Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's Your Bike Gear Rabbit Hole?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-21-21, 10:50 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts

Some people like to try every tire that comes out, some chase the perfect saddle, some amass countless bikepacking add-ons, but I seem to buy more handlebars than anything else. Over the last few years I've bought a Jones Loop, a Jones Bend, a Salsa Woodchipper, a Cowchipper, a Spank Spoon, a Ritchey Kyote, a Ritchey Comp Curve, a Surly Sunrise, a Surly Terminal bar, a VO Hwy 1 and a VO Neuevo Randonneur. Granted, that's across six bikes of various types, but my lovely wife has suggested that I might be a handlebar-aholic.

So I'm curious what particular area of bike gear others here find themselves continually pursuing. What's your rabbit hole?

Last edited by Rolla; 09-21-21 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Added "lovely" to "wife"
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-21-21, 10:56 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Pedals were for awhile, but I settled on XTR trail pedals. I have a subset of those bars you listed. Leather saddles.
Old 09-21-21, 11:15 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 528 Posts
Bar tape, boxes full, looking for the right color or texture, finally settled on Charge U Bend tape, for my newer builds, then they stopped making it. Still looking for it’s replacement. Deda Mistrial, and Brooks synthetic closest so far. Still have lots of Newbalms and Benottos for my older builds.
Tim

Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 09-21-21 at 11:19 PM.
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 09-21-21, 11:30 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
spare parts.. just spare whatever, chainrings, i need a stack, sturmey archer hubs, i need the springs, box of 50 for 2 hubs, thank very much, how many nitto technomic stems do i need? i dont know, i’ll let you know after i use the 5 i have stashed… chains, 5. brakes, at least 10 pairs.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Likes For canopus:
Old 09-22-21, 06:24 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 251 Posts
A salsa cow bell drop bar. Nitto drop bars. Nitto trekking bars. Jones bars and now Crazy bars. I have the Koga Denham Bars on back order but If the updated Crazy bars become available first I will try them.
Old 09-22-21, 06:39 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,034 Times in 659 Posts
I’d say handlebars and stems. I’ve done a bit of experimentation on cockpit over the last couple of years. Both my road bike and MTB had drop bars for a few years, but for the last year they have had touring bars. So I’ve got drop bars and Scott AT-3 and AT-4 bars left over.

But then every so often I get the notion to change back to one of the other options, so I probably will at least keep one set of drop bars and an AT-4.

Plus I’m riding only SS, so there is a bin of mostly derailleurs and friction shifters, in case, I want gears on a bike.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-22-21, 06:51 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
When my kids were into cycling I went through a 'lock' phase.
I bought kryptonite, steel, cables, chains, u-locks, combos, keys, stretchy, light weight, heavy, you name it, I got it.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 09-22-21, 07:05 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 2,515 Times in 1,421 Posts
Tires.

I used to never come close to wearing one pair out before wanting to try something new and different.

But now I have pretty well settled on RH Barlow Pass for my road/gravel bike and will soon be buying my 3rd set.

On my MTB, running 26” means there are few new and shiny things to tempt me, and I’ve pretty well settled on DHF for the front, though I’m still in search of the unicorn rear. I think the biggest thing I may like about my next MTB will be all the new options in 27.5 and 29.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-22-21, 08:10 AM
SpectrumTi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Speedplay x-series cleats. I was always afraid they would become permanently unavailable. Also, Campy 10 speed record ultra chains.
Old 09-22-21, 08:39 AM
Rolla

Originally Posted by Nachoman
I bought kryptonite, steel, cables, chains, u-locks, combos, keys, stretchy, light weight, heavy, you name it, I got it.
That's funny -- I did the same thing with my kid. Never lost a bike, though!
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-22-21, 08:41 AM
Rolla

Originally Posted by Rick
have the Koga Denham Bars on back order but If the updated Crazy bars become available first I will try them.
Now yer talkin' -- I'm sure the new Crazy Bar will find its way into my garage at some point!
Old 09-22-21, 08:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Helmets- I have purchased 15 over the last year and returned 13. I went crazy in that rabbit hole- reading all sorts of reviews, youtube vids, views on mips and alternative safety tech, etc. I finally have 2 that I really like, though neither is perfect. I need to go into business and design the perfect helmets since so many brands come really close with nice designs and features, and then crap the bed at the end with some small yet consistently annoying choice.

Jerseys- This last year I decided to go on a journey to find really nice jerseys- a few of em is all. Ive bought at least a dozen mid-high end jerseys and have kept 3. The online fit guides are comically off for many and most would fit around the waist and be long enough, but then a ton of extra fabric around my shoulders would flap in the wind. I would then look at the fit guides again and the companies would claim that size fits someone 20# heavier than me, which is laughable. A couple of higher end jerseys from Voler came were so long that I was able to sit on the jersey while riding my bike. I have a lower level Voler in the same size and cut that fits perfectly, so those higher end junk jerseys were really frustrating, especially since it takes 3 weeks for delivery due to them making the jerseys on demand.
Returned- Eleil, Voler, TwinSix, NeoPro, OrNot
Kept- Sigr, Donkey Label, Rapha(though thats out of laziness since the shoulders flap like crazy)

Actual bike components though?- nah, I am plenty happy with mechanical Ultegra(105 is fine too) and my commute bike has a set of canti brakes from 1989. I am pretty specific about my equipment, but also not very demanding to where I go down rabbit holes.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-22-21, 08:42 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Some people like to try every tire that comes out, some chase the perfect saddle, some amass countless bikepacking add-ons, but I seem to buy more handlebars than anything else. Over the last few years I've bought a Jones Loop, a Jones Bend, a Salsa Woodchipper, a Cowchipper, a Spank Spoon, a Ritchey Kyote, a Ritchey Comp Curve, a Surly Sunrise, a Surly Terminal bar, a VO Hwy 1 and a VO Neuevo Randonneur. Granted, that's across six bikes of various types, but my lovely wife has suggested that I might be a handlebar-aholic.

So I'm curious what particular area of bike gear others here find themselves continually pursuing. What's your rabbit hole?
You have left me almost speechless!!!

Cross-county and telemark skis - about 20 sets. Bike related - they help keep me in shape for biking!
Likes For kahn:
Old 09-22-21, 08:44 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
Handlebars, stems, bike frames, forks, cranksets, pedals, seatposts, saddles, messenger bags and probably a couple other things I’m forgetting.

I’m currently hauling all my bike junk out and organizing it all for my new workshop and am amazed by everything I’ve accumulated over the years. Just amazed lol.

My wife might be right about my “madness.” Don’t tell her or anything, though.
Likes For Rage:
Old 09-22-21, 08:45 AM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Oh, yeah, I can get into "That looks like a better locking system!" And probably compact tool kits.
Old 09-22-21, 08:55 AM
Rolla

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Helmets- I have purchased 15 over the last year and returned 13.
Now I'm curious -- which ones made the podium?

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Jerseys- The online fit guides are comically off
That's a worthy thread topic all by itself!
Old 09-22-21, 09:50 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Now I'm curious -- which ones made the podium?
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ormchaser.html

Kinda funny that the thread title is 6 helmets as that quickly escalated.
I kept a MET Rivale MIPS and an Abus Stormchaser.

The Abus is crazy light, has good ventilation, I love the sewn straps that lie flat, the buckle and strap retention is simple but effective, and fit works great. Padding is minimal, but with a cap I dont care. No MIPS, but I am not convinced that is vital.
The MET is really nicely finished, good ventilation, straps lie flat, comfortable padding, and retention dial is nice. The strap is meant to pull tight each time you put on the helmet which is different but easy to adapt to, but the strap retention band slips every now and then so the strap dangles until you slide it back up.
Both have easy sunglass retention, which was key.

In addition to fitting well and seeming to be well made, I have a couple of really odd and admittedly arbitrary demands- I need my glasses to be over the straps, so helmets where the strap is anchored out from the helmet is a no-go. I wanted white(which eliminated some good options for sure), and I didnt want to look like Toad from Mario.

I ultimately bought...
MET
Kask x2
Poc x3
Abus
Kali x2
Giro x2

Then additionally I tried in stores...
Oakley
Specialized
Bontrager
Lazer
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-22-21, 09:50 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by canopus
spare parts.. just spare whatever, chainrings, i need a stack, sturmey archer hubs, i need the springs, box of 50 for 2 hubs, thank very much, how many nitto technomic stems do i need? i dont know, i’ll let you know after i use the 5 i have stashed… chains, 5. brakes, at least 10 pairs.

This is me to a "T" , I am running out of space to keep it all. I can't bring myself to throw bike parts out. Derailluers , stems, pedals, cable housing and liner .... don't even get me started on motorcycle parts. Need a stock catalytic converter for an 07 S4RS, how about a take off aftermarket silencer for an 09 Hyper ? Monster 1200S rear mudguard ? 1098 Piston .....Its all in there somewhere.

Currently my garage looks like a motorcycle shop exploded inside a bicycle shop.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 09-22-21, 10:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
I think all my possible rabbit holes with respect to bicycles and cycling are too expensive and more money than I'd ever want to shell out money for. So I don't think I've ever gone down a rabbit hole. If I did, then I must have found the perfect solution the first time.
Old 09-22-21, 10:03 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 427 Posts
Panaracer has me hooked on all the different color GravelKing tires. I have more GKs than I have pairs of shoes!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-22-21, 10:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Good lunch places to stop mid-century.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-22-21, 10:42 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by canopus
This is me. It all started with a 9 speed mtb RD. I went to look for an exact replacement and couldn’t find one, even on eBay. One popped up and after getting it, I needed another, and another…

Over the years I have tried to stockpile those parts which will be gone one day, from folding 26” mtb tires to Octalink V1 BB’s, to hubs, to freehub bodies to… whatever.

John

Edit added: And to add insult to injury, we started getting real rabbits a few years ago and I battle to protect my lawn. This year I lost.
Old 09-22-21, 11:25 AM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 60 Posts
Lately it's been pedals. I started riding Eggbeaters last year because the Bebops I grew up with are rare as hens teeth these days. Used pairs can be found for cheap all day long on ebay and craigslist and since I own so many bikes, might as well stock up. They're easy to take apart to overhaul and rebuild kits are cheap if they're needed.

Somebody mentioned locks and I got lucky there, basically one and done for me. A birthday gift from my dad when I started college was the Kryptonite New York chain paired with a good shrouded Master Lock he had in the shop. It's no featherweight at 15 pounds but I have been able to confidently lock my bike anywhere in the San Francisco Bay Area for 15 years without worrying about it. There's been more than one instance of bikes on the same rack as mine having their locks cut and stolen but mine was left alone. It's also long enough to go through both wheels. Won't trust or use any other lock.
Old 09-22-21, 11:33 AM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Gadgets. Lights, bells, GoPro mounts, bottle cages, bottle cage mounts, and Xtracycle accessories. My lists on ebay and Amazon are extensive and I usually buy one or two things each paycheck just to try something new.
Old 09-22-21, 11:39 AM
themrbruceguy

Bikes: Early 70's Stella -> Gravel SS Conversion, 2019 Trek Stache SS

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bikepacking bike bags.. So many brands lol
Likes For themrbruceguy:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.