Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

How much to offer for Bridgestone CB-2?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-21, 11:42 PM
wheelyneedhelp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This seems overpriced to me, but I know little to nothing about bikes. I just like riding them. I prefer touring bikes to all others, and I'm a 5'3" female so this seems like a pretty good fit. $600 though?

I can't post the link but it says:
"Selling used and loved
Bridgestone CB-2. Set up for commuting or easy trail riding. Also makes a great long distance touring rig for short riders.
19.5” C-C
26” wheel.
Low stand over and long reach

Comes with:
-Brookes B-17
-Velocity rims
-SRAM I-light
-Bausch + Muller stand light
-new Schwalbe marathon 26” x 2.1
-Brookes B17
-Soma Sutro stem
-Ritcheh bars
-Deore rear derailleur
-8spd Triple
-Paul thumbies

bicycle frame material: steel
bicycle type: hybrid/comfort
brake type: v-brakes
condition: excellent
electric assist: none
frame size: 19”
handlebar type: riser
make / manufacturer: Bridgestone
model name / number: CB-2
suspension: none (rigid)
wheel size: 26 in"
Old 05-19-21, 05:06 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
Location determines market, but $600 is absurd anywhere.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...b-2-price.html
Old 05-19-21, 05:26 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Bridgestones tend to command a premium in the used market. They are good bikes and there is a demand for them. Based on the description of the bike, it is clear tha the seller has sunk a lot of money into this bike with wheels, lights, tires, saddle, shifters, derailleurs, etc.

Without a pic, it is difficult to determine value but this is worth more--based on the parts--than the prices you are seeing in the valuation forum. Plus prices have gone up since the pandemic so take those values with a grain of salt.

It is worth more than $125 (the price in the valuation forums) but $600 may be a stretch. If this bike has pretty much all new parts that you can really use, than maybe it is worth that much to you. New wheels aren't cheap. I do not know how much that lighting system is worth. If you like the bike, you can do a bit of homework on the parts and make an offer that seems fair.
Old 05-19-21, 09:32 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
That bike is pretty hooked up, what with Paul thumb shifters, generator hub, and a triple crankset. If it’s in good shape, I don’t think $600 is crazy; you’ll certainly not find anything new similarly spec’d for that. You can get a perfectly good, brand new utility bike for $700, so you need to decide if a generator hub and light is important to you.

Personally, I’d prefer to have a new bike with modern bits and gearing, disc brakes, and modern geometry and spend a little more, with the plan to use rechargeable lights, of which there are many excellent and affordable options. If the CB2 is exactly what you want, though, the price is fine. For reference, I just sold my ‘04 Novara Big Buzz last week for $500, and the buyer told me he thought I was “giving it away.” Admittedly it was loaded with a Garmin Edge 500 and sensors, two wheelsets with tires, fenders, bar ends, and MonkeyLights, but the thing is that it was just the kind of bike the buyer wanted, plus some fun stuff he’d never imagined, so the value assessment was high.
Old 05-19-21, 10:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
There isn't anything particularly great about that bike that others won't do just as well.

It is way overpriced to me for a used bike of that age. I'd seriously question the claim of
makes a great long distance touring rig for short riders.
What type riding are you planning on doing? Paved only? If you are thinking you sometimes might want to go off the paved trail, realize that many that buy a bike thinking that never do. Other than maybe a few times right after getting one and realize they really don't want to.
Old 05-19-21, 10:28 AM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
As mentioned above, there is some dependence on locality and I would concur with some of the other responses that $600 is quite over-priced. It appears to me that the seller has taken a relatively average bike and outfitted it with some high end componentry customized to his/her preferences. While this may add some value to the bike, the value it adds to the bike is not commensurate with the price of the components. What I mean by this is that if you have a used bike that is worth $125 and then add a Brooks B17 saddle that costs $100, you do not end up with a bike that is worth $225. It might be more like $140 or $150 (or whatever) but not $225. It is sort of like adding an expensive stereo to an average car. When you go to sell that car, the expensive stereo won't add much value. While Bridgestone made some great bikes, the CB series was not considered to be their higher end and they don't have the vintage or collectible value like some of the MBs, RBs or XOs.
Likes For fettsvenska:
Old 05-19-21, 10:37 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
In addition, very small and very large frames do not typically command higher prices due to the limiting customer base.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bridgestone...cAAOSwAQpfaN3-
Old 05-19-21, 10:45 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
The price of the bike is moot as the size is too big. 19", 26" wheels, There is no way you could even straddle that bike, let alone reach the bars.

