Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Powder coaters you like - post them here!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Powder coaters you like - post them here!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-21, 09:11 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
True, but would you trust just any powder coater to do your bike frame?

"We've all heard horror stories of frames practically etched through by improper media blasting, lug details ruined by overly thick application, and terrible masking. Many are looking for someone they can trust with their precious frame and fork."
I recently got a frame/fork powdercoated so, I might have some info to share. Please help me out with your criteria though. My question is, how would I know if the media blasting was too aggressive? There is powder over it so, how would you know?
Old 08-11-21, 06:38 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
I recently got a frame/fork powdercoated so, I might have some info to share. Please help me out with your criteria though. My question is, how would I know if the media blasting was too aggressive? There is powder over it so, how would you know?
You don't, mostly because this is extremely rare, and powder coat will cover mistakes. In addition, this might be an issue if the frame was very thin walled (0.5-0.6mm wall thicknes, IMO). Something that thin would not be a production frame, and more likely to be wet painted by a reputable painter.

Personally, as long as you use someone that's used to powder coating bike frames and has a good track record, you're good.
Old 08-11-21, 11:58 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
My buddy Rob got his Cross-Check powder coated by a place in Cedar Rapids called "Rainbow Powdercoating" -- it seems to have changed hands and now goes by "The Powder Shop": https://www.powdershopinc.com/

It's been a few years and I don't think I have any pictures, but I thought it looked sharp. When I finally get that fork powder coated, they're the outfit I plan to take it to!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-12-21, 08:29 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
My buddy Rob got his Cross-Check powder coated by a place in Cedar Rapids called "Rainbow Powdercoating" -- it seems to have changed hands and now goes by "The Powder Shop": https://www.powdershopinc.com/

It's been a few years and I don't think I have any pictures, but I thought it looked sharp. When I finally get that fork powder coated, they're the outfit I plan to take it to!
Added to the list, thanks!
Old 08-13-21, 01:04 AM
Fivethumbs

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I got my Motobecane back from powder coat. It is still shrink wrapped but color looks good and finish is good on fork crown. I will post pics after I have a chance to go over it on the stand this weekend. He special ordered the color to match but still held the price at 125 for the frame and 25 for the fork. It looks like it was masked well and has little plugs in the axel stop screw holes so that's a good sign. He says he does a lot of bike frames as well as machined parts (industrial). From what I can see it looks like a good job. Joe
Whatever happened with this? I have a frame to powder coat and Ventura is close.
Old 08-13-21, 05:55 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Originally Posted by Fivethumbs
Whatever happened with this? I have a frame to powder coat and Ventura is close.
I got the frame on the stand and started adding some parts I was going to use on the build. I got the decals but have not put them on. Work has been crazy so between that and riding, I don’t have time right now to finish the bike. The coating looks real good with nice shine and color. It is not perfect like glass but probably better than factory finish. I make tools for my neighboring machine shop and he sent it to a shop he uses for his hot rod stuff. They are pretty close but don’t know the name of the shop. I can get the name and post it because I think for the money it is a good deal. This bike was bought for $20 and was rusted when I got it so it had to be done or the rust would have gotten worse. It is too nice a frame to let that happen.
Old 08-14-21, 06:07 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
[Forum mods, please delete the previous message that I posted with the same info and huge photos. The photos on that post are so big that the Edit button is obscured from me. Thanks!]

I haven't gotten any vintage frames/forks powdercoated,
just a modern mini-velo frame/fork that I bought without any finish at all.
I took it to the local powdercoater:

Sandblast America
6974 Wellington Road, Manassas, VA. 20109
SandblastAmericaLLC.com

Was quoted $175-$225 for media blast, masking and single color coat.
The color I wanted had to be special ordered so,
the price was adjusted to $150 + the cost of the powder.

Before I brought them the frame/fork, I made a list of every thread,
tube opening, and any other bicycle-specific masking instructions (keep
serial number legible, etc),
which I printed out like a checklist, then taped it into a loop around the toptube so
that it wouldn't become separated from the frame until they removed it.

I am happy with the result. They did everything that I instructed them to do.
I've no lugs or head-badge to report about but, if I had those, I would've first
gotten verification that they could properly address them.

Last edited by Nyah; 08-14-21 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-14-21, 07:09 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Nyah
[Forum mods, please delete the previous message that I posted with the same info and huge photos. The photos on that post are so big that the Edit button is obscured from me. Thanks!]

Sandblast America
6974 Wellington Road, Manassas, VA. 20109
SandblastAmericaLLC.com
List updated, thanks!

Note that you can delete your own previous post, just hit the edit button, look for the delete button, verify in a checkbox, save, and Bob's your uncle.
Old 08-14-21, 07:43 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
He said the edit button was obscured.

One trick that sometimes helps is the "source" menu item, but you have to be in edit mode to use that
Old 09-23-21, 01:28 PM
TullySteve

Bikes: 1973 Moto Grand Record (project); 1990s Moser Leader AX; 1982(?) Specialized Rockhopper beater city bike.

