Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Walmart's best!

Old 10-14-21, 04:25 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 202 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I've been over the bar twice getting humiliated and all. It never stopped me from using the front brake like a maniac.

Front brake don't kill. It has always been going too fast for the circumstances presented.
I pretty much have the same bike. The brakes don't work very well so there's no way you're gonna go over the handlebars if you hit the front brake all the sudden. The only thing that's gonna happen is you coming to a slow stop.
Old 10-16-21, 02:30 PM
grant40

Originally Posted by grant40
I pretty much have the same bike. The brakes don't work very well so there's no way you're gonna go over the handlebars if you hit the front brake all the sudden. The only thing that's gonna happen is you coming to a slow stop.
Not bad, although I'm definitely needing strong brakes especially at the front since I ride at bike courier speed in the city, just a bit faster than commuter but not suicidally fast. My $200 gravel bike (Walmart quality) has stock mechanical disc brakes which is strong enough to lift the rear wheel. But I've setup the saddle to have geometry like "crank forward" beach cruiser or semi-recumbent. Halfway through there using a modified Rinsten spring seat suspension. Makes it considerably more resistant to end over and reduces chance of locking the rear brakes too, overall shorter braking distance, good for urban safety.
Mine takes a long distance to stop. Pretty much it takes longer to stop than all of my vintage roadbikes.
Likes For grant40:
Old 10-16-21, 10:14 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 251 Posts
Grant is not correct about the simple old style side pull caliper brakes that are featured on the Kent GENESIS SABER / Kent GMC DENALI 700C 21 speed bicycles.
Properly adjusted, they do stop the bicycle better than the typical Raleigh, Schwinn, or any other marque employing Weinmann side pull calipers and the typical 40mm pad on their factory steel wheels. These Kent GENESIS SABER & Kent GMC DENALI bikes are the exact same as already mentioned, as the licensing deal with General Motors ended. Grant does not know what he's talking about regarding these specific no-name side pulls seen on these particular Kent Genesis Saber & Kent GMC Denali bikes. Perhaps Grant himself does not know how to properly set-up a side pull caliper. I don't think this is the case. I believe is that Grant is only telling you half-truths to further bash without merit, the otherwise reasonably good quality at the lowest price spectrum, Kent GENESIS SABER & Kent GMC Denali 700C 21 speed bicycles. Grant knows that the brake pad surface area on GMC Denali & GENESIS SABER bikes are considerably larger in surface area than the old 40mm size pads seen on ancient Vintage bikes. I contend that with decent pads installed and properly adjusted, the no-name side pull calipers WILL STOP Those Kent bikes as good or better than any 1970's era sidepulls with 40 mm size pads did on any aluminum wheel!! Sure, perhaps how the doofuses at Wallyworld assembled & set up the bike might not provide decent enough braking, but that isn't the fault of the equipment, as it is simply due to the imbecile who may have assembled the bike from the carton. Now, certainly the quality of the brake pads that come with the bike from the factory may be inexcuseably bad, compared with other potential replacement pads, or what they could have provided as original equipment pads. Certainly only a complete numbskull does not realize that better replacement brake pads can be obtained for about $15.
That is certainly less costly than changing the pedals or the seat. The Kent GMC Denali/ Kent Genesis Saber is a very durable, quality bicycle which provides a nice ride with good braking and excellent stable handling. Certainly at approx. 31 pounds total weight, it is not light but it does weigh about the same or less than some very popular 1970's Raleigh, Peugeot, and SCHWINN Le Tour models. The KENT Genesis Saber (formerly known as the Kent GMC Denali) is a great value and a very solid bicycle which will last. Yes, it is incredible that WALLYWORLD does sell such a bicycle. Fifteen consecutive years of this bicycle being offered and hundreds of thousands sold, with most of them still in operation. It has proven to be the near-perfect bicycle for those who want to ride anywhere. Certainly, you can say that this bicycle is the 21st Century VARSITY, without the relatively expensive price tag of visiting the Schwinn dealer to purchase the VARSITY back then. Basic bicycles are relatively simple You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. You don't need a 23 pound or less bicycle if you're not needing to fly in a tri, or really feel the need for speed. Yeah, you might want a detailed weather report if you're planning on piloting your Cessna to Dallas later today, but if you're just needing to drive to the grocery store to buy milk, bananas, eggs, bread, and paper towels, you can usually just look out the window or step out on to the porch and look at the sky and see if any threatening weather is likely to impact during your drive to and from.
Those KENT Genesis Saber (formerly known as Kent GMC Denali) bicycles do everything that any new basic bicycle from a LOCAL BIKE SHOP will do for the bicycle rider that is not intending to ride fast, and not trying to dance like Lance. For those bicycle consumers, the Kent Genesis Saber and Kent GMC Denali cannot be beat. It is an extraordinary value and a very decent bicycle at an incredible price and it is from WALLYWORLD!!

