Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Drive Train Cleaning

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Drive Train Cleaning

Old 02-02-23, 06:59 AM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Drive Train Cleaning

I cleaned my bike yesterday , and in doing so, cleaned the cassette using a brush , and dipping the brush in a degreaser, then cleaning each ring, and same with the rear and front derailleur. I then Cleaned the chain using a degreaser, gave it a good rinse . However, when I run my chain through a cloth, I still get black gunk over the cloth, although the chain is visually clean.

Should the cloth be spotless prior to relubing the chain and derailleur pivots?
Old 02-02-23, 07:12 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy

Mine would be. There should be no oily residues whatsoever on the outside of your chain.
Old 02-02-23, 07:42 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 390 Posts
The last thing you clean will transfer gunk to the first thing you clean, then the gunk will be transferred back to the last thing. The chain will hold a bunch of gunk and remain wet for some time - so it will transfer gunk to all of the clean parts.

I find when using wet lube, I need about 3 cleaning cycles to get all of the gunk off.

Only way to do it in one shot is to pull the chain off and clean all the parts separately. Soak the chain in degreaser - I like to use an old water bottle - soak the chain, shake it up, rinse and repeat a few times.

Oh and, wet lube is the devil. It's a product designed to pick up crap off the road and turn your drivetrain into sandpaper. Wax based lubes make the clean up process a whole bunch easier.
Old 02-02-23, 07:45 AM
Awesomeguy

Originally Posted by smd4
Mine would be. There should be no oily residues whatsoever on the outside of your chain.
what is your cleaning method? I feel like its damn near impossible to get it that clean. Especially if you are not removing the chain and are doing it weekly basis
Old 02-02-23, 07:47 AM
Awesomeguy

So , i've been told to lube the chain routinely. Espcially if you ride like i do , which is 70 miles per week. Should i be removing the chain each time to clean the chain?
Old 02-02-23, 07:54 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
what is your cleaning method? I feel like its damn near impossible to get it that clean. Especially if you are not removing the chain and are doing it weekly basis
As noted you have to remove and clean the chain separately from the cassette and chainrings if you insist on spotlessly clean. Getting the dirt off of the interior surfaces of each link can only be done that way. That said, why is "spotlessly clean" even needed?

Yes, wax lubes are cleaner than wet lube but have to be applied much more frequently and particularly if you get caught in the rain or on wet roads.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 02-02-23, 07:55 AM
Awesomeguy

Originally Posted by smd4
what is you normal cleaning method , if you don't remove the chain?
Old 02-02-23, 08:00 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 404 Posts
Awesomeguy there are volumes on this site written on chain life and chain cleaning, use the search function and any and all chain question will be answered.
Old 02-02-23, 08:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 2,339 Posts
I try not to lube a wet chain. lately I've been using a little low pressure compressed air, here & there to help dry chains & derailleurs

fwiw I started using straw brushes on my chain. you need really skinny ones to get between the narrow links (or pipe cleaners). once you have a clean chain, occasional touchups may not require any liquids

fwiw I've noticed that if I wipe my chain in the direction of the chain, meaning along the length, also as-if I held a cloth stationary while pedaling, that there are spots immediately before & after the link that holds debris. I can only eliminate it by wiping perpendicular to the chain. those "pockets" can make a cleaning cloth show grime even after cleaning. meaning if something is coming off onto the cloth then it's still there on the chain. whether or not it matters, is up to you

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-02-23 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-02-23, 08:38 AM
smd4

what is you normal cleaning method , if you don't remove the chain?
First, I don't soak my chain in lube like some folks here do, dipping it in 40-weight or whatever. I apply it very sparingly, and immediately wipe off the excess. Any oil on the outside of the chain is useless. So my chains aren't very dirty to begin with, and don't pick up a lot of dirt. I do remove my chain for a deep clean. The last time I did so, I put it in a Tupperware container with water and dish detergent and gave it a massive shaking. I used a brush to remove all the dirt and particulate matter I could see. A good degreaser will also work. Then I dry the chain. Reinstall, lube sparingly (I use Triflow), and again, pull the chain through a rag until it's clean. I want the oil on the inside, not the outside.

