Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

front derailleur hanger is broken

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-17-21, 09:37 AM
philsch
PedalForever

Bikes: Two Fuji SST10 road bikes (I bought a second one when I was racing for backup) as well as a cross bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While riding my 2010 Fuji SST 1.0 road bike the front derailleur started clicking and the next thing I knew the front derailleur hanger was torn in half. I imagine since the bike is 11 years old Fuji no longer offers the part. The derailleur hanger is riveted onto the carbon fiber tube which is ovalized in shape so I cannot use a clamp-on style hanger. Any idea where I might be able to find the correct hanger?
Old 10-17-21, 09:47 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Photos would be really useful here.

If the riveted hanger has failed, then you have a potentially scrap frame, as getting it repaired could be cost prohibitive. Have you been to a good LBS to ask for an opinion?

For carbon repair, Calfee are 'near' you, maybe worth contacting them, it's a couple of hours drive, but the cost of taking vs shipping may come in similar

Carbon Repair – Calfee Design
Likes For jimc101:
Old 10-17-21, 02:31 PM
philsch
PedalForever

Bikes: Two Fuji SST10 road bikes (I bought a second one when I was racing for backup) as well as a cross bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
derailleur hanger

If I can get a new hanger then I can simply remove the existing rivets and reattach it. That's a job that I can easily do myself but finding the hanger is the question. One possibility is to machine a new hanger out of aluminum but it would be very time consuming.

The frame is too good to scrap. The bike weighs 15 lb fully assembled and I love the way it handles.
Old 10-17-21, 02:38 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by philsch
If I can get a new hanger then I can simply remove the existing rivets and reattach it. That's a job that I can easily do myself but finding the hanger is the question. One possibility is to machine a new hanger out of aluminum but it would be very time consuming.

The frame is too good to scrap. The bike weighs 15 lb fully assembled and I love the way it handles.
if you can drill out the old rivets and securely rivet on a new hanger, then fabricating a replacement sounds like a fun project. A bit of Al from Lowe’s and some quality time in the garage to save a well-liked frame? That’s a no-brainer IMO
Old 10-17-21, 02:40 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 734 Posts
If I can get a new hanger then I can simply remove the existing rivets and reattach it. That's a job that I can easily do myself but finding the hanger is the question.
Yes, that will be the hard part. Maybe check some new bikes in shops to find a match for the seat tube shape and order one as many mfrs offer replacements on newer bikes. Also try contacting FUJI. I wouldn't bet any money they could help you but worth a try.
Old 10-17-21, 02:52 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I'd contact Fuji on the chance that they just might have that front derailleur hanger you need. I've found a lot of times a simple question to the manufacturer gets me exactly what I need.

Good luck and cheers
Old 10-18-21, 10:09 AM
philsch
PedalForever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Yes, that will be the hard part. Maybe check some new bikes in shops to find a match for the seat tube shape and order one as many mfrs offer replacements on newer bikes. Also try contacting FUJI. I wouldn't bet any money they could help you but worth a try.
Fuji responded very quickly and told me what I expected.....they don't have the part available. I was hoping the hanger was not a one-off design. Online there are Cervelo front hangers with rivets available. The four rivet hole will not match up but I think I can successfully fill the existing holes with epoxy putty and drill four new ones for the Cervelo mount.
Old 10-18-21, 10:33 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
The four rivet hole will not match up but I think I can successfully fill the existing holes with epoxy putty and drill four new ones for the Cervelo mount.
Why not drill the Cervello hanger to match the holes in the frame? Are the frame holes too damaged to reuse?
Old 10-18-21, 11:07 AM
philsch
PedalForever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Why not drill the Cervello hanger to match the holes in the frame? Are the frame holes too damaged to reuse?
The plate that sits against the frame is not wide enough to cover the existing rivet holes. One possibility is to weld a new, wider plate to the back of the new mount but that may not be possible as the high strength aluminum alloys (2xxx and 7xxx series) are not weldable. I suspect the hanger is more likely made of a weldable alloy like 6061 but won't know till I get it.
Old 10-20-21, 02:40 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2716 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,024 Posts
See if FUJI has a drawing of the hanger so you can fab one.
Old 10-20-21, 03:59 PM
philsch
PedalForever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
See if FUJI has a drawing of the hanger so you can fab one.
Thanks for the thought. I have a second SST 1.0 which has an undamaged mount so I can always take the measurements off that if need be. I think my first course of action will be to try and repair the torn mount. I will have to drill out the 4 rivets, fab the piece that was torn off the mount and weld it on. I have welded a fair amount of aluminum but I am an amateur so I will probably get a professional who is well versed with aluminum to do it.