Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

3rensho

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 12:17 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
3rensho

Why do these command such outrageous prices? I'm not putting them down, I just don't know anything about them and I'm just curious for my own knowledge. I might be in the market for another high quality bike and I've noticed these while "shopping" around. Thanks.
Old 02-04-16, 12:20 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I not sure why but I would think it a combination of rarity and craftsmanship. All the photos I've seen of them show beautiful detailing.
Old 02-04-16, 12:23 PM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
Top quality frames in their time: road, track, time trial. Beautiful detailing, too. They also had some pretty wild/innovative designs. The fact that after Konno's accident there will never be more adds to the value.

Likes For EnzoRWD:
Old 02-04-16, 12:32 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
I think it has to do with him applying Italian craftsmanship and trying to elevate the Japanese brand while being innovative. Which he did. Plus, yes he was shamed by killing 5 people while intoxicated and becoming paralyzed, so tragedy was involved. Last, probably doesn't hurt that that yellowjersey or whomever states. "There will be no more 3Rensho!"
Old 02-04-16, 12:38 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I can remember when Yellow Jersey was still selling 3Rensho Katana frames for about $500-600. I wish that I had bought one back then!
Old 02-04-16, 12:45 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I can remember when Yellow Jersey was still selling 3Rensho Katana frames for about $500-600. I wish that I had bought one back then!
Or several. Even coming across a Super Record Export seems tough. People are holding.......
Old 02-04-16, 12:53 PM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Originally Posted by tarwheel
there were still a few funny bike framesets for sale when I worked there in ~2005
Old 02-04-16, 01:22 PM
dailycommute

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you are into Japanese frames 3rensho is one of the premium lines, never ridden one myself but occasionally see decent prices on ebay--there was a first gen specialized allez 3rensho not too long ago which I bid on but not surprisingly was nowhere close in the end!
Old 02-04-16, 02:42 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
I've read a few posts here saying that 3 Rensho's were mostly not that great to ride on the road (way too skittish for fast decents) because their geometries were based more on track bikes? Is there any truth to that?
The 3R had been sort a grail bike to me since I first saw my racer friend's example of the bike in the early 80's, but when I read the comments about it's not so forgiving handling, it gave me pause from getting one.....along with the now quite exhorbitant prices they are going for
Old 02-04-16, 02:47 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I don't know about the market in Japan, but here in the US, frames of this level of craftsmanship are usually from Europe or North America, which makes Japanese-made stuff exotic. That could be one factor among several which make the value so high. Other reasons are stated above.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-04-16, 04:47 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
I have owned two. Both were absolute delights to ride even though one of them had suffered front end damage which creased TT and DT. It still rode hands off. Very responsive. I did not find them skittish but my descents on them were sorely limited.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 02-04-16, 05:17 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
I've read a few posts here saying that 3 Rensho's were mostly not that great to ride on the road (way too skittish for fast decents) because their geometries were based more on track bikes? Is there any truth to that?
The 3R had been sort a grail bike to me since I first saw my racer friend's example of the bike in the early 80's, but when I read the comments about it's not so forgiving handling, it gave me pause from getting one.....along with the now quite exhorbitant prices they are going for
That's certainly my opinion.

Scared the b' jeezus out of me on a long descent heading heading into Taylors Falls here in Minnesota.

Death wobble at 48 mph. No thanks.

Had to lock in my knees to save my rear.

Frame alignment checked out fine. The bike was a handful.

Nice looking though.
Old 02-04-16, 06:05 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
That's certainly my opinion.

Scared the b' jeezus out of me on a long descent heading heading into Taylors Falls here in Minnesota.

Death wobble at 48 mph. No thanks.

Had to lock in my knees to save my rear.

Frame alignment checked out fine. The bike was a handful.

Nice looking though.
I have an "early" Super Record Export (road) and have had no issues with descending.

I also echo some of the comments that Yoshi made VERY high-quality frames of exceptional craftsmanship, but then so did many others in the USA, Canada, Europe and Japan. He was by no means alone, but clearly near the top of a pinnacle.

As in many popular things, the "hype" has some basis in fact (in this case much basis) but then takes on a life of its own.
Old 02-04-16, 06:26 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Basically, the high-zoot prestige and cult status of 3Rensho is a variation on the theme that has driven Confente prices to national-debt-refinancing levels: a well made high end product, beautifully executed, combined with scarcity born of a tragic/unfortunate abbreviation of the builder's career.

Here's an imperfect but instructive Hollywood analogy: James Dean.
Old 02-04-16, 07:01 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
The Radavist posted a nice feature on Yoshi Konno and his from the December 1984 issue of Winning which is worth checking out. Helps explain why they are so sought after. A scan of the article can be found here:

Yoshi Konno Article | The Radavist
Old 02-04-16, 07:51 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
The bike was a handful.

