Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's Your Bike Gear Rabbit Hole?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's Your Bike Gear Rabbit Hole?

Old 09-22-21, 02:01 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I went nuts on gravel tires .. I got six different models to try out. I did in the end find some awesome tires, but after that excess I vowed to not go down the rabbit hole on any other bike part.

I now need to find good homes for all the tires I am not planning on using. I gave some to friends and have a local bike repair charity I plan to donate the rest to.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 09-22-21, 02:10 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
it's a toss up between spare parts/upgrades & gadgets.

As of late it's been spare cassettes. Putting together the gearing that's not particularly sold as an assembly really starts to accumulate the cogs.
Old 09-22-21, 02:47 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
No single rabbit hole, but I do have a couple of spares for pretty much every part on a road bike. They're not all compatible of course, otherwise I'd have built up the spare frames by now.
Old 09-22-21, 02:52 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 1,941 Times in 933 Posts
Developing novel routes from home is what I spend most of my time on so that is my rabbit hole.
I hate wasting time traveling to a location just to start a ride. There are exceptions like vacations.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-22-21, 03:02 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18302 Post(s)
Liked 4,470 Times in 3,326 Posts
You know, I actually fell down the BIKE GEAR rabbit hole.

And it largely began with C&V.

Ok, so years ago I wanted a little higher gearing and I found a 54T front chainring to replace the ailing 52T (had been drilled, broken,and welded before I got it, and eventually broken again). Of course 42T for the low chainring, and eventually 41T.

I could occasionally find 12T freewheels, but had troubles with them skipping, so I generally rode something like a 13-21 or 13-23 freewheel.

Masher at Heart, I found myself riding slammed in the 13/54 combo most of the time.

Fast forward to about 6 years ago and I found an 11-28 DNP Epoch 7-speed freewheel. Unfortunately the 11-13-15-18-21-24-28 gearing had too many gaps for my taste.

I then discovered that I could go hog wild with a Capreo 9-26 9-speed cassette (9,10,11,13,15,17,20,23,26).

Again, like the DNP Epoch, I was missing the 12T and 14T.

So, I discovered I could make a hybrid cassette: 9,10,11,12,13,14,15,17,19.

I did reasonably well with that, but started hunting for a couple of lower gears.

My next iteration was a whole new bike build.
39-54 front, 11-speed on the rear, modified hybrid 11-speed cassette: 9,10,11,12,13,14,15,17,19,21,23

I was reasonably happy with that combination until I got sucked into some hill climb rides and started bottoming out on the low end.

So, new crankset and got: 34-53 x 9-23 11-speed.

Time for the next generation?
I may give up on the 9T, and go with:

SRAM Red 12-speed with (10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,24,28), and figure out what to mate with it.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-22-21, 03:22 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
I guess my bike gear rabbit hole is a bike gearing rabbit hole. I've got five bikes and approx. two shelves of my bike parts are freewheels, cassettes, loose FW and cassette cogs, and chainrings.
Old 09-22-21, 03:40 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
You know, I actually fell down the BIKE GEAR rabbit hole.

And it largely began with C&V.

Ok, so years ago I wanted a little higher gearing and I found a 54T front chainring to replace the ailing 52T (had been drilled, broken,and welded before I got it, and eventually broken again). Of course 42T for the low chainring, and eventually 41T.

I could occasionally find 12T freewheels, but had troubles with them skipping, so I generally rode something like a 13-21 or 13-23 freewheel.

Masher at Heart, I found myself riding slammed in the 13/54 combo most of the time.

Fast forward to about 6 years ago and I found an 11-28 DNP Epoch 7-speed freewheel. Unfortunately the 11-13-15-18-21-24-28 gearing had too many gaps for my taste.

I then discovered that I could go hog wild with a Capreo 9-26 9-speed cassette (9,10,11,13,15,17,20,23,26).

Again, like the DNP Epoch, I was missing the 12T and 14T.

So, I discovered I could make a hybrid cassette: 9,10,11,12,13,14,15,17,19.

I did reasonably well with that, but started hunting for a couple of lower gears.

My next iteration was a whole new bike build.
39-54 front, 11-speed on the rear, modified hybrid 11-speed cassette: 9,10,11,12,13,14,15,17,19,21,23

I was reasonably happy with that combination until I got sucked into some hill climb rides and started bottoming out on the low end.

So, new crankset and got: 34-53 x 9-23 11-speed.

