Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Old 07-28-16, 04:05 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2178 Post(s)
Liked 4,479 Times in 1,731 Posts
I spent the past week finishing my Roy Thame build. I decided on what I thought would be the nicest selection of parts I had in the bin for a touring bike: Brooks Pro saddle, MAFAC brakes, TA triple crank set, SunTour Cyclone derailleurs, Simplex Retrofriction shift levers, Weinmann concave rims on ZEUS hubs, Nitto B135 bars and Campagnolo Chorus pedals.

The first try was with my default 28mm folding Paselas. Hadn't mounted the front one yet in this picture:

I took the bike along in the back of the car last weekend for a trip to the coast and had just reached highway cruising speed as the front tire blew off the rim with a rather loud bang in the back seat. Forgot to properly check the rims for hooks. There weren't any, really. They do make a lot of noise, BTW, those 105 PSI's, when they escape all at once.

Anyway, I was really set on riding the bike, so I raided a local bike shop for some new tires. The most interesting pair he had were 37mm Continental SportContacts. I rode around on them all Sunday, and they are pretty comfy, but they also feel a bit sluggish, compared to narrower tires at a higher pressure. They're twice as heavy as the Paselas, and gave the bike a sort of a wannabe 29-er look:

So I ended up putting in another set of wheels with 30mm Challenge Strada Biancas, which I like better. I took it out for a spirited 10k ride tonight, and I'm now pretty happy with it.

Old 07-29-16, 08:46 AM
PeregrineA1 

Bikes: Wizard, Eisentraut, Paramount, Litton, Turner, Surley, Trek, Kona, Landshark, Hujsak, Masi, Tesch, Holland, Retrotec, Spectrum

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike related, mostly cleaning and lubing chains.....and riding. I have a Colnago Super on the stand that I am cleaning up for a friend, but it has mostly been too hot to work in the garage. So it sits and waits. Parts are being gathered for some builds this winter and I occasionally will just sit and look at the Colnago, or another project, while having a beer.

The house has been demanding of time as well. A new mantle is going on the fireplace and we are selecting stain color for that this weekend.

My other passion is also calling this time of year. The boat required resealing of the engine trim and tilt cylinders, replacement of the RADAR dome, and next is troubleshooting the GPS antenna. The tuna are here!
Old 07-30-16, 09:17 AM
rickrob 

Bikes: 75 Raleigh Gran Sport, 88 Bridgestone RB3, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 75 Jeunet 620, 95 Fuji Team

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
I've been working on this build-- A 1982 Univega Sportour. I saw another Univega on this site that was white /red and I like the way it looked and that was how this got started. Repainted the frame as close as I could get to the original white and decals from VeloCals.

I'm not sure, but from what I've read here I think this frame may have been built by Miyata.

Suntour Vx drive train and Hubs with Sun CR-18 Rims, Avocet Seat Post, Origin 8 Saddle. Road Champion Randonneur bars and Weinmann Carrera Brakes. KKT Pro Vic pedals. I believe the shifters are Suntour Cyclone Mk1.

Sugino Super Maxy Crank 52/39 I think.

Just need to put the chain on and make the final adjustments.

Last edited by rickrob; 07-30-16 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-30-16, 10:42 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Ouch. May it get better quickly!

I had a chainring grab a finger some months ago. Took a bite out, I can tell you, not pleasant.
Chainrings...while leaning against the top tube and having the front wheel kick out, I maintained balance but in the messy process had the big ring rake the back of my calf. Looked like a grizzly swatted my leg. Man, that hurt and still have a few scars.
Old 07-30-16, 10:46 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 313 Posts
Just finished polishing, lubing and truing a tubular wheelset off of a '72 Jeunet to put on the gorgeous Cinnamon Girl...
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-30-16, 12:22 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
bastid....

See you in 2 weeks....

Originally Posted by crank_addict
Also have an eeny meeny miny moe thing with these two>

[IMG]DSC_0744 by carrera247, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 07-30-16, 07:43 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I finally got a rack and a flikstand installed on my 73 world voyageur

Old 07-31-16, 03:04 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1550 Post(s)
Liked 1,998 Times in 981 Posts
A good bit of progress was made on my recently-acquired 1984 Schwinn Super Sport. I picked it up for a very fair price. It had been in a Public Storage type unit for (according to the seller--whole different conversation there) around ten years. Older gentleman owned it.

Everything was in perfect adjustment and seat post, stem, headset and bottom bracket came out/undone with zero issues! I rode it in its "as found" state (with tires pumped up, of course), including the aero bars, and took some photos. Rides nicely. Really cool deep bronze anodized Araya rims. The paint is a stunning ivory pearl, even if the photos don't show that at all. As Schwinn's #3 for that year, there are many good pieces, most notable (to me) being the 144 BCD Sugino AS crankset (#2 ranking), Suntour Superbe Pro shifters (!!), and Araya rims.

