Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Can you help me ID this vintage bike with Campagnolo parts?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-22, 07:48 PM
boludo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 12-03-22, 01:17 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

appears near to 1979

looks made to order

not Italian or Belgian

leaning toward an anglophone origin, probably U.S.

looks like it may be a student/hobbyist level creation rather than a professional one

if that is the case you may never find a specific maker

one spot to look for a possible maker's mark is the steerer

checking tube diameters and threading would narrow national origin

----

Last edited by juvela; 12-03-22 at 07:24 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-03-22, 10:12 AM
boludo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That makes sense. I assume it doesn't have much value so I guess I will remove the parts worth selling and ditch/give away the frame. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-03-22, 10:16 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

should you wish to pursue an identification of the maker one avenue of investigation would be to ask amongst the cycling community in your area to see if there are or have been any hobbyist level builders

since frame appears later seventies keep in mind we are talking about roughly forty-five years back...

-----

Last edited by juvela; 12-03-22 at 10:18 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-03-22, 10:17 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
I would tend to agree that this one looks like a one off build by and individual the brazing on the head tube and paint look to be hand done and not at the level you would expect from known maker for a bike with campy parts and dropouts.
Old 12-03-22, 11:20 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 1,131 Posts
I would not be so quick to dismiss this one. I agree that, with no serial number, it was probably made by someone who made few frames, but the builder had enough savvy to understand that, with a frame this small, a sloping top tube and fillet brazed head make a lot of sense.

"Birdsmouth" finish on the fork ends and stays looks nice to me, Fillet brazing looks decent and I don't see any obvious signs of undercut tubes from the finish filing. Wrap around seat stays appear to be nicely done.

Paint apparently went on thick and was not properly cured but not awful.

If you know anyone small enough to ride this bike you might want to let them ride it and give you their impressions before stripping it.
Brent
Old 12-06-22, 10:27 AM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
You should try a little harder to figure out what that is. A very tight, perfectly fillet brazed headtube junction looks kind of skilled to me. I'd be looking for markings on maybe the fork steerer, or more carefully on the bottom bracket or other places we find markings. like near seatlug. No rack brazes and drillium wasn't typical for ordinary bikes.
Old 12-06-22, 05:52 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
In any case it does have super short wheelbase and frame size would make a one of kind great rider for that just right size rider.
Old 12-07-22, 07:33 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@boludo - I would not dismiss this fame. It may be a local build but it look like decent quality. Just because it can't be identified doesn't mean it isn't a good bike.