Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 07-18-21, 04:24 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Pills and Ills Update

The robotic-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy (RALP) went well, but very long (over six hours, scheduled for under four).

I’m in no pain and no narcotics, was back at home for a light supper the following day.

Now waiting on pathology reports. It’s already clear that I have wicked aggressive wicked high risk prostate cancer, the outstanding question is it just wicked or wicked wicked.

Did ride some BLUEbikes on the way back from BIDMC last week, but more importantly got out on my own bike the day before. Good for the soul.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 07-18-21, 05:03 AM
Jazzguitar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Today I decided to try out Esterbook rd. At one point it was at a slight incline after crossing a small stream, the road/trail itself was a stream for a few dozen muddy yards. I was particularly pleased to see how I eventually landed just above Carlisle Ctr by the church on the hill. I couldn’t not stop at Ferns for a cold iced coffee! 35 mixed surface miles in all.

I know where that is! There's some fun riding through Estabrook, and it's pretty easy to loop into Great Brook, Russell Mill and Billerica State Forest and more!
Likes For Jazzguitar:
Old 07-18-21, 12:06 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Pills and Ills Update
-mr. bill
Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 07-18-21, 12:08 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I too know where that is. Never ridden it but walked through there many times.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 07-18-21, 06:33 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
I managed to sneak out just before Sunday dinner for 25 rainy miles mostly through Lincoln and Sudbury. Although I was on my fender equipped rain bike I glanced past my Roadrunner Burrito handlebar bag and pretended I was in front of the Pelaton with Van-Aert and Cavendish trying to catch me on the Champs. In reality I was riding past Ponyhenge in Lincoln.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 07-19-21, 09:49 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 872 Posts
Pills and Ills Update

The robotic-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy (RALP) went well, but very long (over six hours, scheduled for under four).

I’m in no pain and no narcotics, was back at home for a light supper the following day.

Now waiting on pathology reports. It’s already clear that I have wicked aggressive wicked high risk prostate cancer, the outstanding question is it just wicked or wicked wicked.

Did ride some BLUEbikes on the way back from BIDMC last week, but more importantly got out on my own bike the day before. Good for the soul.

-mr. bill
Phew! Six hours is a lot of robot-assisted anything! Wishing you a minimum of wickedness.

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 07-19-21, 10:09 PM
rholland1951

Today I decided to try out Esterbook rd. At one point it was at a slight incline after crossing a small stream, the road/trail itself was a stream for a few dozen muddy yards. I was particularly pleased to see how I eventually landed just above Carlisle Ctr by the church on the hill. I couldn’t not stop at Ferns for a cold iced coffee! 35 mixed surface miles in all.

It's a great place to have in the neighborhood. Sounds like it's a little swampy just at the moment.

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 07-19-21, 10:57 PM
rholland1951

Friday morning, I put the Surly Trucker DeLuxe on the hitch rack on the Prius, and drove up to Beverly to pick up my daughter Betsey and her Surly Cross Check. From there we headed up to Rockport, parking near a friend of hers who lives in the Folly Cove neighborhood. It was a hot day, and there were rumors of thunderstorms, maybe, you betcha.

Betsey's friend had just put her baby daughter down for a nap, so we took off on the bikes on the hilly Rte 127 and adjacent roads. Soon enough, we found ourselves riding on the gravel paths of Halibut Point State Park.

Halibut Point is a dandy place to ride, well put together with woods, quarries, and shore vistas in quick alternation.

Betsey explained that seabirds flock to the fresh-water quarries to bathe, ridding their feathers of accumulated salt.

We watched a couple of fishermen, after striped bass, I'm guessing, having a different kind of fun in the swells.

Some of the gravel trails offered a bit more gradient than we were willing to try our luck with that day. No sense ending up in the swells with the bass fishermen.

A map denoting the distant features of one of the shore vistas advised us that there was a whole lot of Crane's Beach across the water opposite.

We rode out of the park, and rambled around the town. Quarry Road had a quarry...

Chapel Lane had a chapel.