Last edited by Vintage Schwinn; 10-16-21 at 10:21 PM.
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 10-17-21, 04:47 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
Grant is not correct about the simple old style side pull caliper brakes that are featured on the Kent GENESIS SABER / Kent GMC DENALI 700C 21 speed bicycles.
Properly adjusted, they do stop the bicycle better than the typical Raleigh, Schwinn, or any other marque employing Weinmann side pull calipers and the typical 40mm pad on their factory steel wheels. These Kent GENESIS SABER & Kent GMC DENALI bikes are the exact same as already mentioned, as the licensing deal with General Motors ended.Grant does not know what he's talking aboutregarding these specific no-name side pulls seen on these particular Kent Genesis Saber & Kent GMC Denali bikes. Perhaps Grant himself does not know how to properly set-up a side pull caliper. I don't think this is the case. I believe is that Grant is only telling you half-truths to further bash without merit, the otherwise reasonably good quality at the lowest price spectrum, Kent GENESIS SABER & Kent GMC Denali 700C 21 speed bicycles. Grant knows that the brake pad surface area on GMC Denali & GENESIS SABER bikes are considerably larger in surface area than the old 40mm size pads seen on ancient Vintage bikes. I contend that with decent pads installed and properly adjusted, the no-name side pull calipers WILL STOP Those Kent bikes as good or better than any 1970's era sidepulls with 40 mm size pads did on any aluminum wheel!! Sure, perhaps how the doofuses at Wallyworld assembled & set up the bike might not provide decent enough braking, but that isn't the fault of the equipment, as it is simply due to the imbecile who may have assembled the bike from the carton. Now, certainly the quality of the brake pads that come with the bike from the factory may be inexcuseably bad, compared with other potential replacement pads, or what they could have provided as original equipment pads. Certainly only a complete numbskull does not realize that better replacement brake pads can be obtained for about $15.
That is certainly less costly than changing the pedals or the seat. The Kent GMC Denali/ Kent Genesis Saber is a very durable, quality bicycle which provides a nice ride with good braking and excellent stable handling. Certainly at approx. 31 pounds total weight, it is not light but it does weigh about the same or less than some very popular 1970's Raleigh, Peugeot, and SCHWINN Le Tour models. The KENT Genesis Saber (formerly known as the Kent GMC Denali) is a great value and a very solid bicycle which will last. Yes, it is incredible that WALLYWORLD does sell such a bicycle. Fifteen consecutive years of this bicycle being offered and hundreds of thousands sold, with most of them still in operation. It has proven to be the near-perfect bicycle for those who want to ride anywhere. Certainly, you can say that this bicycle is the 21st Century VARSITY, without the relatively expensive price tag of visiting the Schwinn dealer to purchase the VARSITY back then. Basic bicycles are relatively simple You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. You don't need a 23 pound or less bicycle if you're not needing to fly in a tri, or really feel the need for speed. Yeah, you might want a detailed weather report if you're planning on piloting your Cessna to Dallas later today, but if you're just needing to drive to the grocery store to buy milk, bananas, eggs, bread, and paper towels, you can usually just look out the window or step out on to the porch and look at the sky and see if any threatening weather is likely to impact during your drive to and from.
Those KENT Genesis Saber (formerly known as Kent GMC Denali) bicycles do everything that any new basic bicycle from a LOCAL BIKE SHOP will do for the bicycle rider that is not intending to ride fast, and not trying to dance like Lance. For those bicycle consumers, the Kent Genesis Saber and Kent GMC Denali cannot be beat. It is an extraordinary value and a very decent bicycle at an incredible price and it is from WALLYWORLD!!
Yep. The bikes don't interest me much but the interplay of OP and the other is fascinating.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 10-17-21 at 04:50 AM.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-17-21, 05:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yep. The bikes don't interest me much but the interplay of OP and the other is fascinating.
https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Battle_of_Denali
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-17-21, 02:22 PM
grant40

Wow, is yours an old model bike? Looks like new. Yes, the caliper rim brakes on cheaper bikes tend to be weak, unless it's V-brake.