The color scheme of this bike comes across as sort of an evolved earth tones '70s scheme with the warm tones and medium grey accent. I aim to keep that theme and add some more Superbe Pro bits as I find them (decent deals only, trying not to ebay this). I snagged some calipers and levers already--levers have some road rash, but they were $5 or $10. Soooo, new hoods and away we go! The bike fit/setup will mimic my Fuji with traditional/old school drop bars that have the drops parallel to the ground with appropriately positioned levers.

The frame I finished compounding and waxing today. Installed the (overhauled) headset and bottom bracket. Who knew that quality old components would come into proper adjustment without trouble??? I am really looking forward to getting this done and on the road again!

Old 07-31-16, 06:13 AM
HamboneSlim
real far gone

Bikes: Motobécane Grand Record, Peugeot PR10, Gitane Gran Tourisme, Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
64cm PR10:

Sanding with 600 grit between coats, will decide today if it gets one more coat of orange, or if it's ready for labels and clearcoat. The original orange can be seen on the steer tube. I won't say where I found the color match...

...let's just say it's a common color in these parts, and leave it at that.

While painting the PR10 lugs, I got a bit happy with the black lacquer...

...allegedly. Derailleurs for this bike are SLJs.

And then there's this case:

the saddest TdF.

The Good:
-64cm frame
-Mafac Competition brakes
-Campy NR derailleurs and hubs
-Weinmann 700c rims
-Stronglight 93 crankset

The Bad:
-Delrin shifters
-stem clamp tightened onto bars with a hammer
-solid plastic saddle on steel post
-removal tool ears snapped off of Regina freewheel
-rust everywhere

The Ugly:

getting better:

better still:

mmmm...buttercream. Not a Gitane color, but I like it. With honey leather saddle and bar tape, polished dimpled fenders, racks and bags, it should look pretty classy.

Also have this little project ready for paint today:

Oliver 30" portable band saw. It's "portable" because the new-fangled electrical motor means it isn't tied to a lineshaft, and can therefor be placed anywhere in the shop. Even the motor is portable; it's designed to slide out, so you can use it in other Oliver machines, rather than have to buy a separate motor for each machine. What'll they think of next, eh? It's all cleaned and ready for paint today.

Medium-sized bits are already painted. Just the wee bits still have to be cleaned up in the wire wheel. The wheels have new tires, still need to be crowned. I plan to mount the wheels to the outboard wood lathe spindle, and mount an angle grinder with a sanding disc onto the outboard turning rest. Should be interesting.
Old 07-31-16, 06:48 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Looks like a Trek, but that's an educated guess.....

Originally Posted by crank_addict
Backed off the cycling mileage and kitchen project, rather trapped into a beast of a project here. Only exercise is swimming laps at 9:00 in the evening. Wife is rolling her eyes...
cheer's

[IMG]DSC_0805 by carrera247, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then this for a fellow forum member. From the rubber on up to the saddle. Got to have it ready in two weeks. Ttt.....
[IMG]DSC_0791 (2) by carrera247, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_0798 by carrera247, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_0790 (2) by carrera247, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_0801 by carrera247, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 07-31-16, 06:48 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 141 Posts
Did some work on the Serotta CSI I picked up.

Put on Vittoria Open Paves. Dirt cheap and 700x27. Just lovely tires.

Also, installed a Nitto Pearl, a Campy Record seatpost, a Brooks Swift and a Carradice Barley.

Taped the bars with Fizik and it looks ok.

Put on twin Niterider 750s I bought on our local CL and a new Nitetrider Solas rear blinkie.

Also, I swapped the Wellgo pedals for some XTs.

The bike is a bit of a hodgepodge right now, but I can't wait to ride it out to Stillwater for lunch today.

It's still a single speed, but the only real hills are by our house in St. Paul so I should be just fine.
Old 07-31-16, 07:16 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Nothing C&V, been working 11 hours a day and commuting an hour each way. No rest for the wicked, no wrenching except for cehowardGS's monster truck mtb's. (really, a 22" Raleigh M50 that is bigger than my car.)

However, two 20-something ladies, both quite fit (and confident enough to dress accordingly) showed up at my garage entrance. One had a pair of Fuji's, consisting of a 2004 Team road bike and an Aloha CF 2.0 tri-bike. The other had a 2006 Team road bike, newly acquired from CL.

