Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

In search of Handlebars with round flat area

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-18-23, 09:51 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts

I'm having trouble finding an aluminum drop handlebar (44) with the flat grip area perfectly round. My aerobar set up is a little different, as I set it wide, actually using parts from a couple different Profile Design aerobars. Bottom line, I need a perfectly round bar for at least 4 inches(10 cm) on each side of center. All bars that I seem to find available have a flare on the flats. So I either have to find a bar like previously stated, or have a custom bracket made by a local shop (if possible).
Old 01-18-23, 11:26 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I"m not seeing your issue. Regular aluminum drop handlebars run out that 8" inches as a round tube. I just took a quick look at my ordinary probably Nitto or SR bars. They are narrow and the bend starts just outside that 8" but the same bar in a 44 width would be straight there. (When you say "flat grip area" I am assuming you mean the straight portion that many call "the tops", before the bars starts curving forward toward the brake hoods, then down to the drops.)
Old 01-18-23, 07:03 PM
gif4445

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I"m not seeing your issue. Regular aluminum drop handlebars run out that 8" inches as a round tube. I just took a quick look at my ordinary probably Nitto or SR bars. They are narrow and the bend starts just outside that 8" but the same bar in a 44 width would be straight there. (When you say "flat grip area" I am assuming you mean the straight portion that many call "the tops", before the bars starts curving forward toward the brake hoods, then down to the drops.)
My issue is finding such a bar. Everyone I have looked at, that is available and not on backorder or what have you, has a flared top.
Old 01-18-23, 07:16 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
A bar that doesnt have a flat section, wants to be round on either side of the clamp area. Maybe a Ritchey Classic

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...9&category=721
Old 01-18-23, 07:22 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
An idea- try calling Citybikes in Portland. Last time I was in I seem to recall some new handlebars. They are small and very local so they are probably are unwilling to ship them and it wouldn't be cheap but if you said you were turned on to them by a customer of theirs for 20+ years whose spent a lot their, maybe they'll have an idea or source. (citybikes portland brings them up as almost the first hit on Duck-Duck.)

It didn't occur to me that you might have trouble finding what I consider so ordinary but I have spent the past 15 years stashing those HBs I like (bends and width) so what's available matters little to me.
Old 01-18-23, 11:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
You need bars that are round on the tops? That describes most every bar before 2010 and 70% of em made since.

Soma Hwy1.

Deda, nitto, ritchey, zipp, Salsa, fsa, 3t, Thomson, and more.
And this doesn't even include all the standard round top drop bars that are generic/private label from the common brands. Giant, Bontrager, C4, etc.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-19-23, 03:35 AM
gif4445

Originally Posted by Steve B.
A bar that doesnt have a flat section, wants to be round on either side of the clamp area. Maybe a Ritchey Classic

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...9&category=721
The other challenge when looking online is the ability to tell from the photos of the handlebar, whether the top area is round. Some sources conveniently allow questions to be posted concerning their products and others don't. Last week I had a couple bars identified that appeared to fit the bill, but previous customers told me each bar had a flared top.
Old 01-19-23, 03:50 AM
gif4445

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You need bars that are round on the tops? That describes most every bar before 2010 and 70% of em made since.

Soma Hwy1.

Deda, nitto, ritchey, zipp, Salsa, fsa, 3t, Thomson, and more.
And this doesn't even include all the standard round top drop bars that are generic/private label from the common brands. Giant, Bontrager, C4, etc.
Of the sources I have looked through, and they include most of those you identified, I have not found one available. As I previously posted, it is not easy to see from online photos if the top is round and most online sources do not make it easy to check such. I've been looking for one on my own for a good spell, plus a lengthy session with my LBS guy on his computer looking. Nothing yet. While it may sound easy to find, I have not found that to be the case. If you do find one specifically fitting the bill, please post a link here.
Old 01-19-23, 08:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
Of the sources I have looked through, and they include most of those you identified, I have not found one available. As I previously posted, it is not easy to see from online photos if the top is round and most online sources do not make it easy to check such. I've been looking for one on my own for a good spell, plus a lengthy session with my LBS guy on his computer looking. Nothing yet. While it may sound easy to find, I have not found that to be the case. If you do find one specifically fitting the bill, please post a link here.
So do you want the same 31.8mm diameter for 10 inches across the middle of the bar? Most bars taper from 31.8mm at the center clamp down to 23.8mm for the ramps, hooks, and drops. Are you wanting 31.8mm all the way across the tops? I cant tell if what you call 'flare' is really just the taper that is normal for most all bars.
If you want 31.8mm all the way across the top, consider this in the round option(there are 3 options)- https://www.bikethomson.com/product/alloy-drop-bars/
If you just mean you dont want the tops to rise or cant towards/away from the rider and instead you want bars that are straight, then consider Zipp Service Course bars. They come in multiple bends and widths. Here is just one example- https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...gaAsq6EALw_wcB
Old 01-22-23, 05:57 AM
gif4445

So do you want the same 31.8mm diameter for 10 inches across the middle of the bar? Most bars taper from 31.8mm at the center clamp down to 23.8mm for the ramps, hooks, and drops. Are you wanting 31.8mm all the way across the tops? I cant tell if what you call 'flare' is really just the taper that is normal for most all bars.
If you want 31.8mm all the way across the top, consider this in the round option(there are 3 options)- https://www.bikethomson.com/product/alloy-drop-bars/
If you just mean you dont want the tops to rise or cant towards/away from the rider and instead you want bars that are straight, then consider Zipp Service Course bars. They come in multiple bends and widths. Here is just one example- https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...gaAsq6EALw_wcB
For my aerobar attachment sites, I need 31.8mm across for the middle for at least 8 inches. The bars I have seen in my searches have an insufficient length of truly round 31.8mm diameter, but instead an oblong flat or top area (for aerodynamic or ergonomic reasons I suppose) that begins a couple inches +/- outside center. The Zipp bar you presented looks to be one example. The Thomson bar looked like the correct choice, but reading through the FAQ, it says that there is only a 90mm center area that is safe for clamping accessories. IDK, maybe the bar that is on my gravel bike (A Diverge that is setup like I'm wanting to do this bike, a Roubaix) has that limitation also and was never brought to my attention. Or are they strictly talking about their carbon handlebars here? Not really clear on that.

Last edited by gif4445; 01-22-23 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-22-23, 06:46 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
For my aerobar attachment sites, I need 31.8mm across for the middle for at least 8 inches. The bars I have seen in my searches have an insufficient length of truly round 31.8mm diameter, but instead an oblong flat or top area (for aerodynamic or ergonomic reasons I suppose) that begins a couple inches +/- outside center. The Zipp bar you presented looks to be one example. The Thomson bar looked like the correct choice, but reading through the FAQ, it says that there is only a 90mm center area that is safe for clamping accessories. IDK, maybe the bar that is on my gravel bike (A Diverge that is setup like I'm wanting to do this bike, a Roubaix) has that limitation also and was never brought to my attention. Or are they strictly talking about their carbon handlebars here? Not really clear on that.
https://ritcheylogic.com/bike/handlebars
Old 02-05-23, 11:50 AM
gif4445

I just ordered the thomson bar. Hoping that's the ticket!