Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do you ride that old steel road bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do you ride that old steel road bike?

Old 04-23-12, 07:58 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
My 73 World Traveler is more comfortable than my other bikes.
Old 04-23-12, 08:13 PM
andboy

Bikes: Trek Madon 4.5, Fausto Coppi Masciaghi

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have my new shiny carbon bike, my lightish aly hybrid, and my heavy as hell 1987 Bianchi. Dry it's about 35lb, with rack and panniers, clothes and laptop, I don't want to know!

What I do know is it's fun to ride, and when I do get on my shiny carbon I FLY!
Old 04-23-12, 08:14 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I had an aluminum bike when my 93 Giant Sedona with double butting was bashed in the rear triangle from a race crash(which pushed the left seatstay into the tire but it still finished the race without an issue). Giant XTC hardtail. Great manuverable and zippy sports car, but I found myself riding less and less because it didn't feel "right" for me. A couple months later I found a donor tube from an old road bike and had my fab welder put it in(not easy on the thin portion of the butting) and been riding since. She also has a disc brake tab welded on that I made, 10 yrs and rolling with no cracking or give. In fact the custom brake mount is stiffer and more secure than the factory one from the XTC.

Since then I managed to find another Sedona for a backup...not an easy proposition since they dumbed them down to aluminum cruisers nowdays.
Old 04-23-12, 08:39 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 2,132 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
Wrong. The world is full of 40-year-old steel bikes. You're never going to see that with carbon.
Interesting story about a company who's been making carbon fiber bikes for 20 years

https://www.aegisbicycles.com/pdfs/Bu..._booklet07.pdf
Old 04-23-12, 08:41 PM
shadoman

Bikes: Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Cannondale ST400, Fuji Palisade, GT Timberline FS, Raleigh Technium 420, Schwinn Moab, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn Tempo, Specialized Sirrus Elite (aluminum), Specialized Sirrus Triple (steel), Trek 7.6, Viner Road Record

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 19 Posts
I ride steel ( and one aluminum/steel mix ) because the only time I ever rode a CF frame , I broke it.
Old 04-23-12, 08:54 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 2,132 Times in 1,438 Posts
My steel Waterford weights within 2 lbs of my fastest (CF Cervelo). So steel can be light as well as comfortable.
Old 04-23-12, 09:26 PM
tonyjaja

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
always old bike

Old 04-23-12, 09:39 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by MightyLegnano
I own an Italian Legnano Corsa road bike with original components (down to the bolts), a french Mercier Special Tour De France road bike with new components, an Ideal Target mountain bike/tourer with new components and a high end modern full suspension alluminium Ideal Vsr Pro. I've rolled on them for hundreds of thousands of miles all around my country (races, touring, commuting). The 3 of 4 bikes are made of steel as you may already know. The best steel available at the time. So, I may not be a frame builder but I've ridden on good steel ALL my life. So, I'm sorry but I know about good steel bikes.

And I think you've got wrong my intentions. My original post wasn't written in a literal sense, more in a poetic exaggerated way to make us all externalize our adoration for the beauty of great old bikes.
My apologies, but when I read your question, I toke to mean that you thought that all steel bikes are old school and heavy, which I don't agree with.

So back to your question, the only bike that I own that falls into the old school and heavy category is my 84 specialized stump jumper and I can't stand to ride that bike, but that is because it has straight handlebars and never feels comfortable.

Now why do I ride my old steel road bikes, is that I ride them to make sure that they are is good shape since they rarely get out and sometimes I like the feel of the old campy equipment. Also the older campy stuff looks so nice.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 04-23-12 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-23-12, 09:58 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
The question was not "why do you ride a cheap bike?" it was "why do you ride that old steel bike?"

The bike frame that you mentioned, I would not consider old, but that's a matter of one's perspective.
Old 04-23-12, 11:53 PM
Ecrevisse

Bikes: Steel is real. All others need not apply.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My bikes are steel frames with lugs. They are not beat up and since I'm never going to be like Lance Armstrong, I don't care that my bikes are heavier than carbon fiber made in China.
Old 04-24-12, 12:09 AM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The Viscount frame was straight-gauge chrome-moly, and quite thin walled, which made it more flexy than high-end frames built using double-butted tubing. But it was quite a bargain in its day.