The task was to combine the two Fuji's into one for the first lady, who wanted to keep the TT/Tri Aloha frame and have the best road bike possible. For the novice, a simply Robbie tune would do. I agreed, and after a week of complicating things in my mind, the fit on the tri-to-road bike seemed the biggest challenge, along with my very rusty wrenching skills (taking liberty with the word).

I started yesterday, when the fan kept the garage to a nice manageable 93 degrees. Kind of a low-intensity sweat session. First thing I did was weigh their wheels sans tires, comparing them to my stash, so they get the lightest and best of the bunch for their type of riding. An hour later, they had new tires on their original wheels, but at least now I know.

I thought better of attacking the 2 into 1 scenario, so I went at the CL Fuji Team, a nice full carbon bike with 105 drive train and affordable but decent other componentry. Stem swap and flip, seat post swap, saddle, tire change, cable lube and adjustment, brake pad replacement (had to cut grooves in my bulk replacement pads for the secure screws), and then an unwrap and re-wrap. Testing proved it's quiet and works very well. However, that was a 2+ hour job.

Shower and change, ice cream break. Then, go to the 2-1 scenario. Keeping it simple worked, but disassembly of a tri-bike needs to be done slowly, as the cart can easily precede the horse. Some things can't be changed, like aero seat posts, and after a foray into the parts box, we were at a DA RD, Ultegra FD, and the 5600 shifters that have always performed on par with the 6600, in my opinion. I had to find a suitable stem, spacers, and a bar, but that worked out. A slow strip of each bike to where I was ready to reassemble the one. As many of you can relate, "swapping" is basically stripping down two bikes and then assembling 2 bikes, from scratch. This was about 60% of that, I suppose. I realized some tri-bikes use a brake cable I've not seen, has an end like a shifter cable. Learn something every day.

By day's end, I'd wrenched about 6 hours, completely soaking two sets of clothes, and I've yet to wash down, dry off, and re-lube each bike, then adjust the cable/RD on one.

I think I could have done this in 3 hours 6 months ago, but at least I didn't lose any parts under the car or the workbench.

and so ends this chapter.
Old 07-31-16, 10:30 AM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Just swapped the full stock bar assembly (steel stem and handlebar, Deore LX trigger shifters, brake levers, grips, and all cabling) from my girlfriend's early 1990s Schwinn PDG MTB for a drop bar assembly with quill adapter, Ritchey stem, ITM race bar, Tektro levers, yellow Fizik, Spurcycle bell. Looks good, but not yet functional.

Need to set up new cabling and install some Shimano bar-end shifters to run the old 7sp LX drive train.

With the heavy steel stock stem and bar there, I think I must've dropped ~3-4lbs off the complete bike with the swap!

Setup fenders as well. Also needs a rack...but the girlfriend needs to come down to the shop I work at to have a hand in selection.

Work scheduled for completion on my day off, Monday.

Monday is also much-anticipated pickup date for my new Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross frame (V5, 62cm, PINK!)

Frame set, Bruce Gordon Rock N Road tires, 2x Black Mountain Cycles 26oz water bottles are waiting for me in Point Roberts, WA.

Have been dutifully assembling components for the build, and will no doubt launch straight into wrenching on that one beside the old PDG mountain bike by tomorrow evening.
Old 07-31-16, 11:31 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 225 Posts
Just finishing up a Centurion Mixte dlx restoration.
I sand blasted the frame and repainted it Rustoleum Burgundy and it is going to be a real stunner.

It has upright bars and Araya wheels with 1 1/8 x 27 gumwalls and the original drive train with Suntour Honour rd and Spirt fd which is in great condition and a suntour perfect 6 speed freewheel with 14-30 gears. Everything has been cleaned and all brightwork polished and all that is left to do is replace the Suntour power shift stem mount shifters with either Shimano or Sunrace friction thumbies. They are so easy to use , I have them on all my bikes. I also bought decals for the down tube. Her name is Duchess.
Old 07-31-16, 12:08 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3054 Post(s)
Liked 6,319 Times in 3,658 Posts
I picked up this Miyata 100 back in April at the Ann Arbor Swap Meet. I'm a sucker for a bright blue bike. I didn't have any concrete plans for it, although I thought that maybe I'd make it into a gravel bike. It was languishing in the garage when my daughter asked if I had a bike I could sell to her boyfriend. So, I'm now overhauling it for him so he can ride with her. It's mostly stock but I had to change out the crank set as someone had tried to thread a non drive side pedal onto the drive side crank arm. Good to have spare parts around the garage.

