Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 02-26-10, 09:01 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
The new Sturmey Archer 5 speed wide range hub has the same ratios as the AW plus a super low and a super high. The gearing is:
1 ----0.62
2-----0.75
3-----1.00
4-----1.33
5-----1.60

I've ridden this about seven miles so far, so I'm not going to present myself as an exert yet! But my initial reaction is that the gears are too far apart. That is, I really miss the close ratios of my Sturmey Archer 8 speed hubs. I'm sure I'll get used to it, though. Photos to follow!
Those might be the same ratios as the old SA 5-speed hub. And I have the same complaint about it that I do about the AW. I think the better condition you are in, the closer you want your ratios to be. I'm in pretty good shape, and those steps are annoying. When I shift down, I don't want to slow down that much. So the only way to adapt is to either (1) not shift down and pedal harder when the going gets a little tough or (2) shift down and reduce speed more than I want to. Usually I would do #2, which means a net slowdown.

What are the ratios of 8-speed hubs?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 02-26-10, 09:04 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by benajah
Beautiful bikes. One thing I miss on BF because I don't look at the vintage section much is just old fashioned, solid, reliable bikes. Nobody made this work in the 20th century quite like the British did. Perhaps the Italians perfected the racing bike, but the British perfected the everyday bike.
The Dutch would probably argue with you about that. And the Japanese, too. There is a thread -- I think it's in the commuting subforum -- entitled "Jitensha, Phillipines" where a bike shop owner in Jitensha shows the bikes he is refurbishing. They are mostly Japanese bikes. The Japanese are making everyday errand bikes with a huge variety of designs and features. They are all very different from each other. It shows how serious the bicycle is in Asia.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 02-26-10, 11:04 AM
AL NZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AL NZ
Tell me, please, Bicycle Repairman, what you know of the Raleigh Tourist.

I bought one here in UK, blue with white head tube, scruffy vinyl Brooks ( ? the low point of Brooks' history), 26" wheels with Westrick rims (very rusty), Sturmey 3 speed (which aint working properly and needs dismantling and cleaning), front dynohub, and all transfers present and "patinated".

So it is pretty original.

And man, is it heavy. I was planning on doing it up but haven't yet.

In 4 months I return to NZ and I am trying to decide whether to ship it home or sell it on

But I am in the early throes of the Disease, and I can still recognise my problem. So I am trying to stop it getting to marriage-threatening proportions, so I may sell it here in UK

All this talk has got me out in the carport to check my hub.

The Trent Tourist has a SW hub, dated 58 6 , so that makes sense.
I bought in off ebay for 40 quid and was told it was in 'good working order', but the gears slip! I have done nothing to it over winter, but was planning on pulling hub apart and cleaning it. But now I have read the negative press about the SW, I am wondering what is the best plan for the old bike

This bike
Old 02-26-10, 11:47 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Where exactly does one find a Benelux conversion? I've been looking online, and just about the only place I can find it is that there is one on Ebay for $200...I'm not spending that much for 3 extra gears.
Old 02-26-10, 12:56 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey85
Where exactly does one find a Benelux conversion? I've been looking online, and just about the only place I can find it is that there is one on Ebay for $200...I'm not spending that much for 3 extra gears.
I guess I was lucky to get mine for nothing... and the 3 speed conversion gives you 6 extra speeds

Doing the math I would have 9 unique gearings with 10% jumps and a gearing range from 42 to 91 gear inches as I cannot change the cyclo triple cogset from it's 19/21/23 and they also made a double conversion.

A lower cost solution... 2 Shimano 3 speed cogs can replace one SA cog and one could use any decent deraileur for switching duties and in this way you have more choice in cogs.

With a 2 tooth jump the spacing between the 6 speeds is 10%, with a 1 tooth jump it is 6%, and there is no gear duplication... shifting one of these takes a little practice if you want to sequence the gears but I treat them as a high low range.
Old 02-26-10, 01:22 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
How does one do this? Put the sprockets on opposite (so that the dish separates them)?
Old 02-26-10, 01:29 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I think one of my problems with three-speeds is that they're too reliable. They don't require enough tinkering from me.
Just buy another one. I currently have 5.
Old 02-26-10, 01:35 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by mickey85
How does one do this? Put the sprockets on opposite (so that the dish separates them)?
This is an old thread...

