Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon frustrations - 2nd w/way too much hub tension

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-22, 07:13 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

A couple years ago I found (too late) the hub tension was too much on my Mariner. I was servicing the bike checking the bearings after one of the wheels seemed to have an odd amount of resistance and found the cone races disintegrated and all the grease was silver with the metal flakes (there is a thread about it here somewhere with pictures).

I got my girlfriend a Piazza and am going through it setting it up - same exact thing. The tension in the hubs was insanely high. That was the 1st thing I checked - the wheels were only spun a little bit here inside with no weight on them, just the bike right out of the box, prior to opening up the hubs. The rear races look worn already, but they are not damaged as far as I can tell.

Has anyone else had this problem with Dahons from the factory? I feel its a significant issue. How many people, even decently capable bike mechanics, don't check and end up chewing up otherwise good wheel sets in short order?

Unfortunately, I have to raise my hand to that category of not checking before. Though, I doubt I'll let anything like that slip through again after learning the hard way on my Mariner. The hub that had the chewed up cone races got new cones and balls. The hub races are damaged, also, but I don't feel like building a new wheel up yet. We'll see how long I can keep it going.
Old 04-30-22, 09:57 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
For what it is worth, maybe not a whole lot -

In the process of adjusting the axle I knocked the grease cup out of the hub behind the cogs. This hub has a freewheel system on it and the cassette tool I have (park tool fr-5) does not fit. I ended up tracking down a park tool fr-1.3 freewheel tool today and was able to finally get in there and get things situated.

In the process I found the rear wheel was not centered with the frame. I went to set up and adjust the rear brake and immediately noticed the arms were way sideways so I looked at the wheel with respect to the center of the seat tube and sure enough - it was way off.

I was not able to get the wheel centered with the frame with the stock spacers. I ended up going to the hardware store for some washers. I used 5x grade 8 5/16" flat washers. I filed them down to .0545". The smaller factory spacer was about .273" so with the 5x washers I was able to keep pretty close to the same drop out spacing with a lot more adjustability in the center of the wheel with respect to the frame.

The center of the wheel is still off a bit but it is pretty close compared to where it was. At this point using a truing stand and tweaking the spokes might be the way to go to pull it the rest of the way. That is another tool I need but haven't acquired yet. This would be a reason for it - and building up a new wheel set for my bike trailer idea.