Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ordered a Chinese frame?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-07-23, 08:09 AM
drz400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

I would really like to hear from anyone who has assembled and put a few thousand miles on one. After a quick search noticed that there is a plethora of Chineese frames for sale. I would like to hear from anyone that has one in their stable. They are even selling knock offs like Chinarello's etc. I'm sure they are not top of the bin warrantied products. I just wondered has anyone had any experience and which companies they think are better ?
Old 01-07-23, 08:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts

this GT brand bike has been quite durable
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-07-23, 09:09 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Trace Velo and a ton more on youtube. Personally I'd stick to more legit chinese brands like Winspace, trifox, Yoeleo, ican, elves,, rather than knockoffs or completely unbranded stuff. I'm running chinese superteam carbon wheels for what it is worth.
Likes For Canker:
Old 01-07-23, 09:33 AM
pipeliner

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
Tons of info on Carbonda frames at ridinggravel.com . There is a bunch of them is service with some pretty serious riders so I wouldn't be afraid of one at all.
I built a Carbonspeed fat bike a couple years ago that I've ridden quite a bit on some fairly rough terrain and I am a Clyde. It has been very good so far...
Nextie, Carbonda, Winspace are all good frames. You can watch Hambini on Youtube if he has examined a brand you are considering.
Likes For pipeliner:
Old 01-07-23, 09:35 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Flyxii road carbon, purchased and built about 5 years ago, so about 7,000 miles on it. Paid $358 shipped, which took less then a week.

It's not a light frame, I think in the 1500+ gram range with fork. It built up into a 17.5 lbs bike though, which is good enough for me and I'm a clyde. I ended up putting Di2 on it, which is wonderful. No issues with the build, it all went together as expected. Easy to add Di2, it's a BSA b-bracket frame (Only type I will buy) so easy to get cables run.

Last edited by Steve B.; 01-07-23 at 09:50 AM.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-07-23, 09:42 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
I bought a Yoeleo R12 in July. I was impressed with the quality and ordered another one with special order pearl white, soon after. Both have been great. They include an extra rear derailleur hanger a computer mount and some seat rail clamp parts, in addition to integrated bars and a seatpost. Headset top cap shims might be needed. Standard 1-1/8" shims will work. They have good paint jobs and more color options than most brands. I just went further into their website and see that they wised up and raised the price on the R12 from $1215 to $1590. With seatpost and integrated bar/stem it's still a good deal. On the downside, there's only two colors listed and the custom paint option is no longer offered. There were a lot more color options when i bought. The warranty period has been increased from 3 to 6 years.

https://www.yoeleobike.com/

Last edited by DaveSSS; 01-07-23 at 04:16 PM.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 01-07-23, 11:57 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4250 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
Just FYI those fake branded frames are not from a third shift or something like that, they are fakes and knockoffs entirely. If you want a Pinarello, get a Pinarello, don't buy a fake one and even worse don't have decals and badging calling it a Pinarello. If you need a generic bike get a generic bike but fake badging to give it fake prestige is silly.

Habanero cycles I believe are from China but the owner, Mark actually has a relationship with one of the factories doing Titanium so it is less of a generic thing and more of a here is what I want and they build it and he inspects them when they come back over and supports them should you have an issue.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-07-23, 12:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
This member talks about a steel frame he bought off of AliExpress about two years ago...

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...na-anyone.html

Pictures too.

You can get some great stuff, and you can get crap from there just like you can anywhere else.
Old 01-07-23, 12:12 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
Not me
Old 01-07-23, 07:08 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
I think a lot of folks bought a Chinese frame without realizing they bought a Chinese frame.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 01-07-23, 07:24 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Just FYI those fake branded frames are not from a third shift or something like that, they are fakes and knockoffs entirely. If you want a Pinarello, get a Pinarello, don't buy a fake one and even worse don't have decals and badging calling it a Pinarello. If you need a generic bike get a generic bike but fake badging to give it fake prestige is silly.

Habanero cycles I believe are from China but the owner, Mark actually has a relationship with one of the factories doing Titanium so it is less of a generic thing and more of a here is what I want and they build it and he inspects them when they come back over and supports them should you have an issue.
Not completely accurate. Many are frames from a manufacturer that builds frames is all. Nothing fake about them and many are not branded as anything other than what the manufacturer sells it as. Some do not purport to be a Trek or Giant or Pinarello, they are simply frames available to the public. Mine is a knockoff of no other bike, its simply a frame that Flyxii makes. My 7,000 miles shows there's nothing wrong with it and thats generally the experience of most folks who buy these frames. Can you find some branded as a Trek ?, or whatever, I guess. I've never actually seen a website that sells obvious fakes, though I assume they exist.

