Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Right arm tricep pain

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Right arm tricep pain

Old 08-29-21, 08:36 AM
FlyingGreek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Right arm tricep pain

Why does my right arm only tricep hurt during rides? Am I favoring it? If so, why? Could it have to do with the fact that I'm right leg dominant? Any advice sincerely welcomed. Thanks!
Old 08-29-21, 08:44 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Ask a Doctor.

Old 08-29-21, 08:46 AM
FlyingGreek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did. Clueless. You think docs know anything about cycling? And then he woke up,
Old 08-29-21, 08:50 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Your Arm Hurts . Not Your Bike. Yes I ride with a Doctor.

Old 08-29-21, 08:53 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Shouldn't this be in "Arm mechanics" not " Bicycle Mechanics"?
Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-29-21, 08:56 AM
FlyingGreek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your doc's degree is from Bahama State University.
Old 08-29-21, 09:05 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
I’m not a Dr., but I do ride bikes…from what I’ve seen here…raising your seat usually fixes just about everything…
Old 08-29-21, 09:19 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Moved here from Bike Mechanics.

You might want to try moving your seat back just a little. Peter J. White has a procedure for setting seat setback that has worked for me https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.php
Raising your seat is similar to moving your seat back. Note that if your seat is the right height, you probably need to drop it if you move the seat back.

I get elbow pain sometimes. Probably for similar reasons the OP is getting tricep pain: need more strength in those muscles. Pushups help a lot. They also help neck soreness.

Some of you people must go to your physicians a lot. They probably have a note calling you a hypochondriac. I would never think of going to a physician for something like this. 97.5% would tell you to ride less. They might refer you to a physical therapist.
Old 08-29-21, 09:58 AM
FlyingGreek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you!
Old 08-29-21, 11:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
So it's the muscles in your arm that hurt and not the elbow joint or another joint?

Seems that would have to be something about your position that is causing you to keep those muscles tense. But since the replies above got contentious, I'm not going to bother reading them.
Old 08-30-21, 03:30 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've had a similar problem with right arm pain. My issue was that I didn't hold the right bar and bend my right elbow exactly like I did my left. I worried about that for a couple of years, finally figured out that I was leaning slightly to the right on the bike even though I didn't have a leg length discrepancy. I worked on that for a year or so and now both arms are the same. That said, doing pushups every morning fixes most arm problems.
Old 09-02-21, 09:10 AM
FlyingGreek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A former pro cyclist told me I'm gripping the handlebars too tightly. Told be to relax my arms and upper torso and use core for power. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-02-21, 09:12 AM
FlyingGreek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! A former pro cyclist told me I'm gripping the handlebars too tightly. Told be to relax my arms and upper torso and use core for power. I'm working on trying to keep my right arm relaxed and focus more on overall symmetry. May be time to hit the pushups!
Old 09-02-21, 12:00 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingGreek
Why does my right arm only tricep hurt during rides?
Some areas to consider ...

Not enough muscle strength or flexibility.
Over-use.
A strain, for any number of reasons. (Such as too tight of a grip, "stiff" upper body instead of relaxed, etc.)
Inflammation in the area.
Something was strained and you're not affording the body sufficient recovery to "fix" it.
Fitment, with the bike. (Something bent, shorter one one side, etc.)
Technique, with you. (Favoring a side, increasing strains on some muscles over others, etc.)
Nutritional deficit, though I'd think other zones would also ache similarly if that were true.

Hard to know, for certain.

Used to have occasional aches and issues with serious distance running, back in the day. Did lots of hard cycling and swimming in those years, as well. Had to vary what I did, regularly, to ensure I challenged all of the muscles in different ways and didn't over-use, over-strain or get "in a rut" with certain muscles or joints through too great a focus on any one thing. During most weeks, I'd find a little adjustment, tweak, stretch, or other change to my training was required to ensure I could perform in peak condition, strength, speed. Eventually, throughout the season, there'd be benefit from taking off-time from the serious training and instead doing much-reduced intensity activities for several days (or longer).

I'd get back to basics and check a few of the simpler things. Take several days off the cycling, as part of recovery. Do other physical activities for a couple of weeks. Do a bit of stretching in the area; work on flexibility. Get the area massaged, daily if possible. Verify your fitment, riding position. Might be that something's bent of out of whack with the bike's setup, causing one side to be showing strains before other areas. Once you get back to frequent riding, go slowly to ensure you're not inducing strains and stresses.

If it persists, it might be worth running by a sports-therapist type instead of the "family" doctor.