Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-21, 06:55 PM
Coreyk
Birotate Charioteer

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition GS, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, 2012 Bianchi Volpe, 1995-8 Caloi "Semi-Otto" homage thingy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 73StellaSX76
I recently converted my '97 Ibis Mojo from flat bars to dirt drops. I'm not sure if it qualifies as Vintage or drop bar, but I hope it's close enough for inclusion.

1997 Ibis Mojo made with Tange Prestige/Ibis Moron tubing "More on" the ends, Big Butts
Fork is a Kelly mtb fork
Components are mostly 8-speed series XTR, Road brake/shifter levers are Microshift pulling thru travel Agent converters to v-brake arms.
Handlebars are On-One Midge bars with a VO Cigne stem

This was my turn of the century alternate to my full suspension ride. It had a suspension front fork and I did a bit of racing on it. Partly due to the tires and partly to the bars I am faster on semi-techy downhill than on my 29" gravel bikes.

It appears a bit silly to me now with the bars so high, but riding it, I get it having the drop position at least level with the saddle. Very comfy riding along with hands in the drops. One issue I have with the Microshift levers mounted to the angled Midge bars is that it is easy to accidentally hit the upper release shifting paddle when riding on the hoods, the paddle sits proud of the lever surface. If the levers are mounted vertically I can see it being lees of an issue. I'll have to make a habit of keeping my hands clear of there.

I prefer riding to the trailheads from home so will look into some more pavement friendly tire options, possibly looking at a conversion up to 650b wheels. There is enough adjustment freedom in the brake pad slots to accommodate. For now its fun to tackle some of the rougher trails with the fatter tires. It's also my lowest geared bike with a 1.4 gain ratio.

Oh, that looks like a wicked fun ride.
Old 04-11-21, 07:47 PM
73StellaSX76

Bikes: 2016 SOMA DCD, 2014 Niner RLT9, 2008 Ibis Silk SL, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 1973 Stella SX76

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Coreyk
Oh, that looks like a wicked fun ride.
Thanks, it is. It’s relatively light, comparatively simple, and the riding posture for mtb riding is a revelation to me.
Likes For 73StellaSX76:
Old 04-12-21, 05:28 AM
janthenat

Bikes: 1995 GT Tequesta, 20?? Miele Toscana 300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveMaddux
Wheels are 650b (yes the brakes reach easily).
Looks great! Tell me about the brakes... I notice v-brake up front and cantilever out back? What sort of v-brake is that with such a wide range of pad adjustment? I've converted a steel 90's MTB to 700c and would love to be able to utilize the canti posts.
Old 04-19-21, 03:03 PM
bechermitT

Bikes: carbon scraps of Simplon Sinus, Trek 8000, Giant Cadex CFM 3, some nineties steel city-something.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur76
Don’t know if anyone ever responded. Here’s my Stumpjumper with external cables on top and a small frame bag in the triangle. I replaced the velcro straps that came with the bag with some paracord I bought on ebay. Paracord is a little less bulky than velcro straps and looks semi-custom with so many color options and patterns. Hope that helps.
Thanks, I will keep it in the back of my mind. I guess you have the bag on permanently?
Old 04-19-21, 03:05 PM
bechermitT

Bikes: carbon scraps of Simplon Sinus, Trek 8000, Giant Cadex CFM 3, some nineties steel city-something.

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
To fit a revelate gastank on one bike, I just slid a burgerking straw over the brake cable.
I think I'll do something similar, I still got the original nylon liners that were on the bike in a box. Should work fine with them.
Old 04-25-21, 06:25 AM
bechermitT

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Has anyone used a Soma Lauterwasser on a vintage MTB?
Is it advisable?
Old 04-25-21, 01:02 PM
DaveMaddux

Bikes: Surly Pacer road bike, Santa Cruz Tallboy 29, Trek Fuel EX 8 29, Surly Karate Monkey monster cross, 1985 Trek 500 650b conversion, 80s-era Schwinn World Sport, Schwinn Traveler converted to fixed gear, Raleigh Grand Prix single speed, 70s-era Lotus "

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ElCani
That looks sweet. How’s the rear brake? I found the combination of modern Shimano NSSLR levers with those canti brakes to be sub-optimal.
Honestly I haven’t tried them out too much in the real world yet, as I’ve just built this bike and I’m still trying to get it to fit me (I’m 6-4, I probably need a 23 inch frame with more stack to work with drop bars). This bike might morph into a a cruiser with BMX bars for it to work for me.