Reynolds 531 first hit the market in 1935 and dominated high end steel frames for half a century. The new alloys are not necessarily stronger than 531, but rather more amenable to modern manufacturing methods -- e.g. TIG welding and automated processes rather than low temperature hand brazing.
But my point is that steel is no more real than aluminum. You don't mine steel you maunfacture it. And they add things to it to get from 531 to the newer steel frames. The goal was always the same with a road bike, lighter, less flex. For me I don't care how they get there, the material doesn't matter as much as the ability to tune the frame. I would consider a Calfee if it improved flex and weight and was in my budget. I do like Waterfords but I don't like them more than my Klein.

For this forum I would expect to see more riders on old steel. What I don't see is an equal representation in the real world where I live. At least not with road bikes. There has to be a reason and I don't believe the consumer was fooled into moving away from steel. Yes they make some custom steel bikes that are pretty impressive and I am sure some of them ride very well. But I am not sure they ride any better than any other bike made of Aluminum or Cf or Bamboo. I didn't say anyone should dump their old steel bike I only said it is very unlikely that I would go back to steel now that the other materials have improved as well.
Old 04-24-12, 01:21 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
For this forum I would expect to see more riders on old steel. What I don't see is an equal representation in the real world where I live. At least not with road bikes. There has to be a reason and I don't believe the consumer was fooled into moving away from steel. Yes they make some custom steel bikes that are pretty impressive and I am sure some of them ride very well. But I am not sure they ride any better than any other bike made of Aluminum or Cf or Bamboo. I didn't say anyone should dump their old steel bike I only said it is very unlikely that I would go back to steel now that the other materials have improved as well.
It's true that frame geometry matters more than material, and I have heard frame builders say that as far as ride quality is concerned, nothing they can do with the frame will make a bigger difference than the choice of tyres.

Bt that doesn't mean there is no difference in the characteristics of the materials. There's a reason many high-end aluminium bikes (and some steel ones, too) use carbon forks, and there is no doubt that my old steel frame responds differently, and distinctly, from my carbon bikes when hitting bumps or rough surfaces. Part of that is geometry - the CF has a compact frame - but some of it is the steel tubing.

I don't say steel is a superior material to CF for bike-building, despite the (to my eyes) wonderful elegance of a classic steel frame. But if I was spending the sort of money that a top-end road bike now costs, I'd consider going custom steel, because a really good frame builder can make you a bike that meets your specifications and preferences with regard to riding style and "feel". You might find that by shopping around between the carbon alternatives available, but you might not.

And did I mention that a great steel frame is a thing of beauty? Oh, so I did.
Old 04-24-12, 01:35 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride my mid-grade chrome and blue Canadian / Japanese Sekine because my parents bought it for me in '75. I had the best bike around. It's not old and beat up, just old, and in great shape. I don't think I realized until the last few years how much mom and dad sacrificed to get that bike for me.
Old 04-24-12, 07:01 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 313 Posts
I love them, grew up learning to ride the fogline on them. Now that I'm older these gems are still available and for the first time in my life I can have more than one of them. The ride on my Trek 460 racer is like none other, very responsive, light, quick and it fits me like an old baseball glove.....new ones just dont feel right.

I just picked up the Raleigh Technium for 100.00 in absolute gorgeous condition two days ago so I'll get to see how aluminum feels.

Having a new bike just is not necessary for me at this point in life. Each of my 3 bikes serve an important and distinctive style of riding.....and they have class.
Old 04-24-12, 07:33 PM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
I'll save my breathe cause this is a dead horse.
Old 05-01-12, 07:31 PM
surlyman

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Surly Karate Monkey, Schwinn Tempo (first bike), Schwinn Woodlands adventure/trekking bike, Trek 700 backup touring/bad weather bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For the same reason I have owned numerous classic air cooled Porsche 911's instead of a newer Porsche Boxster or 996. Some things are just classic and even though they don't necessarily perform as well as their modern counterparts in every way there is a certain satisfaction in driving/riding them. My current stable of bikes that I ride consists of five steel frames, zero aluminum (although I've owned quite a few), and zero carbon fiber.
Old 05-01-12, 08:01 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
There it is. For some reason, when people bash steel bikes, they seem to be talking about the steel bikes made in about 1955.
And if I worried whether my bike looked "manly," I'd be worried.
My Lenton "Reg Harris Road Model" is a 1955 model... built of Reynolds 531 and it has earned it's big C, many little c's and managed to do a sub hour 40. It was built as an all rounder that you could ride to work from Monday to Friday and then take out on club rides and events on the weekend.