Old 07-31-16, 12:26 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Looks like a Trek, but that's an educated guess.....
Yessir, and he's got me at the wrong time doing this one. Nothing like like waiting until the last moment.... He's also got some issue whether to powdercoat or paint. IMO, because of the blem's, its candidate for paint. But that means cure time. I can spray with a two part urethane and have it quickly setup, but still prefer a good month before clamping components. We shall see.

Anyways, later today will prep the Nago' for the Dare. Out goes the weight weenie Zeus 2k ally 5 speed freewheel and on its spin time for a Regina Oro six speed (circa 1982) steel cogset w/ 30T. This meaning swapping axle and spacer plus careful work to use with a N. Record derailleur. Yee ha!

[IMG]DSC_0817 by carrera247, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_0818 by carrera247, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by crank_addict; 07-31-16 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-31-16, 12:31 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by HamboneSlim
64cm PR10:

Sanding with 600 grit between coats, will decide today if it gets one more coat of orange, or if it's ready for labels and clearcoat. The original orange can be seen on the steer tube. I won't say where I found the color match...

...let's just say it's a common color in these parts, and leave it at that.

While painting the PR10 lugs, I got a bit happy with the black lacquer...

...allegedly. Derailleurs for this bike are SLJs.

And then there's this case:

the saddest TdF.

The Good:
-64cm frame
-Mafac Competition brakes
-Campy NR derailleurs and hubs
-Weinmann 700c rims
-Stronglight 93 crankset

The Bad:
-Delrin shifters
-stem clamp tightened onto bars with a hammer
-solid plastic saddle on steel post
-removal tool ears snapped off of Regina freewheel
-rust everywhere

The Ugly:

better still:

mmmm...buttercream. Not a Gitane color, but I like it. With honey leather saddle and bar tape, polished dimpled fenders, racks and bags, it should look pretty classy.

Oliver 30" portable band saw. It's "portable" because the new-fangled electrical motor means it isn't tied to a lineshaft, and can therefor be placed anywhere in the shop. Even the motor is portable; it's designed to slide out, so you can use it in other Oliver machines, rather than have to buy a separate motor for each machine. What'll they think of next, eh? It's all cleaned and ready for paint today.

Medium-sized bits are already painted. Just the wee bits still have to be cleaned up in the wire wheel. The wheels have new tires, still need to be crowned. I plan to mount the wheels to the outboard wood lathe spindle, and mount an angle grinder with a sanding disc onto the outboard turning rest. Should be interesting.
Supa COOL schtuff! Nice work!
Old 07-31-16, 01:33 PM
Ed.

Bikes: 1938 Raleigh Record Ace (2), 1938 Schwinn Paramount, 1961 Torpado, 1964? Frejus, 1980 Raleigh 753 Team Pro, Moulton, other stuff...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Oliver ....

OMG, my friend Dave would flip out, and more than a few others I know would be excited! I'm only drooling

My current 'major' project:

Old 07-31-16, 02:55 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3447 Post(s)
Liked 2,786 Times in 1,967 Posts

When I took wood shop in junior high, back when there still were shop classes, The Oliver table saw was a piece of equipment I never liked. In college I got to use a SCM Sliding table machine, with the pre saw to reduce tearout and everything… So cool. My favorite machine, I felt in control. In the other classroom shop I at least got a decent fence, those Delta fences were terrible.

I know Oliver has a big following, maybe the stuff I used needed rebuilding?
This reminds me, I really want a Bridgeport vertical mill.
Old 07-31-16, 05:29 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
You gonna put sew ups on the Vette, Ed.? Nice helper you have there, too. Our black, retriever/setter mix (I think those are called droppers in the gun dog world) likes to watch me work on my bikes. Great company while wrenching aren't they?

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 07-31-16, 06:31 PM
HamboneSlim
real far gone

Bikes: Motobécane Grand Record, Peugeot PR10, Gitane Gran Tourisme, Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
When I took wood shop in junior high, back when there still were shop classes, The Oliver table saw was a piece of equipment I never liked. In college I got to use a SCM Sliding table machine, with the pre saw to reduce tearout and everything… So cool. My favorite machine, I felt in control. In the other classroom shop I at least got a decent fence, those Delta fences were terrible.

I know Oliver has a big following, maybe the stuff I used needed rebuilding?
This reminds me, I really want a Bridgeport vertical mill.
I worked in a shop many years ago that had a 14" Oliver saw with a sliding table. All original; rack and pinion fence, quadrant fence for the sliding table, miter gauge. One day I needed to cut some miters and set up the quadrant, it had pins that locked it in place at a 45. I asked an old timer who happened to be walking by, "Is this thing accurate?" "That thing's dead nuts," was the reply. I cut a test joint, and Jos. Starrett concurred with the old timer's assessment. I ended up using that saw all the time, while everyone else went to the Unisaws and Powermatics. Loved that saw. After an accountant embezzled the companies cash, they offered the saw to me. I turned it down, because it was so big and heavy, I had no idea where to keep the thing. A decision I regret to this day.