Last edited by Steve B.; 01-07-23 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-07-23, 07:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Complete BS. Many are frames from a manufacturer that builds frames is all. Nothing fake about them and many are not branded as anything other than what the manufacturer sells it as.. Some do not purport to be a Trek or Giant or Pinarello, they are simply frames available to the public. Mine is a knockoff of no other bike, its simply a frame that Flyxii makes. My 7,000 miles shows there's nothing wrong with it and thats generally the experience of most folks who buy these frames.
What is B.S.? Explain please? I was talking about frames branded as say Pinarello that are not Pinarellos. I was not talking about generic frames like yours.
Old 01-07-23, 07:33 PM
Steve B.

What is B.S.? Explain please? I was talking about frames branded as say Pinarello that are not Pinarellos. I was not talking about generic frames like yours.
I edited my post, decided BS was poorly phrased.
Old 01-07-23, 07:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I edited my post, decided BS was poorly phrased.
Fair dinkum I guess but yes the fakes do exist, there was someone that had a fake Pinarello and was so proud of it but kept claiming "but I tell people it is fake". I have seen them in the wild as well but don't look to find them for sale I will let the big companies do that since I am not getting paid. Generic stuff is fine if people want that, not my choice but not really a problem unless of poor quality.
Old 01-07-23, 08:02 PM
Steve B.

Fair dinkum I guess but yes the fakes do exist, there was someone that had a fake Pinarello and was so proud of it but kept claiming "but I tell people it is fake". I have seen them in the wild as well but don't look to find them for sale I will let the big companies do that since I am not getting paid. Generic stuff is fine if people want that, not my choice but not really a problem unless of poor quality.
A Habernaro is on my "next bike to buy" list.
Old 01-07-23, 08:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

A Habernaro is on my "next bike to buy" list.
Mark is a nice guy to work with totally down the vibe of the bike old school 26 hardtail linear pull brakes all that stuff. Really fun to talk to almost sad I just sold the bike to a friend but I really wasn't riding as much and have other projects I am looking to do but it was cool.
Old 01-07-23, 08:27 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
I have an ICAN fat bike. It has been a stalwart performer. Same for the ICAN wheels on it. Two full seasons on it and no issues with the frame, and the wheels are still true.

Those wheels are the reason I have been moving to carbon fiber wheels for all my bikes.

I am well into the Clydesdale category and I have tried to break both the frame and wheels. As soon as I am medically cleared to ride again the ICAN will be the first bike I ride.
Old 01-07-23, 08:31 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Last frame I bought was made in the USA !!
Likes For martianone:
Old 01-08-23, 09:27 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
I think if I were to buy a Chinese branded carbon frame I’d see what Hambini has to say about the brand/frame I liked
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 01-08-23, 10:17 AM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 91 Posts
[QUOTE=DaveSSS;22760829]I bought a Yoeleo R12 in July…….”[QUOTE]

I also bought the R12 frame a few months after you but still haven’t built it up. I also bought Chinese Winspace Hyper wheels for it. I read numerous online reviews for both and watched all the Youtube videos for both before making my decisions. I bought the mechanical 11-sp Ultegra groupset for it but may get an 11-sp Di2 groupset instead. I really need to find some time to start building it!

Which groupset or components did you put on yours?
Old 01-08-23, 11:09 AM
Steve B.

[QUOTE=momoman;22761969][QUOTE=DaveSSS;22760829]I bought a Yoeleo R12 in July…….”

I also bought the R12 frame a few months after you but still haven’t built it up. I also bought Chinese Winspace Hyper wheels for it. I read numerous online reviews for both and watched all the Youtube videos for both before making my decisions. I bought the mechanical 11-sp Ultegra groupset for it but may get an 11-sp Di2 groupset instead. I really need to find some time to start building it!

On my Flxii I originally installed a 105 mechanical 11 spd. with rim brakes. A year or so later I purchased the basic Ultegra Di2 upgrade kit, that had the shifters, F & R derailers, battery, & charger, A and B tube junction boxes and wires. I added the battery shim. The Di2 works perfectly with the 105 crank, cassette and chain as well as no issues with braking on the 105 brakes. I got a deal for the Di2 at around $850. Those prices will never be seen again.
Old 01-08-23, 12:29 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
[QUOTE=momoman;22761969][QUOTE=DaveSSS;22760829]I bought a Yoeleo R12 in July…….”

I switched to SRAM Force AXS on all of my bikes 2-1/2 years ago. Very happy with SRAM electronic shifting.
Old 01-08-23, 12:40 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 953 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I think if I were to buy a Chinese branded carbon frame I’d see what Hambini has to say about the brand/frame I liked
Hambini rates the Winspace and Trifox frames very highly. In fact I seem to recall he rated them second only to Time. Likewise Winspace and Farsport wheels. Hambini gave them all very good reviews.
Old 01-08-23, 12:42 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,244 Times in 717 Posts
I understood what you meant, but that is not really what this thread is about. This thread is about frames made in China, sold as such, and not being misrepresented as a name brand.
Old 01-08-23, 12:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by phughes
I understood what you meant, but that is not really what this thread is about. This thread is about frames made in China, sold as such, and not being misrepresented as a name brand.
They were mentioned in the original post.
Likes For veganbikes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.