Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Lower seat post when already min height

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-21, 09:17 PM
RayMAKER

Bikes: 2009 Giant Cypress Ladies Bike and 2012 Giant Cypress Mens

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, wife is 5'2" i bought a used 2009 Giant Cypress DX (Medium womens) its a little too tall but need to make work. Everything is adjustable but the suspension seatpost is aleady at lowest point. Is there any reason i cant just replace with solid post to get it down 2" lower for her?

Thanks for any help on this.
Old 07-11-21, 11:27 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by RayMAKER
Ok, wife is 5'2" i bought a used 2009 Giant Cypress DX (Medium womens) its a little too tall but need to make work. Everything is adjustable but the suspension seatpost is aleady at lowest point. Is there any reason i cant just replace with solid post to get it down 2" lower for her?

Thanks for any help on this.
I can't think of one other than the rider's objection to doing that, which would mean a different bike. Bike is too big. Reach might be too great and bars too high, which might not be particularly comfortable and not the way the bike was designed to be ridden.
Old 07-11-21, 12:57 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
The bike is still very almost certain to be too big for your wife, if 5' 2" is not a typo. It's too big for me, at least on paper, and I'm 5' 7".
Old 07-11-21, 02:26 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Sounds too big, to me. By quite a bit.

Depends a lot on riding position, of course. But, myself, at 5'9" and a relatively upright riding preference, I find that any top tube in the 22" range (as the Cypress DX / MED is, in the current geometry) to be far too much of a reach for me ... assuming the standard stem and bars. To say nothing of the stand-over height. Which, at least in current geometry, is more than 30" for the Medium size.

About ten years ago, I tried out a Cypress, among others, and found the Small size to be about right or perhaps a tad large for me. Though everyone's different.

You can certainly swap out the "suspension" seat post for something that'll allow more downward adjustment. And there are some saddles that measure a bit less height from pad to rails as compared to a well-padded saddle (uncertain which this bike has). Which, with this frame and rider fit, is probably about your only option. Short of a frame change to something better-fitting.
Old 07-11-21, 03:11 PM
RayMAKER

Bikes: 2009 Giant Cypress Ladies Bike and 2012 Giant Cypress Mens

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I can't think of one other than the rider's objection to doing that, which would mean a different bike. Bike is too big. Reach might be too great and bars too high, which might not be particularly comfortable and not the way the bike was designed to be ridden.
The top tube isnt any issue, only the seat. This is a low step theough type bike. I agree its way too big if it were the mens model but lowering seat by 2 inches and she damn near can sit flat footed on seat to floor. Seat posts are cheap i will see what that does. The bars adjust waay down.
Old 07-11-21, 04:37 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by RayMAKER
The top tube isnt any issue, only the seat. This is a low step theough type bike. I agree its way too big if it were the mens model but lowering seat by 2 inches and she damn near can sit flat footed on seat to floor. Seat posts are cheap i will see what that does. The bars adjust waay down.
I've looked at the bike. Height of top tube is of course not an issue, only the length of it. You don't want the saddle that low in any case. With normal saddle height, one can just barely touch the ground with one's toes while sitting on the saddle.
Old 08-16-21, 07:20 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
The Giant Cypress are bizarrely massive frames. I had one a few years ago - I got a medium, and found it felt WAY too big. I'm 6' tall. I don't see how someone 5'2" could feel comfortable on that bike. It got sold very quickly.

For comparison's sake, I ride a 58/59cm road bike.
Old 08-24-21, 11:13 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Yes, you can change the seatpost to a regular one without any other problems.

However, I would recommend also getting a stem that is maybe a bit shorter, which places the handlebars down lower. Or at least mount the current quill stem all the way down into the head tube.