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...eed+dual+drive

Forrest was just a baby and hadn't been fixed...

Old 02-26-10, 01:39 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour III

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really regret selling off the one 3 speed I had. Regret not pulling the trigger on the Dunelt I found later.

One of these days I'll find another English 3 Speed and have another project. Beautiful, practical bikes.
Old 02-26-10, 02:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

politicalgeek, you will find a good English 3-speed. Just be patient. Some are going for well over $150, which I won't pay. I got mine a couple of months ago on Craigslist, for only $60. It was hardly ridden, has chrome fenders, and everything on it is original. Lie down like an alligator, watch, and wait.

Old 02-26-10, 02:21 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It'll come, I know. My luck with CL is that I usually find stuff when I am ready.

Working on a bent and within 3 weeks I found 2 excellent donor bikes for $50 a piece.

Been giving some thought to making my Schwinn Le Tour a single speed. Sure enough a 27" single speed wheel set shows up on CL, and 2 days later a crankset and new tires.

I'll probably troll ebay for a frame. I have a NOS SA hub and it would be fun to build it up from scratch.
Old 02-26-10, 04:00 PM
PolishGuy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
AL NZ- You may want to look into pulling the SW mechanicals from the hub shell and slipping in an AW gearset in it's place. Should be a fairly straighforward swap. I think Sheldon Brown or Tony Hadland had info on doing this. I put a FW into an AW shell until I got new wheels built and the FW worked just fine. Hopefully you will have the same results. PG.
Old 02-26-10, 04:37 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
This is such a great thread! So much useful info, I had to print and save some of it.

Thanks for the kind words on my bikes a few pages back as well.
Old 02-26-10, 08:17 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I guess I was lucky to get mine for nothing... and the 3 speed conversion gives you 6 extra speeds

Doing the math I would have 9 unique gearings with 10% jumps and a gearing range from 42 to 91 gear inches as I cannot change the cyclo triple cogset from it's 19/21/23 and they also made a double conversion.

A lower cost solution... 2 Shimano 3 speed cogs can replace one SA cog and one could use any decent deraileur for switching duties and in this way you have more choice in cogs.

With a 2 tooth jump the spacing between the 6 speeds is 10%, with a 1 tooth jump it is 6%, and there is no gear duplication... shifting one of these takes a little practice if you want to sequence the gears but I treat them as a high low range.
I have a triple cog set on a 1950 AM that I also got gratis but mine is a 14/19/24 and I'm not so sure it's a Cyclo because of the tooth count. With the AM I have a range of 44.8 to 102.5 with a 46t chain ring. Right now, I'm using a Campy Valentino to move the chain but I have used both a Benelux mkVII and a Favorit PWB. The PWB may be put back to work.
Old 02-26-10, 10:11 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PolishGuy
AL NZ- You may want to look into pulling the SW mechanicals from the hub shell and slipping in an AW gearset in it's place. Should be a fairly straighforward swap. I think Sheldon Brown or Tony Hadland had info on doing this. I put a FW into an AW shell until I got new wheels built and the FW worked just fine. Hopefully you will have the same results. PG.
Won't work. The SW shell is smaller. So much smaller you can't reuse the spokes to lace an AW into your wheel.

58 6 would be late in the production run so Al may be OK if he strips his hub and thoroughly cleans it. SWs could not tolerate anything sticky on the pawls.

See; https://my.ohio.voyager.net/~bdhayes/sa/sw.htm for good info.
Old 02-26-10, 10:18 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Those might be the same ratios as the old SA 5-speed hub.
Nope. The old 5 speeds had nearly evenly spaced ratios. Quite nice IMHO. The new steps, 20%/33.3%/33.3%/20% seem pretty dumb to me.
Old 02-26-10, 10:52 PM
kingfish254

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What an awesome thread and some wonderful bikes! Somehow I missed this one.

Here are the Three Speeds that I have.

1948 Rudge Whitworth Sport with dynohub
I haven't done anything with this one yet.

70s Raleigh Super DeLuxe
Haven't touched this one.

1973 Raleigh Twenty with my wife "Englished" Dahon
The old Englishman that sold me the 20 has found the chainguard. I am going to pick it up tomorrow.