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

BBD Coaters Inc.
Syracuse, New York

Address: 103 Otisco St, Syracuse, NY 13204
Phone: (315) 423-1593

Motobecane Grand Record 1973. Three coat (prime, color, clear). Illusion Copper. Super careful with threads, detail on lugs. Great guys. $150 total (summer 2021)

Old 09-23-21, 02:07 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 403 Posts
I am happy with:

Cathy Kundratic
Powder Coat Finishes, LLC
4401 Eastern Ave
Bldg 49A
Baltimore, MD 21224
(410)675-0743
powdercoatfinishes@comcast.net

Photos of the five frames I had done there can be found in various topics I've started at C&V BF.

Old 09-23-21, 05:22 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

@TullySteve, @tiger1964, thanks for your additions, 2 more states down!

Nobody powdercoats bikes in Texas? Arizona, Ohio? Norcal is represented, how about SoCal?

C'mon folks, I know you're holding out...
Old 02-07-22, 12:31 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Some recent new threads on this subject make me want to ping this and get it back on page 1. Hopefully we can add some more powder coaters to this list.
Old 02-25-22, 05:27 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
Well Gugie,
It has finally happened! The chrome plating guys called me and said the Faggin is ready. So a trip to Shelbyville on Wednesday, and I just now can get into the forums to post the pics. So here are a few:

Frame is nicely done and the few bits that are not quite perfect are in the area that will be paint filled, and that was from incomplete cleaning on my part.

The lug details are crisp and clean.

The fork detail and the chrome is complete up to the threads on the steerer tube.

Clean and clear chrome on BB with nice transitions outlining the braze joints

More clean detail of the braze work and chrome around them.
The charge for the work was $475 and the four shop employees nicknamed the frame "the Italian bike" and took interest in the work they were doing on it. My second visit to the shop and the guys treat me like one of the local guys. Shop name is: Shelbyville Polishing and Plating. Highly recommended by me. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 02-25-22, 06:06 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Well Gugie,
It has finally happened! The chrome plating guys called me and said the Faggin is ready. So a trip to Shelbyville on Wednesday, and I just now can get into the forums to post the pics.
The charge for the work was $475 and the four shop employees nicknamed the frame "the Italian bike" and took interest in the work they were doing on it. My second visit to the shop and the guys treat me like one of the local guys. Shop name is: Shelbyville Polishing and Plating. Highly recommended by me. Smiles, MH
Added, thanks!
Old 02-25-22, 06:49 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
I will give you one to avoid. Gateway Powder Coating in O'Fallon, MO. They did frame for me and the coat was allowed to run on the upper seat stays. There is a ridge on the underside. You can see it in the photo below. I figured it was more hassle than it was worth to deal with them fixing it since it was not a restore. Frame looks great, but I always see the ridges.

STi Lejeune by L Travers, on Flickr

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 02-25-22, 07:42 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by CV-6
I will give you one to avoid. Gateway Powder Coating in O'Fallon, MO. They did frame for me and the coat was allowed to run on the upper seat stays. There is a ridge on the underside. You can see it in the photo below. I figured it was more hassle than it was worth to deal with them fixing it since it was not a restore. Frame looks great, but I always see the ridges.

So, recommend or no recommend?
Old 02-25-22, 08:09 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

So, recommend or no recommend?

First line of my post: I will give you one to avoid.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 02-25-22, 08:14 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

First line of my post: I will give you one to avoid.
Sorry, Friday night reading comprehension failure.
Old 02-25-22, 08:21 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Sorry, Friday night reading comprehension failure.

Well I did say the frame looks great with a caveat. So it could have been confusing.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 02-25-22, 09:04 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Well I did say the frame looks great with a caveat. So it could have been confusing.
I think the highball confused me.
Old 04-03-22, 09:32 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Groody Bros. Bicycle Restoration
912 SE 44th St
Topeka KS 66609

They only powdercoat bikes, nothing else.

Last edited by bamboobike4; 04-03-22 at 09:38 AM.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 05-20-22, 03:15 PM
rsacilotto

Bikes: 1983 Trek 760, 2000 Fuji Team, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts

do you mind me asking what the color is? I'm looking at Prismatic Copper Plus, it looks similar to this. I also like the wheels done to match.
Old 05-20-22, 03:20 PM
rsacilotto

Bikes: 1983 Trek 760, 2000 Fuji Team, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TullySteve

BBD Coaters Inc.
Syracuse, New York

Address: 103 Otisco St, Syracuse, NY 13204
Phone: (315) 423-1593

Motobecane Grand Record 1973. Three coat (prime, color, clear). Illusion Copper. Super careful with threads, detail on lugs. Great guys. $150 total (summer 2021)

nice! I'm looking at illusion copper plus for my reno project. Did the end result seem close to the prismatic swatch? Hard to tell exactly what it will look like.
Old 05-20-22, 04:17 PM
TullySteve

Bikes: 1973 Moto Grand Record (project); 1990s Moser Leader AX; 1982(?) Specialized Rockhopper beater city bike.

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rsacilotto
nice! I'm looking at illusion copper plus for my reno project. Did the end result seem close to the prismatic swatch? Hard to tell exactly what it will look like.
Yes, I would say it matched as expected. Never dealt with this powdercoating process. It was crazy, I stopped by after they had only done the color layer, before the clearcoat, and he got my frame to show me. He warned me that without the clear it wouldn't be anything like what I expected. He was right, it was PINK! But he assured me that the final would be like the swatch, and it was. Before and after with new decals applied. I sanded, masked and sprayed the lugs and used a gold paint pen for the lug outlines.

Likes For TullySteve:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.