Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling and music

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-21, 09:07 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I use wired headphones, though I can here the noise of the wire bumping into my sides from the wind.
When I ride with headphones is determined by the amount of traffic. Very lightly trafficked roads, like the country roads near Stockbridge, MI, I ride with headphones. And I usually wear them on MUPs.
But when I do listed to music, I ALWAYS have my rear view mirror attached. I will not listen to music if I cannot see what is coming up behind me. Too much of a risk, even on MUPs.
And mostly, EDM, KPop, and 90's techno. Upbeat music as I age away from my metal/punk days.
Old 03-19-21, 09:10 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
i’ve got chunks of guys like chuck norris in my stool.
tmi
Old 03-19-21, 07:42 PM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Can someone PLEASE tell me what they do differently when they hear a car coming?
Additionally, why is it assumed that listening to music makes someone deaf to everything else? I frequently listen to music on solo rides, and I'm never surprised when a car passes me. I still hear them. Maybe a couple of seconds later than I would've, but always in plenty of time for me to continue doing what I was doing, which is to stay close to the white line. The only thing that occasionally surprises me when passing is another bike. Anything with a motor, I hear.
Likes For CoogansBluff:
Old 03-20-21, 05:53 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I’ve found that if I ride as far to the right as possible I get more close passes. So far I’ve avoided injury and death from well over 100,000 passes, probably many more.
Perhaps I should have been more specific. I don't generally ride to the far right but when I know a car is approaching from the rear I will move to the right. I also always ride with one of those little rear blinkie lights. And, like you, I've been riding a long time. I think about 40 years without incident.
Old 03-20-21, 12:28 PM
invalid.user
*bows*

Bikes: Giant Fastroad Advanced 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I just use bluetooth in-ear headphones, and I have my Varia RTL 515 hooked up to my phone via bluetooth for auditory warnings, as well as via ANT+ to my Garmin 830 for visual cues. If I didn't have the Varia and I was biking on a road with vehicles, I don't think I'd feel comfortable wearing headphones
Old 03-20-21, 11:21 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,458 Times in 3,193 Posts
I kept trying to ask Alexa to play "the Bob Dylan bootleg series volume 5" and she kept on playing some Bob Dylan and then increasing the volume to five. I finally reasoned with her to play "Bob Dylan live 1975." That was a toughie. What a great album though.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-21-21, 01:49 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I kept trying to ask Alexa to play "the Bob Dylan bootleg series volume 5" and she kept on playing some Bob Dylan and then increasing the volume to five. I finally reasoned with her to play "Bob Dylan live 1975." That was a toughie. What a great album though.
instead of volume, try saying album
Old 03-21-21, 10:37 PM
cordawg92

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depending on the area that you live in , you could potentially get a fine for riding with headphones on. In the past I would use a single AirPod in my ear in an attempt to keep my situational awareness intact
Old 03-21-21, 11:05 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
What's with this "I don't want to force other people to listen to my music"?
You're riding, if you pass a person, they might hear the music for a second or 2. If you're riding in a group, I don't see the need for music.
I use the shower BT speaker, loud enough for me to hear, not too loud like a car stereo.. If I stop at a light or am in a crowd, I pause the tunes.
Plus, I don't listen to annoying music
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 03-22-21, 05:05 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
You're riding, if you pass a person, they might hear the music for a second or 2. If you're riding in a group, I don't see the need for music.
I use the shower BT speaker, loud enough for me to hear, not too loud like a car stereo.. If I stop at a light or am in a crowd, I pause the tunes.
Most of this 👍
When riding solo I blare my music from my bottle cage mounted UEBoom speaker.
The only time anyone else ever hears it at volume is at a light or when I make a pass or get passed, and either scenario is only a matter of a few seconds.
The riders that complain that riding with external music is unsafe most likely can’t handle walking and chewing gum at the same time so are ofc a nonfactor.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 03-22-21, 07:00 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by cordawg92
Depending on the area that you live in , you could potentially get a fine for riding with headphones on. In the past I would use a single AirPod in my ear in an attempt to keep my situational awareness intact
Can you give an example of somewhere that imposes such a fine? It seems curious. Deaf people can operate motor vehicles and ride bikes. If a region tried to impose that, a deaf person with an impish sense of humor could ride with headphones and then I wonder what the justification for the fine would be.

Otto
Old 03-22-21, 07:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Can you give an example of somewhere that imposes such a fine? It seems curious. Deaf people can operate motor vehicles and ride bikes. If a region tried to impose that, a deaf person with an impish sense of humor could ride with headphones and then I wonder what the justification for the fine would be.

Otto
As a practical matter, or are you asking for an example of where it is illegal? If the latter, Philadelphia, PA.
Old 03-22-21, 07:59 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
As a practical matter, or are you asking for an example of where it is illegal? If the latter, Philadelphia, PA.
You are correct:

”12-812. Use of Audio Headphones. 50
(1) No person shall operate a bicycle on a street or highway while wearing headphones connected to an audio device.
(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 12-811 of this Chapter, the penalty for violation of this Section shall be a minimum fine of fifty dollars ($50) and no more than one hundred dollars ($100) for each violation, together with the costs of prosecution, or, in default thereof, imprisonment of not more than ten (10) days.”

I think my point is still well taken. Oh well.

Otto
Old 03-22-21, 11:27 AM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I've been a musician for 55 years or so, and have always loved listening to huge variety of music. I would NEVER listen while riding my bike, though I gave it a try a few times around 15 years ago.
It ISN'T safe.
But along with that: even when I tried "real" headhpones instead of ear buds (I HATE ear buds) I found it to be a crappy listening experience. If I listen: I want good sound quality. And MOST of all: to me, one of the great things in cycling is it gets my away from technology and non-technology, and gives me a chance to be a alone with my own thoughts. I like the music that is often playing in my head (I'm a composer).
I like being able to hear the world go by when I'm riding, NOT just because I'm safer that way.
I think way too many people (not just cyclists) in our world don't seem to know how to just be with themselves. Cycling, for me is so great: i just don't need anything to pump me up, entertain or distract me.
Old 03-22-21, 11:30 AM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by Riveting
A single Bluetooth ear bud in the curb side ear, on 100% of my solo rides and commutes: podcasts, talk radio, music, Howard Stern. But nothing if on a group ride.
I find listeing to only ONE channel of two channel music to be: excruciating.
Old 03-22-21, 11:32 AM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by MarcusT
NO matter what you listen, SOME people will not like it. You may think it's great: there's a really good chance that I would more than mildly disagree. There is so much music available to listen to. In countless styles, from every era of recorded history, from all over the globe.
Whatever it is that you think is NOT annoying easily could be.
Old 03-22-21, 11:42 AM
indyfabz

Why would I want to ruin experiences like these by listening to music?

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-22-21 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-22-21, 11:43 AM
piete

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
This message is not available in you're translation
Old 03-22-21, 11:44 AM
piete

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
just go for it nothing better than vibing with the music while riding
Likes For piete:
Old 03-22-21, 11:53 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
I find listening to only ONE channel of two channel music to be: excruciating.
Yup, that's the downside for sure, especially when it's mixed with some sounds ONLY coming from the side I'm not listening to. The Beatles seem to do it a lot.
Old 03-22-21, 11:55 AM
bblevens
Senior Age Man In Lycra

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
Bone conducting headphones, like the Aftershokz headphones.

Or maybe that (arguably fugly) Bose Tempo glasses.
Ditto on Aftershokz. I listen to podcasts mainly. Hearing the environment is critical for me.
Old 03-22-21, 11:59 AM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
When mountain biking, I don't listen to music. I enjoy the quiet peacefulness of the forest on the climbs, and I like to hear what's going on w my tires on the descent.
I'm all for personal freedoms and choice, but I don't like it when other mtb'ers have a boom box in their camelbak, because I have to hear that crap for too long as tunes often carry a long ways in canyons. And, I'm not a fan of folks wearing earbuds on the descents, either, because on single tracks descents ... I'll call out "rider back" or "on your left" when overtaking, and I need people to hear me

And for the safety issue. Can someone PLEASE tell me what they do differently when they hear a car coming? For me, the answer is nothing.
For road riding, I'm with you on this one. My behavior wouldn't change. I take the lane when a road is too narrow, and couldn't give a nickel if a car is behind me. They have to figure a safe place to pass. If I'm riding in a place where I'd be on the shoulder, but have to swing into a lane to get around a parked car or obstacle, I'll just take a quick peek over my shoulder to see if a car is approaching. Some of these new EV's are so quiet anyway, I wouldn't rely on sound.
Old 03-22-21, 12:07 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Why would i want to ruin experiences like this by listening to music?
One man's ruined experience, is another's enhanced experience. Why WOULDN'T you want to accentuate these rides with your favorite music?

Likes For Riveting:
Old 03-22-21, 12:11 PM
355Mono

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
As a musician, I find I come up with song ideas often while riding, and would not want headphones getting in the way of my creativity. And, my ears are an important part of my safety on the trails, or road. I won't get on the Stairmaster without phones.
Old 03-22-21, 12:15 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Riveting
One man's ruined experience, is another's enhanced experience. Why WOULDN'T you want to accentuate these rides with your favorite music?
Oh the irony in those two sentences.
Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.