Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Concorde project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Concorde project

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-22, 11:14 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
Concorde project

Just got a deal on this
Really nice big guy, 6'7, sold it to me. He said it'd been repainted.
Race number hanger, pretty cool.

Would love any info or advice about it. I'd never heard of this brand before. I'm going to overhaul it and ride it myself hopefully.

The fork appears not to match, but that could have been the original colour? Or maybe it was crashed?
BB is 70mm. Seatpost is ~26.6, and overtightened.

Last edited by Soody; 10-14-22 at 11:26 PM.
Likes For Soody:
Old 10-14-22, 11:19 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Rust issues:

Old 10-15-22, 08:25 AM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Some of the frames were made by Ciocc in Italy. It looks like your lugs are the same as those on a Ciocc so it may be one.

Likes For bluehills3149:
Old 10-15-22, 09:11 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
That should sort out well. I'd check the seatpost size as you've spotted the one in there may be too small.
Mine was a 26.8 seatpost.

Old 10-15-22, 09:25 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,477 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
That should sort out well. I'd check the seatpost size as you've spotted the one in there may be too small.

Looks like this bike is now for sale on ebay.
Brent
Old 10-15-22, 09:34 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4679 Post(s)
Liked 5,797 Times in 2,282 Posts
Concorde was a brand owned by Veltec, a Dutch company. I repped for the US subsidiary, Veltec-Boyer out of Sand City, CA in the 80's. Jonathan Boyer was the Boyer in the name. I believe Ciocc made the frames, as @bluehills3149 noted earlier, as we distributed Ciocc during the same time period. Veltec was one of the sponsors of the PDM team. Pedro Delgado was one of the team riders for awhile.
Old 10-15-22, 09:41 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
It's a Dutch brand.
At the start Frames were made by Pelizzoli (Ciocc) and Billato. Later they were made in Belgium too.
The PDM cycling team with among others Sean Kelly, Pedro Delgado, Greg Lemond, Raoul Alcala, Gert-Jan Theunisse, Erik Breukink and Steven Rooks rode on Concorde.
The better ones are really nice!
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 10-15-22, 10:28 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by obrentharris
Looks like this bike is now for sale on ebay.
Brent
Yep, he's had it listed awhile now at that price. I sorta regret selling it because I really liked how I had it set up and didn't put a single mile on it before deciding I needed to sell off a bunch to make room.
Old 10-15-22, 11:08 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
I always thought the CIÖCC connection was an assumption, what Concorde sellers use to upvaluse their bikes, since I read somewhere that the relation was never officially confirmed by Pelizzoli.
Most people advertise their Concordes based on an italian flag braze-on on the right side of the tubes as made by CIÖCC, while that is actially the sign for Billato, who also used to build for CIÖCC and pretty much for everybody else who matter and who didn't at the time. With yours its out of question based on the lugs and the missing flag braze-on. Really nice score! If you want to see other Concordes, check out "marktplaats.nl" without quotation marks for sure, and search for "Concorde" or "concorde fiets".
As said by the "local" fabiofarelli they have all levels of bikes including magic unicorns, what people see once and can never forget, but they never show up again.
If I had to make a wild guess, I would say Columbus SL (unlike the silver decal points to Cromor, and I think all other decals are the standard "Concorde" set from ebay for Aquila or Astore) with a non-original fork (not only paintjob is off, but they usually had the Concorde logo on the fork caps).

Heres a link, where someone sandblasted a similar one... maybe interesting for you for the fork.... note the decal difference as well....
Concorde - Ciöcc '80 ies project | DCI Steel Vintage Racing Bicycles (dcisite.be)

Best,

Lattz....
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-15-22, 02:51 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by Soody
Just got a deal on this
Really nice big guy, 6'7, sold it to me. He said it'd been repainted.
Race number hanger, pretty cool.

Would love any info or advice about it. I'd never heard of this brand before. I'm going to overhaul it and ride it myself hopefully.

The fork appears not to match, but that could have been the original colour? Or maybe it was crashed?
BB is 70mm. Seatpost is ~26.6, and overtightened.

Thats a decent size frame !
You seem to snaffle all the biggies
Are front and rear dropouts both campagnolo ?
Love those colours
Old 10-15-22, 05:52 PM
Soody

Fantastic info all thank you
I may chose to pretend it is a ciocc but only in my head

here's where I got to:
No drama sofar
Still wondering why they put a hole in the bottom bracket shell. Is it really to show off a cool spindle?

Old 10-15-22, 05:52 PM
Soody

Originally Posted by 1simplexnut
Thats a decent size frame !
You seem to snaffle all the biggies
Are front and rear dropouts both campagnolo ?
Love those colours
Haha yeah I rode too small frames for a long time now i'm trying to see what too big is like.
It's 62 ST x 60 TT. They're not squished but there's zero ball clearance for me at 6'2. I think it should be good.
The front fork is suspiciously not rusty. Magnet doesn't stick. It's aluminium...
Old 10-15-22, 05:58 PM
Soody

Very scronchy Mavic headset. I carried on the proud tradition of mangling the tiny flats on the locknut. Couldn't move it. Turns out this plastic cover (which snapped) was hiding the locking mechanism. The top bit is just for setting the preload and it's all one piece. I think. Kinda neat.

Old 10-15-22, 06:03 PM
Soody

Originally Posted by jamesdak

That thing is stunning
Likes For Soody:
Old 10-15-22, 07:03 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
The front fork is suspiciously not rusty. Magnet doesn't stick. It's aluminium...
Ah ok probably a replacement . Looks like a kinetic alloy one I have in the spares bin .
Let me know what length that steerer is .
I may have a steel fork with campy ends that will work .
Old 10-15-22, 07:04 PM
jamesdak 

Very scronchy Mavic headset. I carried on the proud tradition of mangling the tiny flats on the locknut. Couldn't move it. Turns out this plastic cover (which snapped) was hiding the locking mechanism. The top bit is just for setting the preload and it's all one piece. I think. Kinda neat.
At least your bolt looks good. Mine was seized and all mangled, had my favorite LBS sort it out before I built up the bike. Keep the pics coming!
Old 10-15-22, 07:11 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
The number hanger would make it an Aquila or a possibly a Squadra. There were numerous builders and versions of both. Some with upper level Columbus tubing, and I've seen a few with 531. There seems to be very little consistency in their models. I had a friend with a Columbus Max Concorde that was one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen.
Old 10-15-22, 08:53 PM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 159 Posts
Mavic Technical Manual with instructions for loosening the locking system on these headsets, refer page three...

www.cadre.org/bike_stuff/Mavic/Manuals/89-90/

If the link doesn't work try tearsforgears.com and a search for "mavic" then scroll to Mavic Tech Manuals

Last edited by seagrade; 10-15-22 at 08:56 PM. Reason: link support
Old 10-15-22, 09:09 PM
Soody

Originally Posted by seagrade
Mavic Technical Manual with instructions for loosening the locking system on these headsets, refer page three...

Pictures

If the link doesn't work try tearsforgears.com and a search for "mavic" then scroll to Mavic Tech Manuals
Thanks but it works how I guessed. I got it out.
Old 10-15-22, 09:15 PM
Soody

I can see what the guy who put this on was thinking. The metallic purple is pretty nice and it does sort of match the frame. It's light too (620 grams).
But a chromed fork would look much better and this one is probably pretty harsh to ride.

Old 10-15-22, 09:23 PM
Soody

Ah ok probably a replacement . Looks like a kinetic alloy one I have in the spares bin .
Let me know what length that steerer is .
I may have a steel fork with campy ends that will work .
That would be amazing. I'd give you some money for it.
I'm gonna try to find one locally first to save you the trouble posting though.

The steerer is 237 mm. Slightly longer would be nice to run a few spacers in the headset stack and get higher bars.

Last edited by Soody; 10-15-22 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-15-22, 09:27 PM
Soody

What are these little pegs in the tubes?
Old 10-15-22, 09:31 PM
Soody

Rust inspection/removal with a wire tooth brush and a razorblade.
Rags stuffed in there to avoid getting flakes in the frame.
It's not as bad as I thought. I was thinking i'd be grinding the cable guides off but they're probably ok.

Old 10-15-22, 10:23 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
First example i have seen with the "pintail" lugs and CIOCC piercings in the lower headlug and BB shell, so I'm a believer now that the Pelizzoli shop made THIS one, or at least the Bonati shop did using old stock lugs and shell.
But I dispute whether Billato was the shop that built the later Concordes: might have happened but I think more likely this gets repeated cause someone once confused one "B" shop (Bonati) with another (Billato). It was Bonati that bought the CIOCC brandname as well as "John" brands from Pelizzoli and also made the Conti brand. I think they built some Battaglin as well as some Guerciotti frames, too.
Old 10-15-22, 10:27 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
A Looks like a kinetic alloy one I have in the spares bin .
that brand was Kinesis, who made a lot of ALU alloy forks that appeared on several brands. I was never a fan...
Likes For unworthy1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.