Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Got Our First Folding Bikes!

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 10-20-21, 05:41 PM
bike eagle
On The Road Again

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts

Hi folks.

I am a recent retiree, and my wife an I are currently waiting to take delivery of a new motor home, but it is delayed by supply chain issues. In anticipation of enjoying biking in various places around the country, I have been researching folding bike options. Since we've never owned folders before, I was hesitant to pull the trigger on something very expensive until after giving this type of bike a try. So after much reading and watching YouTube videos, I pulled the trigger and ordered two of these:

https://www.costco.com/zizzo-liberte...100483464.html

In particular, this guy convinced me of the values in the Zizzo bikes:

We are Costco members, and their fantastic return policy allows us to give these bikes plenty of test riding before deciding whether to take them with us on the road or to go with something else. Eventually, I plan to get one of the Brompton models, but for now the Zizzos will be a good first attempt. The bikes were just delivered to our front door, so I'll probably unbox them sometime tomorrow when I have a chance. Until then, here's a pic:

I guess you can tell, I'm pretty excited!

Last edited by bike eagle; 10-20-21 at 05:46 PM.
Likes For bike eagle:
Old 10-21-21, 05:01 PM
bike eagle
On The Road Again

More pics! Here is one of the bikes unboxed:

And here it is unfolded:

Looks good!
Likes For bike eagle:
Old 10-21-21, 05:14 PM
bike eagle
On The Road Again

Also, I found this in the little box with the owner's manual and the wrench. Does anyone know what it is and what it's for? Thanks!

Old 10-22-21, 01:40 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 92 Posts
The last image sorta looks like a 8 mm (or 9/16") finger wrench, maybe for pedals.

Last edited by BikeLite; 10-22-21 at 02:01 AM.
Old 10-23-21, 07:47 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I would be interested in knowing how those folders handle with the small diameter wheels.
We are actually interested in ebikes with the 20"x4" wheels.
-We have owned RVs in the past when I was travelling to distant job sites and loved it. You must really be looking forward to taking delivery of that new motorhome.
Old 10-23-21, 08:18 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked 1,570 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by bike eagle
Also, I found this in the little box with the owner's manual and the wrench. Does anyone know what it is and what it's for? Thanks!

It for bearing pre-load of the crankset. Shimano Hollowtech knock-off of sufficiently different execution to avoid patent lawyers.

It looks like you got a Dahon clone.
Likes For base2:
Old 10-27-21, 09:03 AM
bike eagle
On The Road Again

Originally Posted by surveyor6
I would be interested in knowing how those folders handle with the small diameter wheels.
We are actually interested in ebikes with the 20"x4" wheels.
-We have owned RVs in the past when I was travelling to distant job sites and loved it. You must really be looking forward to taking delivery of that new motorhome.
Unfortunately I don't think folding bikes are going to work for us after all. My wife doesn't like how they handle, and I'm just a little too tall to ride it. I think for us just traveling with our regular bikes on a rack will be the best option. Definitely test ride before buying if you can, or at least purchase from a retailer with a good return policy.

And yes, we are excited about getting a motor home, but the delivery has been delayed to at least early 2022. Sigh. Anyway, I think folding bikes are great for certain applications, but just won't work for us.
Old 10-28-21, 05:29 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 92 Posts
It can depend on what you test ride. My first test ride was on a dahon boardwalk that was not in great shape..the handlebars where all over the place moving it seemed. I didn't give up and got a zootr swift...wow what a difference.
Likes For BikeLite: