Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Losing riding partners?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Losing riding partners?

Old 07-24-21, 06:53 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Losing riding partners?

So I went down today on a solo MTB/grave/adventure ride up in the nearby National Forest. Luckily neither I nor my bike were seriously hurt & I was able to get out. I also carry a GPS communicator in case I really need help. I was well off the beaten path & knew I shouldn't do that solo, but my circle of riding friends is much smaller than it was when I was younger. Anyone else experience this as we get older? How do you adjust? Myself - 57, still feel 25 (until I ride with someone 25)

Last edited by IronM; 07-24-21 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-24-21, 07:21 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I switched to road biking. My wife is much happier as she feels I am safer on the side of a busy highway than alone crashing down a mountainside. I'm 71 now and switched when I was 69. And yeah, I too feel like I'm 25 until I'm passed by a large 40 something woman on a fat bike.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 07-24-21, 07:26 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
Yes, more so when I got a gravel bike that allowed some creative exploring. I then had to stop a minute and say "I'm not the 25 yr. old that hiked all over these mountains, been 40 years". I should likely get an InReach, but I definitely dialed back on how far away I explore where I'm not likely to encounter people,
Old 07-25-21, 12:27 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by IronM
So I went down today on a solo MTB/grave/adventure ride up in the nearby National Forest. Luckily neither I nor my bike were seriously hurt & I was able to get out. I also carry a GPS communicator in case I really need help. I was well off the beaten path & knew I shouldn't do that solo, but my circle of riding friends is much smaller than it was when I was younger. Anyone else experience this as we get older? How do you adjust? Myself - 57, still feel 25 (until I ride with someone 25)
Just shy of 63 here, road rider, fighting madly to maintain my form.

My problem is that buddies I started riding with 20 years ago are slowing down, but I'm not (very much).

Lately, I've been doing solo rides for workouts, saving the group rides for recovery days. That works out pretty well.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-25-21, 12:57 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I just do road rides, and occasional gravel-lite rides on the MUP. No MTB or off road, never had the skills.

I had to give up fast group rides by the end of 2019. Couldn't hang with the younger folks anymore. I'm 63 now, and the 40 & 50somethings dropped me like a cigarette butt. I was okay until 2018, when I was hit by a car, then discovered I had thyroid cancer. Seemed to be recovering through 2019 but by that autumn my strength and stamina nose dived and I haven't regained my old form. Even with no-drop rides and regroup points I didn't want other folks waiting for me to straggle in.

Now I do solo workout rides and, since being fully vaccinated, I occasionally join some friends for casual group rides. But my solo workout rides are shorter. I can hit my maximum speed again on the same routes but can't hold it as long. I haven't managed a full century in two years, and mostly ride as far as I can manage in an hour and a half to two hours, maybe 30-35 miles on a good day. Usually around 20-25. The casual group rides usually get me around 45-50 miles, including the commutes to and from the meetups.
Old 07-25-21, 05:22 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
What GPS unit do you have? At 72 I have no gravel riding partners and while most of Vermont’s back roads are populated, there are some remote stretches and unpopulated class IV and logging roads that make me question whether I should be riding there. I’d love to ride with someone from time to time but I enjoy riding alone and I walk the bike when it gets sketchy. I always let my wife know the route I’m taking, but there’s still a risk - as with pretty much everything else we do.
Old 07-25-21, 06:30 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I prefer solo road rides but if I want company I ride with my GF. And, we belong to a local club that is 150 members strong. Some of whom are good friends. So we always have options.
Old 07-25-21, 06:35 AM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenhil
What GPS unit do you have? At 72 I have no gravel riding partners and while most of Vermont’s back roads are populated, there are some remote stretches and unpopulated class IV and logging roads that make me question whether I should be riding there. I’d love to ride with someone from time to time but I enjoy riding alone and I walk the bike when it gets sketchy. I always let my wife know the route I’m taking, but there’s still a risk - as with pretty much everything else we do.
I carry a Garmin Inreach. I got it mostly for bikepacking; but it's also good peace of mind on day trips. Where I ride is heavily forested, so it works so-so. I consider it & the monthly subscription 'backwoods insurance'.
Likes For IronM:
Old 07-25-21, 07:22 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
It seems that athletic performance falls off a cliff somewhere between 55-65. How much can this be delayed is debatable. I was really fit at 56 but some injuries and medical issues has proven to be difficult to come back from, much more so than when young. I think many older riders just do not come back from setbacks. Maybe it is not possible, I am finding it difficult. I used to ride with an older group for recovery rides, I would use slow tires on the CX bike. I stopped because they would want to do rest stops every 8-10 miles and a 25 mile ride was like a 3 hour affair.
Old 07-25-21, 10:27 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I carry a Garmin Inreach. I got it mostly for bikepacking; but it's also good peace of mind on day trips. Where I ride is heavily forested, so it works so-so. I consider it & the monthly subscription 'backwoods insurance'.
When I led a S&R team on the Nat'l Forest I absolutely loved it when we got a call and were given exact coordinates thanks to the portable beacons that many hikers carried. Good on you. Hopefully you never have to activate,
Old 07-25-21, 11:30 AM
rando_couche

