Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Keeping feet warm?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Keeping feet warm?

Old 12-18-19, 12:53 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Another way to go about things is to leave your house already warmed up. It gives you a head start. E.g. warm glove liners.
Old 12-19-19, 09:10 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewolf
Another way to go about things is to leave your house already warmed up. It gives you a head start. E.g. warm glove liners.
This is my winter commuting strategy. Since I have a velomobile that is mostly enclosed (by next winter, it will be fully enclosed!), I go out first thing in the morning, set a space heater in the velo and put the manhole cover on to keep the heat in.

I go back inside, get dressed, get all my stuff together. This gives the heater a good 15 mins to get warmed up nicely. I climb in and get the cover on before I ever open the garage door. It's got enough airflow that in a few miles, it's cooled back to 'ambient' again, but by that point, I'm usually warmed up.

I just got my new winter bike shoes, added an insulated insole, and even at 12F, I was reasonably comfortable for my 5 mile ride in. The 12 mile ride home, it was ~22F, and my feet stayed warm, so I'm pretty happy with my current setup.
Old 12-24-19, 04:20 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Well, as the weather has finally seemed to have changed, I have been getting cold feet (literally, not figuratively). Looked around and decided to splurge on some socks that are well-reviewed. They allege to be waterproof and our issue here on this side of the Cascades in winter is not so much snow as, say, mid- to upper thirties with steady rain. So, I went in to a nice, reputable bike shop here called River City and got a pair of Showers Pass Crosspoint Lightweight socks. Even though they are the lightweight version, they are still fairly thick. My shoes don't run tight and it was no problem fitting into them with the socks on. Took them out for a little more than two hours in a downpour with no shoe covers. I arrived back home almost completely dry and not cold in the least--temperature was upper thirties.

So far, these seem to have been a wise purchase, even though 37 dollars for socks seems rich for me.

Last edited by bpcyclist; 12-25-19 at 01:18 AM.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 12-24-19, 04:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
Another trick: Gaiters. on,not big baggie hiking gaiters (though they would work). Simple, clean, snug fitting ones that start under your tights or legwarmers and go over your boot or shoe tops. Done right, they keep the wind off your ankles and your boots or shoes dry inside. Keeping the wind off means your feet get warm blood, not cold.

I made a pair from stretchy outdoor fabric, sizing the top half to fit my ankles snugly and the bottoms to fit close over the boot tops. Velcro fasten along the back. Go on quickly and make a big difference, wet or dry.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-24-19, 07:22 PM
Junkbeast

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I'm in Lansing, MI and I used to hang the bike up around October but this year I've still been riding up to this point. It helps when it's like 55F on Dec 22! I'll be honest though, I haven't been riding when it's "too" cold. I use the "feels like" temp which takes wind chill into account so the coldest I've been out is a feels like 25F and had to push it to reach 30 minutes. If the feels like temp is about 30-35 I can do a more normal 60-120 minute ride but I'm getting damn cold after an hour.

I don't have a stitch of bike-specific cold gear. I wear the Costco socks someone else mentioned with a normal pair of white crew socks over them, my bike underwear with a pair of sweatpants, a normal performance fabric t-shirt, a Menard's high-vis long sleeve t-shirt, a Menard's high-vis hoodie, one of those ear warming headband things under my helmet, and my full finger bike gloves with a pair of thin Nike fleece gloves over them. It's really hodgepodge and looks stupid but I'm too old now to care I guess. The only things that get cold are my fingers and toes. Maybe next year I'll invest in some actual real cold weather bike gear so I can ride more than when it's only 30 or higher.
Likes For Junkbeast:
Old 12-25-19, 01:20 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkbeast
I'm in Lansing, MI and I used to hang the bike up around October but this year I've still been riding up to this point. It helps when it's like 55F on Dec 22! I'll be honest though, I haven't been riding when it's "too" cold. I use the "feels like" temp which takes wind chill into account so the coldest I've been out is a feels like 25F and had to push it to reach 30 minutes. If the feels like temp is about 30-35 I can do a more normal 60-120 minute ride but I'm getting damn cold after an hour.

I don't have a stitch of bike-specific cold gear. I wear the Costco socks someone else mentioned with a normal pair of white crew socks over them, my bike underwear with a pair of sweatpants, a normal performance fabric t-shirt, a Menard's high-vis long sleeve t-shirt, a Menard's high-vis hoodie, one of those ear warming headband things under my helmet, and my full finger bike gloves with a pair of thin Nike fleece gloves over them. It's really hodgepodge and looks stupid but I'm too old now to care I guess. The only things that get cold are my fingers and toes. Maybe next year I'll invest in some actual real cold weather bike gear so I can ride more than when it's only 30 or higher.
Thank you for this. My "base layer" consists of whatever old tee shirt I can find and some ten year-old running tights--when needed. Very cost effective. I am sure if I had spent $500 on Rapha that my times would come way down, though...
Old 12-28-19, 09:05 PM
at_hiker59

Bikes: mtn. bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Cold feet

I have found that my feet get colder when damp. So now I use antiperspirant on my feet and find it really helps.