Cheap mechanical disc or V-brakes still gives strong braking. The only problem with cheap mechanical disc brakes, is the dangerous and unpredictable "unsqueeze" behavior when the caliper bearings leave the slots (you suddenly lose the brake without warning).

All the cheap Walmart quality all-mechanical disc brakes have the same problem. There is of course a simple solution to the problem, the caliper housing should be adjusted so the side with the lever is much closer to the disc rotor and replace the brake pads when the lever arm is only 20mm away from the barrel adjuster when you press the brake lever to apply the brakes. Also buy the thickest replacement pads you can find.

Not sure if the mechanical Shimano disc brakes have the same problem but pretty sure the full hydraulic or mechanically actuated hydraulic caliper disc brake should not have this dangerous problem.
It is brand new. I have it all taken apart now. I did put some nicer brake levers on the handlebars and I'm going to rewrap the bars so the cables but the cables go underneath the tape. My plan is to put some really cheap indexing stem shifters on it and you and use cross brake levers on the top of the handlebars. I want this bike to be very practical and durable.
Old 10-17-21, 02:24 PM
grant40

Properly adjusted, they do stop the bicycle better than the typical Raleigh, Schwinn, or any other marque employing Weinmann side pull calipers and the typical 40mm pad on their factory steel wheels. These Kent GENESIS SABER & Kent GMC DENALI bikes are the exact same as already mentioned, as the licensing deal with General Motors ended. Grant does not know what he's talking about regarding these specific no-name side pulls seen on these particular Kent Genesis Saber & Kent GMC Denali bikes. Perhaps Grant himself does not know how to properly set-up a side pull caliper. I don't think this is the case. I believe is that Grant is only telling you half-truths to further bash without merit, the otherwise reasonably good quality at the lowest price spectrum, Kent GENESIS SABER & Kent GMC Denali 700C 21 speed bicycles. Grant knows that the brake pad surface area on GMC Denali & GENESIS SABER bikes are considerably larger in surface area than the old 40mm size pads seen on ancient Vintage bikes. I contend that with decent pads installed and properly adjusted, the no-name side pull calipers WILL STOP Those Kent bikes as good or better than any 1970's era sidepulls with 40 mm size pads did on any aluminum wheel!! Sure, perhaps how the doofuses at Wallyworld assembled & set up the bike might not provide decent enough braking, but that isn't the fault of the equipment, as it is simply due to the imbecile who may have assembled the bike from the carton. Now, certainly the quality of the brake pads that come with the bike from the factory may be inexcuseably bad, compared with other potential replacement pads, or what they could have provided as original equipment pads. Certainly only a complete numbskull does not realize that better replacement brake pads can be obtained for about $15.
I just got the bike to ride the school. If the brake levers were really stiff so that is probably why it will not stop. There seems to be a lot of friction in the braking system. I'm gonna replace both cables and the levers on it today. I already threw some much nicer levers on this bike and I'm going to get rid of the original ones. Hopefully that will work.
Old 10-17-21, 02:28 PM
grant40

Also, I do have a couple of bikes with the vintage side pull brakes that I set up myself, and they work really well. As I said I'm guessing it has something to do with friction in the cables and the housings making it harder to stop which is something I am definitely going to replace. I have never owed any of is any of these roadbikes from Walmart before so I don't know anything about them besides what I've experienced. I just assumed like most cyclists that Walmart equals bad.
Old 10-19-21, 02:56 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Wall of text.
As with the previous post... TLDR
Likes For teejaywhy:
Old 10-20-21, 08:40 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott

Did no one in the art department realize that they had flipped all the decals when they decided to make this guy ride in the other direction?

Have some pride in your work, fellas!
Could benefit from raising his saddle a few feet... plus what's up with his index finger? Or left foot?

