Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Titanium vs. Steel rides

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-21, 06:13 PM
celesteguy 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 54 Posts

Over the last few years I have collected a small stable of higher end steel bikes. Not necessarily expensive, but pretty nice; Reynolds 853 and Colubus EL/OS mostly. These are set up with steel or carbon forks and some of them are just dreamy to ride. Even with 21mm or 23mm tires, they seem to just float over the rough roads, handle exceptionally well, and feel lively and springy as I have most of them around the 18 lb mark give or take a couple of ounces.

Recently, I have been really interested in titanium. I've never ridden a ti bike before and I've been wanting to get one. I can't afford new titanium, but I have been looking at a few vintage ti frames including Merlin, Merckx, and GT.

The question I have is how similarly would a vintage ti frame feel compared to a nice steel frame. I know it would save half a pound to a pound or so in weight, but would the ride quality be pretty much the same or is ti really in a league of its own? All my friends ride carbon, so I don't have any to borrow to try for myself. Some of my steel bikes ride so well that I have a hard time believing something out there would top them, but I don't have any experience so I can't say what I'm missing. What I'd like to know specifically is if there is anyone that has ridden or owned both higher end steel and vintage ti and can compare what the rides feel like. Are they very similar? Does it vary drastically? I've tried to do my own internet research, but there seems to be a lot of varying opinions, and not a lot of actual comparisons.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-21, 09:24 PM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Can I ask what these steel bikes are that ride like a dream?
I have never ridden a Ti bike so I can't help you there.
Old 12-28-21, 10:39 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 408 Posts
Over on Bike Mechanics a thread is running that gets into your question: Another Ti Question Thread. I posted the following:
I have 1 Ti, 2 Al ( 1 for hauling & a Vitus rider) and only 1 carbon left out of my 18, the rest are steel and ride them all. I have one decline in my favorite ride that the last crew seal coating the asphalt did damage with a sweeper to the bike lane with very noticeable swirl marks that deliver a nasty rumble all the way down that I dislike. The majority of steel and the Ti equally handle this well. I fiddle a lot with saddles, posts, bars, stems, most have 28s, a couple 25s when the 28s were less than 4mm from the frame or FD clamp.
I have owned two TI Litespeeds a Classic and now a keeper a Firenze. My daily bikes are high end Italians, Colnago, Tommasini, customs build for me, and a Zurich 853 and Vitus 979. I can not discern the difference between a quality well done steel frame and my TI other than a minor improvement in weight.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 12-28-21, 11:08 PM
celesteguy 

Originally Posted by easyupbug
I have owned two TI Litespeeds a Classic and now a keeper a Firenze. My daily bikes are high end Italians, Colnago, Tommasini, customs build for me, and a Zurich 853 and Vitus 979. I can not discern the difference between a quality well done steel frame and my TI other than a minor improvement in weight.
Thank you, this is just the kind of thread/post I was looking for. While looking for the ti thread I found one on different steels where a member offered a similar opinion as yours that they could not discern a difference between their ti bike and certain high end steel framed bikes in terms of ride quality. All in all, I think its enough to make me save my money rather than try to scoop up a ti frame.
Old 12-28-21, 11:29 PM
celesteguy 

Originally Posted by jnbrown
Can I ask what these steel bikes are that ride like a dream?
I feel like that'd be telling especially because I feel like there are a couple of real sleeper frames out there (including aluminum ones, actually), and of course theres geometry and weight to factor in, but I will say that the Lemond 853 bikes when fitted with a proper fork fit the bill. Also Bianchi's mid 90s EL/OS frames. One of those is my main ride, and dreamy for not just the ride quality, but the perfect geometry (for me anyway). But there are definitely more, and there are a few that I have that I might thin out in the future that are very close, but not quite there -wonderful bikes, but not dream ride caliber, even with good geometry, handling etc. Its all subjective I guess, but there's no denying that some bikes got it and some bikes don't. I guess I was just wondering if all titanium bikes did.
Old 12-29-21, 08:00 AM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
If you are looking to try titanium and want a ride similar to steel, I would avoid the shaped (non-cylindrical) tubing.

I have tried a few ti bikes. I had a Fuji that cracked at the chainstay, a Litespeed Classic, Litespeed Appalachian, Litespeed Natchez, and an Airborne Carpe Diem.

