Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Revelo Lift - new folder on the market

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 03-05-17, 09:17 PM
Flimbs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey folder experts,

Hoping to get your input on what you think of this folder, I saw it at the Toronto bike show this past weekend and very intrigued by it. Doesn't fold up as small as the Brompton, or have the highest quality parts, but the intro price makes it attractive.

https://revelo.ca

It's the lift, not the electric. Opinions?
Old 03-05-17, 09:52 PM
wesgreen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
Too small for me, but it's nice to see someone adding a new design to this market. Even at this price, they give you a real crank, so you could swap to a larger chain ring (looking at you, Dahon, with your "integrated crank" bs)! Thanks for the link!

Last edited by wesgreen; 03-05-17 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-06-17, 06:18 PM
Flimbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wesgreen
Too small for me, but it's nice to see someone adding a new design to this market. Even at this price, they give you a real crank, so you could swap to a larger chain ring (looking at you, Dahon, with your "integrated crank" bs)! Thanks for the link!
The frame is too small for you, or the wheels? I asked about the possibility of a 20" version, he said maybe.
Old 03-06-17, 07:30 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 185 Posts
Stem reminds me of a Mezzo. Wonder if that's where it came from.

Is that a kickstand mounted to the front axle on the driveside? Now that's a first, can't remember seeing that before. Would make sense if putting it midships or on the stays would interfere with the fold.
Old 03-07-17, 08:51 AM
wesgreen

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Flimbs
The frame is too small for you, or the wheels? I asked about the possibility of a 20" version, he said maybe.
Both. I need at least 20" wheels, unfortunately, for NYC potholes. Also, the fold is larger than I would prefer for travel. It looks practical for carrying on public transit, though, esp. at that weight. I could definitely see a market for this, at this price.
Old 05-05-17, 01:08 PM
Flimbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like they've launched! Very reasonable initial offering price. It's a not one of the big names that everyone talks about, but the difference for me is that I I've met the owners, they actually have a real store front in Toronto (not just online), and I've test ridden the thing. Looking forward to it!

If anyone has any any opinions I'd love to hear them. They have comparisons to strida add dahon on their website now.

Http://revelo.ca
Old 05-05-17, 04:18 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Looks like they've launched! Very reasonable initial offering price. It's a not one of the big names that everyone talks about, but the difference for me is that I I've met the owners, they actually have a real store front in Toronto (not just online), and I've test ridden the thing. Looking forward to it!

If anyone has any any opinions I'd love to hear them. They have comparisons to strida add dahon on their website now.

Http://revelo.ca
Am I correct this is marketed to commuters and maybe travelers, but not people who plan to ride any kind of distance? It's just the size and look of it doesn't suggest long-distance comfort. You've ridden it; would you consider 50-100 miles on it?
Old 05-05-17, 05:40 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looks auwful too me
Too small but big fold.
Gearing will be low.
High bottom bracket means bike would fit average sized man unless telescopic seatpost?
Very low rear mech.
Luggage options absent.
Old 05-07-17, 04:51 AM
Flimbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Am I correct this is marketed to commuters and maybe travelers, but not people who plan to ride any kind of distance? It's just the size and look of it doesn't suggest long-distance comfort. You've ridden it; would you consider 50-100 miles on it?
I could be right in that it is may not be designed with touring in mind, especially with those ergonomics and body positioning. It is seems very upright. For me, I'm not looking for my first folder and it's a good entry-level price and I'd be using it for multi-modal commuting and having something is can easily throw into the back trunk. It seems lightweight enough. A Brompton has a smaller overall fold, but it not a huge fan of the look and it's way out of my price range. I had my eye on the hummingbird and Helix as well, but also not in the cards.
Old 05-07-17, 04:57 AM
Flimbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bhkyte
Looks auwful too me
Too small but big fold.
Gearing will be low.
High bottom bracket means bike would fit average sized man unless telescopic seatpost?
Very low rear mech.
Luggage options absent.
Thanks for your insight. Some of things I didn't think about.

The fold definitely isn't the smallest, but it would suit me for now. I probably wouldn't be travel with it. It's smaller than the Burke 16 or 20 and smaller than the most Dahons in the think.

The rear mech/derraileur concerts me too but I've seen other designs similar to it, so I'm not hoping that it's ok. It's my first folder.

It is a telescopic seat post. It will have the option of a front rack, both sure about rear yet but I'd want it for sure. I don't think I'd be touring around the world with it. Just multi-modaling around my city.

So many options out there! Thanks for the tips.
Old 05-07-17, 05:26 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for your insight. Some of things I didn't think about.

The fold definitely isn't the smallest, but it would suit me for now. I probably wouldn't be travel with it. It's smaller than the Burke 16 or 20 and smaller than the most Dahons in the think.