We cranked up and whizzed down the plentiful hills of Rte. 127, finding our way back to Betsey's friend's house after stopping for a tasty lunch. Turns out they have a quarry in their back yard, a fine swimming hole. After a quick change into our bathing suits, we jumped right in. Perfect water for the heat of the day. I felt a little like those salty seabirds.

Our departure was endorsed by distant thunder. The rain fell as we headed back down Route 128, well timed and harmless.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 07-20-21 at 11:31 AM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 07-20-21, 07:02 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Pills and Ills Update

-mr. bill
Im hoping the pathology report is promising and you can get back on your bike soon.

Robotic surgery? I think I know the guy who installs and services the da Vinci for intuitive.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 07-20-21, 11:55 PM
rholland1951

Riding more frequently than writing again, file under First World Problems. Here's what's been happening.

On Saturday, I rode East for the usual hills-and-traffic fun.

All went well until a front moving through decided I was too dry, and shared its water with me for the last 40 minutes or so of the ride, as I passed through Malden and Medford, headed West towards Arlington.

There was a pleasing amount of thunder and lightning, very dramatic. I was wet enough, by the end of that.

Sunday involved no bicycles. Monday, however, featured a quick sprint up to Lexington Center and back before dinner. Pleasant, if not novel.

Tuesday brought a bit of dubious novelty, in the form of hot, hazy weather with air that smelled like a neighbor heating with wood, but in fact had blown in on the Jet Stream all the way from Eastern Oregon, a sort of burnt offering on a continental scale. I wore a KN-95 to ride for the first time since the Pfizer shot seemed to lower the Covid stakes of riding barefaced. Figured it was just as well to keep those 2.5 micron particulates out of my lungs while I was cranking up to Depot Park. In consequence, I resembled The Birdman of Arlington.

The smoke and haze were hard to miss. Nevertheless, lots of folks were out walking/running/skating/riding in it. I was glad of the mask, and wondered a bit that I didn't see more in use.

The man with the elaborate bicycle touring rig (bike, trailer, camping gear), who seems to be giving it a series of dry runs before taking it Out Yonder, rode to the little park at Bow Street, Lexington, and repaired to his hammock. Not a bad idea, really.

I can remember when Peepers Pond wasn't choked with duckweed every Summer, but it certainly has been for the last few. The resident family of swans were on maneuvers, and I stopped to watch them.

I came for the swans, but I stayed for the ducks.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 07-23-21 at 07:30 AM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 07-22-21, 08:05 AM
rholland1951

Wednesday, took the Surly Trucker DeLuxe on a fast-for-me sprint up to Lexington Center on the Minuteman before dinner.

The Mile 4.0 Cairn Builders are back, and this time appear to have discovered three-valued logic. Yes, no, or maybe so?

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 07-23-21, 07:06 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
holy cow! what a gorgeous day!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-23-21, 07:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Pills and Ills Update
truly. hang in there. wishing you best
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-23-21, 10:25 PM
rholland1951

If you ride out the Minuteman...

on into Bedford...

and you turn off on Wiggins Avenue...

and the dunderheads don't get you...

and you know where to look...

and you take the little bridge across the Shawsheen River...

and you cross the river...

and you find your way to Page Road...

and you pedal up the hill to Susan Crocker's farm (and don't squish her chickens)...

Then... you get to ride over the hill, and down the other side, on Grove Street, Lexington, maybe topping 34 mph, finding your way to Revere Street, and then back to the Minuteman, where you get to ride home again and make dinner!

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 07-24-21, 07:55 AM
rumrunn6

quiet afternoon Friday on the Assabet Rail Trail North to the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail to Chelmsford, except for the ~3 miles on Route 27 which has a disappearing bike lane

July is a good month to ride the road

at one point I couldn't resist an unpaved side trail, with the road bike & cleated pedals/shoes. turned out OK, was mostly soft mulch

but a cpl exceptions

on 2 occasions I tripped the roadside radar. it matched my bike computer more closely at slow speeds. I think here there was just a 1 mph difference

at a cpl intersections I was reminded of the blind spots that eyeglass mounted mirrors cause. meaning for example, if I have to look to my left, I sometimes have to dip my head down to peer over the mirror

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-24-21 at 08:42 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-24-21, 10:01 PM
rholland1951

Took the Surly Trucker DeLuxe out and rode East.

