Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Am I too fat for this bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-22, 05:14 AM
trickybilly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hello Everyone,
I hope that I post this in the right thread. I am 197 cm high and my weight is 126 kg. I would like to buy this bike:. MTB LEVEL 9.5 CAPRIOLO CRNO PLAVO.
Despite that I am an internist, I live in a poor country, Serbia, so this bike will cost my full monthly salary, therefore I want to make sure everything is fine before buying:
Will this bike resist my weight? According to your mind, are the specifications for this bike good? Can you recommend it?
Best wishes, trickybilly
Old 05-21-22, 05:40 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 1,575 Times in 731 Posts
Welcome!!
I googled your bike and it looks nice. No rider weight listed, but it's an aluminum frame mountain bike with 29" wheels which makes me think this a sturdy bike. There is a section here called Clydesdales/Athenas that is for big riders and they have real experience.

https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/

Maybe reach out to the manufacturer and ask what they list as max weight.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 05-21-22, 06:31 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Welcome trickybilly , I have weighed much more than you when I returned to bikes, now I weigh much less. I can say your current weight is in the realm of almost all decently made bicycles. It is of course how you ride. If crashing about into tree limbs and rough rocky surfaces, jumping up and down curbs and such is your thing just make sure you have bomb proof wheels minimum 32 spoke.
Old 05-21-22, 06:36 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Speaking as a 111kg cyclist who has been heavier and ridden some considerably more delicate seeming equipment than the Capriolo, I agree with BTinNYC that there is probably no need for concern. If it is built with care of quality components, it will be fine for most riding. If the intention is to hit jumps and slam through rocks, more investigation is prudent, but for general fitness riding on road and trail, I would not be concerned.
Old 05-22-22, 09:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Might be. But remember that max weights are probably figured with the rider putting the bike through the worst possible circumstances and riding on the bleeding edge of safe.

If you aren't going ride it as if it's a BMX bike or enter yourself in BMX competitions or short track racing, then you are probably good.

But if you are only going to be riding paved roads and paved trails, you probably will be better served by some other type of bike. Mountain bikes aren't called mountain bikes because they are better to ride up mountain roads on. They are called mountain bikes because like mountain goats, they can go up mountains without roads.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-22-22 at 09:19 AM.