Old 02-26-10, 10:54 PM
Oscuro

Bikes: LHT, International, 310

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sixty-fiver, there are days when I hate you...You make me want to add a 3-speed to my collection, and I'm trying to save money for other things!

The worst part is, a "60s vintage CCM" is up on used-vic for $140....

I wants it...but I don't think I can swing it right now.
Old 02-26-10, 11:08 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Oscuro
Sixty-fiver, there are days when I hate you...You make me want to add a 3-speed to my collection, and I'm trying to save money for other things!
So I probably shouldn't tell you that I went out for another blissful 30 km this afternoon or that the old Sports was the bell of the ball at the critical mass ride...

A younger fellow on a 70's Peugeot was pretty intrigued with the bike and the three speed and didn't know what that shiny steel ring in my hand was until I clipped it on my pant leg... cause if you ride a vintage bike you need a vintage pant clip.

The cog change worked out wonderfully and got to test the low on a short 12% grade and did not even have to get out of the saddle (legs were working good) and in high gear the bike is remarkably fast... I will put that down to a fairly aero position and tyres that roll fast and suck up bumps like they aren't even there.

Like it's sister the Lenton, it climbs very well too.

And the only noise besides the ticking of the hub is the occasional "sproing" from the sprung kickstand when I have hit some really rough stretches.
Old 02-26-10, 11:12 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Oscuro - I know a fellow here who got a nearly mint Raleigh Superbe at a yard sale... he paid $20.00 for it and the best part of the deal was that there was a ladies version selling for the same amount which he snapped up for his fiance.

A bike like that in this market will often sell for $275.00 plus if it has been tuned and serviced properly.

More pics... so you can hate me more.

Old 02-26-10, 11:50 PM
Oscuro

Bikes: LHT, International, 310

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
...Don't make me come over there and make you adopt me!
Old 02-27-10, 06:14 AM
AL NZ

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
So I probably shouldn't tell you that I went out for another blissful 30 km this afternoon or that the old Sports was the bell of the ball at the critical mass ride...

A younger fellow on a 70's Peugeot was pretty intrigued with the bike and the three speed and didn't know what that shiny steel ring in my hand was until I clipped it on my pant leg... cause if you ride a vintage bike you need a vintage pant clip.

The cog change worked out wonderfully and got to test the low on a short 12% grade and did not even have to get out of the saddle (legs were working good) and in high gear the bike is remarkably fast... I will put that down to a fairly aero position and tyres that roll fast and suck up bumps like they aren't even there.

Like it's sister the Lenton, it climbs very well too.

And the only noise besides the ticking of the hub is the occasional "sproing" from the sprung kickstand when I have hit some really rough stretches.
which bike are you talking about here, Bicycle Repairman? Is it a 3 speed SA hub with derailleurs as well? Have you posted a photo earlier in this thread that I somehow missed?
Old 02-27-10, 09:29 AM
AL NZ

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Sixty Fiver, or anyone else who knows, what's a Raleigh Dawn R Tourist like? Is it a Superbe? There is one available in good condition, with SS rims, very tempting.

How 'desirable' a Raleigh is it? Thanks...
Old 02-27-10, 09:48 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Yes, this thread is a lot of fun.

That Raleigh Super Deluxe doesn't look at all like a Raleigh. Are you sure it is?

Old 02-27-10, 12:25 PM
bigjim1

Bikes: 2 Raleigh Sprints. 1 Saracen tourer. dawes Galaxy, 1985 Harry Hall racer, 1991 Raleigh Special Products 853 Race bike. 1985 Raleigh Royal

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I picked this up last year. 1985 British, Nottingham made Raleigh Chiltern. Belonged to a Church Warden and came complete with Dynamo, speedometer, kickstand, original pump and saddlebag. Immaculate condition. Rides so smoooth with easy smooth gearchange. A lovely town bike. A quality finish and surprisingly not that heavy. I was lucky and paid £40 for it. They are fetching £150 on e-bay now over here. There is also a ladies version. I think production was stopped soon after this was made and Raleigh moved overseas. A bargain I think even at £150 when you see the new cost of town/dutch style bikes now.

Last edited by bigjim1; 03-01-10 at 08:37 AM. Reason: text
Likes For bigjim1:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.