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
It seems that athletic performance falls off a cliff somewhere between 55-65. How much can this be delayed is debatable.
IME, this is true. Up to about age 65, I was still relatively strong and fast, but in the last two years my performance levels have really gone down the drain. (Solo endurance ride average speeds dropped from 16-18 mph to 14-16.) Makes motivation and enthusiasm hard to find. But hey, at least I'm still riding.
Likes For rando_couche:
Old 07-25-21, 11:47 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
IME, this is true. Up to about age 65, I was still relatively strong and fast, but in the last two years my performance levels have really gone down the drain. (Solo endurance ride average speeds dropped from 16-18 mph to 14-16.) Makes motivation and enthusiasm hard to find. But hey, at least I'm still riding.
I'm still in the, "are my brakes dragging, do I have a seized bearing, is my frame cracked??" phase.

Maybe I had Covid and my lungs are shot. I did have pneumonia or something for 5 weeks in Spring of 2020.

Not giving up but I can see the writing on the wall.
Old 07-25-21, 12:30 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
in the 70's, I rode with a lot of other cyclists in clubs in the 70's and into he 80's. After touring solo from SFO to Atlanta in '85, I found that I didn't have to ride with others so much. I even moved to Tucson for 6 yrs from 2010 - 16, with the idea that I would meet lots of nice cyclists riding up Mt Lemmon. That ended up being a huge mistake. I am now out in a small town cycling entirely on my own and loving it. Now that I am 60, I thought that I was slowing down until I remembered how I strengthening up my legs by leg pressing 600 lbs in the mid 80's. Nowadays, I ride hills, slow down to under 5mph (in a big gear), unclip one foot and do 10 pedal revolutions with one leg, and then switch off to the other foot. (a guaranteed way to build back strength/ grow hair on your chest).
Old 07-25-21, 01:06 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by headwind15
in the 70's, I rode with a lot of other cyclists in clubs in the 70's and into he 80's. After touring solo from SFO to Atlanta in '85, I found that I didn't have to ride with others so much. I even moved to Tucson for 6 yrs from 2010 - 16, with the idea that I would meet lots of nice cyclists riding up Mt Lemmon. That ended up being a huge mistake. I am now out in a small town cycling entirely on my own and loving it. Now that I am 60, I thought that I was slowing down until I remembered how I strengthening up my legs by leg pressing 600 lbs in the mid 80's. Nowadays, I ride hills, slow down to under 5mph (in a big gear), unclip one foot and do 10 pedal revolutions with one leg, and then switch off to the other foot. (a guaranteed way to build back strength/ grow hair on your chest).
Recent studies showed that the leg strength of elite cyclists barely exceeded that of other reasonably fit subjects. The significant differences between the two groups had far more to do with percentages of body fat, cardiovascular fitness, pedaling efficiency, endurance, and recovery.
Old 07-25-21, 01:34 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
OK, besides getting older, I have had some medical situations (breaking a leg, breaking both of my heels in a ladder slide out accident and subsequent foot surgeries) that have had me spend some fairly substantial time off of my feet and as a result, my legs atrophied down, to where I have had times where I was unable to put very much power into the pedals. In other words I had to start all over./ Train.
Likes For headwind15:
Old 07-25-21, 01:56 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Losing riding partners?

Bilateral Orchiectomy in 2015 thanks to Gleason 10 PCa.
NOW THAT'S LOSING PARTNER'S!!!
Old 07-25-21, 04:34 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 2,976 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Just shy of 63 here, road rider, fighting madly to maintain my form.

My problem is that buddies I started riding with 20 years ago are slowing down, but I'm not (very much).

