Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cino MMXXII - ready to roll and roll call!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cino MMXXII - ready to roll and roll call!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-22, 02:09 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
Jerseys are now available for order via the https://www.cinorider.com website!

Cino MMXXII
I'm really partial to the red, but unfortunately it's only available in long sleeves, which are a no go riding around here. Guess it'll be green for me.
Old 05-15-22, 02:22 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by VRJAKE
At last year's Cino, not sure anyone can top this Cino Clunker!

Guess he missed the memo that you need a 29er to ride gravel!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-15-22, 02:24 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
I'm really partial to the red, but unfortunately it's only available in long sleeves, which are a no go riding around here. Guess it'll be green for me.
But the red one would be perfect for lounging about in the cool of a Montana Saturday evening . . . .

(It's fun spending other people's money.)
Old 05-15-22, 02:54 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
I've never been to Berkley, but it seems to be cool there year-round. I wear my long sleeve to avoid sunscreen and I definitely use it up to the 60s, even 70s. It breathes nicely.
Old 05-15-22, 03:25 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Originally Posted by mountaindave
I've never been to Berkley, but it seems to be cool there year-round. I wear my long sleeve to avoid sunscreen and I definitely use it up to the 60s, even 70s. It breathes nicely.
I see your game. You're trying to get me to buy both.
Old 05-15-22, 03:38 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Old 05-15-22, 05:12 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
It's for the kids!
Old 05-15-22, 07:13 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I've never been to Berkley, but it seems to be cool there year-round.
The problem with that is most rides out of Berkeley go up and over the hills where it's significantly warmer.
Old 05-15-22, 09:38 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by gugie
The problem with that is most rides out of Berkeley go up and over the hills where it's significantly warmer.
The west coast of California is indeed a unique environment.
Old 05-19-22, 04:47 PM
BenottoGuy

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Pushed our European vacation back to October to make this year's Cino work. Hopefully I'll have better luck avoiding the flats with 2" tires this year!
Likes For BenottoGuy:
Old 05-19-22, 05:49 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

The west coast of California is indeed a unique environment.
Last July during the COVID dip my wife and I decided to do a 3 day trip to the Central Coast of California, and stayed in Cayucas (beach town). We went over to Atascadero, where it was 108 around lunch time. We drove back to Cayucas (half hour drive), it was 68.

There's a reason Mark Twain claimed the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.
Old 05-19-22, 07:43 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Last July during the COVID dip my wife and I decided to do a 3 day trip to the Central Coast of California, and stayed in Cayucas (beach town). We went over to Atascadero, where it was 108 around lunch time. We drove back to Cayucas (half hour drive), it was 68.

There's a reason Mark Twain claimed the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.
Me and the wife lived in Walnut Creek for little while. It would be 95 and we would decide to go in to San Fran. Put on pants and grab your coat!
Old 05-20-22, 09:01 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by BenottoGuy
Pushed our European vacation back to October to make this year's Cino work. Hopefully I'll have better luck avoiding the flats with 2" tires this year!
you better, i can't be there this year to give you tubes Europe will be less crowded in October. Win Win

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-06-22, 01:41 PM
SquireBlack 

Bikes: '66 Lygie, '02 Rivendell Atlantis, '03 Air Friday, '21 Black Shadow Campeur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 37 Posts
Accommodation available in Kalispell

I found an AirB'n'B house in Kalispell a while back, but have neglected to pay attention to filling it. Now that's become urgent — the cancellation deadline is 8 June, so I either need to fill or cancel before then.

It's a nice-looking modern house about 5 mins North of downtown Kalispell, with 5 bedrooms, and 6 beds. Two of those beds are spoken for, but theother four are available. I have the house Friday thru Monday, so that we can leave our stuff there while riding to Hot Springs, and then sleep over Sunday night after the second day of Cino.

One of the side effects of moving Cino to July is that prices in Kalispell are much higher; be prepared that your three-night share will be in the region of $650–$750 per person, depending on exactly how many people we fit in. But having a house will enable us to buy groceries and "eat in" rather than hunting for restaurants.

If you are interested, vaccinated and boosted, or just want to know more, contact me directly: apblack (at) ownmail.net. That address words for email or iMessages.
Old 06-13-22, 04:04 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
and remember it is montana, so be prepared for weather also july is usually safe from snow....... but glacier is forecasted for snow (up to 2 feet) today https://www.weathernationtv.com/news...NYvzSLzfS4gmXc

Old 06-13-22, 05:59 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Don’t plan on biking through Yellowstone afterwards either…
Old 06-13-22, 08:46 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Don’t plan on biking through Yellowstone afterwards either…

Holy Moley that's wicked!

All entrances to the Park are closed.

