Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where to Find Carbon RISER (3"-5") Handlebars?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-23, 02:23 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

The only ones I find are MTB with slight rise. Anybody know if these are even made as my needs and desires seem to always be deviated from the norm...
Thx in advance!
Old 02-05-23, 04:31 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
3"-5" rise would be into BMX territory. You need a BMX shop.

Dan's Comp BMX - Race Parts - Carbon Handlebars
most of these are going to be 22.2mm and due to their intended use, probably low weight rated.

Why carbon mid-rise? Aluminum can be pretty light, and (thin-wall) steel bars can be fairly compliant.
Old 02-05-23, 05:35 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
3"-5" rise would be into BMX territory. You need a BMX shop.

Dan's Comp BMX - Race Parts - Carbon Handlebars
most of these are going to be 22.2mm and due to their intended use, probably low weight rated.

Why carbon mid-rise? Aluminum can be pretty light, and (thin-wall) steel bars can be fairly compliant.
Thank you. It was suggested by someone here that I could reduce road vibrations on a particular bike I was using. I have carbon drop bars on my roadies and a carbon flat bar on my utility bike and I do feel a difference.
I'm may also incorporate a redfield shock absorbing stem...
Old 02-05-23, 08:10 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelm101
Thank you. It was suggested by someone here that I could reduce road vibrations on a particular bike I was using. I have carbon drop bars on my roadies and a carbon flat bar on my utility bike and I do feel a difference.
I'm may also incorporate a redfield shock absorbing stem...
If you go to an MTB or BMX style metal handlebar you can get some 'thick' rubber-coated grips that will do a nice job of attenuating all those little road vibrations similar to what a carbon-fiber bar is supposed to do.
Old 02-05-23, 09:04 PM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by skidder
If you go to an MTB or BMX style metal handlebar you can get some 'thick' rubber-coated grips that will do a nice job of attenuating all those little road vibrations similar to what a carbon-fiber bar is supposed to do.
Thx! I'm an Ergon fan and use their GP3 - GP5 grips on all my flat bars. I think they may have similar shock-absorbing characteristics...
Old 02-06-23, 08:46 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
TBH, not a huge fan of the Ergon -style "paddle" grip shape, or a grip that uses big flat "pads" for cushioning

Coming from BMX/MTB, I used old -school gummy "waffle" grips like the classic OURY for years , until I got a set of the PNW Loam grips for a build last year;
They have a really nice shape; especially the thicker XL size, and the ribbed pattern provides a surprising amount of cushion/damping, and still has a good control feel.
(Bonus: that come in about a dozen colors, if that's your thing)

Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 02-06-23, 10:06 AM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
TBH, not a huge fan of the Ergon -style "paddle" grip shape, or a grip that uses big flat "pads" for cushioning

Coming from BMX/MTB, I used old -school gummy "waffle" grips like the classic OURY for years , until I got a set of the PNW Loam grips for a build last year;
They have a really nice shape; especially the thicker XL size, and the ribbed pattern provides a surprising amount of cushion/damping, and still has a good control feel.
(Bonus: that come in about a dozen colors, if that's your thing)
I also came from MX, BMX and MTB and always insisted on Oakley IIs on all my bikes! I would still love that style of flat bar grip for aggressive riding, but things have changed since a terrible car crash.
I went to the Ergon "flat" style back in 2016 when I developed hand issues and the GP3-GP5 (with bar ends) gives me the added hand positions.
Likes For michaelm101:
Old 02-06-23, 12:37 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,877 Times in 1,080 Posts

another grip to consider if you like the PNW Loam and similar - ODI Elite Pro lock-on grip

they have a slightly eccentric / offset shape with raised cushioned surface for your palms and waffle pattern on backside for increased grip
Old 02-06-23, 12:41 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,877 Times in 1,080 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelm101
The only ones I find are MTB with slight rise. Anybody know if these are even made as my needs and desires seem to always be deviated from the norm...
Thx in advance!
also consider a stem with increased rise
Old 02-06-23, 09:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Ergons are the way to go. Those people saying use other grips, don't listen, Ergons are the best for a reason. I would look at a Redshift Shockstop stem or if you want the best performance get a Kinekt Stem which uses springs and while not as good looking works a lot better.
Old 02-06-23, 09:43 PM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by t2p
also consider a stem with increased rise
btdt
Old 02-08-23, 03:34 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)