Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Possible MTB BB issue?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Possible MTB BB issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-11, 02:22 PM
LuMax

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Tarmac 2019 "Sagan" Edition

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Possible MTB BB issue?

Today I started the upgrade from my old Shimano XT triple components to my new SRAM XO 2X10 group. My bike is a 2009 Ellsworth Epiphany.

I carefully removed the XT BB just now using my Park BBT-19 tool (I triple checked before I started to make certain I did not turn it the wrong way) and was a bit shocked to find metal shavings on the BB.

The cranks were spinning freely with no drag or weird noises and the crank shaft is clean with no marks or damage that I can see.
The BB bearings also spin smoothly (the outside bearing shell is a tad dirty in the photo above though).

Inside the frame BB there is one spot that almost looks like it could be wear although I think it may be from when they machined the threads into the BB.
The other issue is the dark area inside the frame BB.
There are no threads where the dark (anodized) area is, and the dark threads along side of it are very shallow, obviously machined incorrectly at the factory.
Is this a problem and/or will it be a problem when installing the new Truvativ GXP BB?
All of the other threads appear to be perfect.

Do you think the metal shavings were just left inside the frame from machining at the factory?

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-18-11, 02:35 PM
jimc101

Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
There is plenty of thread in there for the new BB to hold on to, take it that the XT was factory fitted.

Many be work taking it to your LBS and getting them to tap and chase the BB, I recently had this done on a new frame, and it makes a massive difference to the ease of install; saying that, your BB shell has probably had this done, as it looks clean, and the metal shavings are swarf which wasn't cleaned out fully. Would guess that there may be some ovalizarion to the BB shell, which is why there is an area with out threads, as long as the ends of the BB shell are correctly faced, this should not be an issue.
Old 03-18-11, 06:13 PM
LuMax

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Tarmac 2019 "Sagan" Edition

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I think you are correct regarding the shavings.
I didn't think about it prior to my initial post, but all of the shavings were on the outside of the BB shell so they could not be from the bearings or crank.
I used my air compressor in the bottle cage holes and was able to dislodge another small fragment from inside the frame so I think I am good to go. They must have been left in their from machining at the factory. The guys that did the original build must have missed them prior to assembly.

Will call the LBS about a face & chase. Thanks.