Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rug to Catch Snow...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Rug to Catch Snow...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-22, 08:59 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Rug to Catch Snow...

After the luxury of being able to park my snowy bike in the warehouse of my last job, with the new job I park in my office. So a few weeks ago I bought a 6x2 ft rug at Walmart for $10 in hopes it would catch the 'drippins'... and it did!

There were thee inches of fresh powder on the way in and even though I knocked a much snow as I could off the bike, you can see there's still a fair amount of snow on the bike.

Anyway i just wanted to share.

Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-19-22, 08:34 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
After the luxury of being able to park my snowy bike in the warehouse of my last job, with the new job I park in my office. So a few weeks ago I bought a 6x2 ft rug at Walmart for $10 in hopes it would catch the 'drippins'... and it did!

There were thee inches of fresh powder on the way in and even though I knocked a much snow as I could off the bike, you can see there's still a fair amount of snow on the bike.

Anyway i just wanted to share.

I notice you bungee your pack upright. Funny how I never thought of that before.
Old 11-19-22, 09:23 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I used the clear plastic carpet runners to do the same for years in Ann Arbor and Portland (rain). If set on carpet, the wheels create nice dips to collect the water.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 11-19-22, 08:14 PM
randomgear

Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Assuming that you work in an Office Building: If you are in a building run by a building management company or just a well run building, they might be able to let you use a rubber backed rug that gets put down on rainy or snowy days when people track lots of water and street/sidewalk grit on their shoes. They get picked up and replaced clean and dry for the next storm and, I think, vacuumed dry for the next day.

If that isn't something your building does, and a great many don't, then you may want to invest in a heavy rubber backed rug (such as a walk-off matt) to keep water from going through and eventually staining the floor. It probably needs to be well cleaned at least monthly just to avoid dirt and grit buildup.

If you work, or at least leave the bike in a workshop area/garage/storage/ back-of-the-house area, then what you are doing is probably quite fine.

Last edited by randomgear; 11-19-22 at 08:19 PM. Reason: additional info....
Old 11-19-22, 08:28 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
What a nice bike. All packed up and usable. So much more pretty than a premadona Wall Hanger...
Old 11-20-22, 05:31 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
How much Snow did you get? We got 3"+ here in Boulder. Fun, fun!
Old 11-20-22, 06:49 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
How much Snow did you get? We got 3"+ here in Boulder. Fun, fun!
Three inches in downtown Colorado Springs.
Old 11-20-22, 07:53 AM
BobbyG

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I used the clear plastic carpet runners to do the same for years in Ann Arbor and Portland (rain). If set on carpet, the wheels create nice dips to collect the water.
I remembered some one mentioning that on bikeforums (you?) and I thought about that, but for $10 I'll see if this can handle the job without getting too gross.

Originally Posted by randomgear
Assuming that you work in an Office Building: If you are in a building run by a building management company or just a well run building, they might be able to let you use a rubber backed rug that gets put down on rainy or snowy days when people track lots of water and street/sidewalk grit on their shoes. They get picked up and replaced clean and dry for the next storm and, I think, vacuumed dry for the next day.

If that isn't something your building does, and a great many don't, then you may want to invest in a heavy rubber backed rug (such as a walk-off matt) to keep water from going through and eventually staining the floor. It probably needs to be well cleaned at least monthly just to avoid dirt and grit buildup.

If you work, or at least leave the bike in a workshop area/garage/storage/ back-of-the-house area, then what you are doing is probably quite fine.
I started this job four months ago. I'm in an older part of the building and the floor came pre-stained to some degree...not horrible, but enough that any scuffs or scratches I could add would be unnoticed. They have been laying out rugs in the hallway leading from the back, outside door when it snows or rains, but I don't know who does it or how often they're changed. My office is away from the main public area, and more for "go" than for "show" although I updated it from the dark, goth, dorm-room vibe of my predecessor into a clean, modern, well-lit space, and every one seems happy about it.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-23-22, 08:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
love it! do you keep a brush as work, or in your pack? something like a bench brush or wisk broom?

Old 11-24-22, 08:39 AM
BobbyG

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
love it! do you keep a brush as work, or in your pack? something like a bench brush or wisk broom?

Smart! Good idea. I may try that.
Likes For BobbyG: