Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Investment opportunity on eBay mega collection

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Investment opportunity on eBay mega collection

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-22, 11:33 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Rage
I feel pretty much the same way as guy1138. I’m a few years older and I think we might be amongst the youngsters in the c&v crowd. Around here, anyway. And, it seems, anywhere lol. I go to a vintage bike show around these parts and it’s just me and my completely disinterested wife.

There’s like nobody under sixty interested in the kind of bikes we’re talking about in this collection. Zero. And I hang around a lot of bike people/enthusiasts. The kind of people that spend thousands on bikes. I was talking to somebody yesterday just put a down payment on a 5300 dollar bicycle. Same guy has zero interest in any of the bikes in the collection that is listed.

Nobody I know cares. S’why I come on here lol.
I get it. St. Louis is somewhat the same way.
Plenty of interest, unless you're asking them to spend.

But the youngsters often will spring some $, just not a lot, for a cool bike.
Then, from about 35-55, zero interest, other than "I had one of those."

The Monday Night Shootout I attend has become, since it's flat, a place for those.
It's actually getting fun to see the older bikes once in a while.
It only takes one or two guys showing up on one, and doing fine, to start it.
Now, if I can just wean some from their All-City steeds to primo 80's.

Richmond's Bike Yard Sale is another place that's younger-driven.
They show up with the kids on their cargo bikes, and know their stuff.
The bike messenger scene also likes older bikes (better to abuse!)

First time I ever saw a Colnago, it was a young guy at a century.
"Like, in his 20's."
So there's hope.

Not for mankind, but perhaps the bikes.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 04-17-22, 11:53 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
I think vintage bikes will maintain a healthy presence in the marketplace even though the nostalgic generation is passing away. From a strictly intrinsic value point of view, many older steel bikes are a good deal. Not usually expensive to purchase, long lasting, low maintenance and we all know there's a deep inventory of used parts squirrelled away in some bast-rds basement.

There's a sea change going on in the world. I see the middle class shopping at thrift stores in increasing numbers, looking to save money. We may never see 5 figure prices for Confentes and Masi's on Craigslist but a well kept 80's bike should keep much of it's value. IMO, spending 5K on a carbon race bike is just silly if you're not an elite rider. The pendulum will swing back again.
Likes For clubman:
Old 04-17-22, 12:32 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
I love the old bikes. Recently spent hundreds getting this beautiful green Dawes Galaxy back together. It’s dazzling.

I take it on a group ride and most everybody is all, “ why’re you on that?”
Even the guys that’re older and might know the bike.

And, it’s like bamboobike4 says, some of the young kids like ‘em plenty good enough but they ain’t paying five hundred bucks for c&v, let alone 2500. That’s all a pipe dream.
Likes For Rage:
Old 04-17-22, 12:37 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
What’s really messed up is I wouldn’t pay five hundred for that Dawes. But I will spend four hundred getting it back together lol.
Old 04-17-22, 01:15 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by bamboobike4
So many experts.
The internet takes idle anonymous spouting to the next level.

I'd not list that stuff here, either.
But I continue to discuss it in my group.
Might be worth a trip. I need a client in Atlanta!
Huh? Is there something you know that no one else in this thread knows? Have you contacted the seller for details, do you know the seller personally?

The internet is really good at filling in the details when someone chooses to leave them out. In fact, some of the speculation in this thread is very worthwhile to anyone interested in spending $50K on this lot.
Likes For SoccerBallXan:
Old 04-17-22, 02:35 PM
guy1138

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
many older steel bikes are a good deal. Not usually expensive to purchase, long lasting, low maintenance.
I mean, you're basically arguing my exact point; these older steel bikes are great value; so by their nature, they can't get too expensive. Also, with wider tires and gravel being the new hotness, tight geo road bikes are even less desirable. Only vintage touring bikes are suitable to turn into "gravel grinders" as a budget option; just like horizontal dropout road bikes were the schiznit when fixies ruled the streets.

Last edited by guy1138; 04-17-22 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-17-22, 05:11 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
I think vintage bikes will maintain a healthy presence in the marketplace even though the nostalgic generation is passing away. From a strictly intrinsic value point of view, many older steel bikes are a good deal. Not usually expensive to purchase, long lasting, low maintenance and we all know there's a deep inventory of used parts squirrelled away in some bast-rds basement.

There's a sea change going on in the world. I see the middle class shopping at thrift stores in increasing numbers, looking to save money. We may never see 5 figure prices for Confentes and Masi's on Craigslist but a well kept 80's bike should keep much of it's value. IMO, spending 5K on a carbon race bike is just silly if you're not an elite rider. The pendulum will swing back again.
there will often be a drift to quality, which also can mean wide awareness.
I have a few sleepers, and a number I spent market for. Will I come out ahead?
doubt it. But I cannot ride my 10/2000 series ibonds either.
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-17-22, 08:54 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Aerzon
It could be that younger C&V enthusiasts aren't as interested in meets/group rides, albeit that's just a baseless guess on my part.
I am 39. I have a 9 month old baby, a dog, and a career. I don’t have time for meets, group rides, or anything of the sort because they are happening at times when I have other, more pressing things going on. I can tinker with old bikes in my garage at 11pm (and I do) but for now it’s very much a solo activity.
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 04-17-22, 09:38 PM
guy1138

Originally Posted by verktyg
One thing that I failed to mention and no one else has brought it up is frame sizes. The majority of these bikes and frames appear to be around 54cm (21 1/2").
That's actually a huge plus if you're in the US. I've sold 100 bikes per year for the last 3 years, and 50-56cm frames are my best seller. I was actually running a waiting list for 46-50cm bikes for a few months because they were so scarce. I think the biggest difference between your experience in the 70's and today is the number of female cyclists that are shorter, but want actual well-equipped road bikes instead of mixtes and cruisers.
Likes For guy1138:
Old 04-17-22, 09:50 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
People around here tend to appreciate the bicycles I build. I'm only 33. I also have a young family, a career, am currently in graduate school and volunteer regularly with local conservation organizations. I'll barely have time to squeeze in my first Eroica event at the end of the month between it all. Doesn't mean I'm not active in the community, though - I pay to be here, I share what I learn, and I'm also a member of the VCC.

If I had the big country house I dream about and was at the height of my working years or retired, I'd probably love to purchase and sort through a collection like this one, though the fact remains that this particular one looks to be full of bicycles that are too small and mostly too modern for my tastes.

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 04-17-22, 09:50 PM
guy1138

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
... the limitations placed on time for viewing and removal after the sale suggest that the seller has some kind of medical problem ...
Yeah, 100%. When these hordes of bikes and parts get listed, it's always because the owner is going into assisted living or hospice (c'mon, twelve "hose hangers" to store what are probably worthless 70's sew-up rims?!?)
Old 04-17-22, 10:18 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
I have made a note for my next-of to contact a specific Bike Forums member in the event of my demise. That individual would receive a PM requesting relative values of my seven remaining bikes; in return, they get all my spare parts and tools gratis

No, the person doesn't know they've been so designated, but they are plenty knowledgeable and were chosen because I know they can be trusted.

Hopefully it'll be another 20 years or more before that PM hits your inbox...

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 04-18-22, 07:30 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by SoccerBallXan
Huh? Is there something you know that no one else in this thread knows?
Absolutely. And I'm not the only one.
And also, no, but then again, I've not stuck some half-assed negative opinion out there, with no basis in fact.

Have you contacted the seller for details, do you know the seller personally?
Nope, and neither have you.
I see things that indicate potential. Don't just look at the bikes.
I see the ad for it's positive potential, not potshot potential.

The internet is really good at filling in the details when someone chooses to leave them out.
Sure it is. I'll bet you read that on the internet. Maybe on Twitter?

In fact, some of the speculation in this thread is very worthwhile to anyone interested in spending $50K on this lot.
Such as rccardr 's. Said with subtlety, and understood.

And a lot of the speculation in this thread is ass gas.
Anyone interested in spending $50K on this lot, AND saw it on eBay, is likely already investigating.
There are others, me included, who are thinking about it.
The value of that lot, if it exists, is lost on many here, who have offered BS opinions.
It's simply a collection of products that may or may not be worth the investment, given the other variables.
It's certainly worth more than your opinion.

