Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The best wine for cycling wine enthusiasts?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The best wine for cycling wine enthusiasts?

Old 10-14-21, 10:38 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 71 Posts
Not a wine drinker, which is a mighty shame as I live in the heart of California's wine country (vineyard across the street and closest actual winery is a mile away). I am personally a beer drinker. Don't do it these days, but in my younger years, I would definitely hit the road with a PBR in the bottle cage when out with friends for a late night cruise in the city. I'll still absolutely open a bottle after a ride though these days. A local pub is often the start/finish of my rides and runs, particularly if I'm with friends. I've found lighter beer is better than darker stuff post workout. Somewhat amusingly related, the running group I'm a part of in SF has hosted, in past years, an unofficial beer check on the course of the San Francisco Marathon.

Back to wine and bikes, when I was a teenager, I'd ride with my brother and dad on a 30 mile round trip pretty regularly for my dad to pick up a particular bottle of wine he liked right at the winery where it was bottled.
Old 10-14-21, 11:43 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I don’t know when you were young, but forty or fifty years ago, the Soave zone, nearby to Vicenza, made quite a big boom for itself marketing industrial grade wines from garganega in the USA...
I was 20 years old stationed in Vicenza in early 70's. I remember cycling narrow roads through miles of vinyards. Some of the ones between Verona and Vicenza had signs Bolla. And then there was a little town called Soave half way to Verona. We never really drank thier wine in our ridding group. That wine was getting shipped out, or for the tourists. Of course most of the wines that the old guys carried was in aluminum Alpini Canteens and was of a home made family vent. Usually dry rusty light red or rusty white and never the same. I could never ride with guys my own age. They were way to serious to allow a guy with minimal experience to ride with them no matter what bike he was on. The old guys, veterans, took me in and showed me how to ride. It was fun. And I could almost keep up with them...

I was ridding a Tuto Campagnolo Recordo Columbus Tubing "LIOTTO" that was hand made just for me. Miss that bike...
Old 10-15-21, 12:26 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
That is a good one.

I'm lazy, I just bring 1959 haut brion on short tours.
you ain't lazy if you're trying to pour that olde ho bryan, filtering or no, since it's throwing a lot of sediment these days. takes a while unless you like it chunky style.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-15-21, 05:11 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 1,024 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I was 20 years old stationed in Vicenza in early 70's. I remember cycling narrow roads through miles of vinyards. Some of the ones between Verona and Vicenza had signs Bolla. And then there was a little town called Soave half way to Verona. We never really drank thier wine in our ridding group. That wine was getting shipped out, or for the tourists. Of course most of the wines that the old guys carried was in aluminum Alpini Canteens and was of a home made family vent. Usually dry rusty light red or rusty white and never the same. I could never ride with guys my own age. They were way to serious to allow a guy with minimal experience to ride with them no matter what bike he was on. The old guys, veterans, took me in and showed me how to ride. It was fun. And I could almost keep up with them...

I was ridding a Tuto Campagnolo Recordo Columbus Tubing "LIOTTO" that was hand made just for me. Miss that bike...
what an awesome experience!
Old 10-15-21, 05:15 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Leinster
Clif family wines. The same people as Clif bars.

A picture of the founder climbing the Stelvio in Italy on the bottle.

They host regular rides from the tasting room in town, and they have TdF-style kilometer markers on the climb past their estate winery.

But the real answer is “whatever bottle is open now.”
Neat! I didn’t know about that! Thanks!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 10-15-21, 12:04 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
https://cyclesgladiator.com/

https://www.conosur.com/en/vinos/bicicleta-pinot-noir/

https://www.conosur.com/en/vinos/bic...-pinot-noir-2/

The Life-Sized City Blog: Bicycles and Wines - Now With Censorship

Dan
Old 10-15-21, 01:39 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Thanks for sharing those. I know Gladiator, ConoSur, and Hill of Content; I don’t think any of them have much to do with cycling beyond having bikes on the label.
Old 10-15-21, 02:07 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Part of the fun of travelling (on a bike or other lesser means of transport) is to try the food and drink popular in whatever region you are visiting.

So the answer is: the best wine is whatever is available that will go well with whatever food is available.

Pro tip: the best drink it isn't always wine.
Old 10-15-21, 02:24 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Part of the fun of travelling (on a bike or other lesser means of transport) is to try the food and drink popular in whatever region you are visiting.

So the answer is: the best wine is whatever is available that will go well with whatever food is available.