The rear mech/derraileur concerts me too but I've seen other designs similar to it, so I'm not hoping that it's ok. It's my first folder.

It is a telescopic seat post. It will have the option of a front rack, both sure about rear yet but I'd want it for sure. I don't think I'd be touring around the world with it. Just multi-modaling around my city.

So many options out there! Thanks for the tips.
Often cheaper to buy the right folder in the first place.
Can you imagine selling this particular bike and not making a big loss when you buy your next folder?
Will it still be running or serviceable when you sell it. Spares available?
Cost over 10 years?
Nearly all my bikes have sold either for a profit or at 3/4 of what I paid for them. I tend to buy used. But I just sold a new bike for a profit. It was upgraded.

Buying a Brompton is not a more expensive investment over buying a cheaper folder in the long run.
I would not buy a new Birdy as they lose money. Might be worth considering if you don't feel this is your first and last folder.

Last edited by bhkyte; 05-07-17 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-07-17, 05:37 AM
Flimbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Often cheaper to buy the right folder in the first place.
Can you imagine selling this bike and not making a loss when you buy your next folder?
Cost over 10 years?
Nearly all my bikes have sold either for a profit or at 3/4 of what I paid for them. I tend to buy used. But I just sold a new bike for a profit. It was upgraded.

Buying a Brompton is not a more expensive investment over buying a cheaper folder in the long run.
I would not buy a new Birdy as they lose money. Might be worth considering if you don't feel this is your first and last folder.
This company just launched so on top of their discounted launch price, they also offered a special discount to those who have been following them. I only found them in March at my local bike show. I'm also treating this like a possible secondary folder for the my wife or my son when he gets older (just some possibilities).

I was checking out the birdy too! Are they looking to go out of business or something. I like the look of them too and their fold looks to be tight. Surprisingly tho, their folded dimensions aren't as small as I hoped and it's about 11kg. However, it looks to have a lots of mounting options for racks/bags.
Old 05-07-17, 06:46 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This company just launched so on top of their discounted launch price, they also offered a special discount to those who have been following them. I only found them in March at my local bike show. I'm also treating this like a possible secondary folder for the my wife or my son when he gets older (just some possibilities).

I was checking out the birdy too! Are they looking to go out of business or something. I like the look of them too and their fold looks to be tight. Surprisingly tho, their folded dimensions aren't as small as I hoped and it's about 11kg. However, it looks to have a lots of mounting options for racks/bags.
Better bike to ride than most in the compacts. Fits bigger riders. Versions with front and rear racks are actually is best to roll which doesn't get reported anywhere other than by me!
So folded size is less of an issue.
Old 05-07-17, 06:50 AM
Flimbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better bike to ride than most in the compacts. Fits bigger riders. Versions with front and rear racks are actually is best to roll which doesn't get reported anywhere other than by me!
So folded size is less of an issue.
Whoops, I completely misread. You said not to get the birdy. I've researched so many folders now that it'd hard not to get the n+1.
Old 05-07-17, 08:03 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Whoops, I completely misread. You said not to get the birdy. I've researched so many folders now that it'd hard not to get the n+1.
I did oringilly. It was a typo.
No what I was saying was me in my situation. In the UK birdies are expensive but much cheaper used. So I would tend to buy used.
Brompton keep their value where ever you are. So I makes sense to buy a bespoke Brompton new imo.
I was not recommending against the birdie.
I have 3.
Old 05-07-17, 09:14 AM
icedmocha 
There's time now

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4096 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 113 Posts
I did oringilly. It was a typo.
No what I was saying was me in my situation. In the UK birdies are expensive but much cheaper used. So I would tend to buy used.
Brompton keep their value where ever you are. So I makes sense to buy a bespoke Brompton new imo.
I was not recommending against the birdie.
I have 3.
So you would but a new Brompton vs used? Is your opinion tempered by being in the UK?
Old 05-07-17, 09:29 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
What's the budget? There' a shop near me closing and selling off their Bromptons pretty cheap ($1200 and up). I'm sure they would ship. Also, what is your skill level with bike mechanics? If you get a used bike it will require some work and if you can't do it or don't have access to tools, you have to factor in that cost up front (although you would likely acquire the tools over time anyway). Downtube has some folders that fold up pretty small and they are very inexpensive; you could get into folders cheaply and then just give it away if you are ready to upgrade to a Brommie or something else later on.
Old 05-07-17, 09:54 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would recomend you do some test rides.
I dont like the ride of a Brompton. Their are many that do. There are much more variations between brands in folding market that other types of bikes. You might work out a model is best on paper and not like it when you get it.
A Brompton is a safe bet as they are easy to sell and dont lose much money.
I would buy a Brompton new if I wanted one. I have however come across 2 second hand bromptons very cheaply and bought them. But I do a lot of searching for used folders.
Their is a world of difference between folders. Even ones that look simular.
A mezzo looks very simular to a brompton but is a very different bike.
You really need to do some test rides unless something is cheap enough its worth a punt
Old 05-07-17, 10:11 AM
tmesis

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would buy a Brompton new if I wanted one.
Why? Just curious.
Old 05-07-17, 10:58 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tmesis
Why? Just curious.
You can get it speced as you wanted.
You dont get a lot of discount on a used one. But you are taking a risk by not having warranty etc.
Old 08-14-17, 05:25 PM
Flimbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoever else that was on the fence about this company, they're actually coming through with delivery! Bonus too, because of the delay, they're offering some cool upgrades and extras, as well as an unexpected colour choice. I think that I might still go black though. Orange would be super cool, but my thought process is that a folding bike is meant to be stealthy, not flashy.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

We're getting awfully close to the Toronto Fall bike show too. That'd be two bikes on one season! Woooo...
Old 02-06-19, 12:45 PM
docpickles

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Flimbs have you enjoyed your Lift? I am super interested in their bike. Care to give us an update?
Old 02-11-19, 09:47 AM
docpickles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going to check out Revelo today after work! Super excited to see one of these in person. Sadly, a blizzard expected tomorrow, so no massive test rides for the foreseeable future. Just a parking lot drive for me.

This 16" sport model looks to be checking all my boxes especially if I upgrade to a 56 tooth crank. I like the trigger shifting. I also think the orange model is faster, right? Orange is always fastest. I found online one that somebody put a 56 tooth on theirs so I think it's do-able. Looks like such a sweet ride. But how will it feel? Oh when will work end dang it?!

https://www.revelo.ca/pages/lift-folding-bike-2019
Old 02-12-19, 09:20 AM
docpickles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I get great pleasure from my road bike, and ride mountain bikes reluctantly only when conditions are bad. The reason? I’m lazy. I don’t want work to feel like work. If I’m going to ride a bike every day, those 20km had better feel like a pleasure or else eventually, I probably won’t be riding every day. I’m easily pleased by efficiency, and that’s how I feel about bikes. A bike can be one of two things: A pleasure, or work. Riding the Revelo Lift is a pleasure.

For years I’ve been a weekend explorer. Toronto’s regional transit has bike racks on most of their busses, so with my road bike I am able to explore some pretty good stuff in a large region of forests and farms and lakes, including Niagara Falls. From April to November I put in as many centuries as I can. But lately, this donut of land has felt smaller. This summer, I want to go a little further. So this winter I’ve been looking high and low for a bike I would enjoy riding that fits in an Ikea bag. As I mentioned above, when it comes to getting pleasure out of work, I’m very, very efficient.

The folding bikes I looked at were the Dahon Speed and the Giant Expressway. They both have long wheelbases, longer than my road bike. The idea being that the stretched out feeling gives a greater feeling of mastery of the road. I had trouble doing shoulder checks with a short or long wheelbase. The jittery feeling of a small folding bike comes from the narrowness of it.

The first folding bike I looked at was the Giant Expressway. The bikes I own are both bought and serviced from my neighbourhood Sweet Pete’s Bike Shop. (An excellent bike outfit if you’re in Toronto: www.sweetpetes.com) I’m lucky to have them. Expressway was a half fold and was pretty straightforward, but just too heavy for what I have in mind.

The Dahon Speed was at the store down the block. It’s the steel edition of the Dahon Mariner (I was interested in the Mariner) It was a similar size to the Giant Expressway, fold was smaller and somehow more elegant. But still it was large, and still it was heavy. Not Ikea bag worthy.

Brompton: I had tried a Brompton in the past – not my own – and I’m assuming they feel exactly the same and will for all time. It’s a bit too rich for my budget. The feeling I got when I rode it was like I was in a rumbling paper airplane with a rocket engine. It was a very good airplane and an exhilarating ride, but it wasn’t the right feel for me. It was a “sport” handlebars model which probably added to the rocket feeling. If I have the money, one day a Brompton is the sort of thing I would customize so that it was just right, and I would fold it up, so that it could fit on my luxury yacht, near the helipad, and use it to pedal around my estate in Maui.

WalMart. I was pwned by a foldie from WalMart once. Let’s not talk about it. I must have blocked it out of my memory. It was so awful I curbed it. Last I saw it was being ridden away by the guy on my street who feeds stray cats.

Helix. Crickets.

There was a Strida bike on my local Kijiji. It’s a small and tall fold which is kind of what I had in mind, when I envisioned a bike in an Ikea bag. A very cool bike, but not a very fast bike. I’m imagining 60-80km explores, so an element of speed is important.

Solorock was prominent on Amazon, ebay, and kijiji. In the end I never checked them out in person. I went online and that’s what led me to this bike forum. They have a local store in Mississauga. I learned they rebrand bikes and market their name. Nothing wrong with that, they obviously are very good at getting their name out there. I’m impressed by their metadata.

Finally I found Revelo. They started in 2012 selling a folding ebike. A few years ago they introduced a bike that folds like a Z into a small & tall fold. Shorter than a Strida and as narrow as a Brompton. For overseas travel this bike can fit into a 29” suitcase.

I looked at the Sport model because I liked the Shimano Claris 8-speed that lets me change gears with my thumb. They have a 20” model but I’m into size so I was drawn to the 16” model.

The shorter wheelbase took a moment to get used to, I felt like I was looming over the front wheel at first. It looked like there was no front wheel at all. But the geometry of this bike was much closer to my road bike than to my mountain bike. It felt good. It was weird looking down and not seeing a tire, which affected my balance until I got used to it.

Folding the bike was easy. The impression I got from picking it up was that it was really well designed. Handles in the frame wherever there was a balance point. I was able to open it and close it with one motion on my first try. There’s a magnet that joins it, and the bike also came with velcro straps. One strap which you use to cinch the bike securely, another larger one that can be used as a shoulder strap. There was a small kick stand on the front wheel which kept it upright when folded.

The bike was surprisingly light. It had a light feel to lift, after lifting the Giant Expressway and the Dahon Speed this was a real delight.

The Revelo Lift had none of the annoying rattling I heard from other foldies. It was a smooth ride, gears changed smoothly, tires rolled smoothly. I was expecting something more road sensitive from an aluminum bike. I think the one-piece design of that Z fold makes a difference when it comes to evening out the road. But I'm not a scientist, I can't tell you if this is better or worse than other designs. I can tell you, speaking as someone who values a quiet ride, that this was a quiet ride.

The ride was quick and I can see how this would be ideal for city biking. It was quick and nimble. I had the same problem trying to do shoulder checks that I did with the Giant and the Dahon. This wasn’t because of a short wheelbase, it was because overall the narrowness and general smallness makes for a more jittery ride. On my road bike, I can lean on the handlebars and catch some wind, leisurely look back left or right without changing my balance. On long rides, I forget that I’m balancing at all. On a smaller folding bike, a larger rider would need to be mindful of this or might throw their balance off.

Measuring my ride from the store to my home, with a tailwind I was going about 16-20 km/h (about 10-12 mph) in city traffic. On my road bike I probably would have gone a bit faster, on my mountain bike a bit slower.

I had lightweight mudflaps, which is good because the roads were sloppy and slushy in places, and wet all over. The small wheels and the mudflaps did the trick, and there wasn’t any road salt goo on my coat when I got home, or mud on my pant cuffs.

Here is the ultimate test that makes this bike worth it for me: There is a stretch of ride on Shaw street where there is a gentle uphill grade, that always feels like a labour on my Kona Splice, I would feel a definite strain pushing up the grade – I hesitate to even call it a hill – and would be a bit winded and a few drops of sweat would pop up. There was none of this with the Lift. Riding was a pleasure. There is a definite ceiling to how fast I can go using a regular cadence of about 20km/h. Compared to my road bike I would objectively compare the Revelo Lift speed to my road bike speed a 7 out of 10, while the speed of my more labourious mountain bike is 6 out of 10. For example, this morning it was beginning to snow so I rode my Splice to work, into a headwind I went about 14km/h.

The bottom line is, for what I need it to do the Revelo Lift bike is the best value for the dollar. It has a great design, it feels good on the road to ride, and looks great. I am looking forward to nicer weather so I can take it out for longer adventures.

Here are some photos. I switched the 53T crank for a 56T one, and bought those important mud flaps.

Revelo Lift sport 16

I went about 16-20km/h (about 10-12 mph) at a normal cadence

Folds narrow like a Brompton in a cool Z shape.

Last edited by docpickles; 02-12-19 at 01:12 PM.
Likes For docpickles:
Old 02-15-19, 01:11 PM
Flimbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by docpickles
Hey Flimbs have you enjoyed your Lift? I am super interested in their bike. Care to give us an update?
Hey DocPickles!

That's a great post and write up of the Revelo. You should send it to the owner!

For me, It's a pretty good ride for the little folder that it is. The fold is fast, both to fold and unfold. It's lightweight, and rolls great. Although, I might look into their new 20" folder. Perhaps I can get some more speed out of it. When it comes to zipping around the city, I like to have the option of a bit more speed when it comes to getting through traffic. I hear Revelo will be at the Toronto Bike show this year.

And thanks for posting the pics too. That's a clever way to mount the front fender. I should look into that!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.