Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

What did you just buy for your fat bike?

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

What did you just buy for your fat bike?

Old 12-09-20, 07:33 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I just removed the front derailleur on my '14 Pugs. I have a 26T chain ring on the front (using a non-original square taper FSA crank set with 64/104 BCD)...I just removed the 36T middle "large" ring and it's working well. I bought an 11-40 Sunrace 9-sp cassette and this gives me a gear inch range of about 19 to 75 or so...which is enough for me. I don't ever spin out on this bike with 75 gear inches -- this isn't the bike I ride fast. So the 1x9 with the 26T works well for me.

I'm using a derailleur that really shouldn't work -- a Shimano RD-T4000. This is rated for a 34T large sprocket and it cleared the large sprocket on my old 12-36 cassette just fine -- even withOUT a B screw. I did have to put the B screw back in it and run it in a little bit to clear the 40T, but it works with PLENTY of clearance -- I'm pretty happy about that.

So yeah...poor man's 1x setup. I've never dropped a chain; it works great. I can take a few pictures if you'd to see details.
Old 12-14-20, 01:03 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts

Alright, for posterity, here's the saga of the Mukluk.

Yesterday I put a new drivetrain on the fat bike. The chain was way past due and everything with teeth on the verge of sucking it up. It should be ready for a new year of camping adventure after some more tinkering.

I'm pretty excited about it. I discovered that the rear derailleur's guide pulley was cracked completely through. I probably didn't say anything about it, but I was getting a persistent quiet clack out of the rear of the bike, and I thought it was the freehub, but now I think it was the derailleur pulley.

Today I plan on putting a dropper post on the fat bike. That will make it more fun to ride.

I made the bike a custom 1x9 drive. Now I can put the dropper lever on the left. I ditched the Grip Shift stuff which worked great actually, because the shifter grips were all munched up and replacements were expensive if I could find any.

To make the fat bike 1x system I used the derailleur from my wife's bike which I replaced last week with a new one. The old XT one was hacked using an aftermarket Goat Link hanger extender. I used the donor mechanism with part of a slightly used 11-46 cassette that came from my Specialized (I'm using a 28t x 11-42 cassette on the Stump Jumper now).

The aluminum fat bike, an original 2012 Salsa Mukluk 3, came with a design flaw. The chain rubbed the rear tire slightly in the two low gears (which are the most important). This feature increased drag going uphill. It was perhaps negligible, but when I knew it and I'm tired it bothered me. The reason for this was that the spec bottom bracket spindle was just a little to narrow. It is a good bottom bracket, a Truvativ Howizter which has quad bearings, and plenty of life left I think. The spindle is the widest (148mm) they made.

The option of getting a narrower rim rear wheel made exists. Not doing that. The existing wheel could be re-dished slightly. This is a future possibility. They say the small movement is virtually undetectable. I know that many wheels are on purpose asymmetrically built, and don't suffer weakness. Just two or three millimeters would be wonderful.

I created different solution by relocating the chainring drive and shrinking the cassette simultaneously!

I found in my spare parts a 32t 94bcd chainring that I bought for another bike a long time ago that I forgot about. It's a high quality aluminum SRAM narrow wide type made for 1x. It won't work with a front derailleur because the teeth are extra tall, and also the teeth alternate between narrow and wide, both features combine to keep the chain on the ring.

[The narrow/wide feature, on all production 1x bikes, is essentially that a chain has alternating narrow gaps and wider gaps into which the narrow/wide chainring teeth mesh. It is proven that this profile in combination with a rear derailleur clutch keeps the chain on in most cases. (Oh, BTW, there are aftermarket narrow/wide derailleur pulleys which allegedly improve performance now). * This lame explanation of mine includes extraneous information and BS.]

With more than you need or want to know, I shall continue. I did all of this stuff by intuition mostly, maybe.

The crankset on the Mukluk had a big plastic bash-guard. I took it off. It was heavy! There was a 38/24 x 11-34 on the back. Funny, I thought it was a 36t cassette the whole time, but I was wrong.

