Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

G'day from Downunder

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

G'day from Downunder

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-20, 04:57 AM
brumby33

Bikes: Vivente World Randoneur (Australian Made)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vintavelo
[QUOE=brumby33;21207789]

Dave
[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha Yeah...we call it the Coat Hanger, it's a term we've used since the 70's

Yes every year The Sydney Harbour Bridge has featured on our famous New Year Fireworks year in and year out, millions flock the shores to watch it and it's become super famous Internationally that a good proportion of those who flock the shores are overseas tourists.
Because this time we've had a lot of bushfires around the Country there were calls to cut off the fireworks this year due to the total fire-ban that was in place state wide but because this was Months in the planning, and the Money spent, approximately $7 Million, it was given the go ahead, only I think because it was over water, many other Cities weren't so lucky and had cancelled their fireworks but I had noticed though that this year the fireworks were more centred around the Bridge and not out wide like other years, I think this was to keep it more contained and prevent fires around Sydney...it's been incredibly dry. With $7mil spent on Fireworks, Sydney makes well over $100 Million from visitors to our City on this night.....not a bad investment!!
Our Pyrotechnicians are some of the best in the world if not The Best and every year they have shown that and every year the fireworks on New Year in Sydney has become Famous. Sydney is one of the Very First World Cities besides Auckland and other New Zealand Cities to See in the New Year.
Come on over and check it out yourself, you can ride a bike over the bridge but you gotta carry it down a steep flight of stairs on the Northern end ....lol

brumby33
Old 02-06-20, 10:51 AM
Vintavelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Bridge

Coverage of the fires brought up California, People here really did feel for everybody there. The smoke alone is crazy when your advised “Don’t go outside, get air purifiers (If you can find one) don’t breath?
Used to live downtown Seattle when they started using the Space Needle as a platform (to windy this year) Still try & watch that - Awesome to use an existing structure to show case a display. With time zones it’s been cool to see what other Countries are doing. First time I saw “a wave” fan across the bridge it dawned on me; The Needle’s vertical (cool for elevations) The Bridge (Horizontal) or the arch that it presents. The money to pull this stuff off sure could solve some problems. Amazing sight to see though.
Your bike looks perfect for STP (Seattle To Portland)
✌️
Old 02-06-20, 12:57 PM
brumby33

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Coverage of the fires brought up California, People here really did feel for everybody there. The smoke alone is crazy when your advised “Don’t go outside, get air purifiers (If you can find one) don’t breath?
Used to live downtown Seattle when they started using the Space Needle as a platform (to windy this year) Still try & watch that - Awesome to use an existing structure to show case a display. With time zones it’s been cool to see what other Countries are doing. First time I saw “a wave” fan across the bridge it dawned on me; The Needle’s vertical (cool for elevations) The Bridge (Horizontal) or the arch that it presents. The money to pull this stuff off sure could solve some problems. Amazing sight to see though.
Your bike looks perfect for STP (Seattle To Portland)
✌️
Yeah I'd love to do a tour down the West Coast to experience what it's like to ride on the wrong side of the road

I'd love to go to Eugene to take a tour of the Co-Motion bike factory...lovely bikes....maybe if our dollar (the Aussie Peso) goes up against the greenback one day, it could be worthwhile. Canada also looks awesome to tour but i'm afraid of being eaten by a Bear lol.

brumby33
Old 02-06-20, 03:06 PM
Vintavelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brumby33
Yeah I'd love to do a tour down the West Coast to experience what it's like to ride on the wrong side of the road

I'd love to go to Eugene to take a tour of the Co-Motion bike factory...lovely bikes....maybe if our dollar (the Aussie Peso) goes up against the greenback one day, it could be worthwhile. Canada also looks awesome to tour but i'm afraid of being eaten by a Bear lol.

brumby33
Oregon rocks; Riding, Skiing, Windsurfing & Hwy. 101 down Ca. There’s a reason songs were written about it. Hope ya make it one day.
No Koala Bears up there
Old 02-06-20, 03:42 PM
brumby33

