Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would you like Shimano to make a 34T singlespeed crankset?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Would you like a 34T singlespeed crankset with chainguard?
Yes
0%
No
25.00%
Please stop making polls
75.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-21, 02:37 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts

with a chainguard? I mean even if it is still square taper or even Octalink? I know Shimano might not even notice but just wondering what people think.
Old 09-21-21, 03:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Like this one?

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ...C-M9100-1.html

Chain guards to me are an accessory you can add after the fact. If I am going to have a chain guard, it would be one of those that attaches to the the frame and covers the entire top run of the chain and little more than half the ring. Never cared for the ones on the rings.
Old 09-21-21, 04:49 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,296 Times in 2,690 Posts
^^^That is a cool crank. Versatile.
Old 09-22-21, 01:54 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Like this one?

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ...C-M9100-1.html

Chain guards to me are an accessory you can add after the fact. If I am going to have a chain guard, it would be one of those that attaches to the the frame and covers the entire top run of the chain and little more than half the ring. Never cared for the ones on the rings.
If you run that MTB crank on a road frame you'll need to run spacers because of the shorter shell width and the chain ring will be further out (5mm I think). That affects the chainline which could be a big deal if the bike is actually a single speed with one gear in the back. The q-factor will increase as well.
Old 09-22-21, 08:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
Would you like Shimano to make a 34T singlespeed crankset? with a chainguard? I mean even if it is still square taper or even Octalink? I know Shimano might not even notice but just wondering what people think.
No. I can walk into my garage and select from any number of older 110/74 cranks and just make that myself. Or I could easily buy the same cranks at a local collective or on the c&v forum. They would be Sugino, Shimano, or Sakae- any will work.
Then buy a 34t chainring and chainguard/bash guard and call it good.

My single speed is an old Sakae crank with a 46t ring- its basically what I described and cost $20 in total to compile.
Old 09-22-21, 08:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Lazyass
If you run that MTB crank on a road frame you'll need to run spacers because of the shorter shell width and the chain ring will be further out (5mm I think). That affects the chainline which could be a big deal if the bike is actually a single speed with one gear in the back. The q-factor will increase as well.
True, but I don't know what sort of bike the OP wanted a crank with 34 teeth for. Shimano makes all kinds of them. However in the Shimano road groups, I think it's still all 2x and maybe some 3x.

Pretty much the OP left a lot open for what ever we can imagine. And I sometimes imagine strange things! <grin>
Old 09-22-21, 09:08 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Well, I meant hybrid, but more specifically the ones with 27.5x2.00 tires. I mean for Altus, Acera and Alivio I haven't seen them. They have Nexus or whatever type but with chainrings that are too large.
Old 09-22-21, 09:34 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 483 Posts
Low end gearing options have traditonally been lame with few options.
Old 09-22-21, 09:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Altus, Acera and Alivio have a 50 mm chainline... I think. However none are 1x. In the MTB group there are a lot of single ring cranks. Find one that has a chain line that gives you about 50 mm or what ever yours actually should be and that have a BB that fits your shell.

Here is a document with all the current specs for Shimano components:

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/spec

And at the top of it is a link to archives of older products.

Is it correct that what you are wanting to do is make your currently 2x or 3x hybrid 1x on the front?

Or is this just simply wishing something with no need?
Old 09-24-21, 09:06 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Originally Posted by Iride01
Altus, Acera and Alivio have a 50 mm chainline... I think. However none are 1x. In the MTB group there are a lot of single ring cranks. Find one that has a chain line that gives you about 50 mm or what ever yours actually should be and that have a BB that fits your shell.

Here is a document with all the current specs for Shimano components:

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/spec

And at the top of it is a link to archives of older products.

Is it correct that what you are wanting to do is make your currently 2x or 3x hybrid 1x on the front?

Or is this just simply wishing something with no need?
Actually, I was thinking of getting a Batch Bicycles hybrid and modifying it. Although, I don't think it has the cable stops on the frame to accommodate a front derailleur anyway. Given I think it's probably a cheap Prowheel crankset, I figured it might a choice to change it to something like Shimano Acera. I don't need Deore but I know some bikes like the Devinci Cartier have a single crankset anyway (like other bikes in the hybrid 27.5x2 category).
Old 09-24-21, 10:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Why not just get a bike that has what you want on it and then you won't have to modify it? Or are you doing something unique?

If there is some mod you are wanting to do, then you might get better suggestions if you make full disclosure about most anything you want to do to the bike except for maybe choice of colors.