Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Chamois creame?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-23, 05:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
I figure there are two interfaces at play here. First, there's the interface between the saddle and the shorts. Second, there's the interface between the shorts and the rider's nethers. You want the first to allow movement between the to parts, and the second you don't. I find that chamois cream does that for me, so I use it on all rides. I used to only use it on long rides, but I found I was more comfortable on the 1-2 hour rides with it than without, so now I just use it all the time. I use Chamois Butt'r because it works and if something works in a situation like this, I'm disinclined to experiment.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-12-23, 08:19 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I bought a tube of Butt Butt'r but didn't realize it was for women when I bought it. Guess I'll have to turn in my man card now. At least anyone drafting me will enjoy my nicer smelling a*s.
Old 01-12-23, 08:23 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I bought a tube of Butt Butt'r but didn't realize it was for women when I bought it. Guess I'll have to turn in my man card now. At least anyone drafting me will enjoy my nicer smelling a*s.
Assos makes a version for women, which I once accidentally ordered. Seemed to work the same as the non-gendered stuff, at least for me.
Old 01-12-23, 07:10 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 131 Posts
My friend in UK has a company called Happy Bottom Bum Butter.
Old 01-13-23, 07:58 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Never used it, never felt I needed it even riding 1000+ km / month in Shanghai's ridiculously hot and humid (i.e. super sweaty) summers. I've got good fitting bibs and a comfortable saddle, and have never had an issue with saddle sores.
Old 01-18-23, 01:25 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Euro style all the way. If your balls aren’t minty, they are busted.
Prefer not to know how one knows his balls are minty.
Old 01-18-23, 02:12 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by drz400
I don't know anyone that uses this stuff. Does it work ? I've never used it.
Yes, it works. I don't use it every time, but anything over an hour it's great.
Old 01-18-23, 05:02 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Just found something called Chafe Safe at the drugstore. It is made by KTTape.
Seems to be a stick like deodorant. If I don't lose it first, I'll try it this summer.
Old 01-18-23, 06:45 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Prefer not to know how one knows his balls are minty.
Euro style has menthol in it. You feel the tingle.
Old 01-30-23, 11:00 AM
markynels

Bikes: CAAD13

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by markynels
Ok I'll admit, I went pretty deep down the rabbit hole after seeing a few posts on chamois creams here today, and elsewhere. Some good insight here, from the archives.

Bontrager's recipe debuted in Outside magazine's August 2007 edition, and consisted of;
  • 13 oz petroleum jelly
  • 1 oz triple antibiotic ointment
  • 1 oz hydrocortisone cream
  • 1 oz lanolin
I placed an order on Amazon a moment ago (Vaseline + Polysporin complete (with lidocaine) + Lansinoh lanolin) which should arrive at my home tomorrow. My wife travels to Spain to meet me at the end of this week at which point I'll finally be able to give Nox a run for its money, first with all-out efforts on Peñas Blancas, followed by Coll de Rates when we travel up the coast to Calpe. Looking at roughly 25hrs in the saddle over those 2 weeks, so I'll be back with what I hope is a conclusive review (if anyone, apart from my behind, care!).
Reporting back on this- I can safely conclude that this mixture (minus hydrocortisone) is infinitely better and longer lasting (>6hrs) than Noxzema, period. Cleans up fine with warm water, too. I'll never go back.
Old 01-30-23, 12:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Reporting back on this- I can safely conclude that this mixture (minus hydrocortisone) is infinitely better and longer lasting (>6hrs) than Noxzema, period. Cleans up fine with warm water, too. I'll never go back.
Interesting, given the myriad hits on google with somewhat involved tips to removing vaseline stains from clothing.
Old 01-30-23, 01:25 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Interesting, given the myriad hits on google with somewhat involved tips to removing vaseline stains from clothing.
And my experiences with kids (and spouse) constantly forgetting to take their chapsticks out of their pants before putting them in the wash. I fish at least one out of the washer or dryer each week. I should probably just be better about checking all their pockets before putting them in the machines.
Old 01-30-23, 05:08 PM
Keefusb
Keefusb

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Once the weather warms up some, I'm going to try adding some 1% hydrocortisone ointment and some triple antibiotic ointment with pramoxine (a mild analgesic) to my can of Bag Balm. I haven't had a saddle sore in many years (knock on wood), but sometimes having that extra bit of anti-inflammatory/anti-biotic/pain killer could make all the difference.
Likes For Keefusb:
Old 01-30-23, 10:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,634 Times in 2,919 Posts
If I am planning a more than 1 hour ride on the trainer, or 3 hour ride outdoors, I always use chamois cream. I find the trainer so uncomfortable, I start moving my position on the seat, as well as standing periodically, to get some relief. A while ago I did a two hour trainer ride and unbeknowlingly bunched up the chamois and on my bike shorts and wore a red crease on one cheek. After using cream no more issues. Same with outdoors.

