Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Biggest Challenges Owning/Running a Shop

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Biggest Challenges Owning/Running a Shop

Old 05-07-21, 01:44 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
Maybe you should start here with telling us what your friends told you.

From what I've seen of LBSs where I live and bike near in a smaller town, the man behind the counter is probably shop owner and the other guy servicing bikes in the back probably his friend/employee or maybe owns the business with the guy behind the counter.

I think the impetus to start a business like that needs some starting point, like you happen to have or inherit some premises that call for doing some business in them and also there is not a bike shop in the area and you believe one could be here. Another impetus might be coming into the money somehow that you think of 'investing' into some business and you know something about bikes.

I guess it depends on whether you want to start small, tiny and grow, of start higher up which then requires some more significant capital investment.

Many years ago I traveled in states (I lived in Canada and that's where I am now also) and on some radio station there was this guy who people calling in were asking for advices on various things in life and his replies to them didn't spare them a bit, he could even be very rude to them and put them down hard (while having good reason for treating them like that) and I believe that's why he was so popular on the show (as I gathered after listening for a while). And it wasn't that listeners reveled in somebody being put down but the guy had very good common sense, real down to earth advice to the callers in.

This guy called in and said he wants to open a car servicing shop in a small town and how should he go about it. He was told if he doesn't have the capital to invest in it, he should first go and get two or even three jobs going for some years, sleep 4 hours and work the 20, to make loads of money first, and when the guys jaw dropped, since it became obvious that that wasn't the advice he was looking for, he was asked how old he was and then told that given his age, he could endure that, and that it still will be nothing compared to when he finally starts up that business of his. Maybe some of you might know such radio show.
Sounds like Bruce Williams. I listened to him frequently for years. Tough guy but I learned a lot about commercial and personal business from his show.
Old 05-07-21, 02:58 AM
TCollen
So many roads ...

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tricross, a (almost) showroom condition 1987 Schwinn Collegiate 3-speed (for short coffee runs), KMX recumbent trike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 53 Posts
In the initial post, the 2nd question was, "What are you striving for/what's your goal?" The correct but very harsh answer is that every start-up's ultimate goal is to make lots of money. If one only wants to make friends and help the community, then go ring a bell at Christmas time. This is basic Business 101.

Imagine if I approached a potential investor with a business plan that would make many new friends but would barely make any profit. Do you think the investor would want to help? Every entrepreneur's primary goal must be to make money honestly and fairly.

Ideally one would, for example, start a business with, say, $10,000 and then grow the business and consistently turn a good and steady profit after covering all expenses.Then after 4 years sell the business for $50,000. That return on the initial investment would be better than an IRA or 401k.

So, the #1 goal is to make money honestly and fairly. If in the process you also make many friends, then you are in the Bonus Round.
Likes For TCollen:
Old 05-08-21, 07:54 AM
Motorazr

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Diverge Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Anyone looking at starting a bike shop would do well to read up on Jeff Cayley, founder and CEO of Worldwide Cyclery. Look at the web site. Look at the YouTube channel. Jeff is a young, smart guy who has put a lot of thought into building a successful cycling business, living a happy life, AND encouraging others to do the same.