Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

This one is old, but a complete mystery to me.

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 10-21-22, 04:13 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26247 Post(s)
Liked 10,230 Times in 7,099 Posts

...any ideas or information would be appreciated. From the frame angles, I figure it to be early 1950's or older. Someone repainted it and but some Bianchi graphics on it, and when they rebuilt it post painting, used a Bianchi stamped cottered crank (doubtless made my someone else, like Magistroni), and a Cinelli track stem. I'm not interested in a valuation. I'm not selling it, and I don't think I have the enthusiasm for another restoration of something this old . Currently configured as as single speed, but it has dropouts that face forward, not backward like many fixed gear/single speeds from ancient times.

Anyway, here are the pictures:

Old 10-21-22, 05:00 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
I think nearly all the components while vintage correct are not original and the fork looks to be newer different maker than the frame. As for the frame the heavy strait lugs indicate late 30's/40's and are pretty generic so no idea yet pretty cool rat SS I would fix it up a bit and ride as is.
Old 10-21-22, 08:10 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26247 Post(s)
Liked 10,230 Times in 7,099 Posts
...thank you.
Old 10-30-22, 09:41 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Stem and bars out value the whole.

Seat stay tops look Styer
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-31-22, 04:43 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 624 Posts
I see a piaggio symbol.

They (piaggio) own Vespa and Aprilia, but they also owned until recently, Bianchi.
Old 11-03-22, 10:19 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
I thought the OP was talking about half the posters on this site......
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 11-21-22, 04:36 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Stem and bars out value the whole.

Seat stay tops look Styer
-----

Puch/Steyr/Styria employed seat stay tops such as these on lower models such as one-speeds/three-speeds/juveniles & some utility entries

"usually" when one gets into derailleur geared models the stay tops are a bit more graceful such as on this Clubman model of the early seventies -

the cycle's fixed bottom bracket cup presents a clinker with respect to a Steyr identification -

​​​​​​

note that it is round and exhibits the three dogs associated with generic Italian threaded cups for generations

have never encountered a Steyr/Puch product whose fixed bottom bracket cup did not show one pair of flats

one simple check which could be made would be to measure shell width; a 68mm shell would tend to signify a non-italian origin while a 70mm shell would tend to suggest an italian origin for the machine

unfortunately the image of the cycle showing the headset is somewhat blurry. this is another spot where a check could be made. if cycle a Steyr product and headset original it would exhibit the 26.0mm X 1.0 thread of Steyr steeerer and headsets. this would tend to suggest against and italian origin for the machine...
we know fork to be a replacement. rather unlikely it would exhibit the 26.0mm steerer associated with Steyr/Puch products. if the headset's locknut and adjustable race are a very loose/wobbly fit on the steerer it would be an indication that the headset is Steyr size.

one feature we would expect to see on a Steyr product of this calibre would be an ESGE plate style seat stay bridge. the bridge here is tubular.

one identity which would fit an italian shell and the Bianchi marked chainset would be one of Normano
this is an economy badge belonging to Bianchi and employed off and on through the generations
the last time we had any cycles of the name imported into the U.S. afaik was the middle nineteen sixties
when they were sold though discount houses and similar mass retailers

exchanged a PM with member MauriceMoss regarding the seat stay treatment and he reported he has seen it employed on a few italian cycles where it is fairly rare

one clue suggesting that chainset may be original, in addition to the apparent italian dimension bottom bracket assembly, is the chainset's wedgebolts
note that they are the quality italian ones with a false acorn nut where an anodized aluminum disc is crimped into the nut top to turn it into an acorn
these discs are nearly always anodized either blue or red
if the assembler of the cycle had not had access to these wedgebolts they would not have been able to get a set of this type at the LBS

will look forward to reading a report regarding measurement taking...

-----

Last edited by juvela; 11-21-22 at 05:31 PM. Reason: addition
Likes For juvela: