Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

cell phone in jersey pocket story (got lucky)

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

cell phone in jersey pocket story (got lucky)

Old 09-21-21, 12:10 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
The safety pin idea seems easy and practical.
Likes For kahn:
Old 09-21-21, 12:48 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4193 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,852 Posts
All my cycling jerseys have deep pockets with elasticated openings so stuff really can't fall out. It's like they thought about it and designed the pockets accordingly. The only zips are on the small key pockets, which makes sense because I want access to the other pockets while I'm riding along (bars, gels etc), so don't want to be messing about with zips. I'm guessing that's why they don't usually have zips.

My phone goes in a Rapha case with a few other bits and bobs, which fits snugly inside my middle jersey pocket. It has no chance of falling out.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-21-21, 01:09 PM
AndrewJB

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Do what the Feds do when they rig you up with a 'wire' to listen in on a private conversation...duct tape your phone to your body beneath the jersey.
And you know this why?
Likes For AndrewJB:
Old 09-21-21, 01:22 PM
BadgerOne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I keep mine safely stowed in my anus for the duration of the ride. Bonus = a notification creates a vibration which tells me it is still there, and not to slow down.
Likes For BadgerOne:
Old 09-21-21, 01:25 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by runner pat
Fanny pack.
Likes For BobsPoprad:
Old 09-21-21, 01:35 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewJB
And you know this why?
I watch a lot of Ray Liotta movies...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-21-21, 01:39 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 1,941 Times in 933 Posts
I imagine if there is an Amber Alert or Tornado Warning you are in Zone 6 for the rest of the ride.

Originally Posted by BadgerOne
I keep mine safely stowed in my anus for the duration of the ride. Bonus = a notification creates a vibration which tells me it is still there, and not to slow down.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-21-21, 01:51 PM
AndrewRc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I use a case cover with a spring loaded belt clip and attach it to my shorts.
Likes For AndrewRc:
Old 09-21-21, 04:22 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
What is the alternative to a jersey pocket?

Cargo pants and cargo shorts that have pockets with zippers or buttons...A small backpack is also great for carrying extra stuff.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-21-21, 04:28 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I can't relate. I have always put my cell phone in my rear center pocket and have never had a problem.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-21-21, 05:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,368 Times in 2,798 Posts
You either have a very small phone or a very large….never mind. Whatever works for you.

Butt seriously, have kept my phones in my jersey pockets ever since phones were invented and never had one leap out, bu then I mostly ride the pavement. When I ride gravel same thing but the gravel trails are smooth. When I MTB my phone goes in a special case attached to my hydration pack.

Last edited by rsbob; 09-21-21 at 05:25 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-21-21, 05:30 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 261 Posts
I have a tiny iPhone CE and keep it in a Pelican case. The bare phone is just too slippery to hold. So a tactile case is my way.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 09-22-21 at 03:39 PM.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 09-21-21, 06:50 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
Thought I'd share a good luck story.

Some time ago, there was a thread about where cyclists keep their cell phone when riding. I've always been in the camp who keeps my phone in my right side jersey pocket and never had an issue.

The other day, I was on a gravel ride with one particular 4.5 mile stretch that I've been on probably 4 times. This section is closed to public car traffic - gated off so cars can't pass through. Up until this ride, I may have seen someone else maybe once or twice. Well, at around the 2 mile mark, I hit one of those sharp bumps that made me wish I wasn't sitting directly on the saddle (!!). At precisely that moment, two joggers approached me from the other direction and one yelled out "your cell phone fell out of your pocket". If we were off by 10 seconds, probably less, they wouldn't have noticed and I wouldn't have noticed until who knows when as I didn't feel it slip out of my pocket nor did I hear it hit the ground.

So, I'll probably still keep my cell phone in my jersey pocket, at least on paved rides, but my confidence has been shaken!
I've heard of people putting a couple of rubber bands around their phone - makes it less slippery and less likely to fly out of your pocket. Alternatively, a safety pin holding the top of your "phone pocket" closed.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 09-22-21, 02:45 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,792 Times in 1,796 Posts
Another alternative -- shorts or bibs with pockets.

A few months ago I noticed Cerotipolar shorts and bibs on Amazon -- low priced but good quality, comparable to Przewalski shorts and bibs which I've worn for about three years. Cerotipolar sells a long inseam padded short with elastic mesh side pockets, for around $20. Worth a risk at that low price. I have thighs slightly longer and disproportionate to my height, so it's hard to find cycling shorts and bibs that don't fit like 1960s-'70s style shorty shorts (looking at you, Eddy Merckx). The Cerotipolar long inseam shorts could be a little longer for me, but still fit very well. I've worn 'em at least a dozen times since May, in rotation with my other bibs and shorts (I have no preference between shorts and bibs). Very good quality for $20. I'll probably order the long inseam bibs with mesh pockets too.

I expected the phone on my thigh would be annoying, but in actual practice I don't even notice it, including wearing those shorts for a couple of 3-5 mile runs this summer (the crotch padding is unnecessary for running, but didn't bother me although it probably looks a fright to onlookers).

The elastic mesh side pockets have been very secure. No problems holding my Moto G Power phone on the left side, and on the right side my mini-wallet, keys and pepper spray. Nothing flops around or threatens to bail out of the pockets.