Old 01-31-23, 07:04 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Found your “dreme creame,” eh?
Likes For chaadster:
Old 01-31-23, 12:09 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
Yeah, you really don't want corticosteroids in your crotch without a good reason and a time limit. They are a great way to bust the immune controls on the local skin flora, particularly fungi, and get yourself a real ugly diaper rash.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-31-23, 12:25 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I got turned onto Bag Balm by a woman long ago. She was stoker on a tandem. So I suppose I smell like an anointed farm animal. Guess I should be worried about who or what that might attract.
Old 01-31-23, 01:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,634 Times in 2,919 Posts
Yeah tandems are much like riding a trainer in that one is pretty well stuck in one position. And buttering one’s bum is even more important when you can’t shift around much in the saddle/seat/backless chair.

Old 01-31-23, 01:52 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14436267914...xoCE_cQAvD_BwE
Old 01-31-23, 02:28 PM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
Chamois cream is expensive if you ride a lot. Noxema did not work for me. It might have even been worse than no cream as it was thin and irritating.

Vaseline makes a gooey mess that is hard to wash off of clothes and the body.

You can make your own butt butter
Wtch hazel.
Coconut oil.
Menthol.
Shey oil.
Lanolin.

I made a three year supply at about 1/10 the the price of butt butter.

Make sure you get the white shey oil as the other stuff stinks like H.

Here go the instructions.

Last edited by cjenrick; 01-31-23 at 02:31 PM.
Likes For cjenrick:
Old 02-06-23, 04:29 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
My butt cheeks do not sweat as there are no sweat glands in this location. My touring buddy would often get saddle soars and it was from going commando with his bike shorts. Over a period of days bacteria would build up in the chamois material and then get into his skin. I wore cotton jocky shorts that I replaced regularly and so no bacteria and no saddle sores.

Cotton has its place and I have no problems with wearing cotton underwear or cotton socks when riding. The upper torso is where I use synthetics as it wicks sweat better and so is cooler. But I had no problems riding thousands of miles with a long sleeve lightweight cotton work shirt. I liked being able to roll up the sleeves to be cooler on a long uphill climb and then to roll them back down for the downgrade. Lycra works nearly as well with a wind shell but by no means better in this situation.
Old 02-06-23, 05:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
My butt cheeks do not sweat as there are no sweat glands in this location. My touring buddy would often get saddle soars and it was from going commando with his bike shorts. Over a period of days bacteria would build up in the chamois material and then get into his skin. I wore cotton jocky shorts that I replaced regularly and so no bacteria and no saddle sores.

Cotton has its place and I have no problems with wearing cotton underwear or cotton socks when riding. The upper torso is where I use synthetics as it wicks sweat better and so is cooler. But I had no problems riding thousands of miles with a long sleeve lightweight cotton work shirt. I liked being able to roll up the sleeves to be cooler on a long uphill climb and then to roll them back down for the downgrade. Lycra works nearly as well with a wind shell but by no means better in this situation.
Two variables in there, and lycra vs cotton is almost certainly NOT that explanation for the saddle sores. It wasn't from going commando in his bike shorts. It was from not changing his bike shorts. Eeeeewww...

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-06-23, 05:40 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
I can scarcely contain the joy I’ve gotten from learning I can use “shey” to make a “creame” for my “soars.” Shammies under my hammy, it’s güd!
Old 02-07-23, 08:14 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Is this one of those "back when the only other traffic on the road was Fred Flinstone" posts? You know they invented soap a while back, and even better detergents since then. I don't doubt that wearing dirty clothes for weeks on end can cause saddle sores, but using these modern inventions regularly (like daily) solves a lot of problems.
Old 02-07-23, 09:18 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Three things that I have found that helps me, two of which I do not often use/ First is just regular baby powder, the second is Noxema. Most of the time I use nothing, good quality shorts that fit well work. The third thing, IME, the fit being tight eliminates the need for either of the first two. I have had shorts/tights that were really nice until they stretched a bit. Even though they did not look, or feel, like they had much wear, when becoming a bit loose they started to cause saddle sores. I believe that was from the looseness allowing them to slip around a bit, friction. The powder or cream would help. Shorts/tights, that keep the tight fit, work fine for me. There is more that comes into play than the pads. I need a saddle that narrows a good bit from where the nose starts, to the front end. Also, shallow sides work better for me. IMO, it is one of those things that take trial and error to get it right.