The new 32 ring was installed with 2mm spacers towards the inside. This would help the chainline not rub the tire.

The interesting part is that I used part of the 11 speed cassette to make a 9 speed cassette. This 9 speed cassette is narrower because the gaps between 11 speed cogs are smaller than 9s. I put two 2mm spacer (yes, we've got a lot of junk here, and these are found between sprockets in cheaper old 9spd cassettes, but I found a nice 4mm aluminum one later); I put 4mm of space between the cassette and the spokes. This made the chain clear the tire in low gear.

The Sunrace 11 spd 11-46 rear cassette model I have consists of two red aluminum spiders, 4 big sprockets, and 3 middle sprockets respectively, plus the 4 remaining go on separately with the two smallest on one piece, plus a lockring. I used the two spiders to make 7 of the sprockets.

The plan was to use two 9 speed sprockets for the small sprockets. I fiddled around.

Okay, so now you might be wondering, how in the world do I expect this to work? Exactly.

The shifter I have is a brand new 9 speed SRAM X5 trigger. It's probably on par with LX. Something I got a long time ago for the Mukluk for cheap.

Being curious about all this stuff we know that 9 and 11 speed aren't compatible.

I did glean that 11 speed rear derailleurs have a different actuation ratio that 9 speed. They don't mix.

However while 9 and 11 speed shifters do pull different amounts of cable per click, the difference is not huge.

My kludge is that the inherent designed flexibility of the rear derailleur makes up for the variance.

At first I tried using the 11t sprocket and like a 14t. The smallest sprocket on the 11 speed is like 24t. The jump was too big, and I didn't think it would work well enough.

The breakthrough was some part I bought two of seemingly a couple of decades ago. It's called a two sprocket Titanium Shimano 17-20 Umeya spider. It was a hop-up part to lighten 9 speed cassettes with. I never used them. I got them on clearance at Jenson USA. They'd make great pedants if it weren't for the fact that they are sharp and dangerous. These are nicely machined titanium sprockets rivetted onto an aluminum spider.

The final cassette is 9 speed 17-46. I used the Sunrace lockring which has a few extra threads deep on it that the SRAM and Shimano ones, and I put some blue locktite on it.

The result of testing is that it actually shifts pretty good, and stays in each gear.

The cassette looks excellent. The range is not very wide though. The high gear is 32x17. This isn't that bad though since I'm not trying to race and this is really dedicated to off-road pursuits. The low gear isn't as low as I want though. 32x46 for example is not as low as commonly found 30x46 or the 32x50. But most of the time, the gear range is excellent for mountain biking.

Luckily a solution was right at hand. In parts I found a nice new aluminum 24t 64 bcd chainring. I put that on the crankset granny position with 2mm spacers to keep the chain clear of the big ring. Now the Mulkuk has the option of a low range which can be accessed by releasing the derailleur clutch, moving the chain by hand, and resetting the clutch. Voila! Super-low gears. It rubs the tire in the two lowest gears again, but the 3rd sprocket is still a lower gear, and it will run fine with the tire rub if need be. If I can find 1mm chainring spacers I might be able to have less rub too.

Yeah, so by going 1x I moved the single chainring inboard, and moved the cassette outboard, making a good chainline, but the low range is now in the same predicament as the original granny gear was.

Of course I am using an 11 speed chain, and used the last new one I could find in the garage, the cheapest SRAM, which is of course perfectly fine.

Originally I was going to make the Mukluk another 2x9 drivetrain. I have two new nice 9 speed cassettes, and no 9 speed bikes anymore. The whole conversion to 11 speed was realized when I saw the cracked guide pulley on the X7 rear derailleur. I fixed the pulley, as I have spares for the tandem (which twice cracked guide pulleys). Also the Mukluk had a custom Problem Solvers front derailleur hanger, and I didn't like the look of the SRAM X-5 front derailleur, which worked well enough though. In the junk I found a new XT front derailleur that fit perfectly! We have three nice left shifters here too. So altogether we have a complete 9 speed drivetrain ready to go (old cranks, decent bottom brackets, and various chainrings too).