It's likely if I crashed I'd land on the pockets. I use a decent phone case that has withstood dropping the phone several times when I fumbled it onto my hardwood floor and outdoors on pavement. It'll probably be okay in a crash. But that's always the risk carrying a phone anywhere on our bodies.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-22-21, 02:45 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
One of my jerseys has a small zippered pocket to the side of the 'regular' pockets. I can fit my cash, a few cards (credit, insurance, driver's license) but, unfortunately, it's too small for my cell phone. But, that would be ideal.
Old 09-22-21, 03:07 AM
dennis336

Thanks for all the great ideas. Never really thought much about it before as this is the first time in all the years I've been riding that my phone popped out.

My wife, like a couple others, suggested a safety pin. That's a great idea although may not be choice #1 for me given my habit in how I use my phone. I have off-line maps downloaded to my phone - not for navigation (I either know generally where I'm going or go old-school with printed cue sheets) - that I use to occasionally confirm my location if I'm unsure I've taken the right turn. Essentially, to find my current location to be sure I'm not lost, especially since I ride alone and am sometimes in rural, isolated areas (especially on gravel rides). So, having to fiddle with a safety pin (I'm a klutz) may be a bit of a nuisance I think. Rubber band, less so - that's an interesting idea.

I think I'll try putting my phone in sideways (in jersey pocket, NOT my anus) to see if that keeps it more secure. Hoping this was a once in a lifetime occurance!

Fortunately, I've got an inexpensive phone that I really like. A Moto G Power that I got on sale for $135 so it's not a huge loss if it gets damaged or lost.
Old 09-22-21, 03:12 AM
dennis336

Actually, while the phone popping out of my pocket was the significant part of my initial post, the sheer serendipity and unlikely timing of having joggers cross my path on an isolated road and noticing my phone pop out was the thing that I really thought was very cool and that I bored my family talking about . I was imagining, once I realized my phone was gone, having to drive home to use the "find my phone" app and drive back to try and find it (the ride was over an hour drive from my home).
Old 09-22-21, 03:13 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Fortunately, I've got an inexpensive phone that I really like. A Moto G Power that I got on sale for $135 so it's not a huge loss if it gets damaged or lost.
Do you have a case for it? If not, get something like a silicone grip case, or maybe one of those "tough" phone cases from OtterBox, UAG, etc that also doubles as impact protection.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 09-22-21, 03:17 AM
dennis336

That's a good point. Got lazy in getting the case when I bought the phone but, even aside from cycling with the phone, a protective case, with some grip to it, is a good idea.
Old 09-22-21, 04:49 AM
dennis336

I tried that but it made swiping much more difficult. That, and it was embarrassing going through the metal detector at the airport
Old 09-22-21, 08:46 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,368 Times in 2,798 Posts
One of my jerseys has a small zippered pocket to the side of the 'regular' pockets. I can fit my cash, a few cards (credit, insurance, driver's license) but, unfortunately, it's too small for my cell phone. But, that would be ideal.
I have three jerseys with zippered pockets but have never used the zips, just the three regular pockets. Might be a good place, besides the phone, to stash some bills and then I can launder the money since I will inevitably forget them. Don’t call the Feds.

The rubber band idea is a wiener. Ideally use the big fat ones, like the ones that come on broccoli - one at each end. Might become a fashion statement - that you eat your vegetables.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-22-21, 11:21 AM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Thanks for all the great ideas. Never really thought much about it before as this is the first time in all the years I've been riding that my phone popped out.

My wife, like a couple others, suggested a safety pin. That's a great idea although may not be choice #1 for me given my habit in how I use my phone. I have off-line maps downloaded to my phone - not for navigation (I either know generally where I'm going or go old-school with printed cue sheets) - that I use to occasionally confirm my location if I'm unsure I've taken the right turn. Essentially, to find my current location to be sure I'm not lost, especially since I ride alone and am sometimes in rural, isolated areas (especially on gravel rides). So, having to fiddle with a safety pin (I'm a klutz) may be a bit of a nuisance I think. Rubber band, less so - that's an interesting idea.

I think I'll try putting my phone in sideways (in jersey pocket, NOT my anus) to see if that keeps it more secure. Hoping this was a once in a lifetime occurance!

I think sewing in a velcro system would be easier to deal with for active access.
Likes For kahn:
Old 09-27-21, 11:31 AM
dimini

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
While on road rides, I use a jersey pocket and have not lost anything in the past 4 decades. Ok, now for the alternative that some folks may find repulsive... If I am riding with cycling shorts but no pockets are available, I slip the iPhone 12mini under the shorts on my leg, but NOT the outer side where unfortunate racers are famous for having donated hide in criterium races gone bad. At end of the ride, a quick rinse and towel and phone is just fine.
Likes For dimini:
Old 09-27-21, 12:31 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I wear baggy shorts for most of my off road riding so I have my phone in a zippered pocket, or in my pack. When I wear a road style jersey they have deep enough pockets to keep my phone very secure.
Likes For SlowJoeCrow:
Old 09-27-21, 12:33 PM
bfaIllini

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Roubaix, Infinity seat

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I tuck a bandana over my phone to keep it from slipping out. So far, so good. Rubber bands work okay too. I've used rubber bands to hold my wallet in jerseys without a zipper or button pocket.

My personal policy is to keep my phone, wallet/ID, and key on my person at all times. Never in a bag on the bike. I know from being hit by cars there's no guarantee I won't be separated from the bike. And I've seen other cyclists hit the road so hard they suffered concussions and wouldn't be alert enough to ask someone to retrieve their ID, phone, etc.
Road ID bracelet. Foolproof. Actually unfortunately let ambulance drivers call my wife after bad over the handlebar crash :-(
https://www.roadid.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQ...caAi7AEALw_wcB
Likes For bfaIllini:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.