Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Old 01-13-20, 08:40 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
So, scored a Poc Cerebel TT helmet for $100 with case. Shows up in time to test it before my TT race. It claims to have a small line in it from taking it on and off. The pics barely showed a line. Still probably worth the buy for a $350 helmet.

I know the Giro Adv 2 is stinking fast for its age, but that tail never stays all the way down for me without sacrificing forehead/head safety. Also, I think the POC will be better at more yaws and head positions while riding.

I'm waiting for a response from a local on a front HED stinger in a 90. If so, I'd sell the HED 3c despite the cool factor. Weird, no response yet though. No amount of cool factor is worth being slower due to crap tire/aero profile and not being able to ever even use it since the road isn't super clean/perfect. If I try a trispoke ever again, it'll be a HED in the plus tire size.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-13-20, 09:35 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
burnthesheep I am no longer do mass start races but I do HC races either mass start or time trial from time to time. I have a 50/34 on my road bike and an 11 speed 11/32 cassette. I may switch to an 11/25 for some hill climb like the GMR that has a steady 6% grade or I am looking for a particular gear combination that yields the cadence I want for the speed I can maintain. The only time I would like a 53 on the front is for low cadence interval work on flat terrain and in general, I do that on my time trial bike. Setting up gearing on bikes seems to me race specific if one is going to optimize gearing selection. Big gear in the front and big gear in the back is the lowest friction and least drive train losses.
It looks like that race is back on this year!
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 01-13-20, 11:50 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Going to order some custom short sleeve speedsuits this week. I have a couple long sleeve ones, but I cannot tolerate the heat in them. Long sleeves and dark colors just kill me. Shorts sleeves may not be as aero, but aero advantages don't help if I'm dying from the heat.

Also had major issues with bikes this weekend.

Went to cut down two steertubes this weekend. They were long overdue. On the first one, I had no trouble getting out the stupid Specialized expander, but the lower headset bearing came apart when I took the fork out. Not sure how that happened. This bike largely sits on the trainer. So, I have to order a complete new headset because the Allez Sprint uses a weird size and the lower is not available on its own.

On the second steertube, the Specialized expander would not come out. I followed the standard protocol - which worked on the first bike. Instead, it went farther down and is full stuck there. I think the shop installed it wrong, because the angled plug appears to be upside down - which means I should have pulled it out instead of pushing it in. Fortunately, it's far enough down that I can insert another expander over it. Not ideal, but it saves me from buying a new fork.

Then I went to do a complete overhaul of my main road bike - new cables, housing, chain, bar tape, brake pads. It was a bit overdue, even if everything other than the brake pads functioned fine. Well, the lower headset bearing on that one is pretty worn out. Makes more sense on this one as the bike has been ridden a lot over the last six years and water and grime gets up in there. So, I have to order a new one - I can get just the lower bearing for this one. Not a big deal. More annoyingly, the screw that holds the cover to access the cables under the BB just spins. I guess the rivet it screws into has come loose, so I cannot remove the screw. I was able to rotate the plastic cover to access it, but this is the third screw on this frame to do that. (The other two are for mounting an external batter pack, which I don't use, so not a big deal, but still annoying.)
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 01-17-20, 06:03 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Going to order some custom short sleeve speedsuits this week. I have a couple long sleeve ones, but I cannot tolerate the heat in them. Long sleeves and dark colors just kill me. Shorts sleeves may not be as aero, but aero advantages don't help if I'm dying from the heat.
Shave your arms.
Old 01-19-20, 01:35 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Anyone use Dynaplugs? I had a gash in my tire and I'm looking at the C02 one that fills and plugs the hole. Its expensive, but if that means fixing a tire in under 30 seconds, it'll be well worth it.

I'll probably also get the cheap 10 dollar bacon plugs as well, to use during non racing situations.
Old 01-25-20, 09:58 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Anyone use Dynaplugs? I had a gash in my tire and I'm looking at the C02 one that fills and plugs the hole. Its expensive, but if that means fixing a tire in under 30 seconds, it'll be well worth it.

I'll probably also get the cheap 10 dollar bacon plugs as well, to use during non racing situations.
Late to the party.. I carry a dynaplug in a pocket (or hip pack) for all my rides now. They just work. I even managed to get a nice tubular to seal up with some orange seal and a big plug.
I don't use the co2 kind but have heard good things.
Old 01-26-20, 09:37 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
I had the bottom bracket of my bike rebuilt with Ceramic Speed. The bike is now totally quiet. In retrospect, I should have run a test by putting the bike with the old bottom bracket on the rollers with a set tire pressure and measured power at a specific cadence. Then repeat the test after the rebuild. Oh well. I believe I am saving watts....that is all that matters.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 01-26-20, 12:11 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
The Poc Cerebel came in. That’s a lot of fancy kit for $100 used. I can fit in a medium so smaller area. Also, it’s obvious it will work better for my position and tendency to look down a touch. It’s tail is rounded or bobbed. Love the visibility with a visor over sunglasses.

Test ride with it Tuesday.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-29-20, 05:28 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Anyone know of good 700 X 25-30 STUDDED tires?

We are having a blast in CO winters hiking and being out. The issue is ICE. Maybe this is a MTB only thing, but around us there are some fantastic ice covered road bike roads. I have many 700c bikes and rims, so would rather go with those.

Hard pack (think ice) closed road. A cross or road bike with studs. MTB not needed.