Nice looking though.
This was my experience. I had a Super Record Export and it was fun to ride but the first time I went down Newport Coast towards PCH full tilt I decided these older bones like to stay all put together. It found a new home. I have seen very few in larger sizes.

Thin, pointy lugs. Pre clean up with the original odd looking brakes. 7200 or 7300, not sure.

Mix of Record and Chorus 10 speed.

Old 02-04-16, 07:58 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by tmh657
This was my experience. I had a Super Record Export and it was fun to ride but the first time I went down Newport Coast towards PCH full tilt I decided these older bones like to stay all put together. It found a new home. I have seen very few in larger sizes.

Thin, pointy lugs. Pre clean up with the original odd looking brakes. 7200 or 7300, not sure.

Mix of Record and Chorus 10 speed.

That's such a pretty bike!

I know others like them a great deal, but we don't have to like them all.

Do we?
Old 02-04-16, 08:09 PM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
There is not much in the way of descents at the Jersey shore, However I can say for flying around these flatlands the 3Rensho has me smiling ear to ear.

Old 02-04-16, 08:45 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

So I will take this opportunity to share photos of the two I owned

This is the one with the front end damage. It went through several incarnations but I like this DA version best. Sold the frame to a forum member.

3Rensho DA 02 by L Travers, on Flickr

This was my first 3Rensho. Bought it a swap really cheap. I believe it was first gen C-Record sans Deltas. But the Cobaltos still had their jewels. It was just a bit too big for me. Sold it for what I paid for it plus probably a grand in parts. It later sold on eBay for a ridiculous amount. About six months later, a forum member contacted me saying they had the frame. Seems the eBay buyer just wanted the C-Record. It has a good home now.

P5130846 by L Travers, on Flickr

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 02-04-16, 09:56 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
@Vonruden @CV-6 I just love those purple 3Renshos. I know internet photos can be deceiving, but those two bikes seem to have less steep head tube angles than the other 3Renshos, which might make them less twitchy than your typical 3Rensho. Lynn, did both of your two 3Renshos ride similarly?

Those thin lug points are just showing off! Personally, I prefer more of a filed taper look down towards the tube rather than a thin but raised lug point. Still, you have to respect the craftsmanship and daring approach these frames.

The man knew how to put an elegant line to a fork.

Last edited by gaucho777; 02-05-16 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-04-16, 11:03 PM
okie1kenobi

Bikes: '80 Bianchi Nuovo Racing, '98 3Rensho Track, '94 Yeti Ultimate, '98 Yeti Road Project, '80s Gianni Motta, '98 Klein Mantra Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've posted my 3Rensho track before but here it is again, an absolute blast to ride and I'll never part with it, the frame, detailing, and paint are amazing.

I've been searching for a road frame and the prices seem very high these days, well past what I think is reasonable and some seem to be in rough shape.

Likes For okie1kenobi:
Old 02-05-16, 08:17 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Some beautiful 3Renshos posted here. You don't often see them in larger sizes. Purple is not one of my favorite colors, but those purple bikes are stunning.

The 3Renshos and Miyata Teams are some of the bikes I keep an eye out for when perusing Craigslist and eBay. If I ever stumble across one in my size, excellent condition and proper fit, I would be very very tempted to buy it.
Old 02-05-16, 08:58 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

^^ is that DA 10 pitch? Super cool.

My '86 Super Record Export. Found with a cracked dropout, no fork, crap paint, and minor rust in a basement. Rode it as a single speed through college, then "restored" it a few years ago. Not at all original and ruffles some feathers, but I do ride it a lot. Heck of a lot better than sitting broken under a pile of taco'd wheels.

Oh, and it is the biggest one I've ever seen. 62cm

Old 02-05-16, 11:11 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Originally Posted by gaucho777
@Vonruden @CV-6 I just love those purple 3Renshos. I know internet photos can be deceiving, but those two bikes seem to have less steep head tube angles than the other 3Renshos, which might might them less twitchy than your typical 3Rensho. Lynn, did both of your two 3Renshos ride similarly?

Those thin lug points are just showing off! Personally, I prefer more of a filed taper look down towards the tube rather than a thin but raised lug point. Still, you have to respect the craftsmanship and daring approach these frames.

The man knew how to put an elegant line to a fork.
I can't say that I recall any real difference in the rides. But the ownership was far enough apart that I may not have noticed any subtle differences.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 05-04-21, 06:57 PM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
No - they are beautiful to ride and one of the best descending bikes I've owned. My .02 cents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.