Time for the next generation?
I may give up on the 9T, and go with:

SRAM Red 12-speed with (10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,24,28), and figure out what to mate with it.
I keep the low stuff mainly to have something to sprint out of any problem area when needed. Otherwise I'd ditch the 27+ stuff & close in the gaps that I have now.
Old 09-22-21, 04:32 PM
rumstove
Riding after dark

Bikes: Raleigh Tripper (coaster brake), Raleigh One Way, '97 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 25 Posts
- Helmets. Never wore a helmet in the past but lately I've been wanting to. I'm already sick of using my old skateboard helmet but due to low stock at shops within driving distance (3 hours round trip) finding a bike helmet I like is proving to be a challenge. I think I've read every helmet thread on this forum and lots or research already. I'm determined to find one I enjoy wearing.
- Saddles are always an issue. I've bought a few saddles that I didn't like at all. I think 2 out of my 3 bikes are now finally good. Bike #3 the jury is still out.
- Stems and bars were a problem for my old Rockhopper. Bought a few duds that didn't work out but I think I now finally found a good combination.
- Pedals for Rockhopper. Now that stem and bars are figured out I'm onto pedals. After doing way more research than one should for pedals I finally ordered some so fingers crossed I'm done.

I did do lots of research on fenders and lights in the past but luckily I nailed those on the first try. Hooray!
Old 09-22-21, 06:46 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by rumstove
- Helmets. Never wore a helmet in the past but lately I've been wanting to. I'm already sick of using my old skateboard helmet but due to low stock at shops within driving distance (3 hours round trip) finding a bike helmet I like is proving to be a challenge. I think I've read every helmet thread on this forum and lots or research already. I'm determined to find one I enjoy wearing.
Hmmm...

I have a Lumos Ultra (2nd version) on order with Indiegogo.
It is supposed to be MIPS, and have lights.

On order since August 2020. They keep promising it is close. Apparently I ordered an XL, and if I had ordered a L, it would have already gotten here... maybe.

Been chomping at the bit to get it, especially as day are rapidly getting shorter.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-22-21, 07:23 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 4,767 Times in 2,200 Posts
Rabbit hole? Kinda like elephant hole!

Vintage Euro/UK bikes - not so much vintage ‘gear’.
All riders. Maybe tubular tires are my rabbit hole.

A few.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 09-22-21, 07:31 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Something is multiplying like rabbits there!!!!
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-22-21, 08:38 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

Vintage Euro/UK bikes - not so much vintage ‘gear’.
All riders. Maybe tubular tires are my rabbit hole.

A few.
Is your museum open for the general public who also live in the Seattle area?
Old 09-22-21, 08:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,368 Times in 2,798 Posts
What do I buy the most of? Used to be tubes and patch kits (yes I am boringly practical). Since I went tubeless, Orange sealant.

What I have more of than anything else are jerseys and shorts. Real fun, huh?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-22-21, 09:36 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Something is multiplying like rabbits there!!!!
Slower growth than rabbits. And none of them die off, they just get new parts to suit their future goals. But the elephant hole is full.
Old 09-22-21, 09:41 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by kahn
Is your museum open for the general public who also live in the Seattle area?
Price of admission is a wheel truing. Bring your own stand. Free rides on vintage euro bikes, 60 +/-2cm. South side of Cougar Mt.
Old 09-23-21, 03:36 AM
bowwow

Bikes: Miyata, Bridgestone, Trek

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Helmets- I have purchased 15 over the last year and returned 13. I went crazy in that rabbit hole- reading all sorts of reviews, youtube vids, views on mips and alternative safety tech, etc. I finally have 2 that I really like, though neither is perfect. I need to go into business and design the perfect helmets since so many brands come really close with nice designs and features, and then crap the bed at the end with some small yet consistently annoying choice.