In many cases on eBay, the ad is looking for the one or two interested informed people who are different than the thousands of complete morons.
The thousands of complete morons can have their little say, while the one or two get down to business.

BF is not the place to sell this collection, or even the individual items in it.
Everybody's bike is valuable when they sell it, but not when it comes time to buy.
There are some members here who may end up with something.
The noise here probably helps a bit, but doesn't affect a true sale.

Last edited by BillyD; 04-18-22 at 08:20 AM. Reason: insults
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 04-18-22, 07:35 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
You might want to reconsider your use of vocabulary.
Speculation is just that- but a difference of opinion doesn't make a fellow forum member a moron.
You're new here. In the future, please be more respectful of fellow members.
Carry on.
Old 04-18-22, 07:59 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Such as rccardr 's. Said with subtlety, and understood.

And a lot of the speculation in this thread is ass gas.
Anyone interested in spending $50K on this lot, AND saw it on eBay, is likely already investigating.
There are others, me included, who are thinking about it.
The value of that lot, if it exists, is lost on many here, who have offered BS opinions.
It's simply a collection of products that may or may not be worth the investment, given the other variables.
It's certainly worth more than your opinion.

In many cases on eBay, the ad is looking for the one or two interested informed people who are different than the thousands of complete morons.
The thousands of complete morons can have their little say, while the one or two get down to business.

No need to come off the top rope on this. Ease up, its the C&V forum. We talk about old bikes for goodness sake.

I do like that you say the value of the lot is lost on many here, while also acknowledging you dont know the value of the lot(and say it may not exist at all). Thats some good Monday morning laughs.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-18-22, 10:19 AM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 66 Posts
Some people have huge collections of things just because they can. money is no object. I know of people who have hundreds of vintage stereo amps and guys who have thousands of of model airplane kits. They loose interest and try and bulk sell it off. Most of the time it doesn’t work. I can see by most comments ,most would not bother even if they had the resources to get involved with such collections. I have found large collections have just locked me in one place or used up my time.
Ed
Old 04-18-22, 10:19 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by rccardr
You might want to reconsider your use of vocabulary.
Speculation is just that- but a difference of opinion doesn't make a fellow forum member a moron.
You're new here. In the future, please be more respectful of fellow members.
Carry on.
At no point was anyone here called a moron.
If there are those for whom the shoe fits, self-ascribing the term is unlikely.
Old 04-18-22, 11:14 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Strangely, you seem to equate being informed to also being among those who are interested in purchasing the collection, and shuffle everyone else off into the "thousands of morons" category. However, there are probably many more informed members of the community who wouldn't recommend purchasing such a collection for a variety of perfectly valid reasons based on extensive experience dealing with vintage bicycles (something which many of us possess) and that would make them uninterested. See how you skipped from "informed and interested" to "moron" up there without any consideration for that valid gray area? That's the part that should probably be reconsidered, as many of the nation's leading experts on vintage bicycle restoration and sales are members of this community, and some have already chimed in here. Your dismissive attitude of their opinions and experience is quite frankly disrespectful.

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 04-18-22, 12:32 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Careful now, pretty soon we'll need to queue up the cat videos.
Old 04-18-22, 12:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
At no point was anyone here called a moron.
Nobody was called that by name, but that doesnt change the clear intent of your earlier post. Dont try to play coy, its a bad look. Just accept the deserved criticism and move on.

Tom lives in a red house. Peter claims anyone who lives in a red house is a moron. Peter to Tom- "At no point did I call you a moron."
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-18-22, 01:01 PM
rccardr 

….

Last edited by rccardr; 04-18-22 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-18-22, 01:24 PM
rccardr 

...and now, back to our scheduled programming...
Old 04-18-22, 01:25 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
My cats are insulted.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-18-22, 01:46 PM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
I think I will bid $1 sight unseen.
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 04-18-22, 02:58 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
Let's all go for a ride.
Likes For clubman:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.