Glad I passed thru in April!
Old 06-13-22, 10:03 PM
davester

Well damn! We had planned to do Going To The Sun road the day after and then head for Yellowstone. Perhaps I should bring a vintage MTB (and snow shoes) instead of my planned steed.
Old 06-14-22, 08:56 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,132 Posts
This week I did the final bit of modification to the Allegro that I'll ride at Cino. Today was the shakedown ride and "blessing of the bike" by the spirits residing in the old spring box turned shrine. Not quite the Madonna del Ghisallo, but it will do for me.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 06-14-22, 10:35 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
and remember it is montana, so be prepared for weather also july is usually safe from snow....... but glacier is forecasted for snow (up to 2 feet) today https://www.weathernationtv.com/news...NYvzSLzfS4gmXc
For folks on the 2013 Cino, its etched in frostbite. I was soaked and cold on 9 mile hill and rode through rivers of water down to Kila. A rain shell and an extra layer can make a huge difference back there. The sag wagon parks at the pass and at lunch, so you can toss a layer in the wagon if you don't want to carry too much. Gotta love Montana weather.
Old 06-15-22, 07:01 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,403 Times in 1,204 Posts
As I recall, in 2016 it was hot and humid going up Nine Mile Hill, then on the way down to Kila it started to rain. Then the temp dropped a bunch. Then hail.
Old 06-15-22, 10:42 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
As I recall, in 2016 it was hot and humid going up Nine Mile Hill, then on the way down to Kila it started to rain. Then the temp dropped a bunch. Then hail.
Yea, Cino X. My son's 2nd Cino, I was on the Hobbs, he on his Mercian. @iab and I were riding on wooden rims/cork pads that year.
etherhuffer was sagg'n that year and had asked at the top of 9 mile hill if I wanted my jacket that he was carrying for me from the start.
I looked around saw the clouds forming up from where we had come but it was clear looking twords Kila where we were going.
It was still warm but the winds were beginning to pick up and my son and I figured if we took off right away we'd be able to beat the rain back to the Kila Pub.
I told HufferDave to keep it and I'd get it from him at the end of the ride. We took off downhill...
Well within a few miles the temps dropped, the winds came on quickly along with rain and hail.
We had to stop and with the help of a few riders including iabDave, move a tree that had fallen across the road.
Back on the bike, we put our noses to the bars and beat it as fast as we could to the Kila pub, wood rims and cork pads be dam*d.
I was thinking of my jacket stuffed in the sag car and Huffer laughing his arse off (which he was).
The Kila Pub never felt so good. Warm and foggy inside from all the muddy and wet riders packed in there.
It was fantastic!

Relive the glory Daze of Cino Here
Old 06-15-22, 11:21 AM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
Yea, Cino X. My son's 2nd Cino, I was on the Hobbs, he on his Mercian. @iab and I were riding on wooden rims/cork pads that year.
etherhuffer was sagg'n that year and had asked at the top of 9 mile hill if I wanted my jacket that he was carrying for me from the start.
I looked around saw the clouds forming up from where we had come but it was clear looking twords Kila where we were going.
It was still warm but the winds were beginning to pick up and my son and I figured if we took off right away we'd be able to beat the rain back to the Kila Pub.
I told HufferDave to keep it and I'd get it from him at the end of the ride. We took off downhill...
Well within a few miles the temps dropped, the winds came on quickly along with rain and hail.
We had to stop and with the help of a few riders including iabDave, move a tree that had fallen across the road.
Back on the bike, we put our noses to the bars and beat it as fast as we could to the Kila pub, wood rims and cork pads be dam*d.
I was thinking of my jacket stuffed in the sag car and Huffer laughing his arse off (which he was).
The Kila Pub never felt so good. Warm and foggy inside from all the muddy and wet riders packed in there.
It was fantastic!

Relive the glory Daze of Cino Here
I take the weather big time serious. My family is from North Dakota. We were on my uncle's farm and my aunt screams "Run! Run for the house!" Scared us to death. As I look over my shoulder I see a black cloud rolling over the hill. The house was about 300 yards away. By the time we got there it was hailing golf ball sized hail. That is MT and ND weather. My uncle had a rope tied from his house to his barn so he didn't get lost in the winter in a storm. My aunt and uncle never locked their doors. I asked why. "What if someone is traveling down the road and a storm hits, how would they get in?" People relied on each other for shelter there, regardless. Up in Flathead the altitude exacerbates this too. Not to scare people to death, but I think Reed had on the original web site a warning that Cino is fun ride, but a serious ride. Wise words. Oh, and be sure to have a nice prayer dedicated to Thor, God of Thunder. He will appreciate your reverence
Likes For etherhuffer:
Old 06-15-22, 02:32 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by etherhuffer
Oh, and be sure to have a nice prayer dedicated to Thor, God of Thunder. He will appreciate your reverence
Hey, we've got Thor in spades!

From the Touroica thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-2021-a-2.html
Old 06-15-22, 04:18 PM
davester

So, there seems to be a Cino-specific problem that nobody has addressed yet. That is, what watering hole should we all gather at following successful completion (something that I have discovered is not necessarily assured) of the ride? My understanding is that the Kila Pub is no more. So, do any of our resident Montanans have a fallback recommendation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.