It doesn't fit. Look for something else.

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3186...d42cb8ed_o.jpg for a geometry table.
Old 05-19-21, 11:17 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,781 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling to Classic & Vintage Appraisals.

Old 05-19-21, 11:20 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,781 Posts
https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/...304016487.html

Old 05-19-21, 11:57 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
I think it's worth over $400 for sure, since it has dyno and lights. Not over $500 either.
Old 05-19-21, 01:52 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Unless the seller got all the extras at cost, they have at least $600 into the bike. So if this is the bike you want, with the extras you want ready to go theres a number between 4 and 6 hundred. Ive got a CB-1 that Ive got a lot of time and a simular amount into it. Its not for sale, but if someone had to have it, they would need to put $600 on the table.
Of course I havent swapped out the groupset or built a dynamo wheel for it yet, after that, all bets are off. Starting a build with a $100 bike is blessing and a curse.

Last edited by bark_eater; 05-19-21 at 02:13 PM.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 05-19-21, 02:15 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
the bike is way over built the seller likely spent nearly a $1000 on what is know about $300-400 bike on the used market Also note that if them stem height setup in the pic is your size the frame may be a bit small if your going to spend this kind of money on vintage hard frame MTB you want to get one that's the right size.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 05-19-21, 03:35 PM
wheelyneedhelp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
That bike is pretty hooked up, what with Paul thumb shifters, generator hub, and a triple crankset. If it’s in good shape, I don’t think $600 is crazy; you’ll certainly not find anything new similarly spec’d for that. You can get a perfectly good, brand new utility bike for $700, so you need to decide if a generator hub and light is important to you.

Personally, I’d prefer to have a new bike with modern bits and gearing, disc brakes, and modern geometry and spend a little more, with the plan to use rechargeable lights, of which there are many excellent and affordable options. If the CB2 is exactly what you want, though, the price is fine. For reference, I just sold my ‘04 Novara Big Buzz last week for $500, and the buyer told me he thought I was “giving it away.” Admittedly it was loaded with a Garmin Edge 500 and sensors, two wheelsets with tires, fenders, bar ends, and MonkeyLights, but the thing is that it was just the kind of bike the buyer wanted, plus some fun stuff he’d never imagined, so the value assessment was high.
I was afraid that this might be the case, since my budget is closer to 3-400 (low, I know, but I'm used to riding crappy bikes and don't know any better).

Originally Posted by Iride01
There isn't anything particularly great about that bike that others won't do just as well.

It is way overpriced to me for a used bike of that age. I'd seriously question the claim of

What type riding are you planning on doing? Paved only? If you are thinking you sometimes might want to go off the paved trail, realize that many that buy a bike thinking that never do. Other than maybe a few times right after getting one and realize they really don't want to.
Yeah I am not completely in love with it, but there aren't a lot of options for the frame size, price, and type of bike I'm looking for. Really, I should just wait a bit and see if anything else comes up on CL. I moved from out of state 7 months ago and had to sell my old bike, so I'm getting antsy, but it seems like this isn't the one. I'm not willing to pay $600, and from what others are saying, the seller may have sunk even more than that into the bike and probably won't part with it for much less.

I'm mostly riding on pavement. In the past, I've found myself on a bit of gravel, dirt etc. and have always been glad that I didn't have a road bike. I owned one once and it just didn't jive for me.

Originally Posted by blakcloud
The price of the bike is moot as the size is too big. 19", 26" wheels, There is no way you could even straddle that bike, let alone reach the bars.

It doesn't fit. Look for something else.
Really? I looked up the sizes and this one seems ideal for my height.

Originally Posted by bark_eater
Unless the seller got all the extras at cost, they have at least $600 into the bike. So if this is the bike you want, with the extras you want ready to go theres a number between 4 and 6 hundred. Ive got a CB-1 that Ive got a lot of time and a simular amount into it. Its not for sale, but if someone had to have it, they would need to put $600 on the table.
Of course I havent swapped out the groupset or built a dynamo wheel for it yet, after that, all bets are off. Starting a build with a $100 bike is blessing and a curse.
Yeah, I could understand wanting to sell if for that much considering how much money they spent on it, but it's still true that the frame is apparently not very high end at all. Between 400-600 is a little high for me, but I might consider offering 450 to start and see what happens.