Everybody needs a Bridgeport! Don't know how I ever got by without one.

My $200 1954 J-head. To the right is an early-30s vintage Gorton pantograph mill; make a template, and it cuts a reduction from 1:1 to 1:12. Makes quick work of inlays.
Old 07-31-16, 06:59 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
Last week I bought a new pair of SPD shoes but no cleats. I have a jar full of extra cleats, but I had left it by the leaky window of the barn. It was a pile of mangled rusted metal. I pulled the pieces apart and brushed them with brass brushes and coated them with wd40. Tomorrow I'll see if I have a couple of usable cleats. This is probably dumb. I should just buy a pair.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-01-16, 12:26 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Today I converted my Peloton's FSA triple carbon crank to a double via chain ring removal and a 109.5mm Octalink BB. The primary motive for this was the Q-factor was wide enough (156mm) that it would always bother me. So that issue was solved, the FD re-tuned. Chain line looks a lot better, and the double crank setup looks sexy.

Unfortunately, my rear wheel decided to not stay put in the drops, a problem that I've NEVER had running 130 OLD axles in it up to this point (external and internal cam QRs). Moderate power or more--no dice. I was planning on visiting some bike shops via bicycle in the area (meaning hills as well as distance) and burned nearly an hour trying to rectify the situation over many tries. I was absolutely furious. I wanted to ride that bike but I had to take the car because I wanted to get places before closing. My (stupid) rear wheel will need to be re-trued now, and I will try Shimano QR skewers and see what happens. Poor Pele'. I will make her better!

Progress continues on the Super Sport! The Sugino 120mm offset BB (spindle-wise) works with the Sugino AS crankset to make a decently narrow Q-factor of 144mm. Throw on some Shimano 600 cranks (6206 or 6400) and the Q-factor is 153/155mm--the very amount I was trying to avoid. My Cannondale's setup with a presumably 110mm spindle and 7400 cranks yields a 140mm measurement which I have no problem with. So I need to find a new narrow JIS BB, which should be easy and pretty cheap, thankfully.

I think Suntour was really onto something with hidden and/or integrated springs on their brake calipers. I picked up Superbe Pro calipers with this feature (great shape, good price) and they are gorgeous. Not to mention their sprung movement is exquisitely smooth. And after finding a newer lower end set of Suntour calipers, it looks like they kept the idea going for a bit. Superbe Pro levers (killer deal, road rash, oh well!!) are hooded and mounted. Now to string up everything brakes-wise. This should give me a really good idea of how the bike will look (aka, oh so very nice).
Old 08-03-16, 10:08 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Also wrenching on a Super Sport. Coming along, finally. Suntour Cyclone M-II, and a cool set of 80's rims I just picked up today. Maillard low flange hubs and Sun eyelet rims. I will mock it up to a rider, and then see how it goes. Then powder coat. There's no lugs to fill in, so a perfect candidate. Yeah, they're a little on the heavy side, but I am starting not to care so much about that anymore. Also building a 79 Fuji S-10-S into a fendered fat tired comfort road bike. Hammered VO fenders, and probably 1 1/4" Pasela TG's.,,,,BD

Super Sport. a 72 model, which originally came in lime green.

Fuji S-10-S Special Road Racer. S/N says 79, but the paint scheme looks a little older. I could be wrong though. The tire and fender clearance on this frame is huge! It has so much clearance on the forks, that it looks like a 57/58cm with the resulting head tube length.

And a finished picture. I still want to put Mafac Racers on it, and I still might...

Last edited by Bikedued; 08-08-16 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-04-16, 02:23 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

I completed my local scouring for a hanger/anchor bolt for a Cyclone rear derailleur that I am planning on mounting to my Super Sport and got a little closer to that goal. That means I am cobbling together make-works, so we'll see how I like it.

While at an LBS that sells used parts (Recycled Cycles), they presented me the Bin of Broken Dreams...er Derailleurs. Of course there are lovely formerly nice RDs in there, and of course 2X there is a Superbe Pro RD (truly what I'm looking for) that's really just missing a few replaceable hardware bits. What a shine to that finish! The text/label was in great shape too. I offered to buy it and take the chance. One of the employees took it to the manager in the back. He did not return with it. Told me they didn't want to sell it. Fair enough, but I hope they rehab it (to use personally or sell)--it worked just fine... I may just have to swap my Superbe Tech RD on the SS then!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.