Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1984 Motobecane Jubilee Sport I found today

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-23, 12:31 AM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 79 Posts

All it took was a 20 minute walk through the woods over some crunchy leaves and a log across the creek to get this beautiful, internally (inexternal, in Motobecane speak) lugged Columbus CrMo-framed 1984 Motobecane Jubilee Sport in my size (21"/54 cm) for $60. It was appropriately listed on FB Marketplace as "Bicycle Project." It didn't come with a seat so I found a use for the Specialized Riva saddle I bought a while back. 30 minutes of bike repair later, I rode it home! What a gentle and smooth ride.

I did adjust the saddle height up for my height (5'10") at home. I realized I had brought allen keys in my backpack so I could have adjusted the height when I got it (duh!). My next plans are to add a kickstand, new decals, and rack, as well as to repack all the bearings, especially in the infamous Maillard Helicomatic rear hub. I was honestly delighted to learn I could repack the bearings without removing the freewheel.

Bike before purchase

Initial view closeup

After installing Riva saddle

Inexternal CrMo tubes

Close up of Columbus decal
Old 02-05-23, 10:47 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 3,331 Times in 2,173 Posts
-----

thank you for sharing this interesting find

enjoy the colour

great that it is just late enough not to have received the tiger stripe transfers/paint

1984 would be about the end for the topmount shifters

you will be able to read a confirmation date on the backside of the Weinmann 605 calipers -

-----
Old 02-05-23, 11:19 AM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

thank you for sharing this interesting find

enjoy the colour

great that it is just late enough not to have received the tiger stripe transfers/paint

1984 would be about the end for the topmount shifters

you will be able to read a confirmation date on the backside of the Weinmann 605 calipers -

-----
You are very welcome! I will have to look up those tiger stripe transfers. Do you mean the decal with stripes near the bottom of the downtube?

I will look for a date on the back of the Weinmann calipers, thanks!
Old 02-05-23, 11:44 AM
molleraj

Hmmm, somehow the head badge was knocked clean off. No idea how that happened. I just see the rivets in the head tube.
Old 02-05-23, 11:53 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Cool find.
Re those tiger stripes: for as much panache as most Motos have, I never understood that mis-step. I ordered a ‘78 Team Champion sight unseen, and about swooned when I unpacked it and saw those stripes. Then a huge sigh of relief when I discovered it was a sticker and easily removed.
Likes For due ruote: