Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tapping M4 boss to M5

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tapping M4 boss to M5

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-21, 08:21 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Tapping M4 boss to M5

Good evening all

I purchased some low profile M5 bolts for my bottle cages only to discover that Colnago apparently used an M4 at least at this time?. I’m fairly handy with tools but have never used a tap and die set, I assume I can re-tap these holes to M5 by simply running the appropriate cutter through the boss? I’d hate to screw these up by finding out too late that it’s not quite that straight forward
Old 10-19-21, 08:26 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Good evening all

I purchased some low profile M5 bolts for my bottle cages only to discover that Colnago apparently used an M4 at least at this time?. I’m fairly handy with tools but have never used a tap and die set, I assume I can re-tap these holes to M5 by simply running the appropriate cutter through the boss? I’d hate to screw these up by finding out too late that it’s not quite that straight forward
Would seem easier to get some M4 bolts,
Old 10-19-21, 08:40 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Originally Posted by BCDrums
I’ve looked for low profile blue anodized bolts in M4 but cannot find exactly what I’m looking for.
Old 10-19-21, 08:42 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
You'd have to drill out the bosses then tap the threads. If the frame is aluminum and the bosses are welded on, this might be possible, If the bosses are swaged in, or the frame is carbon, you might apply enough torque to cause the boss to spin. BCDrums' idea ^^ is much better.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 10-19-21, 08:43 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
+1. You can't just run an M5x0.8 tap through a threaded M4x0.7 hole without taking a great chance of breaking the tap, particularly if the bottle bosses are steel. If they are rivnuts, you stand a good chance of spinning the rivnut loose and then nothing will work.

You would have to drill out the existing holes with an M5 tap drill (4.2 mm or #19 drill bit) then tap new threads with an M5x0.8 mm tap.

Buying a few suitable M4 screws will be much easier and cheaper.
Old 10-19-21, 09:16 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Ebay has some blue M4 bolt listings, but they're all in China. So, you could order those, or you could get some from the hardware store and hit them with this.

I've used it on a few things, and it looks just like anodizing if done right. Less durable, but if they ever chip, you can just do it again.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 10-19-21, 09:18 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
There’s nothing worse than having something go sideways when you knew it was a bad idea to begin with.
I would just get some stainless M4 bolts. If it makes it easier you can just think of them as placeholders.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 10-20-21, 12:03 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
The tapping drill size for M5 is 4.2 mm, which is not much difference to the 4 mm thread root size of your M4, especially if you are going to have to hold the drill. You might get a nice pair of threaded holes, or you might not.
Old 10-20-21, 05:01 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
If you simply store the bike with water bottles in place, then no one, including yourself, will see the bolts, and thus a potential problem has been averted. On one of my display bikes I have a "special to me" water bottle in place on the bike, and I will confirm the bottle bolts cannot be seen.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 10-20-21, 05:48 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
There's probably more than a couple "silver" bolts on the bike. "Blue" must be pretty important to risk screwing up the holes in general. If they get messed up in the effort to make them M5...how's the next (post M5 re-work screw-up) bottle cage attachment going to look?

Some things matter..some don't. Put some silver M4 bolts in there, or paint the heads if you need to, and a week from now some other "thing" will capture your attention and the blue-bolt thing will be a distant, less important memory.
Old 10-20-21, 05:58 AM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by due ruote
There’s nothing worse than having something go sideways when you knew it was a bad idea to begin with.
It's a lesson I have learned. This would make a good signature!
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 10-20-21, 06:18 AM
BCDrums

I’ve looked for low profile blue anodized bolts in M4 but cannot find exactly what I’m looking for.

https://www.probolt-usa.com/titanium...4x0-50mmx12mm/

This could be a candidate.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 10-20-21, 06:20 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
It's a lesson I have learned. This would make a good signature!
I second that, and liked the first mention of it. You already have this feeling that you're going down the wrong road. You already know it's the wrong approach and, for some reason, you can't turn back.

When you finally do screw it up...you get this empty feeling in your stomach, that feeling where you wish you had listened to that voice that told you not to proceed..
Old 10-20-21, 06:52 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
^ interesting observation. I think that a part of maturity is having the self control to resist the impulse to simply plunge forward with a plan that you know is unsound. I'm always so proud when those moments occur, and I step back from the abyss to reconsider my way. This has come with both age and mountains of mistakes along the way, though.
Old 10-20-21, 07:00 AM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
You can't just run a larger tap into a smaller thread to enlarge it, you would have to drill the old threads out first. (machinist drill register bit). Especially since the threaded bung you're talking about is probably no more that a few mm deep. It would just tear out the old threads and mess the hole up real good. the tap would have to be held firmly in a fixture as it turns to ensure it is going in straight. A long hole to be tapped is kind of self straightening for a hand tapping job but a shallow one will Hogg out.

Re-tapping the hole is a ruined frame waiting to happen.
If they make 5mm blue bolts, the same company makes 4mm blue bolts. Maybe not the packager you got the 5mm from, but the company that actually made them. Patience and looking around for the right bolts is the answer
Worst case scenarios:
Your bolt heads aren't blue
You ruin an expensive frame
Likes For macstuff:
Old 10-20-21, 08:01 AM
Tomm Willians

Thank you !
Old 10-20-21, 08:30 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If by "anodized" you mean aluminum, I avoid aluminum nuts and bolts (and spoke nipples) like the plague. They are weak and liable to both stripping and seizing, especially when mated to aluminum threads.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 10-20-21, 06:58 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Thanks for that source for titanium hardware! For several years I have purchased the odd titanium bits from Toronto Cycles and have been quite happy with their products. Sadly, the site seems to be closed since the pandemic started. I've replaced a lot of bolts, brake hardware, chainring bolts and crank hardware (below) with titanium on my "winter" bike... titanium doesn't corrode!

Original stainless steel hardware on the left; titanium replacements on the right,
Old 10-20-21, 07:49 PM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by sweeks
For several years I have purchased the odd titanium bits from Toronto Cycles and have been quite happy with their products. Sadly, the site seems to be closed since the pandemic started.
I had bookmarked Toronto Cycles a few years back, never ordered from them, but they had a great website for colored, anodized connectors. When I saw Tomm's post I looked them up and was sorry to see that they had closed during the pandemic, and maybe permanently, who knows? It must be hard to make a business from customers who order two or four water bottle bolts.
Likes For BCDrums: