Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot Summit

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Peugeot Summit

Old 09-07-06, 09:33 PM
Blue Order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Peugeot Summit

Anybody know anything about these semi-vintage mountain bikes?
Old 06-27-21, 11:45 PM
th3realmckay

Bikes: '14 Leader Renovatio, '96 Trek 1400, '88 Fisher Montare XT

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by blue order
anybody know anything about these semi-vintage mountain bikes?
bump!
Old 06-28-21, 05:37 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3054 Post(s)
Liked 6,319 Times in 3,658 Posts
From the 1992 French brochure.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 06-29-21, 03:46 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by th3realmckay
bump!
Hell, this thread itself nearly qualifies to be C&V.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 06-29-21, 04:17 AM
th3realmckay

Bikes: '14 Leader Renovatio, '96 Trek 1400, '88 Fisher Montare XT

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Hell, this thread itself nearly qualifies to be C&V.
Right?!
Old 10-20-21, 04:13 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Most recent post less than 4 months ago. It’s been resuscitated!!

I have a similar Peugeot (Summit model but standard frame) mountain bike. Serial # prefix of Y203 which (from a little bit of research) would make it a 1982 built frame. Component group is SunTour XCT. Rear shifting via SunTour X-Press AccuShift Plus (7 speed indexed) and front via SunTour X-Press Power Control (non-indexed). Brakes are DiaCompe cantilevers. I have to say that the 7 speed index shifter does make me question the 1982 date ??

I “rescued” this bike from a Dumpster in a military housing area over 15 years ago. After an initial fluff & buff and a coup.e of add-ons, it was relegated to indefinite storage in my storage shed. Just for fun, I took it out to have a look at it. Gently hosed off the cobwebs & squirrel hair then wiped it down. Amazingly, it’s still in pretty good shape. Minimal / light surface rust on some of the chromed components. Shifters were a bit sluggish but loosened up nicely with a few sprays of LPS 2 General Purpose lube. Will probably squirt some into the cable housings on “general principles” but none seem to be binding.
I’m thinking of using it for some Winter riding this coming year. We’ll see.

Last edited by sovende; 10-20-21 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-20-21, 06:01 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
Most recent post less than 4 months ago. It’s been resuscitated!!

I have a similar Peugeot (Summit model but standard frame) mountain bike. Serial # prefix of Y203 which (from a little bit of research) would make it a 1982 built frame. Component group is SunTour XCT. Rear shifting via SunTour X-Press AccuShift Plus (7 speed indexed) and front via SunTour X-Press Power Control (non-indexed). Brakes are DiaCompe cantilevers. I have to say that the 7 speed index shifter does make me question the 1982 date ??...
This one is 1992, not 1982. The S/N doesn't indicate the decade, only the last digit of the year which, in this case, is "2". You need to refer to the frame features, graphics and components to determine the decade. For the subject bicycle, all three point to 1992.
Old 10-20-21, 06:16 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
This one is 1992, not 1982. The S/N doesn't indicate the decade, only the last digit of the year which, in this case, is "2". You need to refer to the frame features, graphics and components to determine the decade. For the subject bicycle, all three point to 1992.
Well, that makes a lot more sense to me. Thanks for the correction. Earlier, I had found a post RE: Peugeot frame dating by serial number which lead me (incorrectly) to believe that the Y203 prefix was specific to frames from 1982. I didn’t know for sure but I didn’t think that index shifters were common, if even available, in the early to mid ‘80s. To be sure, I’m not offended by the correction and glad to determine the correct vintage for this bike. So, thanks T-Mar!