Fuji: I honestly do not recall the ride too well, as it broke fairly early in my ownership. This was not the CP version, though it is from the early 90's.
Classic: I was not too impressed, though I would not call it bad. It reminded me of a mix between a Klein and a steel bike, but I really disliked the ride of the Klein on Illinois roads.
Appalachian: It is just ok, but takes 32mm tires and fenders, so I like it. I bought it to take over for the Airborne
Natchez: I did not expect much out of it, but it was super cheap. That said, I think it is my favorite of the ti bikes so far.
Airborne Carpe Diem: This felt more stiff than I would like, but I guess I should put this solidly in the cyclocross realm, so it did not work out well for me.

Technically, I do own a CP Fuji, but it is pretty much wall art for me.
Old 12-29-21, 08:19 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
My experience with a couple early TST/Sandvik-made frames echoes what Beech333 said about tubing shapes. Traditionally shaped ti tubed frames are awfully flexy, not quite as much as my squashed tubed Blade knockoff Airborne. A strong rider will either "plane" or complain the frame is too noodley for them.

I'd actually not recommend a 1" headtubed ti frame, I"m sure there are good ones out there, but the ones I test rode as a mechanic weren't much fun
Old 12-29-21, 08:50 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
I have owned two TI Litespeeds a Classic and now a keeper a Firenze. My daily bikes are high end Italians, Colnago, Tommasini, customs build for me, and a Zurich 853 and Vitus 979.
Is this a different "Firenze" than what most Firenzes on this forum are about?

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-29-21, 09:16 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 661 Posts
the comment I'd offer - and sorry if it's a sweeping generalization - is that some of the earlier titanium frames are prone to cracking.

I've seen a Seven and a Merlin that cracked (one at the bottom bracket, one on the downtube where the shifter bosses are) and not repairable.

so inspect carefully.

/markp
Old 12-29-21, 09:19 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked 6,674 Times in 2,607 Posts
I had a really strong itch about the ride qualities of Ti that I needed to scratch, particularly after a friend who’s a former racer and trainer thought my size (5’ 10”, 170lbs) would work well with that material. My first was a vintage Merlin, and I really loved the way it rode. Light and responsive, definitely my best climber, even though I didn’t have it geared particularly low. Ultimately decided to move it on as it was a tad too small and could barely fit 25mm tires. Next was a Carver, intended for wider tires and more of my non-racing riding style, but even as the lightest bike in my fleet (with a CF fork), it always felt sluggish and unresponsive. Moved it on. Latest is a Waltly, custom made in China, and based on the geometry of my Black Mountain Road, my favorite steel rider. Checks all the boxes, including 700 x 38mm tires, and my bike for fast weekend rides, solo and group tours, and bikepacking. Kinda generic and ugly but it does what it’s intended to do really, really well. Got the majority of my riding miles in 2021.

Old 12-29-21, 09:36 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Is this a different "Firenze" than what most Firenzes on this forum are about?
Sorry, don't know, this is it when naked.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 12-29-21, 09:37 AM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 147 Posts
I’ve said this before, but I think that used 90’s titanium bikes are the bargain of the used bike market. I have ridden several ti bikes, but not until I scored a used Moots a few years ago was I impressed. I must say that not all the Ti bikes previous to the Moots were not a good fit for me, so I feel it affected the end ride result.
I love the Moots and it’s ride is fantastic, and I can’t see it ever leaving my collection. I ride it regularly and I find it comfortable over a long day and able to handle rough roads quite well. It’s also my lightest bike, but it’s not built up to be superleggero, because I build more for reliability. Is the ride incredibly different from a quality steel frame? Not really. I think a well executed steel bike will ride as good…just different.
There are a lot of good examples available that you should be on the watch for, other than what you’ve listed above…Moots, Holland, Davidson to name a few.
Old 12-29-21, 10:23 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Sorry, don't know, this is it when naked.
OK- Litespeed Firenze.

I thought I had an idea of your collection and tastes- Just google "Firenze bike" and you'll see why I was confused.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-29-21, 11:37 AM
easyupbug 

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
OK- Litespeed Firenze.

I thought I had an idea of your collection and tastes- Just google "Firenze bike" and you'll see why I was confused.
Cheers, took a lot of nerve to call that a Firenze, being Italian for Florence, a city second only to Rome in beauty.
Old 12-29-21, 12:06 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by celesteguy
O
, but I have been looking at a few vintage ti frames including Merlin, Merckx, and GT.
s!

Finding a Ti GT Edge would be a coup ! Did not make many at all
Old 12-29-21, 12:11 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
My experience with a couple early TST/Sandvik-made frames echoes what Beech333 said about tubing shapes.
I think the early Ti Fuji's were made by Sandvik, including the one of mine that broke.