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Oregon rocks; Riding, Skiing, Windsurfing & Hwy. 101 down Ca. There’s a reason songs were written about it. Hope ya make it one day.
No Koala Bears up there
No but you got something bigger than can actually eat you.....isn't Bear's what Whistler is famous for?
I don't think I could outride a Bear.
Old 02-09-20, 03:59 PM
JITADIA
Banned.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Karweng, Vivente uses the same frame on all their models except the smallest because it uses 26 inch wheels, the other models from M to XXL use same frame just different measurements....you can check it out here for your siz
Likes For JITADIA:
Old 02-10-20, 01:01 AM
brumby33

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JITADIA
Hi Karweng, Vivente uses the same frame on all their models except the smallest because it uses 26 inch wheels, the other models from M to XXL use same frame just different measurements....you can check it out here for your siz
I'm sad now because Noel has scrapped the Vivente Patagonia with the drop bars and bar end shifters with hydraulic TRP brakes......he has moved more towards the Rholhoff rear 14 speed hubs with the gates belt drive. ....pity!!

brumby33
Old 02-10-20, 02:18 AM
Karweng

Bikes: Dahon Formula S18, Dahon Helios, Birdy MK2 Rofloff, Canondale Caad 9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Omafiets still have a few Vivente running derailleur in stock, unfortunately they do not have one assembled in the right size for me to try out.

I like how thin the size of the steel tubes used on the bike.

Cheers,
karweng
Old 02-10-20, 04:02 PM
brumby33

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Karweng
Omafiets still have a few Vivente running derailleur in stock, unfortunately they do not have one assembled in the right size for me to try out.

I like how thin the size of the steel tubes used on the bike.

Cheers,
karweng

Hi Karweng

What sizing are you after...the S or M? As you may be aware, Omafiets have just moved shop to Mitchell St Alexandria and may not have had the opportunity to build one up, I'm sure they will if you order it but to have one ready if it's not a regular sizing might be hard. I think Vivente only have 2 derailiur models left now, the Anatolia and Deccan. My Patagonia (model no longer avail) is a Large model.

Which size are you after and what handlebar type? If you're not keen on drop bars they can be changed but the brake and gear changing sets may have to be as well. Apart from the drop bars, I highly recommend the trekking bars as they were on my first Vivente a couple of years ago.

regards

brumby33
Old 02-11-20, 07:30 PM
Karweng

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi brumby33,

I had my wheel repaired at Omafiets new shop at Mitchelle St, the guy at the store advised they had most the old stocks before the move and new ones are still in boxes.

I managed to find a used Kona Sutra 2011 that fits me and snapped it very quickly. The Kona Sutra is very similar to the Vivente Patagonia geometry and dropbar and with bar end shifters. The Kona Sutra rides well, but I found the racks, fenders and components not as high quality compared Vivente uses. Overall, I can't complain about the bike.

Cheers,
karweng

Last edited by Karweng; 02-11-20 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-12-20, 04:56 PM
brumby33

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi brumby33,

I had my wheel repaired at Omafiets new shop at Mitchelle St, the guy at the store advised they had most the old stocks before the move and new ones are still in boxes.

I managed to find a used Kona Sutra 2011 that fits me and snapped it very quickly. The Kona Sutra is very similar to the Vivente Patagonia geometry and dropbar and with bar end shifters. The Kona Sutra rides well, but I found the racks, fenders and components not as high quality compared Vivente uses. Overall, I can't complain about the bike.

Cheers,
karweng
Karweng...congrats on the Kona Sutra find.....they are a very good bike and well respected worldwide and more known worldwide than Vivente.
If I didn't buy a Vivente or know about them at the time of purchase, Kona Sutra and Trek520 was 2nd and 3rd on the list respectively....didn't know much about Surly at the time either so that would've been in the top 3 as well.
As far as the racks are concerned, I think the Tubus Racks are among the best out there and whilst there's many opinions regarding panniers, Ortleib are the ones most widely used and loved due to their strength, usefulness, waterproofness etc etc...you can't go wrong but only experience will judge. Ortleibs are actually cheaper now than when I bought my first pair over 15 years ago and i'm still using them.
Mate....wishing you great riding with the new to you Kona Sutra...if you can...throw up a picture on my thread, i'd love to see it.

cheers

brumby33
Old 02-13-20, 05:50 PM
brumby33

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ELIOTASIA
My cycling interest mostly revolves around Bicycle Touring and whilst i haven't done much in the way of touring yet, i've near enough worn off just about every touring Youtube video in existence lol.
I'm hearing ya Eliotasia......but I think you got those videos pre-worn my friend.....I've even worn out the links to those videos
Old 02-14-20, 04:30 AM
Karweng

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi brumby33,

Today is my first time taking it to ride to work. The Kona Sutra is not a fast bike, it weighs a lot more than my other bikes and extra effort is required. But, the bike is comfortable and stable with my backpack tied up on the rack, don't feel the extra weight from the rear. I will be using a pannier instead.