My experience with all cantis is, if you have machined sidewall rims, use good pads, and keep them tuned up religiously, they just work OK compared to disk.
Old 04-25-21, 01:38 PM
DaveMaddux

Bikes: Surly Pacer road bike, Santa Cruz Tallboy 29, Trek Fuel EX 8 29, Surly Karate Monkey monster cross, 1985 Trek 500 650b conversion, 80s-era Schwinn World Sport, Schwinn Traveler converted to fixed gear, Raleigh Grand Prix single speed, 70s-era Lotus "

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by janthenat
Looks great! Tell me about the brakes... I notice v-brake up front and cantilever out back? What sort of v-brake is that with such a wide range of pad adjustment? I've converted a steel 90's MTB to 700c and would love to be able to utilize the canti posts.
Yep this is a mis-matched hack I’ve done on my old cross bike too: a v-brake in front requires no cable housing stop like cantis do, and therefore eliminates “fork jack” shudder under hard braking. But, v-brakes require a long-pull brake lever (Tekro model RL520). I use a regular-pull shimano road brifter on the right, so cantis works better in the rear.

I found the v-brakes on ebay: Litepro brand model V28 long reach v-brakes intended for BMX. I’ve seen these on ebay in several models with different reaches and colors. They are super light and seem like pretty decent quality for less than $30. They reach to the larger diameter 650b (27 inch) rim with room to spare. . .not sure if they would reach 700c rims (their quoted spec is 108 mm of reach). The only other alternative I know of for long reach v-brakes are Paul’s Motolites, which are expensive and have been out of stock for months since Covid started.
Old 04-27-21, 04:07 PM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts
Kona Lava Dome Race Light

Ok: not lugged, not a level top tube... but it is steel, and it is from 1996 (I think?)

Still not sure about the bars....
Likes For no67el:
Old 04-28-21, 08:00 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by bechermitT
Thanks, I will keep it in the back of my mind. I guess you have the bag on permanently?
No I cinched them using these cord locks. Big bag of them for $5.
Old 04-28-21, 09:49 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Not mine. This is one way to do it.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...46449945423746

Old 05-06-21, 04:23 PM
bechermitT

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur76
No I cinched them using these cord locks. Big bag of them for $5.
Ahh I see. For now i'll try it with liners and letting the cabels run through the velcro straps, if that fails when the bag is heavy i'll try it with bunge cord as well.
Old 05-06-21, 06:01 PM
ZudeJammer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Series V 1985, Motobecane Grand Touring 1982, Specialized Stumpjumper 1993, Raleigh International 1972, Raleigh Grand Prix 1972, Kuwahara Count 1983, Trek Cirrus 1987, Shogun 2001 1983, Cannondale SM700 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by no67el

Ok: not lugged, not a level top tube... but it is steel, and it is from 1996 (I think?)

Still not sure about the bars....
I like the stem here, this setup puts you right above the wheel nicely. Let us know how the tires go once you put a bunch of miles on 'em
Old 05-06-21, 06:47 PM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts
Yeah these bars are growing on me---- with the ramps tilted nearly flat like this, and the long grip surface of the cheap-o imitation Tektro levers (almost like they are trying to feel like brifters), there are a lot of hand positions available, including a semi-aero forearms flat position that feels good. I built this bike to be kind of a rough-end-of-gravel-spectrum bike--- for Vermont cat IV roads and mild singletrack..

The tires feel (and sound) great--- very quiet on pavement, very light. I've had good luck with supple-sidewall tires before, but we'll see if the knobby tire version holds up over time...

This stem is a no-name stem from china that has ended up looking way more sleek than the price would indicate.... most riser stems that I've seen just look downright ugly to me, but this one is....sort of passable? I still long for the classic angles of a road bike stem, but this is starting to look OK to me...

Right now I'm bombing off curbs and disregarding huge potholes in Boston on this thing, and it's fun--- we'll see how it does on the dirt....

