Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Robert Axle project axles

Old 09-17-21, 04:28 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 276 Posts
Robert Axle project axles

I just received these axles from Robert Axle Project. I will say that I am very impressed by the quality. Got rid of the annoying quick releases and cleaned up the look of the bike. Also, they weigh a lot less!

Likes For Caliwild:
Old 09-17-21, 06:44 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I agree! I replaced the Lynskey thru axles on my R300 that were a pain to open and close. Also got rid of rubbing disc brake noise.
Old 09-17-21, 07:07 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Yep, my experience as well. Replaced a problematic OEM axle.
Old 09-18-21, 07:53 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 95 Posts
Add another to the Robert Axle project fan club; I replaced the OE Lynskey, OE SBC and OE Liv thru axles on our bikes.
Old 09-18-21, 01:55 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
What are the quality factors you all are considering in the assessment of these axles? It seems to me they don’t do much more than screw in…

I had RAP axles on my T-Lab that blew their threads on the rear. I suspect the thread length was insufficient, but maybe the threading in the axle carrier didn’t match exactly. Dunno. T-Lab graciously sent me their latest and greatest dropouts and a pair of local, Montreal-made axles which fit the new axle carrier perfectly.

I have no way to assess whether the T-Lab skewers are any better, quality-wise than the Robert Axle pieces, other than that they fit the carriers better, so I’m curious what distinguishes good from bad in axles?
Old 09-21-21, 12:54 PM
Jazzguitar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
What are the quality factors you all are considering in the assessment of these axles? It seems to me they don’t do much more than screw in…

I’m curious what distinguishes good from bad in axles?
I'm curious as well. I have the same Maxles as the OP on my Stigmata and actually really like them, maybe I can buy his cheap?!
Old 09-21-21, 02:43 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzguitar
I'm curious as well. I have the same Maxles as the OP on my Stigmata and actually really like them, maybe I can buy his cheap?!
Ha! Not saying the Maxles are bad... I just didn't want the quick-release as it's quite bulky and was just an eye sore for me. I like the cleaner look of the Robert Axles and they just look well made... ya know, machined well... And I'm a sucker for weight reduction (and just spending money on my bikes in general!). To each his own, live and let live and all that!
Old 09-21-21, 03:52 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Now I'm thinking about replacing the TA on my mtb. They are just annoying to remove/replace. And the back one makes all kinds of noise.
Old 09-22-21, 09:26 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I replaced a problematic rear TA on my mountain bike with Robert Axle Project TA and have had no problems with it - well made, clean looks, lighter and doesn't catch shrubbery when i ride too close.