Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Weight Training Discussion/Workouts

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Weight Training Discussion/Workouts

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-14, 10:23 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Cyclists have no idea what regular workout shorts look like. Oy.
Originally Posted by mike868y
you guys jump roping is ****ing hard. my heart rate hasn't been that high in months.
Old 11-21-14, 12:30 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,656 Posts
bro,

Old 11-27-14, 02:51 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Here are shots from two gym sessions (days) in one video - (to be turned in for PE credit). The first part of the video was more when working toward the heavy weights and not always doing full range of motion, just focus on hard force. That 1,000lb leg press was done the following week and I don't have video.

The 2nd video segment was shot yesterday. It is like a typically a gym day (3X a week) that will also have 20 miles of riding on it. Last month during the heavy weight build time there was no riding on gym days.

https://vimeo.com/113033767

Last edited by Doge; 11-27-14 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-28-14, 02:14 AM
Dutch Jazz

Bikes: Batavus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks pretty hard Doge. Why, if I may ask, do they have him do those leg presses with very limited range of motion?

I've always been told to complete exercises in a full range of motion, because it is paramount to prevent injury to connective tissue, muscle, and joint capsules.

He looks super strong though, so kudos on him.
Old 11-28-14, 08:08 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
mmmmm. I thought cameras were generally frowned upon in the gym! especially filming the one young boy in there!
Old 11-28-14, 08:26 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
mmmmm. I thought cameras were generally frowned upon in the gym! especially filming the one young boy in there!
Depends on how it is being used.

And doge, you have to get your son's leg press to ice a little more. Not deep but imagine the angle that the leg ends up in at the top of a pedal stroke and recreate that in a leg press.
Old 11-28-14, 08:38 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by Dutch Jazz
Looks pretty hard Doge. Why, if I may ask, do they have him do those leg presses with very limited range of motion?

I've always been told to complete exercises in a full range of motion, because it is paramount to prevent injury to connective tissue, muscle, and joint capsules.

He looks super strong though, so kudos on him.
I mentioned that above in a post ...No absolutes being claimed.

Its more "nerve system training". I've been aware of this concept about a decade that Marv Marinovich introduced, but just recently seen it applied (on me and both my kids and teammates). The muscle really doesn't grow all that much. But the force one can apply goes way up. It is similar to how a new lifter can increase their weight in a short period, while an experienced lifter gets smaller incremental gains. Internet search on Marv Marinovich and nerve system training. The hitting the huge force is causing you muscle to fire as FAST as it can over about the range you'd fire in a cycling sprint. Just that the focus is on the isolated "go forward" muscles. You will notice that there were 3 sets before and also working the opposing muscles each with progressively more weight and less range and that there are a whole bunch of other - on other days too for full range. It was just one exercise in about 30 that day, although very noticeable, so range and supporting muscles are important.
Old 11-28-14, 08:41 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by rkwaki
Depends on how it is being used.

And doge, you have to get your son's leg press to ice a little more. Not deep but imagine the angle that the leg ends up in at the top of a pedal stroke and recreate that in a leg press.
That is done. Typically earlier in the workout. Specifically with holding body weight lunges - forward or back and also - on other days those skaters holding weights as seen in the last part of the video. The heavy presses are gone for this season. He has not done that since out last go around... I just had the video and edited it from yesterday.
Note that the heavy weight knee bend - mirrors the standing sprint knee bend (not referring to track riders). Sprinting is interesting is how little the knee bends and its the max power stroke.

Last edited by Doge; 11-28-14 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-28-14, 02:04 PM
Owen21

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone do paused squats? I did some today (3 sets of 5 @ 132kg) before my jump-squats and really enjoyed them. Just another way of training the squat i guess. I also did a set of 5 squats as my top set: 1st was paused, the following 4 were without any pause (top or bottom), felt a bit like a standing start. Think i might keep it in my programme.
Old 12-01-14, 11:35 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Ever since my collarbone injury in July, my left arm is slightly weaker than the right..

If I'm lifting dumbbells, would it make sense to use the same weight on both arms? (will the left arm eventually "catch up"?)

I figure something is better than nothing, but I don't want to end up with stronger arms that are still imbalanced if that makes sense.

And fwiw this is not heavy lifting/trying to bulk up, just 20 lbs in each arm. (for now)

my race videos
Old 12-01-14, 11:51 PM
Doge

^ I'm (me not Puppy) using a TENS unit - as I post - to hit the areas where injury prevents me hitting. For those that don't shock themselves - it is not free. You / your muscles do all the movement and work. Just the brain is different.
Old 12-02-14, 12:02 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Ever since my collarbone injury in July, my left arm is slightly weaker than the right..