Fast forward to the 70's and you have my hand built Ron Cooper... steel bikes just don't get any better than this and it curbs out at < 21 pounds with some Zeus titanium brakes and no carbon fibre. It is a 10 in every way save for the fact the frame is a little scruffy from years of use.

My steel XC bike was built here and weighs 23 pounds... it is one of my favourite bikes.

This week I picked up another hand built, a Proctor that was built here in the mid nineties and the shop scale says it weighs 21 pounds and when I source some proper racing wheels it should come in at 19 - 19.5. It is a gorgeous, fast, and extremely agile bike.

Old 05-01-12, 08:06 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A Ron Cooper? If that was my size I may have to kill you for it.
Old 05-01-12, 08:33 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Dibs on the Lenton. Need to borrow some rat poison?
Old 05-01-12, 09:04 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Six jours
Dibs on the Lenton. Need to borrow some rat poison?
The Lenton was purchased and ridden by it's original owner for 50 years and he was a serious racer... when I got the bike I became it's second owner and had to restore the mudguards as the originals had been removed many decades earlier and mounted the rack so I could carry a little on my commute on what have been many metric centuries and a number of full centuries.

It hits the curb at 30 pounds with the rack and it is an "All Steel" bicycle... albeit with stainless Dunlop wheels.

I have quite a few bicycles but few are as smooth and comfortable as the Lenton... it is not as agile as the Cooper or Proctor but riding it is effortless as everything is so incredibly smooth.

You are going to have to wait until I die to get this one.

Anyone who has checked out "My Bicycles"" will know I am a huge fan of these vintage steel machines and that is not limited to the lightweights.
Old 05-01-12, 09:42 PM
lungimsam

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanSeven
My steel Waterford weights within 2 lbs of my fastest (CF Cervelo). So steel can be light as well as comfortable.
Show that Waterford!! Post a pic if you can, please.
Old 01-21-13, 02:05 PM
turky lurkey

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR600, 1965 Schwinn Super Sport, 1973 Schwinn World Voyaguer, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1985 Specialized Rockhopper, 1988 Schwinn Traveler

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Last week I bought an '87 schwinn le tour for $20.00. New tires and tubes cost me about $36.00. New chain about: $18.00. New cables and housing: $8.00. Lube and grease used: about $5.00. White nail polish for touch up: $1.00 Time spend overhauling the bike: about a day and half of pure fun. Grand total $88.00!!!! WOW! What a good deal. I love that bike now, just came back from about a twenty mile ride and the thing fly's with all new grease and cables etc. That is why I love old steel bikes! I'm in college and don't have a lot of money, but honestly even if I had a lot of money I think I might have a hard time spending thousands of dollars on a bike when I can get such an awesome one for 88.00 dollars.

Last edited by turky lurkey; 01-21-13 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-21-13, 02:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Yawn
Old 01-21-13, 02:24 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Yawn
The OP was yanking people's chain... the horse was already long dead when you started beating it.

Old 01-21-13, 03:16 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The Viscount frame was straight-gauge chrome-moly, and quite thin walled, which made it more flexy than high-end frames built using double-butted tubing. But it was quite a bargain in its day.

Reynolds 531 first hit the market in 1935 and dominated high end steel frames for half a century. The new alloys are not necessarily stronger than 531, but rather more amenable to modern manufacturing methods -- e.g. TIG welding and automated processes rather than low temperature hand brazing.
John, would you not agree that modern alloys from Reynolds 753 on up to 953, Columbus Niobium, and TruTemper OX-Plat and S3 are stronger steel materials than 531? I think that case is pretty clear. What's not as clear is whether tubing products made of them with thinner walls are as durable in the same usage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.