And so there you have it so far.

Now when you hear my gears make strange sounds next year, you'll know why.

Today I added an old but little used 27.2 Gravity Dropper post.
Old 01-17-21, 07:48 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13640 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts
Likes For rjones28:
Old 01-17-21, 08:14 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
We sold our Mongoose fat bikes with the house we sold near the Gulf. They were great in the sand, but a burden on the street and hard pack.
Old 02-02-21, 04:23 PM
Dumpngo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Bought my fatbike a SRAM XX1 Carbon Crank 30T/170MM

Likes For Dumpngo:
Old 02-06-21, 06:07 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Pivot Phoenix Carbon Seatpost

This is for my new to me 2019 Rocky Mountain Suzi Q -50. The original owner had ridden it three times. I got an insane deal this past summer on a Beargrease. Last week I sold it because out of the blue I was offered $1600 more than I paid for it. I got the Suzi Q for $1850. So, a $250 hotrod. I'm cruising the bay and FB for Pivot Phoenix bars and stem to match the seatpost, which will be replacing a dropper post. The Q will be about 26 pounds. Not bad for an aluminum frame (carbon fork) and wheelset.
Old 02-08-21, 09:34 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I bought a set of Jone's H loop 2.5 high rise bars for my fat bike and I increased the battery size from 1,080 watt hours to 2,538 watt hours. I also purchased a 15 amp 52 volt charger for fast charging. The battery upgrades more than double the range of my fat bike without charge. Now I can use it for long distance remote bikepacking and I can charge it from dead in four hours. In the center photo, I have the additional batteries bungeed onto the back rack as a possible option for mounting. I am not firm on how to configure the battery mounts yet. I might go to an Xtra Wheel type trailer. There is more to buy for long distance remote trips.

Likes For KPREN:
Old 02-10-21, 01:07 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Wolftooth Bling Kit

Got this to dress up my Rocky Mountain Suzi Q.

Old 02-10-21, 01:10 PM
revcp 

Instead of what I got for my fatbike

How about the fatbike I just got for my wife?

Old 02-10-21, 03:14 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
Very nice! It just so happens that I recently purchased a Beargrease for my wife as well. She's only gotten out for one ride so far, but she's loving it!

Likes For jim_pridx:
Old 02-10-21, 03:32 PM
revcp 

Originally Posted by jim_pridx
Very nice! It just so happens that I recently purchased a Beargrease for my wife as well. She's only gotten out for one ride so far, but she's loving it!

Nice. My wife is out on her first ride right now. It's a great bike. Only thing stock is the handlebars. Carbon wheelset with Onyx rims, Thomson dropper and stem, XX1 drivetrain, XT brakes.just a great ride.
Old 02-10-21, 06:01 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
Old 02-17-21, 08:22 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13640 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts
Riser bar.

Old 02-17-21, 10:16 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts

That's a beautiful bike. Where at and a good price?
Old 02-17-21, 01:19 PM
revcp 

Originally Posted by prj71
That's a beautiful bike. Where at and a good price?
Twin Cities. Yes, a very good price. Ridden only half a dozen times, Whisky carbon rims, Onyx hubs, Thomson dropper and stem, XX1 drivetrain, XT brakes, upgraded crank. $2350.
Old 02-18-21, 08:48 AM
prj71

Twin Cities. Yes, a very good price. Ridden only half a dozen times, Whisky carbon rims, Onyx hubs, Thomson dropper and stem, XX1 drivetrain, XT brakes, upgraded crank. $2350.
Damn!!! That's a great deal. If you see another one like that contact me. I'm looking for a Beargrease for the GF.
Old 02-18-21, 09:06 AM
revcp 