Pro tip: the best drink it isn't always wine.
Be careful with that philosophy: if you travel to Chicago, they might give you Malort.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-15-21, 02:31 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Is it ok to drink after the ride ??
that's up to you
Old 10-16-21, 06:47 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,317 Times in 671 Posts
I am all about the region.

Old 10-16-21, 09:20 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged

Good stuff to be had down in those parts, for sure!
Old 10-17-21, 01:44 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged

always a good blind tasting ringer. ventoux wines tend to taste like a cross between burgundies and rhônes.
Old 10-17-21, 12:22 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
For emergency use while touring, I can see the appeal of the T-handle. Light it is, easy to open bottles it ain’t…though I concede that may depend, to some degree, on the quality of wine being opened. A short cork in a young wine will generally pull easier than a long, high-quality cork in a bottle which has aged awhile. In any case, we thankfully have a pretty good selection of wines which are closed under screwcap or canned nowadays, obviating the need for any tool whatsoever. A friend of mine is just now launching a new and innovative paper bottle packaged wine, the first in the N. American market, which is screwcapped, but is also 100% recycleable and very lightweight, which would be handy if you’re packing wine out with you on the bike! https://signal7wines.com
Hmmm. I do have a block when it comes to making paper in a completely "organic" way that can hold wine/alcohol. But I'll watch for it.
Old 10-17-21, 12:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson

+1. BITD I spent 7 weeks bike touring Andalucia. I had been not working for nearly a year, so I had planned to cook and camp as much as possible. Ended up spending more nights indoors and eating out than planned. Didn’t regret eating out. Had a lot of great local food and whatever wine there was.

One memorable meal in a small town was scrambled eggs with asparagus and shrimp and then a half a grilled rabbit in onion sauce with potatoes. Asked for a glass of wine. The waiter brought out a liter bottle of table wine and said pay for what you drink, which ended up being the entire bottle. Such great food and service I left a tip.
Old 10-17-21, 01:20 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by kahn
Hmmm. I do have a block when it comes to making paper in a completely "organic" way that can hold wine/alcohol. But I'll watch for it.
Oh, haha…it just the outer package that’s paper; the wine is in a bag inside the paper bottle. It’s like a rework of the bag-in-box classic.
Old 10-17-21, 01:26 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Oh, haha…it just the outer package that’s paper; the wine is in a bag inside the paper bottle. It’s like a rework of the bag-in-box classic.
I just got one of those bed-in-a-box things. Let me say, 100 pound boxes are not easy to move around. Everything in a box these days is too much.
Old 10-17-21, 04:03 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 402 Posts
Our summer and winter homes are in beer towns. Tucson has a bike themed brewery Catalina, and Portland has several opportunities with my favorite Velo Cult, RIP. For me beer is a very high IBU IPA and as for a wine a Cab or Shiraz that has enough body for a spoon to stand up in it.

Last edited by easyupbug; 10-17-21 at 04:11 PM.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 10-17-21, 04:15 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Our summer and winter homes are in beer towns. Tucson has a bike themed brewery Catalina, and Portland has several opportunities with my favorite Velo Cult, RIP. For me beer is a very high IBU IPA and as for a wine a Cab or Shiraz that has enough body for a spoon to stand up in it.
Slimmer pickings around your spring and fall homes?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 10-17-21 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-17-21, 04:24 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Slimmer pickings in your spring and fall homes?
Well, we have a cabin in the Bighorns and traveling to town, Sheridan, WY, I can recommend the The Tasting Library on Main and of the 3 breweries I strongly prefer Black Tooth.
Old 10-18-21, 03:15 AM
BlackWhite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wine has a long history in cycling and life, and with an excellent reasons. It's not just great with your baguette after a ride and a glass of wine, but it is also great for your health; when consumed in moderation wine has been proven to reduce the risk of heart disease as well as diabetes, Alzheimer's and other chronic diseases. We sought out cyclist expert sommelier Stefani Jackenthal, who is the author of Wanderlust Wining and the owner of NTS Wine Tasting LLC in New York City, for some of the most effective bicycle wines to pair with. Enjoy one of these on your next bike ride.

Check our for carbon fiber bicycle
Old 10-18-21, 12:12 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
...the best wine for cycling enthusiasts?

Last edited by Riveting; 10-18-21 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-18-21, 10:54 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by easyupbug
was really bummed when velo cult-then my local shop-pulled the ripcord on san diego back in 2011 to move to portland. had heard they closed down in portland but had forgotten about it.
Old 10-18-21, 10:57 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

nothing of substance in the wine world in san diego but we do have rouleur brewing down here.