Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bontrager Flare Round Mounting Kit

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-14-22, 09:33 AM
taylorgeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts

This kit comes with ribbed and smooth rubber strap adapters for BOTH bases. Does it matter which rubber adapter I use for mounting to my seatpost?

Old 05-14-22, 09:44 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 364 Posts
The ribbed one is for her pleasure
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 05-14-22, 09:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Is the ribbed one a smaller diameter inside than the other? Looks smaller in the picture.

Maybe intended for mounting on seat stays or a very small diameter seat post. As long as one isn't too tight or too loose then it probably doesn't matter.

Product details

1. Replacement or extra mounts for all Bontrager Flare rear lights
  2. Use to mount Flare lights to seatposts, racks, seatstays, or any other spot
  3. Kit includes Flare light mount, two bases, and rubber strap adapters
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...g-kit/p/21488/

Last edited by Iride01; 05-14-22 at 10:03 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-14-22, 10:02 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
It doesn't "matter" per se, but you'll probably get a better, more uniform clamping force using the gasket that was designed for the seatpost mount, rather than the one for the seatstay mount.
Old 05-14-22, 10:17 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
The ribbed one is for her pleasure
Stole my line.
Old 05-14-22, 10:18 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
I'd use the one that fits.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-14-22, 10:41 AM
taylorgeo

Originally Posted by Iride01
Is the ribbed one a smaller diameter inside than the other? Looks smaller in the picture.

Maybe intended for mounting on seat stays or a very small diameter seat post. As long as one isn't too tight or too loose then it probably doesn't matter.
The larger base has a smooth AND ribbed as well, same diameter. Actually, looks like the ribbed is thicker.

Last edited by taylorgeo; 05-14-22 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-14-22, 10:44 AM
taylorgeo

Originally Posted by Rolla
It doesn't "matter" per se, but you'll probably get a better, more uniform clamping force using the gasket that was designed for the seatpost mount, rather than the one for the seatstay mount.
The seatpost mount has a smooth and ribbed as well. Can't see it in the pic. Just wondering what is the benefit of using the ribbed gasket?
Old 05-14-22, 10:50 AM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgeo
The seatpost mount has a smooth and ribbed as well. Can't see it in the pic. Just wondering what is the benefit of using the ribbed gasket?
Ah, my apologies for misunderstanding your question.

Conceivably the ribbed one it offers more grip, although I don't think there's much difference in practice; IMO, it's more about the length and thickness than the texture.
Old 05-14-22, 10:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Well just try one and go ride.

If you find that the mount gets crooked from vibrations during your ride and you feel it was tight enough, then try the other. Maybe one works best on certain materials, CF, steel, aluminum, painted surfaces with different finishes and etc.

If they gave you more than one rubber strap for the a clamp, then are you certain one isn't to allow for a smaller or wider diameter? Seat posts come in different diameters. I'd tend to think the ribbed was for smaller diameters, but failing no information from Bontrager, anything is a guess. An email to their tech support might get you more than a guess.

Some of the out front mounts that I've used for putting my GPS on my handlebars had several rubber inserts that fit inside each other so you can add or remove them to get the proper size opening to allow the clamp to hold on the handlebar.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-14-22 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-14-22, 10:55 AM
taylorgeo

Originally Posted by Rolla
Ah, my apologies for misunderstanding your question.

Conceivably the ribbed one it offers more grip, although I don't think there's much difference in practice; IMO, it's more about the length and thickness than the texture.
No worries, thanks for your thoughts. Happy riding!
Likes For taylorgeo:
Old 05-14-22, 10:56 AM
taylorgeo

Originally Posted by Iride01
Well just try one and go ride.

If you find that the mount gets crooked from vibrations during your ride and you feel it was tight enough, then try the other. Maybe one works best on certain materials, CF, steel, aluminum, painted surfaces with different finishes and etc.

If they gave you more than one rubber strap for the a clamp, then are you certain one isn't to allow for a smaller or wider diameter? Seat posts come in different diameters. I'd tend to think the ribbed was for smaller diameters, but failing no information from Bontrager, anything is a guess. An email to their tech support might get you more than a guess.

Some of the out front mounts that I've used for putting my GPS on my handlebars had several rubber inserts that fit inside each other so you can add or remove them to get the proper size opening to allow the clamp to hold on the handlebar.
Will do. Thanks for the suggestions. Really appreciate it!
Old 05-14-22, 04:16 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
I really like these little flare lights, but the mount is horrible. The locking point for the light gets very loose and you can lose your light. My wife lost the tail light when she rode over a train track cross point and we could not get it to stay locked in when I got a replacement. Called Trek they sent me a replacement, but it seemed to have the same lose fit. I eventually got a mount that was 3D printed and it was so much more secure, damn pricey, but the light is not cheap, so it was worth it to me. The items I bought mount to the bottom of the Bontrager saddle.

This one allows both the tail light and the Garmin Varia. Worked for me as I run a fairly minimal seat bag as I am running tubless, so I dont need to haul a lot of stuff,
https://www.shapeways.com/product/6E...li=marketplace

And I got this for my wife's bike, this also will allow a gopro on the back if you wanted.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/DE...li=marketplace

This place has a lot of Bontrager specific 3d printed items.

Brian

Old 05-14-22, 04:22 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I really like these little flare lights, but the mount is horrible. The locking point for the light gets very loose and you can lose your light.
Interesting. I've been running a Bont tail light like this for about four years, and haven't had any problems. I wonder if there are different mounts?
Old 05-14-22, 05:08 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by Koyote
Interesting. I've been running a Bont tail light like this for about four years, and haven't had any problems. I wonder if there are different mounts?
Yep I would agree, I had some older mount points and never had this issue. This issue for me, seems to just be on the more current versions, especially on the seat mounting points. There is a small ridge that locks the light into place, and from what I could decipher is that over time as you pull the light off the mount, it seems to round the edge reducing the locking tightness. I sent the one I lost the light on back to Trek to look at.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 05-14-22 at 05:13 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-16-22, 12:44 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Yep I would agree, I had some older mount points and never had this issue. This issue for me, seems to just be on the more current versions, especially on the seat mounting points. There is a small ridge that locks the light into place, and from what I could decipher is that over time as you pull the light off the mount, it seems to round the edge reducing the locking tightness. I sent the one I lost the light on back to Trek to look at.
Interesting as my seat mount that clips into the Trek seat post ....mast ...whatever they call it ...is tight and rock sold. The front mount is getting a little wobbly. I only went that route because I really like the integrated mounts for Bonnie stems and seatposts. Think its very functional and very clean.
Old 05-17-22, 04:43 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
These will make your life a whole lot easier:

Old 05-17-22, 07:37 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
Interesting as my seat mount that clips into the Trek seat post ....mast ...whatever they call it ...is tight and rock sold. The front mount is getting a little wobbly. I only went that route because I really like the integrated mounts for Bonnie stems and seatposts. Think its very functional and very clean.
Yea I have zero issues that this style on my Domane.

The one I have had the most issue with is this one.