Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Replacing a push button throttle with a variable speed throttle

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 03-17-22, 02:51 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts

So, I wanted to set my wife's bike up as an ebike so she could ride with me and/or our adult daughter (wife has had a recent total knee replacement) but I wanted to avoid having to piece things together, do research, etc. I got a leeds kit (https://leedsbikes.com/product/20-8-...ts-250-series/ - I paid a lot less than they've got it listed for now). I was apparently way too lazy. The thing comes with a push button (on/off) throttle. I don't understand it and thought it might make more sense in use but, no, I just don't get it and neither does my wife. No need to chastise me for my laziness and poor research, I've done that to myself already.

I'd like to replace the push button with a variable speed throttle. I found this Bafang BBS02/BBSHD Left Thumb Throttle: https://bafangusadirect.com/products...thumb-throttle. Any chance I can just cut off the push button throttle and replace it with this one? The kit has a BAFANG 8FUN Geared Motor Hub. Thanks!
Old 03-17-22, 07:29 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
A variable speed throttle has three wires AIR, on, off and a potentiometer which allows for variable speed. I would ask Leeds if your system will support this. It may be on/off only. I've never had one to examine.
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-18-22, 05:04 AM
Marylander

Oh, dang, I didn't consider the possibility that it's not technically possible. I just sent them an email. Thanks!

Worst case I'll just keep this setup and throw it on my mountain bike to use when I go to town by myself then I'll do something different, with variable speed, so my wife can ride with me.
Old 03-18-22, 06:00 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Some of the dumber ebike kits just have a basic controller supplied with a throttle as a working system and if you want switchable power levels you have to buy an additonal display package or handlebar controller but without that you can only really control with a throttle which if a pedelec bike is only enabled when you pedal. I feel this is a good system though as it allows quick and easy control of power and for such direct drive motor hubs can make more efficient use of power as you only twist the throttle when you need more power when set to different power levels its far more wasteful which for direct drive motors is far less efficient.

The basic violamart kits sold in huge numbers with no ability to set stepped power levels as supplied.
Old 03-18-22, 12:07 PM
Marylander

Ok, I heard back from Leeds. I asked:
Is it technically possible but you don't sell this type of throttle for the 250 series or is it technically not possible?
They responded:
We don't sell that type of throttle, and if you were to use another one it would put your kit out of warranty if it isn't already.
I'm not really worried about the warranty at this point. What information is needed to figure this out? The battery is sewn up into a bag and I assume the lump towards the front is the controller. I can't see any specifics without tearing out the stitches on the battery bag.
Old 03-18-22, 12:25 PM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
what do you mean "push button throttle"? is it just a on/off and then works off a pedal sensor?

Man they seem like a dirt bag company. no real instructions at all had to really look to find that stupid push button throttle that is by far the most horrible thing I have seen on a ebike.

so on the upside its a bafang motor so you can just buy a controller off ebay and throw their stuff in the garbage.
Old 03-18-22, 12:50 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
A manufacturer will rarely tell you how to install third party stuff, or how to circumvent their control software, since it will almost always void your warranty, and they don't want to be blamed for being the one to tell you how to void it.

I'll only ever buy an ebike (or conversion kit) that has a variable throttle, as well as having a "throttle only" option.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 03-18-22, 08:05 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Leeds has a 24V "250" kit, which is a simple two wire push-button throttle, while their 36V "350" kit has a display and three wire throttle. There could be some possible hacking to make a throttle work, but I doubt that it's possible.

A small 24V ebike controller wth throttle is probably 30 bucks, is inexpensive, but there's a bit of wiring to do or not do (a lot of things can be left unconnected . Leeds does not make it simple. They use a standard Bafang motor, but they put a nonstanderd connector on it, so one can't put a standard controller on for plug-n-play.
Old 03-19-22, 08:59 AM
2old

Since Leeds was so unhelpful, you might ask ebikesca if they have a controller & throttle that can be incorporated. If you try to use another controller, make sure it is "self-learning" or you could end up pulling your hair out.
Old 03-19-22, 09:33 AM
Doc_Wui

I'd just buy this controller, a throttle with power switch, and a pair of brake levers with switches for safety. The connectors are clearly labelled. The OP would not use all of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Brushless-Con...05&sr=8-7&th=1

The Leeds motor is a standard Bafang unit, but looks like a proprietary plug. I would just cut the plug off the Leeds controller and wire it to the above controller's motor connection. The wire colors should match. It also has learning, to accomodate any haphazard wiring.

Add this throttle.
https://www.amazon.com/ompait-Contro...s%2C98&sr=8-13

Add these brake levers.
https://www.amazon.com/Handle-Electr...ps%2C70&sr=8-2
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 03-19-22, 06:13 PM
Doc_Wui

By the way, it was pointed out that the Leeds Bafang motor may not have Hall sensors, so one would have to look at both sides of the motor connector to see how many pins it uses, before going in on the above controller.
Old 03-21-22, 06:18 AM
Marylander

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
By the way, it was pointed out that the Leeds Bafang motor may not have Hall sensors, so one would have to look at both sides of the motor connector to see how many pins it uses, before going in on the above controller.
The lead coming out of the motor uses 3 pins. What would the other side be, where it connects to the controller? The specific model of this motor is SWXK24V250W205R, FWIW. Thanks!
Old 03-22-22, 07:51 AM
2old

AFAICT, you'll need to locate a controller which has a connector that is compatible with your motor or do some splicing. This might not be easy, but possibly a supplier could fabricate one (again, I'd email ebikesca; they are expensive, but very knowledgeable).
Old 03-28-22, 12:34 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
MOST bafang hub drives have the typical 3 phase wires and 5 hall wires. Sometimes a 6th for either a speed signal of thermistor.

If somehow yours has only 3 leads they will be phase wires. These motors can be used with a self learning controller, OR this motor is brushed and not brushless. Open it up and confirm it.
I'm certain a typical throttle will not work for your push button.

-SP