(An alleged pro mechanic here once challenged me to put my hand on the chain and crank backwards and see how dirty my hand got. Something I had not done, and, truthfully, made me have doubts as to what I would find. I took up his challenge, grasped the lower chain, and pedaled one revolution backwards. My hand was clean).
Old 02-02-23, 08:40 AM
Awesomeguy

Originally Posted by easyupbug
Awesomeguy there are volumes on this site written on chain life and chain cleaning, use the search function and any and all chain question will be answered.
I haven't been able to find what i asked about specifcially, if you can , shoot me a link please
Old 02-02-23, 09:13 AM
LarryMelman

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
OP, you are evidently new to cycling or at least to bike maintenance. I will not comment on what others say they do, because nothing good can come from it.

Here is what I do. I use a locally made lube called "ATB". It is a very thin wet lube. When I can hear the chain, which is about every 300-400 miles, I put the bike in the stand. I wet a rag with mineral spirits and I wipe it down 2-3 passes. Yes the rag is filthy and it goes straight into the trash. Then I put some more mineral spirits into a cup and use a toothbrush and scrub the links, catching the drippings with another rag. Some will get back into the cup and the fluid will turn black, so sometimes I will use a second cup of clean fluid but not always. I pour the used fluid into a bottle and in a few days, the gunk settles out and the remaining fluid can be used again. Anyway, I'll make 2 passes around the chain with the toothbrush, wipe it down, let it dry for a few hours, apply new lube, a drop on each bushing, let it dry a few hours, wipe it down. Is it ever perfectly clean? No. But it's good enough. I get at least 5000 miles on my chains that way.

Last edited by LarryMelman; 02-02-23 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-02-23, 09:21 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 404 Posts
I haven't been able to find what i asked about specifcially, if you can , shoot me a link please
Click on Search in the blue bar above this, then click Advanced Search, then in Search by Keyword click Search Entire Posts and then click Search Titles Only and put Clean Chain in the box and you should get the 142 threads I see there when you search.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 02-02-23, 09:26 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 390 Posts
So , i've been told to lube the chain routinely. Espcially if you ride like i do , which is 70 miles per week. Should i be removing the chain each time to clean the chain?
Wet lube/dry lube - you will hear people that prefer both.

For me, with dry lube and riding 150 miles per week, the chain gets wiped down, sometimes with soapy water, and re lubed 2x per month +/-. My current chain has 3500+/- miles on it and has never been off the bike & the driveline stays very clean.

Wet lube, if you want squeaky clean - the chain will have to come off more often.
Old 02-02-23, 09:32 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Yes, wax lubes are cleaner than wet lube but have to be applied much more frequently and particularly if you get caught in the rain or on wet roads.
As to the “much more frequent” application, that has not been my experience. Wax based lubricants last around 700 miles which is similar to what oil based lubricants last. As for rain, you should refresh any lubricant after rain. Oil doesn’t keep the water from the internals of the chain but it does mask the sound that any rusting that occurs would make.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-02-23, 09:51 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I cleaned my bike yesterday , and in doing so, cleaned the cassette using a brush , and dipping the brush in a degreaser, then cleaning each ring, and same with the rear and front derailleur. I then Cleaned the chain using a degreaser, gave it a good rinse . However, when I run my chain through a cloth, I still get black gunk over the cloth, although the chain is visually clean.

Don’t use oil. It’s as simple as that. Lots of people say to keep the oil off the outside of the chain but oil flows which makes keeping it from flowing to the outside of the chain nearly impossible. If you don’t want to clean your drivetrain all the time, avoid using oil.

These are pictures of what my drivetrain looks like all the time. I clean the chain once when I install it and don’t clean it again until I dispose of it. Along with sealed bearings everywhere, I do so little maintenance on the 14 bikes in my garage (my 9, my wife’s 4 and my daughters one) that I have to volunteer to fix bikes.

IMG_1155 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
2013-07-26 08.06.29 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-02-23, 09:54 AM
Awesomeguy

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Don’t use oil. It’s as simple as that. Lots of people say to keep the oil off the outside of the chain but oil flows which makes keeping it from flowing to the outside of the chain nearly impossible. If you don’t want to clean your drivetrain all the time, avoid using oil.

These are pictures of what my drivetrain looks like all the time. I clean the chain once when I install it and don’t clean it again until I dispose of it. Along with sealed bearings everywhere, I do so little maintenance on the 14 bikes in my garage (my 9, my wife’s 4 and my daughters one) that I have to volunteer to fix bikes.

IMG_1155 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
2013-07-26 08.06.29 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
I own only one bike. Part of the reason, i don't want n+1, is because I like to keep my bikes in clean condition and the drivetrain to shift and run smooth and quiet. 14 bikes is impressive lol. Be hard to look after.
Old 02-02-23, 10:24 AM
cyccommute 

I own only one bike. Part of the reason, i don't want n+1, is because I like to keep my bikes in clean condition and the drivetrain to shift and run smooth and quiet. 14 bikes is impressive lol. Be hard to look after.
It’s no harder to look after 14 bikes than it is to look after one. Bicycles don’t need as much cleaning and fiddling as many people think they do. As I said, I do almost zero maintenance on all those bikes because they don’t need it. I don’t really even wash them unless they are particularly dirty…and, for me, that’s very, very dirty. To my way of thinking this is a very sad bike.

This is a very happy bike.

IMG_1248 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Dirt and mud and road grime are just patina that mean the bike gets used.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-02-23, 11:37 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 1,921 Times in 1,205 Posts
Chain lube is a question of religion. FWIW, I don't belong to the Church of Surgical Cleanliness.

I generally use a "wet lube" aka oil. Wipe the chain down, oil it, wipe excess off. Repeat the wiping after the next ride. It usually lasts me 500 miles or more until the chain starts squeaking -- then it's time for re-lube.

My experience with wax has not been so salutary as some others'. I needed to re-wax after every rainy ride, and preferably when I got home, or the chain would rust. If I made a about 250 miles without rain, the chain would squeak, and I'd have to re-wax.

So pick your favorite, try it, see how it works. If you don't like it, change your routine.
Old 02-02-23, 12:36 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Oh and, wet lube is the devil. It's a product designed to pick up crap off the road and turn your drivetrain into sandpaper.
"Sandpaper" is a little harsh. Oil-based lubes, both wet and dry, are tacky (i.e., somewhat adhesive) and retain grit, sand, and other road debris, forming a fine grinding slurry; those who sharpen their own kitchen knives would know what I am referring to. The wet lubes just do this to a greater extent than the dry ones. In my limited experience, a waxed chain (via hot melt immersion wax) is the least tacky to the touch, compared to Muc Off Ceramic Dry, Rock N Roll Gold, Boeshield T-9, and Rock N Roll Blue. I have not tried any drip wax.

However, a waxed chain may be noisier than a chain lubricated with oil. I surmise that is because paraffin is solid, while oil stays liquid. In every waxed chain thread one or more people complain that a waxed chain does not stay lubricated as long as an oil-based chain. Assuming that the wax was properly applied (i.e., sufficiently degreased and dried beforehand), and the waxed chain is not used on a wet ride, to the extent that these complaints are purely based on sound, they may not be valid.

Now, of course, drivetrain cleanliness, longevity, and efficiency are not the be all and end all of cycling, so whatever!
Old 02-07-23, 04:04 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
If cleaning is more therapy than chore for you, you'll want to remove the chain for a deep clean (eg, ultrasonic soak). If you don't want to remove the chain for deep cleaning then you'll need a chain cleaner tool, and even so it may not come out surgical clean if the rest of your drivetrain is still dirty (cassette, chainrings). The most "scalable" cleaning method in my opinion is the GCN 5-minute bike cleaning drill. That assumes you have access to an outdoor hose and you're not the OCD type.
Old 02-07-23, 07:03 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 376 Posts
My method. Never clean the chain. Keep it lubed and ride until it's worn out. Then you clean the chainrings, cogs and derailleurs and install a new chain.
Old 02-07-23, 08:21 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 1,921 Times in 1,205 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
My method. Never clean the chain. Keep it lubed and ride until it's worn out. Then you clean the chainrings, cogs and derailleurs and install a new chain.
Much the same here, although I'll wipe the chain off after lubing and after the next ride after re-lube. My chains seem to last as long that way as any other regime I've tried -- and I've tried a lot of them!
Old 02-08-23, 08:14 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by gearbasher
For anyone reading who truly appreciates bikes, I would avoid this technique.
Old 02-08-23, 08:24 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Years ago, I would remove the chain (Wipperman Connex links make that easy to do). Shake in a plastic bottle 1/4 full of mineral spirits. Wipe down with a rag. Let it dry out for a day. Hang it up and relube, then wipe off the surface. I would get 3500 miles approx, with minimal wear/"stretch".

Now, it stays on the bike. I wipe off the chain with a rag dampened with mineral spirits, then relube. spin the crank a few times, wait a bit, then wipe off the outside completely.
It still lasts 3500 miles!

This shows black residue at the first ride, and the cassette isn't clean looking -- I do fold a paper towel or rag and do a simple cleaning with mineral spirits occasionally. Chainrings are easy to wipe down, so I do them quite often.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.