Originally Posted by zukahn1
the bike is way over built the seller likely spent nearly a $1000 on what is know about $300-400 bike on the used market Also note that if them stem height setup in the pic is your size the frame may be a bit small if your going to spend this kind of money on vintage hard frame MTB you want to get one that's the right size.
You're saying the frame is too small, and someone else said it was too big.
Old 05-19-21, 04:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
If you were willing to go 600 bucks for a used bike that old, is a new bike worth a little more to you? Even so, $600- $700 still gets you a few decent new bikes. Albeit you have to hope someone somewhere has one in stock. And many of these also come with wheels smaller than 700C which can make a small frame feel too big to some.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...ext=96121-7002
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/shop/bikes/active-bikes/

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...lorCode=orange
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...=%3Arelevance#

And though many don't like these because they don't look sporty, a cruiser will be a very comfortable bike for leisurely riding:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=blue
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...bikes/c/EB600/
Old 05-19-21, 04:29 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

For your stature, this 19" frame might be too big as a mountain bike, but fine as a road bike, as long as your comfortable with the stand over height. The only advantages this frame has over any other lower end mountain bike is the Bridgestone sticker and a slightly more road bikeish geometry. At 5'3 the lower bottom bracket height might be a real advantage.

Another side of buying a built up bike like this, is that all the parts can get swapped to a different frame later on, say if you found a 26" long haul trucker frame at the salvation army...
Old 05-19-21, 06:14 PM
bark_eater 

Just cause...
Old 05-19-21, 06:52 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
I sure wouldn't trade the RB for any of those cruiser Treks.
$450 buys very little these days. 19" is definitely a small fit for a level TT. I have several 23" and I'm 5'8".
I just spent $1000Cdn for a discount roadster. I basically just got it for the perfect frame. Levers were total crap, seat post and pedals are gone too.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 05-19-21 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-19-21, 07:25 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
I just mentioned the stem because it is at danger level for a quill stem

Last edited by zukahn1; 05-19-21 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-19-21, 08:35 PM
wheelyneedhelp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
For your stature, this 19" frame might be too big as a mountain bike, but fine as a road bike, as long as your comfortable with the stand over height. The only advantages this frame has over any other lower end mountain bike is the Bridgestone sticker and a slightly more road bikeish geometry. At 5'3 the lower bottom bracket height might be a real advantage.

Another side of buying a built up bike like this, is that all the parts can get swapped to a different frame later on, say if you found a 26" long haul trucker frame at the salvation army...
I really do prefer the road bike geometry. My last bike didn't have an appropriate stand over height because the frame was a bit big for me, but I still loved it.

Your bike in the image is pretty ideal for my preferences. I ought to go try this one out before I get ahead of myself with the decision making, but I think I could manage 500 if they were willing to sell it for that. That seems fair, based on what I've read here.

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
I sure wouldn't trade the RB for any of those cruiser Treks.
$450 buys very little these days. 19" is definitely a small fit for a level TT. I have several 23" and I'm 5'8".
I just spent $1000Cdn for a discount roadster. I basically just got it for the perfect frame. Levers were total crap, seat post and pedals are gone too.
Yeah, I remember finding some great bikes for cheap when I lived in San Diego and was bike shopping like a decade ago. The city I live in is very bike friendly, so I was surprised that I didn't have many options.

Originally Posted by zukahn1
I just mentioned the stem because it is at danger level for a quill stem
Can you explain what this means? I'm pretty novice, despite a lifetime of riding.
Old 05-19-21, 09:14 PM
wheelyneedhelp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I just measured my inseam as about 30" without shoes on. Not sure I'm reading the geometry table correctly, but it seems like I'd have an inch of room? I'd like to see for myself, so I did contact the seller. After Googling the used parts and coming up with $720 as an estimate of what I could buy everything for, $600 is starting to sound more reasonable, but I still think I'll ask for 500, since the frame itself isn't fantastic. I have a crappy car with a ton of miles that used to be pretty nice, and had a pretty nice sound system installed many years ago, but the car still isn't worth any more for it. Then again, I don't know what the lifetime of a bike or it's parts is. Cars and speakers degrade pretty fast with use, so that's a bad analogy.
Old 05-19-21, 09:25 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
The few nice upgrades not withstanding, this bike will not sell for $600. Go see it. If if fits you and you like it offer less. Paying a small premium for a bike is fine if it saves you time. I would say even $400 would be in premium territory for this bike.
Old 05-19-21, 09:32 PM
wheelyneedhelp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's already been sold, but the seller said that they have similar measurements as me, so I suppose I can look for something similar in the future. Thanks for everyone's help, I learned quite a bit that will help my search for another.