Before the ride had properly started, I watched a couple of folks on paddleboards playing on the Mystic River like waterbugs.

Central Avenue, Medford, becomes Medford Street, Malden as it crosses the Fellsway. This is the locus of much of the Playing In Traffic component of this ride. Here I sit, waiting for a green light with a dozen of my closest friends.

Speaking of lights, this one at the intersection of Fellsway East and Highland Avenue, Malden, turned red at pretty much exactly the wrong time, interrupting a long, fast descent down Fellsway East. The brakes worked, I'm pleased to say.

Heading West, I bid adieu (with an appropriate mantra, of course) to the Kurukulla Center, and its stupa, for another week.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 07-25-21 at 10:14 AM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 07-25-21, 06:00 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by rholland1951
Speaking of lights, this one at the intersection of Fellsway East and Highland Avenue, Malden, turned red at pretty much exactly the wrong time, interrupting a long, fast descent down Fellsway East. The brakes worked, I'm pleased to say.
hehe, had a similar red light stop on a speedy downgrade. it all timed well enough for me but I was alert to the yellow & applied both brakes. when I finally stopped I saw a police car was 2nd in line on the opposing side. glad I stopped, cuz on rare occasions I haven't. I've resigned myself to be more obedient. it's always nice to make it home again ;-)
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-25-21, 06:32 AM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
... it's always nice to make it home again ;-)
Amen!

rod
Old 07-25-21, 08:29 AM
Ghazmh

In addition to the 2 morning rides I had this week yesterday I had a really nice 63 mile ride with some folks that I met up with in Lincoln. We rode to Sherborn and back on some gorgeous country roads interspersed among the suburbs. Today it was obviously raining, I rode another 30 miles as I pondered my twist on the old adage; To ride or not to ride, there is no question.

Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 07-26-21, 11:14 AM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 235 Posts
I was curious to see what progress had been made hooking up the Somerville Community Path extension to the existing path, so I took an early morning ride today to the turnaround at Lowell St. In fact, the wooden fence is gone and there is now a paved base layer of asphalt connecting the new to the old:

There appears to be provision for lighting also.
This probably won't be open for at least six months, since the opening of the Green Line itself has been pushed back to early 2022, but it is still encouraging.

From there I rode back to Alewife, did the out-and-back on the Fitchburg cutoff, then rode out to Lexington center and back (to East Arlington). It was a pleasant 20 mile before it got too hot.

Speaking of new bike path connections, does anyone know if the Huron Ave underpass connecting the Watertown Cambridge Greenway to Fresh Pond reservation is open yet? It was blocked off the last time I checked, about a month ago.

I also want to mention that all the talk about Estabrook Woods in Concord/Carlisle has me curious, so last Tuesday I explored as far as the three way junction just north of the end of the paved Estabrook Rd. It was a very muddy that day, and I had a time constraint so I turned around there and retraced my (muddy) path on the Reformatory. Later this week I plan to go back and actually ride through Estabrook Woods to Carlisle. I want to see that teepee of tree branches for myself!
Likes For bike_tom:
Old 07-26-21, 10:51 PM
rholland1951

Colorless, odorless, and tasteless would have been a serious improvement on the air we had on Monday afternoon, blown across the continent from the Pacific Northwest, full of particulates, and certified to be unhealthy by the EPA, so I put on a KN-95 mask to keep the particulates out, put a little air in the Surly's Rat Trap Pass Extralights, and rolled out to the Eastern shore of the Mystic Lakes, what's become my shortest standard ride on a hot day.

The Giant Schnauzer was AWOL, but a Giant Flamingo had taken its place.

Distant sails on a slow afternoon.

Launching the kayaks.

Riding a bike in a dam infernal setting.

Crossing the Aberjona as it flows into the Upper Mystic Lake.

The scene at Shannon Beach recalled a beach day on Mars, or perhaps sufferers of the original Delta outbreak crowding into the Ganges to be healed. Only more fun than any of that.

Over the course of the ride, I saw a lot of other cyclists out in the smoky haze.