Last edited by at_hiker59; 01-12-20 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-30-19, 05:47 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Has anyone tried UCG boots when riding? Sheepskin boots. They might keep your feet warm and dry. Just a thought.
Old 12-30-19, 07:25 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Think about your body's core temperature, not just the extremities, like hands and feet. If your core loses heat, your body will try to conserve heat by slowing blood flow to your extremities; Your body will sacrifice your toes and fingers if necessary. If your core temperature is too low all the socks and insulation won't keep your fingers or toes warm.
Old 01-01-20, 12:03 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I wear wool socks and winter hiking boots for cycling in the cold. And if there's ice, don't forget the spikes for walking after you get off your bike.
Old 01-09-20, 08:02 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
My "Dry-Guy" boot covers finally arrived in the postal service yesterday! Shout out to rumrunn6 for the great suggestion!

Unlike the Gore-Tex booties I got last winter, the Dry-Guys are adjustable and fit my boots!

Parenthetical comment: the Dry-Guys are geared towards cross-country skiing, which makes yet another interesting connection between cross country skiing and winter cycling!
Old 01-09-20, 08:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
My "Dry-Guy" boot covers finally arrived in the postal service yesterday! Shout out to rumrunn6 for the great suggestion! Unlike the Gore-Tex booties I got last winter, the Dry-Guys are adjustable and fit my boots!Parenthetical comment: the Dry-Guys are geared towards cross-country skiing, which makes yet another interesting connection between cross country skiing and winter cycling!
oh that's interesting, had to look those up tho cuz I didn't see me mentioning them in this thread. must have been another thread (from last year?) (got a link to that one?) cuz they look familiar. by all means share more with us as, you use them, maybe w/ pics. what size did you get & what size shoe/boot are they going over?

these things, right?

DryGuy BootGlove Ski Boot Covers, Keep your Feet Dry and Warm

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-09-20 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-09-20, 09:00 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,449 Times in 1,429 Posts
parkbrav please let us know how well they work. I also want to know how easy the on and off are.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-09-20, 09:55 AM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by noglider
parkbrav please let us know how well they work. I also want to know how easy the on and off are.
I haven't officially used them yet. I tested them out though. Compared to the Gore-Tex Booties I used last year (and broke almost immediately), I think the Dry-Guys are easier to fasten and remove.

You slide on the Dry-Guys from front to back and fasten them with an adjustable velcro strap in the back. I have big feet and wear hiking boots, but even so I think if I tried harder I could get a pretty snug fit.
Old 01-09-20, 09:56 AM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh that's interesting, had to look those up tho cuz I didn't see me mentioning them in this thread. must have been another thread (from last year?) (got a link to that one?) cuz they look familiar. by all means share more with us as, you use them, maybe w/ pics. what size did you get & what size shoe/boot are they going over?

these things, right?

Yep! I haven't used them yet so I don't know how well they work, but they at least fit. (My Gore Tex booties were a size too small and broke right out of the box).
Old 01-09-20, 04:02 PM
parkbrav

these things, right?

Believe it or not, I found the thread from last March 2019 (!):
https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cy...ot-covers.html
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 01-14-20, 02:38 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

OK found them - Men's Columbia Sportswear Hiking, Snow Boot NO Steel Toe Size 13 BM 3726-010 2.00 Grams Omni tech

I have a pair of these and they're fantastic. I bought them for winter Girl Guide camps (because I am, apparently, insane) and then wore them for several winters of commuting by bike and bus in Calgary. I now have the lighter weight quilted fabric ones with 200g insulation and a layer of reflective material inside, which does make a significant difference in heat retention. Those, along with ski socks and flat pedals, are my winter cycling setup now.

The best tip I ever got for keeping feet warm came from Machka, a randonneur who used to live in Edmonton (she's in Tasmania now, lucky thing) - anyway, she taught me to take one of the chemical heat pack *hand* warmers (not the toe ones) and tuck them beside the pulse point my ankle, NOT all the way down by my toes. This allows the blood going into and out of the foot to be warmed, rather than forcing the capillaries in the foot to expand as the direct heat from a toe warmer does - that always makes my toes itch and and has even given me blisters before. It is also a lot easier to fish the heat pack out of the top of your sock if it starts being too warm.
Likes For Buglady:
Old 01-16-20, 10:43 AM
parkbrav

I tried out the dry-guy boot covers in "light rain" this morning. They kept my Waterproof hiking boots bone-dry for the course of the 15 minute commute. I am planning to use them again this winter.

Caveat for the skin-sensitive: they are made from neoprene
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 01-26-20, 04:29 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
sock liners, light hiking socks & toe warmers. good for a cpl hours at 40 degrees with vented, cleated, uncovered MTB shoes