If I'm lifting dumbbells, would it make sense to use the same weight on both arms? (will the left arm eventually "catch up"?)

I figure something is better than nothing, but I don't want to end up with stronger arms that are still imbalanced if that makes sense.

And fwiw this is not heavy lifting/trying to bulk up, just 20 lbs in each arm. (for now)
Both my arms are about the same even after collarbone injury. But that's after a year of completely neglecting upper body in hopes of losing some muscle. An observation: muscle does NOT like to go away.
Old 12-02-14, 12:04 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
But, I think one arm is often stronger than the other. When I lifted, I would always do the same weight both arms, but one always gave out first.
Old 12-02-14, 12:24 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Both my arms are about the same even after collarbone injury. But that's after a year of completely neglecting upper body in hopes of losing some muscle. An observation: muscle does NOT like to go away.
you might be in a unique group with respect to muscle loss
Old 12-02-14, 04:38 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
no. If I could give up upper body mass I would. Did my muscles get smaller over the years? Yeah. But there's a basic change to the musculature that doesn't seem to go away.
Old 12-02-14, 09:29 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
There used to be a guy at my gym who only lifted with one arm. I'm not sure if he had a medical condition or what, but one arm was huge and the other was tiny.
Old 12-02-14, 09:38 AM
Dolamite02

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi via Nirone 7, GT Zaskar 9r Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For several recent months, I had a nagging pain in the outside of my left hip. It's been consistent and exact in its location and severity. A little over a month ago I resumed lifting, and added in lunges and monster walks as suggested to me earlier by @rkwaki. Today, I'm stronger, lifting more, and am 100% pain free thanks to hitting the weights and consistent workouts.

I'm shopping craigslist now for more olympic plates because I'll max out my existing set by next week. Thanks, rkwaki!
Old 12-02-14, 10:00 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dolamite02
For several recent months, I had a nagging pain in the outside of my left hip. It's been consistent and exact in its location and severity. A little over a month ago I resumed lifting, and added in lunges and monster walks as suggested to me earlier by @rkwaki. Today, I'm stronger, lifting more, and am 100% pain free thanks to hitting the weights and consistent workouts.

I'm shopping craigslist now for more olympic plates because I'll max out my existing set by next week. Thanks, rkwaki!
Hey no problem. Glad it worked out. You are doing them in all four directions right?
It's a great exercise to 'fix' nagging aches and pains though hurts like a mother....
Old 12-02-14, 10:01 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
My muscle mass hasn't changed much, but I've always been built like a welterweight fighter. Now still have the same build just more flab. In the past it used to tick me off, now it would be a huge benefit if I started lifting again, since I'd gain little mass but more strength and supposedly more T production. Twelve years of it really burned me out though.

A lot of the other guys in the Corps where using Deca, Winstrol and other stuff to get bigger. That stuff has always scared me off. You could buy it in bulk in Saudi or Thailand and sneak it into the States pretty easily.
Old 12-02-14, 10:03 AM
Dolamite02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki
Hey no problem. Glad it worked out. You are doing them in all four directions right?
It's a great exercise to 'fix' nagging aches and pains though hurts like a mother....
I've actually only been doing them walking forward, but will add in the other directions.
Old 12-02-14, 10:05 AM
Dolamite02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking about picking up some Captains of Crush grip sets to use at the office. Does anyone have any experience with them? Suggestions on which one(s) to start with?
Old 12-02-14, 10:05 AM
Doge

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
AbEnhancer.JPG (71.4 KB, 70 views)
Old 12-02-14, 10:12 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking about picking up some Captains of Crush grip sets to use at the office. Does anyone have any experience with them? Suggestions on which one(s) to start with?
I've used them (hence a grip like a vice) BUT here is something I think is much better. THese are humbling to use. The issue with grip sets is the motion is very linear so you don't necessarily train the entire grip/forearm which can cause some issue through your forearm/elbow.

Big Arms With Fat Gripz!
Old 12-02-14, 10:13 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've actually only been doing them walking forward, but will add in the other directions.

Do a square:
Front
Left
Back
Right
And rather than complete a certain number do it for time. 2 minutes for ex. It is the monster walk to the rear that is killer.
Old 12-02-14, 10:32 AM
Owen21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can measure power on a bike with a power meter, but is it possible to measure the force put out during a squat or deadlift?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.