Lately, I've been doing solo rides for workouts, saving the group rides for recovery days. That works out pretty well.
I'm 10 years younger than you and still going strong. But one of my riding buddies is struggling with some health issues this year which are really holding him back. What I'm seeing is that it doesn't take much to knock you back as you get older. He's lost maybe 3 months riding this year and is now way down on fitness. I ride mostly solo these days, both mtb and road. But it's pretty safe here, never very far from home or civilisation.
Old 07-25-21, 05:14 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I rode in a group for years but since moving have decided that solo rides work the best for me. I am getting slower as I creep into my 70s and this make group rides a little more troublesome as finding a compatible group is difficult and I hate being the one that holds up a faster group.
Old 07-25-21, 05:24 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
61 here, and I ride gravel bikes in the mountains on singletrack, fireroads. I ride by myself 99% of the time and I sometimes go out for long days in the mountains. I carry a Spot GPS device just in case.
In my case, I'm not "losing" riding partners, because I never really had any - I have not met any geezers my age who do this kind of riding. Everyone I know my age who rides more than just super casually is a dedicated a roadie, with a small handful who ride a full-suspenion MTB (they drive to the trailhead, have some fun for an hour or so, and then drive home, and they're baffled how "at my age" I would ride rigid drop bar bikes offroad). In my case it appears my age combined w my preferred style of riding relegates me to riding largely solo (unless I ride w much younger folks, which happens on occasion, but I am sloooooowwwww...)
Old 07-25-21, 05:46 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by pbass
61 here, and I ride gravel bikes in the mountains on singletrack, fireroads. I ride by myself 99% of the time and I sometimes go out for long days in the mountains. I carry a Spot GPS device just in case.
In my case, I'm not "losing" riding partners, because I never really had any - I have not met any geezers my age who do this kind of riding. Everyone I know my age who rides more than just super casually is a dedicated a roadie, with a small handful who ride a full-suspenion MTB (they drive to the trailhead, have some fun for an hour or so, and then drive home, and they're baffled how "at my age" I would ride rigid drop bar bikes offroad). In my case it appears my age combined w my preferred style of riding relegates me to riding largely solo (unless I ride w much younger folks, which happens on occasion, but I am sloooooowwwww...)
Now you mention it I have a similar issue. I ride both mtb and road in equal measure. But I can't think of a single person I know over the age of 50 who also does both. Most are strictly roadies and I know a few who are strictly into mtb. I even know one guy who went from 100% mtb to 100% road. Maybe now gravel bikes have become a thing for roadies the balance might change?
Old 07-25-21, 06:05 PM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
75 years old. I have no riding partners left. I'm nowhere the rider that I used to be. These days it's all gravel road and trail riding. I still carry a cell phone so when I finally keel over they can find the body.
Old 07-25-21, 06:40 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Now you mention it I have a similar issue. I ride both mtb and road in equal measure. But I can't think of a single person I know over the age of 50 who also does both. Most are strictly roadies and I know a few who are strictly into mtb. I even know one guy who went from 100% mtb to 100% road. Maybe now gravel bikes have become a thing for roadies the balance might change?
I would think so! I gravitated to this type of riding because I wasn’t shredding so much on a MTB anymore, and the road is far too dangerous where I live. Perfect for lotsa geezers like us I would think!
Old 07-25-21, 06:43 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
I'm down to one riding buddy. We do a 30-50 mile ride once a week and finish up with a lunch afterwards. We bring our food in coolers, have a picnic lunch at the ranger station where we start the ride, and brew up some coffee. I'm slower than I used to be for sure but I don't care. I'm just glad to be out riding.

I ride mainly on MUPs as Des Moines has a terrific system of bike paths. I'd like to do more gravel riding. There is a fair amount of non-technical single track that branches off the bike paths and I ride those.

Last edited by bikemig; 07-26-21 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-25-21, 06:57 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by pbass
I would think so! I gravitated to this type of riding because I wasn’t shredding so much on a MTB anymore, and the road is far too dangerous where I live. Perfect for lotsa geezers like us I would think!
Yeah I'm slowly reducing my level of MTB shredding too. I moved down to a lighter, shorter travel full-susser a couple of years back as I wasn't getting full use out of my enduro rig. I guess at some point I will only need a gravel bike for off-road, once I move off the harder singletrack. But I think that's still a good decade or more away, all being well.
Old 07-25-21, 07:02 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
70 years young here. And I count myself lucky-my wife is my mtn.biking partner. My ancient GT (well, the frame anyway-most all else has been replaced/upgraded at one time or another) and my wife's '98 (I think) Kona Lava Dome still get us around on the trails. Nothing too crazy, but just glad we can still get out there. And she's a decent trail rider to boot! Her Kona is dark purple, and with the brightly colored Kona logos, is one sharp looking bike. Functions well also.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.