Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Has anyone built a gravel bike using a Sturmey Archer S3X 3 speed hub?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 01-22-21, 12:26 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts

I'm interested in running a Sturmey Archer S3X 3 speed fixed hub wheel set, but from what I read I could run a freewheel as opposed to using it with a fixed cog. Has anyone tried this on a gravel bike configuration? Unfortunately the hub comes attached to 700 x 18mm rims. Could I safely run 700 x 35-38C tires on that rim width though? Any input or opinions would be welcomed. Thanks!
Old 01-22-21, 12:37 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I have not tried any such thing. what's the OLD dimension on that hub? if it's 120mm, which could limit the frames/ bikes on which you can use it.
Old 01-22-21, 12:41 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
It is a 120mm hub and my bike has a 120mm rear hub spacing, hence the reason I was considering this setup.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 01-23-21, 07:30 PM
colosteve

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I replaced the rear wheel on my single speed bike with a wheel with that hub. Bike was 120mm rear spacing and it bolted right in. I run 32mm Compass tires (maximum I can fit in frame). My bike has rim brakes.

Tire/wheel charts appear that up to a 38mm will work on 18" rim if your frame will take it.

I like the hub. This bike is used mostly for urban city paths, I have ridden on hard packed dirt but not gravel.
Likes For colosteve:
Old 01-24-21, 05:40 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I had one when they first came out. Really really didn't like it, heavy, ratios were too close for the amount of internal friction. You can thread a bmx freewheel onto the body fine, although it just adds more weight. If you're hooked on the IGH idea, I'd just lace up an old Sturmey AW. If it's adjusted correctly, it'll run forever.
Old 03-18-21, 10:35 AM
zhwang

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think so, but it's converted into a bombproof low maintainence commuter with full mudguards and 700cx35 Vittoria Voyager Hypers. Can gravel it up by adding some knobblies, removing the mudguards and adding a larger sprocket (current 42t x 18t).

I went full gas on the conversion - 70mm drum brakes front and rear, compressionless brake housing, vintage Shimano RSX STIs (the double left shifter is able to shift the three speeds by using the trim for the imaginary big chainring). A triple shifter without trim would be better, but they're very hard to find. Next steps are some nice tubeless amber wall tyres with some gravel tread.

I tried embedding some photos, but I need to have 10 or more posts to do that, or to paste a link.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sturmey Project.pdf (15.17 MB, 18 views)

Last edited by zhwang; 03-18-21 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-18-21, 12:56 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
Sort of, but not quite - I have an 88 Bianchi Strada running a 3sp Sturmey, but not the S3X. I run a downtube shifter, considered bar-end, but like the no cable housing thing. Running 32mm / 30mm tires on it now. I don't exactly do 'gravel', but I do ride on light trails and commute with it. Basically anything my kids can do on their Hotrock Street bikes.

The yellow thing kind of happened by accident - next tape job is likely yellow as well.

I like the Sturmey lever
Likes For Viich:
Old 06-21-21, 08:22 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 146 Posts
Just found this thread, but never post in this forum. Sorry for the late addition.

I have a bike with an S3X hub, and it's not a gravel type frame. I have done some easy gravel with, and varied off road riding with it. Gearing as shown is approx 70, 55, and 44 gear inches with the S3X ratios as they are. Have had great experience with the hub. It is heavy, but with the variety of gear inches it doesn't impact my average in speed, it actually helps. I like it a lot, but it has it's drawbacks.

With some wider tires/different frame and proper set up, if fixed off road is your thing, I think the hub can handle it as long as you are not using the hub/back pedaling for modulating speed.
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 06-22-21, 01:32 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
Have a look at Dahon Speed pro and speed pro TT. They run a 3 speed hub using Tiagra 3 speed shifter and a 9 speed tiagra rear mech. It works well. I considered doing to same on one of my folders but I thought the in the event of puncture, it would be a little more fiddley to fix at the road side (disconnecting the hub pull chain, have the spanner to take the wheel of etc.).