Damn!!! That's a great deal. If you see another one like that contact me. I'm looking for a Beargrease for the GF.
Size?
Old 02-18-21, 10:32 AM
prj71

Medium.
Old 02-18-21, 11:49 AM
revcp 

Medium.
I sent a few PMs to you.
Old 02-28-21, 05:31 PM
hls811

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Just got the bike last week, and added a Cannondale DownLow dropper post and Ergon GA2 Fat grips to it this week. A Manitou Mastodon Pro 100MM STD is on the way!
Likes For hls811:
Old 02-28-21, 06:45 PM
No Mojo

Bikes: Emonda SL7

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by hls811
Just got the bike last week, and added a Cannondale DownLow dropper post and Ergon GA2 Fat grips to it this week. A Manitou Mastodon Pro 100MM STD is on the way!
Nice!
Old 03-23-21, 01:02 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Maybe you'll laugh, and maybe my wife will kill me.

Just ordered some skinny 29" wheels to fit my fat bike so I can run regular mountain bike tires.

Was cruising the internet and just ran into the old deal I had seen on the Framed brand at an outdoor gear webstore called The House years ago that actually still existed. For $100 they sell front and rear 135/170 mm quando hubbed wheels with cheap tires, tubes. 160mm rotors, and a 9 speed 11-34 SRAM cassette.

Obviously these were made for my 2012 Mukluk, and are being sold off cheap because no one will buy them. Well, I always wanted to try this set-up, so here goes.

Last year I gave away a really nice 29'er rigid bike that was very light. Well now I'll have a porky 29'er option. Wonder how wide the Mukluk will fit a 29" tire? I'll find out as I have a bunch of tires in the garage. Rotors, hmmm, hopefully I won't have to buy any.

So far this year the 9 speed Mukluk has been on 4 bike-packing trips and a lot of unloaded trail rides. It's great! Now I'm just so curious to see how it feels shod in different wheels/tires. Figure with the weight loss I can use the 34t cassette (have a 46t on there at the moment), plus I have a manual shift (move the chain) 22t granny on the crank spider.

I've been hankering to get my wife a fat bike so we can ride the beach together again. She doesn't want one though. There are some great long, I mean 30 mile long, beach rides we can do. The headwinds can be a bit daunting though. Maybe one day I could say, I just bought a fat bike to match my fat bike.
Old 03-23-21, 05:13 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorcerer
Was cruising the internet and just ran into the old deal I had seen on the Framed brand at an outdoor gear webstore called The House years ago that actually still existed. For $100 they sell front and rear 135/170 mm quando hubbed wheels with cheap tires, tubes.
I have a cheap MTB (Redline Zander, but really a re-sprayed Diamondback Overdrive) that came with low-grade wheels with Quando hubs. I re-packed and adjusted the hubs and think they're some of the smoother hubs I've owned. Now, my other bikes don't have Dura-Ace or anything like that, and maybe I just got lucky with mine, but the bearings are smooth, the 6-bolt disc flange is machined well and nice and straight (no wobbles), and I've generally been pleased with what are very likely $5-on-wholesale bicycle hubs.
Old 06-26-21, 10:13 PM
Sorcerer

Finally got around to setting these up to get ready for some cruisy bike touring later this summer.
The hubs are actually nice. When I opened them up I got an intense memory of the first times we broke down bikes when we were kids!
Yes cone and cup loose balls can really spin smooth. So good, and the dust seals, which never existed on kids bikes, are excellently shaped.

Had to re-center the axle to fit the front hub to match the brake position.
Old 09-29-21, 01:17 PM
striker65

Bikes: Mongoose Dolomite

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by striker65
Switched out bmx handlebars for ape hanger bars. My back was aching from being hunched over, now I sit upright. I cruise on neighborhood streets, 5 miles every day, in fact last week I hit 7,000 miles. I ride a Mongoose Dolomite and I'll be 69 next month.
Now have 9,000 miles and turned 70 in Sept. Upgraded bb, crank arms and chain ring.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.