I'm not looking forward to having to explain the weather to my granddaughter. She's a little young for it right now, but the day will come.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 07-26-21 at 11:00 PM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 07-27-21, 09:48 PM
rholland1951

I managed to get started a bit earlier than usual on Tuesday afternoon, which created some ride opportunities, but not quite as early as I had hoped, which ruled out some options. In the event, I cobbled together a 30-mile route that took the Minuteman as far as Depot Park, Reformatory Branch to Monument Street, wound through Concord Center and picked up Walden Street, followed that across Route 2 and past Walden Pond, then on into Lincoln, following Baker Bridge Road to Sandy Pond Road, then taking that to Trapelo Road, turning Left onto Smith Street, continuing on Spring Street, turning onto Marrett Road and rolling on that to Mass. Ave., turning onto Maple Street to connect with the Minuteman, and home. It was an agreeably hilly route with some points of interest. This snapping turtle contemplating its role as a Minuteman user, for example.

The Mile 4.0 Cairn Builders surprised me with a new reliance of equipoise. Wonder if this survived the storm?

I rode on the Reformatory Branch with some qualms about the trail surface. I've relaxed my former discipline of requiring three days without rain to ride that, but, I wondered ... would there be mud?

Would there be mud? Yes, sometimes...

After reaching Monument Street, largely unaffected by such mud as was encountered, I stopped in Concord Center to visit with the Lamp Lady at Concord Lamp & Shade. She asked if I were going for an X-ray, but I'm used to a certain number of non sequiturs with her. I think it's the epoxy talking.

I continued on Walden Street, crossing Route 2 into the Walden Pond neighborhood... and then I saw what she was talking about. I don't think I got an X-ray, but who knows with colorless, odorless, and tasteless things? An X-ray of the bike's S and S Couplers might be interesting, come to think of it... In any event, add another entry to my Life List of road signs.

Rolling into Lincoln, X-ray status unknown, I had the pleasure of seeing the Gropius House again. Historic New England has resumed their tours there.

Continuing past the Carroll School campus, and enjoying the Baker Bridge Road hills, I turned onto Sandy Pond Road, and then onto the DeCordova Museum grounds. The sculpture park had a mix of older and newer installations. This one, Nam June Paik's Requiem for the 20th Century, which I think I've seen before, startled me by its resemblance to ghost bikes.

This one is an old favorite, and I walked the bike carefully in. I think of it as a funhouse mirror in a different register, or perhaps a mirrored corner at a department store. Anyhow, it's a good way to be in two (or more) places at once, and I couldn't resist.

Soon enough it was time to go, and I found myself on Trapelo Road, riding past the Peace Barn and whizzing down the long, steep hill to cross the Cambridge Reservoir on the causeway and climbing up the hill on the Waltham side, with some more jolly hill riding on Smith Street, Spring Street, and Merritt Road, before rejoining the Minuteman via Mass. Ave and Maple Street. Unfortunately, the Minuteman seems to have been up to its old tricks, and a group to cyclists were clustered around another seated on the ground, the apparent victim of an accident.

This happens far too often. I rode home aware that I was taking too much for granted.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 07-28-21 at 11:18 AM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 07-28-21, 12:46 PM
rumrunn6

To ride or not to ride, there is no question
haha apparently not!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-28-21, 04:53 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by rholland1951
Unfortunately, the Minuteman seems to have been up to its old tricks, and a group to cyclists were clustered around another seated on the ground, the apparent victim of an accident
gee that's too bad. never like seeing that
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-28-21, 07:04 PM
rholland1951

Took the Surly for a fast-for-me sprint on the Minuteman to Lexington Center and back, the basic before-dinner ride. I was making sufficiently good time that I observed some of the behaviors of the speedier trail users; these were occasionally regrettable, particularly one apparent bullying incident by a guy on a pedal-assist e-bike who was crowding a conventional rider who was already executing a pass... and who happened to be a person of color. Not a good look. Whether this was genuine sketchy bigotry, or simply pedal-assisted incompetence, or a bit of both, I couldn't say, but it was unpleasant. That aside, it was a good ride, quick and careful.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 07-28-21 at 08:12 PM.
Likes For rholland1951:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.