I thought about getting it fixed by someone reputable, but the cost was high and I feared another crack forming. I suspect that repairs might not hold up well, due to needs for environmental/frame cleanliness that I have heard of.

I actually prefer the use of 1" forks. I use a steel fork on my Natchez, which was scavenged from the Fuji that cracked. I also really like the flexiness of this frame. I'm no racer, with no imaginations of being one. I just like the long rides at what I would consider a casual pace, with the frame absorbing much of the road/trail chatter.
Old 12-29-21, 12:15 PM
reissue59

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 67 Posts
I got all high end steel, mostly italians.
90's era Ti frames is where it's at for me.
rode a lot of them, various makes.
settled on a Merlin Extralight. Best of the bunch by far. Light and nimble.
compared to my steel frames, it's a bit smoother on bumpy roads. Not by a lot but i can feel the difference.
call it a 10% smoother ride.
you don't need it but, sooo cool
90's frame are cheap and have a non slopping top tube, wich i like.
check tire size clearance. Mine takes 28.
for comparison, all my bikes ride on 28.
Most of them have Dura Ace C24 wheels.
most of them are built with 7800 Dura Ace groupset.
all of the frames have the same dimensions. Same 90mm quill stems and compact bars.
get one, you need it
Likes For reissue59:
Old 12-29-21, 01:21 PM
celesteguy 

Thank you everyone for their input!

I think I will probably hold out for a vintage Merlin or GT when the price is right. I do love the traditional non sloping top tubes as well. Seems like I'm not losing too much to my quality steel frames in terms of ride.
I would agree that used vintage ti is the deal of the used bike world. The Fuji frames pop up every now and then at insanely good prices, as do the Airbornes. I've noticed some pretty great steel up for grabs too as people "upgrade" to disc brake frames.
Old 12-29-21, 04:09 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Had a 1999 Litespeed Classic. Fit great and had a super comfy ride (similar to a vintage 531 frame). Ultimately, it has too much flex and didn’t seem to transfer power well. I would hold out for a Merlin.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 12-29-21, 04:25 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 866 Times in 416 Posts
Originally Posted by celesteguy
I feel like that'd be telling especially because I feel like there are a couple of real sleeper frames out there (including aluminum ones, actually), and of course theres geometry and weight to factor in, but I will say that the Lemond 853 bikes when fitted with a proper fork fit the bill.
What do you consider a "proper" fork on the Lemond 853 bikes?
Just curious
Old 12-29-21, 05:02 PM
celesteguy 

Originally Posted by daverup
What do you consider a "proper" fork on the Lemond 853 bikes?
Just curious
Either full carbon, or full steel. A few models came with a carbon fork with aluminum steerer which made the front end transmit some harshness compared to the rear which sort of floats. Not a big deal, but after switching forks, I thought it changed a good ride into a great one. I went steel on a Poprad and full carbon on a BA.
Old 12-29-21, 05:35 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I have had a Road Classic and a Cyclocross from Habanero cycles. Both were excellent frames and performed up to my expectations and needs. One thing of note, I found going from a carbon fork to a steel fork made a world of difference in ride quality. I used a Miyata 912 fork on the Classic and a Surly Quickcross fork on the Cyclocross. Neither fork is particularly high end, just mid-grade cromo. but they made the bikes ride easier, that is less harsh on the rough stuff than the carbon forks.
Both are 1" steerers. The Surly was very agreeable to me and is what I use on my custom touring bike. I see it as the most comfortable fork out there.
Old 12-30-21, 10:51 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I have never ridden a ti frame, but whenever I have heard a strong, experienced rider mention Merlin, it’s been nothing but superlatives. If I was looking to buy, I would focus there, with the only caveat being tire clearance as nlerner mentioned. Sounds to me like some will take 28, others max out at 25. For me that would be a meaningful distinction; ymmv.
Old 12-30-21, 11:19 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
I had a late 90's Cambridge built Merlin Extralight with a 1" threaded Look fork. Beautiful welds on that thing.

It was nimble, light, and a great climber.

Made me feel like Superman whenever I rode it.

McNeil Canyon, Chelan by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

It is the benchmark that I compare all bikes to for ride quality.

It was a little smaller that an ideal size for me so I let it go but man, that was a great bike.
Likes For northbend:
Old 12-30-21, 11:46 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 145 Posts
I've had lots of different frames, from steel and aluminum to carbon and ti. My best all-rounder has been an '05 Bianchi S9 with carbon stays. It's a bit cushy, which is good for someone my age, but it performs admirably and I've put thousands of miles on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.