Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

2021: Your Top Three(C&V bike related)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

2021: Your Top Three(C&V bike related)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-22, 08:19 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
My top 3:
1) I only had two vintage bikes come my way this year, a 1976-ish Motobecane Grand Record and a 1984 Peugeot Urban Express, neither of which are built up yet. Work gets in the way of a lot of play... Here's what they could look like:

(This is pretty much how I'm going to build it up - picture courtesy of the previous owner)
That is a really cool looking build!
Old 01-09-22, 08:21 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,681 Times in 2,609 Posts
My top 3:
1) I only had two vintage bikes come my way this year, a 1976-ish Motobecane Grand Record and a 1984 Peugeot Urban Express, neither of which are built up yet. Work gets in the way of a lot of play... Here's what they could look like:

(picture courtesy of Stronglight's flickr)
Well, know we know what your outfit will be for Cino 2022, David.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-09-22, 08:36 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts
I had a few excellent bicycles follow me home this year!

Here are the top 3!

JJ

Old 01-15-22, 12:41 PM
Jrod721

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That Raleigh Pro is a stunner!
Likes For Jrod721:
Old 01-15-22, 03:40 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
No new bikes this year, either in or out. I did sell one last year, a "too small for me but couldn't pass it up" Legnano Gran Premio. So here's my top three, 1964 Legnano Roma, had since new, as my race junior racer bike. The bike still fits, the jersey doesn't. Second, my first ever build from scratch, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, built from a found, scrapped bare frame. Tie for third, both gold. I found a nearly mint decal and paint gold Peugeot on local Craigslist, and a 1978 Raleigh Super Course, a $20 Craigslist project.

1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, had since new.

1973 Raleigh Super Course, my first ever bike build.

The "found" scrapped frame the '73 Super Course started as.

1978 Peugeot PR10.

1978 Raleigh Super Course, $20 on local Craigslist.
Fun bike, looks like a beater, but what a sweet ride.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 01-15-22, 05:32 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Horrifically out of shape over the last ten years, I called a halt to that issue two years ago.

I decided to stop collecting and just work on the engine.

Four of my riding buddies are doing this "Northwoods route" in July and I am committed this trip as well.

https://theradavist.com/2021/11/lake...thwoods-route/

In addition, several of us are joining a Minnesota rando group as well.

It will help me focus on "wellness" as I head into retirement in a year.

More info: https://www.bikepackingroots.org/northwoodsroute.html
That looks like a lot of fun. I hope to get to do a ride like that one day. The only multi-day rides I've managed so far was TOMRV(2 days) and RAGBRAI. I'd vastly prefer northern WI,MI, and MN as you are doing.
Likes For beech333:
Old 01-15-22, 10:21 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed

1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, had since new.
Did you race with bar ends or are those a modern “upgrade”? I notice other bikes with them…

1973 Raleigh Super Course, my first ever bike build.

The "found" scrapped frame the '73 Super Course started as.
Wait, so you’re saying there was still chrome under all that paint? Did I miss a build thread? That’s an impressive transformation. And it came with a Sugino AT crank, which you appear to have retained - nice!

1978 Peugeot PR10.

1978 Raleigh Super Course, $20 on local Craigslist.
I would have picked up that bike up for $20 all day long! (Especially if it came with those 86 BCD cranks - I notice you like those cranks too!)
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 01-16-22, 01:52 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Did you race with bar ends or are those a modern “upgrade”? I notice other bikes with them…

Wait, so you’re saying there was still chrome under all that paint? Did I miss a build thread? That’s an impressive transformation. And it came with a Sugino AT crank, which you appear to have retained - nice!
The fork is a replacement Raleigh fork from Ebay, fully chromed, but I had the upper part painted to match. The rear stays chrome mostly survived when I stripped off the pea soup green, so I just polished it. Not perfect, but close enough.
I did use the AT crank and BB.

I would have picked up that bike up for $20 all day long! (Especially if it came with those 86 BCD cranks - I notice you like those cranks too!)
For $20, I got frame, brake calipers, BB, handle bars and head set, seat post and another ugly saddle. I added wheels, crank, front and rear derailleurs, brake levers, and shifters.
I did race the Legnano with bar ends, which I much prefer to down tube shifters. It came with Campy bar ends, so that's what I used. We're talking mid 60s, lots of guys raced with bar ends.
Old 01-16-22, 09:35 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 2,799 Times in 532 Posts
I managed just under 8000 miles for the year, sadly due to Covid and limited travel options, almost all of them have been in London, and I only managed 3 brief cycle trips outside London. The highlight of which was summer cycling in Mid Wales around where I grew up, with some camping thrown in with some old school friends, which was ace weather and fantastic fun..

First honourable bike mention goes to my Columbus SL Denti. It was first road bike frame I bought a dozen years ago, and I built it up with 10 speed Campag and its served me amazingly well since and has done many 1000's of miles. It was off the road for a year needing attention, and sat at the back of the bike pile for a another year or so, but at the end of 2020 I got it back on the road again, so I spent a lot of time riding it in 2021, and have reflected on how impressed I am with this bike, and how I lucked out having this as my first road bike build.

Seen here with some winter wheels and tyres, but in the summer I plan to get some black rims laced to some silver Campag hubs and some nice gumwall tyres, and as this is the only bike I own with a semi compact 52/36 chainset, its the one I'll likely be taking up to Wales in Spring for some exploring some 20%+ gradients in and around the Devil;s Staircase which has been on my cycling bucket list for a while.

Next up is my Merckx EX Titanium, which I have been looking for a Columbus Max fork to replace the old carbon one that came with the frame, and have scoured eBay for the last 3 years looking for one, with options being limited as I needed a fork with a long enough steerer to fit this 61cm frame. I finally found one, and a lovely full chrome one too, in West Siberia of all places.

And after a 3 years wait its been great to finally get this bike set up just as I want, and now running 28c tyres this is a fantastic, comfortable long distance bike that laughs in the face of crap UK weather.

And finally my only full new build of the year, a bonkers rowdy Italian Tommassini Super Prestige from 1991. Made from Columbus SLX with an Air fork, I purchased the frame from Belgium, and scoured eBay for as much shiny 10 speed Campag as I could manage, and it turned out great, another great riding bike.

I'm not planning on buying any bikes in 2022, but I bet we all say that nearly every year, and it doesn't seem to ever work out that way
But I am determined this year to ride more than last year, and hopefully Covid eases off and I can do more countryside cycling. As mentioned above I plan to revisit Mid Wales for some rides, and my brother has a work assignment in Scotland this summer, so I'm very much looking forward to cycling there, something I've never done before, so fingers crossed that happens.
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 01-25-22, 10:07 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
2021:
new Colnago
old Colnago
old Rossin
older Colnago

no pics.

2022:
older Rossin
(modern) but used SuperSix Evo Di2….maybe to provide parts for a RiddleOfSteel-type build.

Last edited by bamboobike4; 01-25-22 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-26-22, 04:21 PM
Kekec1965

Bikes: Several, to many to list, mainly vintage British build. From A-Z of brands there are two letters missing, X&Y.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 60 Posts
Just stumbled upon this thread - it took me some time to get through it, drooling at fabulous machines on display. So let me resurrect thread and add three of mine from 2021....not sure if these are faves, but they are definitely old enough to qualify

Pat Hanlon

Viking Tour of Britain

Hetchins Italia