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I will ridicule the bike, the people who made it, the people who sort of wrote and almost translated the ad copy----because the whole thing was a pure crap job. Anyone who laid out the money to actually build the thing wasted that money, and anyone who bought one .... nothing good to say about that person. Anyone who tried to ride that bike would know in an instant that it is unsafe at any speed.--- that "instant" being when they wanted to stop and get off.

I will heap mockery on anyone in any way associated with the product,. including the "reviewers on this site---including myself. Why not? As you can all attest, I am a humble man.

Like this but applied to the bike:
We are all a little bit dumber now for having even looked at this bike
Likes For autonomy:
Old 10-20-21, 11:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I will ridicule the bike, the people who made it, the people who sort of wrote and almost translated the ad copy----because the whole thing was a pure crap job. Anyone who laid out the money to actually build the thing wasted that money, and anyone who bought one .... nothing good to say about that person. Anyone who tried to ride that bike would know in an instant that it is unsafe at any speed.--- that "instant" being when they wanted to stop and get off.

I will heap mockery on anyone in any way associated with the product,. including the "reviewers on this site---including myself. Why not? As you can all attest, I am a humble man.

Originally Posted by autonomy

Like this but applied to the bike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
We are all a little bit dumber now for having even looked at this bike

So, I'll ask you the same question I asked Maelochs -- do you laugh at old people who pay money to scammers? If this bike is as bad as we all think it is, the buyers are victims, why would we want to make fun of them?
Old 10-20-21, 02:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7618 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
Dude ... I am laughing at YOU right now.

Untwist your panties if you find they are cutting off blood flow or causing other discomfort.

I have seen you get into numerous petty urinating matches here ... you cannot claim the moral high ground in a septic tank and be surprised no one wants to jump ion and worship you.

Some days you just need a good bowel movement or something .... instead you come here and decide to tell everyone else how great you are. We tolerate it, are sometimes mildly amused and sometimes mildly frustrated, because when you finally get whatever it6 is you need or get whatever was bothering you out of your system, you have a lot of good stuff to say.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-20-21, 03:46 PM
grant40

Old 10-20-21, 07:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Gotta say, I can't imagine anything that screams "I need people to know I'm great" more than picking on people for buying something "smart guys" don't approve of.

Well, that and posters who can't resist using the royal "we" when they're speaking only for themselves.

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-20-21 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-20-21, 09:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
The outrage hasn't calmed. Maybe by next week it will have subsided.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-21-21, 04:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The outrage hasn't calmed. Maybe by next week it will have subsided.

Zzzzzzzz.
Old 10-21-21, 05:51 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
The whole "Gravel bike" trend has run its course, and now we all need a Wasteland bike. Somebody needs to start a new thread titled "Best Wasteland tires?"
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 10-21-21, 06:39 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11862 Post(s)
Liked 6,444 Times in 3,390 Posts
Is there something about your device OS that automatically removes the blank lines and paragraph breaks? You have GOT to do better than this. Don’t you want people to read your posts? Who the hell wants to read stuff like this?

And the rest of you guys need to stop this constant squabbling, we are not giving out cookies for the winner of these passing contests.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 10-21-21, 06:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
The whole "Gravel bike" trend has run its course, and now we all need a Wasteland bike. Somebody needs to start a new thread titled "Best Wasteland tires?"
You're going to have to have different subcategories, based on the type of wasteland.

The wasteland bike concept requires quite a bit of adaptability to different forms. Some are going to require radiation shielding, others will have to be protected from corrosive agents.

The teenage wasteland tires could have a compartment built in to carry Narcan.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-21-21, 03:19 PM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You're going to have to have different subcategories, based on the type of wasteland.

The wasteland bike concept requires quite a bit of adaptability to different forms. Some are going to require radiation shielding, others will have to be protected from corrosive agents.

The teenage wasteland tires could have a compartment built in to carry Narcan.
There are some good ideas in this short film.

Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 10-25-21, 12:35 AM
SurferRosa
Banned

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3844 Post(s)
Liked 6,434 Times in 3,181 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Wall of text.
As with the previous post... TLDR
But does he do kitchens? I need to replace the wallpaper in there...
Likes For SurferRosa:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.