Jerseys- This last year I decided to go on a journey to find really nice jerseys- a few of em is all. Ive bought at least a dozen mid-high end jerseys and have kept 3. The online fit guides are comically off for many and most would fit around the waist and be long enough, but then a ton of extra fabric around my shoulders would flap in the wind. I would then look at the fit guides again and the companies would claim that size fits someone 20# heavier than me, which is laughable. A couple of higher end jerseys from Voler came were so long that I was able to sit on the jersey while riding my bike. I have a lower level Voler in the same size and cut that fits perfectly, so those higher end junk jerseys were really frustrating, especially since it takes 3 weeks for delivery due to them making the jerseys on demand.
Returned- Eleil, Voler, TwinSix, NeoPro, OrNot
Kept- Sigr, Donkey Label, Rapha(though thats out of laziness since the shoulders flap like crazy)

Actual bike components though?- nah, I am plenty happy with mechanical Ultegra(105 is fine too) and my commute bike has a set of canti brakes from 1989. I am pretty specific about my equipment, but also not very demanding to where I go down rabbit holes.
That's hilarious! Some people just can't be pleased...
Likes For bowwow:
Old 09-23-21, 07:36 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Originally Posted by bowwow
That's hilarious! Some people just can't be pleased...
bless your heart for trying. dont give up, you will get better with practice.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-23-21, 08:51 AM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
My first reaction is ... bikes!

But I don't have half as many bikes than half of the poster here. So that isn't a legitimate rabbit hole...

I'd say for me is wheels!

It's a byproduct of my obsession with tires. Not just trying different ones. But choosing which one to use for each ride!

So, in order not to spent as much time mounting and dismounting tires as I actually ride, I bought wheels to keep the more frequently used tires on. Naturally, as I'm obsessed with tires, might as well get the "right" wheels for the condition the tires are meant for!

Also, if helmets counts, I'd say shoes counts also, right? I've got quite a few pair in the process of finding the best fit ones...

Don't get me started about shorts. Though I think for most here, shorts are consider consumables. You never actually accumulate shorts no matter how many you buy.
Likes For atnyc:
Old 09-23-21, 12:02 PM
bowwow

bless your heart for trying. dont give up, you will get better with practice.
Cmon, you gotta admit, it's laughable. It sounds like something from a Seinfeld episode - "George Castanza goes for a Jersey". "this one is too big, this one is too small, too long, not long enough, this one flaps in the wind, etc.

A dozen jerseys and a dozen or so helmets. Haha ha, funny stuff.
Unless of course, you are serious. If you are serious, I shouldn't make light of it.

You're not serious, are you? A dozen jerseys and a dozen helmets, and still can't find the right one? Seriously? My wife can spend hours trying on dresses and not go through that many.
Old 09-23-21, 12:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Originally Posted by bowwow
Cmon, you gotta admit, it's laughable. It sounds like something from a Seinfeld episode - "George Castanza goes for a Jersey". "this one is too big, this one is too small, too long, not long enough, this one flaps in the wind, etc.

A dozen jerseys and a dozen or so helmets. Haha ha, funny stuff.
Unless of course, you are serious. If you are serious, I shouldn't make light of it.

You're not serious, are you? A dozen jerseys and a dozen helmets, and still can't find the right one? Seriously? My wife can spend hours trying on dresses and not go through that many.
As I posted, I found 2 helmets I like and the rest were returned.
Same with jerseys.

I have said multiple times that it was a pretty ridiculous hunt due to my pickiness over a few very specific and ultimately unimportant details which others may not care about.
I could have just bought something from a shop locally, but I would be limited to a few helmets in a color I didnt want or jerseys that are predominantly glow bright yellow and fit like a trash bag.
Old 09-23-21, 12:36 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 973 Posts
Lately.....getting rid of all the looser fit older jerseys I had and getting more "purpose built" speedsuits for training on the TT bike. It's a bit annoying on long fast TT rides listening to flappy kit, not to mention just plain sacrilegious. So, I for a bit got into buying good condition used San Remos and the like. Short sleeve, aero, has pockets, all checks.

Otherwise, TT bike junk. Amass junk.......go testing.....sell junk.
Old 09-23-21, 12:41 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
In the rabbit hole?
Alice.
Old 09-23-21, 12:49 PM
bowwow

As I posted, I found 2 helmets I like and the rest were returned.
Same with jerseys.

I have said multiple times that it was a pretty ridiculous hunt due to my pickiness over a few very specific and ultimately unimportant details which others may not care about.
I could have just bought something from a shop locally, but I would be limited to a few helmets in a color I didnt want or jerseys that are predominantly glow bright yellow and fit like a trash bag.
Well, it's good that you finally found a helmet and jersey which are acceptable.

In the future try to be a little less picky. All that unnecessary extra shipping and handling cost winds up being passed on to the rest of us consumers.
Old 09-23-21, 03:41 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Just.... wow. ^

Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-23-21, 06:07 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Any Guerciotti or Merckx and Campagnolo 10 speed anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.