On the way home, I saw a Vivente Swabia pass me. I see the Vivente is fully optioned with all bells and whistles.

Last edited by Karweng; 02-14-20 at 04:36 AM.
Likes For Karweng:
Old 02-14-20, 04:34 AM
Karweng

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
bump!
Old 02-14-20, 08:09 AM
brumby33

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi brumby33,

Today is my first time taking it to ride to work. The Kona Sutra is not a fast bike, it weighs a lot more than my other bikes and extra effort is required. But, the bike is comfortable and stable with my backpack tied up on the rack, don't feel the extra weight from the rear. I will be using a pannier instead.

On the way home, I saw a Vivente Swabia pass me. I see the Vivente is fully optioned with all bells and whistles.

karweng, that is one gorgeous bike love the green.
don't worry about extra weight though, they feel more solid on the road because of it.
maybe one day after I recover more from my operation, I'll meet you in the city and we'll go for a ride.

cheers

brumby33
Old 02-20-20, 08:24 PM
Karweng

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you brumby33 for the compliment of the bike.

I ride around St George and all the way to the Kurnell area on the weekends, which is not too far away from where you live. Give me a buzz if you feel like going out for a ride when you are feeling much better.

cheers,
karweng
Likes For Karweng:
Old 02-22-20, 03:20 AM
brumby33

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thank you brumby33 for the compliment of the bike.

I ride around St George and all the way to the Kurnell area on the weekends, which is not too far away from where you live. Give me a buzz if you feel like going out for a ride when you are feeling much better.

cheers,
karweng
you betcha Karweng....gimme a Month or two...got a lot of fitness to catch up on
Send me a PM or email me on davjoh1960@gmail.com and send me your phone number and I'll do likewise.

cheers

brumby33
(Dave)
Old 01-06-21, 01:06 PM
Asgeir Stu
Icelandic Roadie

Bikes: CDale Di2 Ult synapse outside; CDale CAD on kicker core/climb inside

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
walking back to riding

Hi there
Now two weeks after a minimally invasive anterior approach left THA. The surgery was outpatient, and I was walking immediately, and walking/ stairs without aids after 2 days. I am currently walking on a treadmill daily
I am super keen to start riding inside on Zwift - (>37k km distance, and >400 km climbing pre surgery)

My surgeon is concerned that the cycling motion will loosen the press fits of either the acetabular cup, or the femoral stem but neither he nor I can find any data.
The plan is to wait 2 more weeks, then go at it very cautiously.

Thoughts?
....and how are you doing now, at ?1 year out?
....and how soon did you get back a bike, indoors or out?
cheers! and happy NY!!
Old 01-11-21, 08:39 PM
paketa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
G’day mate!

God I love Australia. How is the riding in winter?
Old 09-06-21, 05:47 AM
brumby33

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I sincerely apologise for not answering this post, in fact I had changed to a new computer and hadn't downloaded and saved this forum for many Months.

Answering your question, Riding in Winder isn't too bad here in Sydney, Melbourne is a few degrees cooler overall but it seems to be a much more cycle friendly City, Queensland is gorgeous in Winter and promotes a great lifestyle but in Summer, it's wickedly Hot and humid.

SA is cold and dry but not as miserable as Melbourne so they tell me, Victoria inland is very cold especially near Ballarat and also the Alpine areas near the Snowy Mountains but Australia in the Coldest areas never gets the Cold of the Northern Hemisphere Countries like North America and Europe. Our altitudes are usually no higher than 4,000ft so compared to many midland US altitudes, our Mountains are not much more than Pimples lol.

Avge day temp in Sydney in the mid winter is about 15-18C, Mel 12-14, Bris 18-23C

Hope this helps

brumby33