N
Likes For no67el:
Old 05-10-21, 08:57 AM
gmvelo

Bikes: '85 Trek 620, '88 Schwinn Cimarron, '88 Novara Ponderosa, '6#? Magni, '93 Stumpjumper w/Dirt Drops, 70's Raleigh Competition G.S., '80 Bill Vetter, '90's IF Deluxe

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Not that any build is ever truly finished, but I've finally got this one dialed in, and therefore I figured I'd share. This is my 2nd drop bar conversion, my first being a very similar vintage Stumpjumper FS that has now found a new home. I took what I learned from that one and applied it here. Running Woodchipper bars, old 8 speed 105 brifters, and a mix of other stuff including first gen. XTR cantilevers. The final piece is the Rene Herse humptulips, 26 x 2.3. I probably spent more on the tires than the rest of the build combined, but I can say with total conviction these tires are worth it. This bike rolls nicely on pavement, and with the knobs can tackle the gnarly "class 4" unmaintained roads that make Vermont gravel riding so much fun. Two fun notes about this current build - I acquired the fork and frame separately, the frame was equipped with a cheap heavy Suntour fork, and the fork came from the local coop. Clearly a separated at birth situation, with the steerer tube length just long enough to be a match. The saddle, a vintage Brooks that is surprisingly comfy, came off a 50's or 60's Diamant track bike. The one final piece of the puzzle is a less ugly stem/adapter.... Given the threaded fork, I'm considering a V-O quill with the removable face. Anything would look better than what I've currently cobbled together.

Last edited by gmvelo; 05-10-21 at 09:23 AM. Reason: caught a mistake
Old 05-10-21, 12:59 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Looks great gmvelo it's hard to tell the colour of the frame/fork. Is it brown? Is it purple?
Old 05-11-21, 03:00 PM
gmvelo

Bikes: '85 Trek 620, '88 Schwinn Cimarron, '88 Novara Ponderosa, '6#? Magni, '93 Stumpjumper w/Dirt Drops, 70's Raleigh Competition G.S., '80 Bill Vetter, '90's IF Deluxe

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
Looks great gmvelo it's hard to tell the colour of the frame/fork. Is it brown? Is it purple?
Thanks bOsscO! It is really more of a maroon, and the decals are gold-ish.
Old 05-11-21, 06:44 PM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by gmvelo
The one final piece of the puzzle is a less ugly stem/adapter.... Given the threaded fork, I'm considering a V-O quill with the removable face. Anything would look better than what I've currently cobbled together.
The VO quill stem is fantastic (I own two), but heads up it might not get you the same height seen in your photo. I have one maxed out on one of my bikes, I'll measure after catching a toddler break and will report back.

Super sweat build BTW!

Update: Here's the 90mm VO Stem maxed out on my Marin Pine Mountain. From center top of the headset to the top of the bars, measures a hair over 16cm. Hope that helps.

Last edited by squarenoise; 05-11-21 at 09:37 PM. Reason: added info
Old 05-13-21, 12:43 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 228 Posts
The 1995 Norco Katmandu recently sold very quickly. Advertised on Kijiji for just over 24 hours and sold at asking. Sad to see it go but this makes three drop bar MTBs that I have sold in as many years. One was not even for sale but the buyer talked me into selling it. Starting to think it is a popular niche.
Old 05-13-21, 03:16 PM
bechermitT

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
The 1995 Norco Katmandu recently sold very quickly. Advertised on Kijiji for just over 24 hours and sold at asking. Sad to see it go but this makes three drop bar MTBs that I have sold in as many years. One was not even for sale but the buyer talked me into selling it. Starting to think it is a popular niche.
I think the niche is about to get more popular. A vintage roadbike is no longer "hipster" enough and thanks to gravel bikes a offroad/allroad dropbar bike is no longer frowned upon by the cycling community.
Likes For bechermitT:
Old 05-13-21, 06:35 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 228 Posts
Made from a Raleigh Canada produced 1987 Renegade Ranger ATB my first drop bar conversion was done solely with vintage parts I had lying around. Its versatility and fun factor set the stage for subsequent builds. A later version had Planet Bike yellow fenders to really overload the colour palette!

Old 05-15-21, 07:20 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by bechermitT
Has anyone used a Soma Lauterwasser on a vintage MTB?
Is it advisable?
Dunno why not. Might be cool.
Likes For arex:
Old 05-15-21, 08:52 PM
celesteguy 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by leftthread
Do you think a drop bar conversion would also work well with a flat-bar hybrid frame, 700c/35 wheels?
I did a Giant Innova 700c hybrid drop conversion and it rode beautifully. Would reccomend.

Likes For celesteguy:
Old 05-16-21, 07:01 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
NICE SCHTUMPY!!! Love the mix of parts... nice touch; that's what it's all about. And the color is beautiful. And the Rene Herse tires are the bee's knees. Made for VT dirt roads!!!
Old 05-16-21, 07:05 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
Love the first photo of the Renegade... Looks like it's ready to butt horns with the first gravel bike that dares cross its path

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.